Tipping

RLK33853

All I can say is after working for 10 years on Cruise Ships:

On Mass Market Lines tipping is the norm! Crew makes whimsical wages and their income is basically based on tips.

On Luxury Lines where tips are included, one would wonder that a crew member makes more then sometimes a Dr. in a hospital.

My base salary went from $1149 a month (NCL) to over $6000 on MS Europa!

Still made the most $ on NCL though...more then the Captain...LOL!

Don't tip if it is included! Do crew fund to get them all, also the guys who clean the decks something to look forward to...like a crew party, sports events, shore excursions and so on! CREW is well off on Luxury Lines!

All I can say is after working for 10 years on Cruise Ships:

On Mass Market Lines tipping is the norm! Crew makes whimsical wages and their income is basically based on tips.

On Luxury Lines where tips are included, one would wonder that a crew member makes more then sometimes a Dr. in a hospital.

My base salary went from $1149 a month (NCL) to over $6000 on MS Europa!

Still made the most $ on NCL though...more then the Captain...LOL!

Don't tip if it is included! Do crew fund to get them all, also the guys who clean the decks something to look forward to...like a crew party, sports events, shore excursions and so on! CREW is well off on Luxury Lines!

What was your position? A room steward or waiter?

j

Started as a Concierge, over to Front Desk Manager then to Hotel Management!

Thanks for the insight. Having seen what the Regent GM puts up with, $6k a month is underpaid:)

What would you guess a Regent Stewardess (Housekeeping) makes a month?

What about an assistant waiter and a waiter? Assume that they have had at least 4-5 contracts.

Thanks,

j

I have been following this thread for quite some time and have chosen to remain silent, however the time has come for me to include my two cents and correct some misinformation that seems to be going around.

I will preface this post by acknowledging that the tipping habits and customs are quite different in the U.S. than they are in other parts of the world, my post will focus mostly on the U.S. market, but with regard to Regent, is applicable to all passengers.

There have been many graduate thesis papers written on the practice of tipping and the business and psychological implications. How many of us have witnessed individuals skip out entirely or leave a minimal amount for a tip? There are well known studies that have shown that people who at anytime of their working career depended on tip income to pay their expenses are much more generous tippers than the general public. On the other hand, many well to do individuals do not believe or practice generally accepted tipping etiquette.

When Regent introduced "all gratuities are paid", it was a marketing gimmick, no more, no less. In order to fit into the theme of "all inclusive", the tips were paid for at the time of the cruise payment, and not added to the account to be paid at the end of the cruise. It has now become quite popular in the cruise industry for the tips to somehow be included, whether it is a promotion of the cruise line or a perk from the travel agent.

One generally tips to show appreciation for good service. Unfortunately, in some industries, but especially in cruising, revenue from tipping is used to pay for base salaries which is why a number of cruise lines automatically add the tips to the account. It is a method of generating necessary revenue through the back door. This is not "extra income" to the employees, but rather their base wages. They advertise "low fares", but then add in all the extras, which includes the tips. One of the main reasons that cruise lines incorporate themselves outside of the United States is to bypass the labor and wage laws. There is a reason why so many cruise employees, whether they are labor or management come from either third world countries with staggering rates of unemployment or lesser developed countries. Only the very top employees, esp those with constant passenger interaction are paid a wage that they would expect to receive for doing the same or similar work at a luxury resort in the US or Europe.

Individuals like to show their appreciation for a job well done and do so in many ways, from cash, to gifts, to a handwritten thank you note. If someone has gone out of their way or have gone above and beyond what is expected, people like to acknowledge that and show they appreciate the effort.

I am a highly compensated white collar professional and there is no tipping in my profession. However, I have many clients who for whatever reason provide me with "tokens of appreciation", whether it be a gift certificate to a new restaurant, gift cards, flowers, or a donation to a charity that is near and dear to my heart. Do I seek this out? NO. Have I tried to stop it - YES, for many years until someone explained to me that although people pay me quite well for the services rendered to them, many people like to show their appreciation in other ways. I will be honest, it is flattering to know that my services are appreciated and respected.

Do I believe that tipping has gotten out of hand in the States - Absolutely yes. In fact, a few months ago we saw a tip jar at the bank! But for the individuals who sacrifice so much to work on the ships, many leaving their country and family behind, and working 24/7 for many months at a time, and do it with a smile in order for others to have a luxury vacation, it is absolutely insulting to me to think that it is wrong to show one's appreciation for the service provided. No one is forcing anyone to tip anyone - however, for those individuals who wish to either contribute to the crew fund, or provide an individual with "something extra", there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. If Regent were to initiate a policy that states "absolutely no tipping allowed", you can be sure that many of the crew would be seeking other employment. Even though Regent employees are "well paid according to cruise standards", I think many on this board would be quite shocked if they knew how little they are actually paid, especially after paying $1,000 per day per person to be a passenger.

