Room Service Survey

DreamingBig1

We also usually order only light breakfast items and coffee/milk. A couple of times DD has ordered something for dinner after a long port day. Definitely won't be doing that for an up charge of 7.95, or even 4.95 if that is where the "convenience" charge ends up.

I'm truly dismayed by these changes that have been instituted over the past week or two. I've always defended NCL when people said they "nickeled and dimed" their customers. Boy, do I have egg on my face now. Hope NCL doesn't try to charge me 7.95 + 18% gratuity for delivering that egg.

Does anyone know if other cruise lines charge for this service?

Since room service and it's now cruise critic notorious "convenience" is the hot topic for the foreseeable future. Wondering how many people order room service, and what you on average order?

We typically order just light breakfast items. Coffee, rolls/Danish, yogurt/granola.

I do not order room service. I have taken advantage of the amenity in maybe 7 or more years on any cruise line that I have sailed on.

Since we "normally" sail in an interior, there's next to nothing on the room service menu. I ordered it once and it was terrible. The breakfast danish was HARD. Like my child wouldn't even eat the sweetness goodie. :(

I didn't even bother to look at the menu when we stayed in the balcony or mini-suite balcony. I don't know if the menu's are the same as an interior or not. Didn't really care. I gotta have my hot foods to get the day started!

Late Night BLT's

Breakfast on port days.

Does this mean in-suite dining has a $7.95 fee too? Our PCC touted in-suite dining as a suite perk.

According to NCL on their Facebook page, suites will not be charged for room service delivery

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced a new enhanced room service menu that is debuting on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast in addition to a wider variety of options available on the 24 hour menu. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $7.95 will be added to each order placed. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

I stand corrected, nothing like right out of the horses mouth as they say.

I'll still go shlepping to the buffet and bring it back to our cabin if I so choose to eat in room.

cheers...the Ump...:D

We typically order room service about 6 or 8 times during a 7 day... but in a suite.

The 64,000 dollar question is what sort of convenience charge will be associated with this activity...

Is Norwegian Cruise Line now charging for room service?

This is from the NCL website under frequently asked questions I copied the response listed below. Suites and the Haven will still have complimentary room service. This is only on the Breakaway and the Getaway ships .....for right now.

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced an enhanced room service menu that is debuting on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $7.95 will be added to each order placed (Room Service orders placed by guests sailing in Suites and The Haven will not attract a charge)*. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

*Prices subject to change.

49 days at sea with Norwegian and we have never order room service. There is always a buffet open, blue lagoon/ O'sheenan's plenty of food options and normally not a long walk.

Even while staying in a suite, we would run to grab something rather than call the butler and have it delivered.

I agree, we have had suites and I still find it easier to get up and go eat when I want. That being said, for those that thought room service was part of their cruise only to find a bill at the end of the cruise this would be a surprise. I always check our bill 2 or 3 times during the cruise to make sure that the charges are accurate.

There has been a big debate on room service charges on another thread. Here is the skinny from NCL this morning when I called:

This is a trial that only affects GETAWAY & BREAKAWAY sailings booked 3.30.2015 or AFTER.

I (personally) doubt this is a "trial!" In my mind this will go fleet wide soon, and I will be cruising with HAL instead. The service charges were raised, the balcony smoking was eliminated (dumb, people can throw butts over the railings anywhere on board, thus negating the "fire hazard" card), the prices have skyrocketed for cruising and they raised drink and soda prices, all in a small span of time.

I don't see good things for NCL. This is sad, NCL has always been my favorite line.

As for what I order from room service, usually a light breakfast with coffee and "maybe" a late night (for me, that's 11:00PM!) snack but that's it.

Happy cruising!

We order breakfast room service daily. FWIW, we don't mind paying a fee for a hot breakfast. On Princess, we ordered the special, balcony breakfast for $35 three mornings. If they would have altered the menu, we would have ordered it more. :o The other mornings we were able to write in an omelet & bacon on the RS tag for DH. OTOH, we don't think NCL's continental breakfast options are worth a fee. Being charged for what was/is(?) currently available is ridiculous. We're now considering forgetting about booking Getaway & looking elsewhere, unless the menu improves substantially. A menu upgrade would be a best case scenario for us. Obviously, RS breakfasts are a major part of our cruise vacations that we're not willing to give up. We never use RS any other time of day though.

We almost never do room service. Once ordered a hamburger for lunch (actually the best hamburger I've ever had on a cruise ship FWIW !!) and many years ago ordered a couple of cans of ginger ale when I was feeling the "motion of the ocean" !! :)

Since my DH likes to sleep in and I am an early bird I ordered coffee and fruit everyone morning. I purchased a future cruise certificate on the Jewel this month and was on the fence about cancelling it because do not see any combination of ship/itinerary that I want to book. Now with a potential charge for room service I am decided calling to cancel and will be trying another cruise line.

Room Service fees do BOTHER us, even though we don't use it that often and given the poor/enhanced choices & valued depreciated services - NCLH won't be counting on extra revenue from us to boost their bottomline to please Wall Street.

I was going to post this tomorrow instead - but, nobody would take it seriously ... or, maybe.

I can see folks bringing takeout containers, ziplock bags, picnic coolers and large insulated travel mugs (we got them in variety of sizes & shape for car trips over the years, LOL) and hauling items from the buffet & the MDR, setting a new brand new trend in challenging Feestyle Cruising, the Norwegian way ... :D

Dirty cups & plates outside some of the staterooms for collections, afterward ... wait, surcharge for excess cleaning services. :eek:

Breakfast quite often (especially on a busy excursion day)

Burger and chips a few times when we have had the odd lazy afternoon/evening watching films/sport/the sea from the balcony. I wouldn't mind so much a few dollars fee for each delivery, i can understand the need to do that in a cost-cutting/penny-pinching environment.

It would be a shame as we actually liked the selection offered - it wasn't

too much that it encouraged us to order from it (if it was too nice it would be tempting to stay on the balcony every day!), but was enough to give us a decent choice.

$7.95 does seem excessive - and will probably just result in people getting food/pop/coffee from the buffet, overfilling their plates/cups, and spilling/dropping it all on the way back to their rooms! :D

We have only ever used RS on the Epic for breakfast and that was because it was a very port-intensive cruise and we were getting off the ship fairly early each day. It was ideal for what it was, but we sure as heck wont be paying $8 for the *convenience*. Shame that, because we are doing the Epic trip again and I was looking forward to coffee and a Danish on the balcony! Oh well, just means we'll have to get up a bit earlier! :eek:

We have never used Room Service on any cruise, since we get up and have our breakfast in the buffet or MDR. So no 7.99 charges for us.

We did use it in hotels, when we needed to leave for early-morning flights, before the breakfast room opened. I'm sure that we paid much more than the $7.99, for that service, but it was necessary, especially when the kids were along.