Most restaurants now have automatic gratuities for larger parties -however, we have tipped extra when the staff went beyond their duty and responsibility to provide an extraordinary experience. It is exactly the same on Regent - there are always a few employees who go above and beyond and we show our appreciation. Some cruises have had no such employees and others have had as many as sixteen. However, we just don't give cash, we also provide a handwritten letter not only thanking the individual, put pointing out the circumstances that we found special.

For all those individuals who believe that individual tipping should not be allowed - I have a suggestion for you. Maybe you can get a labor intensive service oriented job, one that requires your attention 24/7 with very little time for yourself, where you leave your friends and family for long periods of time - do it for just 30 days and them come back to us and explain why individual tipping should be eliminated.

If individuals do not want to or feel uncomfortable with the concept of tipping, they have nothing to worry about because all gratuities have been prepaid and there is no conflict. However, NO ONE should be discouraging others from tipping, making them uncomfortable for doing so or make them believe it is forbidden to do so. While I am completely against the concept of tipping at the beginning of the cruise in order to receive "special attention", leaving a "token of appreciation" to individuals who have gone above and beyond is an extremely thoughtful gesture. All individuals like to be flattered and realize that their hard work and effort is appreciated, especially those who have gone above and beyond what is asked or required of them.

Getting off my soapbox now

gnomie :)

..............t is absolutely insulting to me to think that it is wrong to show one's appreciation for the service provided. No one is forcing anyone to tip anyone - however, for those individuals who wish to either contribute to the crew fund, or provide an individual with "something extra", there is absolutely nothing wrong with that..........

........For all those individuals who believe that individual tipping should not be allowed - I have a suggestion for you. Maybe you can get a labor intensive service oriented job, one that requires your attention 24/7 with very little time for yourself, where you leave your friends and family for long periods of time - do it for just 30 days and them come back to us and explain why individual tipping should be eliminated....

Like!!!

j

Two years ago, when on a Mariner cruise, we were invited to dine with the Captain (why? No idea). The subject of tipping came up in the conversation and the Captain stated quite plainly that tips are included in the fare, the staff get paid well and management strongly disapproves of extra tipping. He said it leads to dissention amongst the crew as they tend to argue amongst themselves over who gets to attend to the 'perceived' best tippers. Probably the crew box is the best option for those who feel they need to tip extra.

Two years ago, when on a Mariner cruise, we were invited to dine with the Captain (why? No idea). The subject of tipping came up in the conversation and the Captain stated quite plainly that tips are included in the fare, the staff get paid well and management strongly disapproves of extra tipping. He said it leads to dissention amongst the crew as they tend to argue amongst themselves over who gets to attend to the 'perceived' best tippers. Probably the crew box is the best option for those who feel they need to tip extra.

You (and the Captain) made an excellent point -- one that I had not heard previously but it makes sense. When Radisson/Regent started, they decided upon what type of environment that they wanted for their luxury ships. It worked well and has continued to do so for all of these years.

American's are known around the world for over-tipping. Perhaps it makes them feel better about themselves since many people in the world do not have what those of us in the U.S., Canada, Europe, etc. have. IMO, it makes us look like idiots (especially since tipping is frowned upon in some very major countries in the world...... to go against their culture does not make sense). In any event, as stated previously on these threads, the Regent crews are well paid. Those most in need of extra money are those that do not ever receive tips - (laundry, dishwashers, etc.) The Crew Fund is the way to help everyone - not just "visible" crew!

People that want to make a difference in the lives of those who have less than we do typically give to causes that help feed, clothe and give medication to people that cannot afford it. They do not brag -- it is done quietly without recognition needed or expected.

While this is my opinion and others may differ, hopefully, whatever you do will be done quietly and respectfully. In terms of Regent, stating the policy is what Regent prefers. If you really want to tip, there are many, many cruise lines that expect it and underpay their crew because they know they will make tips.

If management strongly disapproved of tipping, then why when one approaches the reception desk during the last few nights of any given cruise, they are more than prepared for the passengers who ask for envelopes (they have an entire box of envelopes sitting on the desk), a large amount of smaller bills, etc. In my numerous cruises with Regent, NO ONE at the reception desk or from "management" has ever mentioned the crew fund to us or has discouraged us from tipping. In fact, the first time we traveled with the children and the amount of work to service our suite increased due to the two extra beds, we inquired from management how we could show our room attendants our appreciation and the first word was "a tip is always nice" - again, absolutely no mention of the crew fund.

Perception of who is the "best tipper" can be quite tricky - it never works out the way you hope it will.

I will also add that as someone who spent the first half of my adult life in the hospitality industry....I have become increasingly disillusioned with this crew fund concept as a first line of thanks. I do not remember on which cruise board I read this but mention was made that it was so wonderful that the crew lounge was getting a great new sofa paid for from $$ from the crew fund. I absolutely EXPECT management to be providing basics for the staff and I am not interested in financing furnishings.

When I met my husband, I was waitressing and bartending and making MUCH more money than he was and of course the other guys in the kitchen. That was because I chose a job that includes tips instead of an hourly job back of house. That kitchen gang was putting out great food in that little restaurant, although of course they did not have to deal with the customers like serving staff does. It was NEVER suggested or expected that we out front should feel that we should contribute to the kitchen salaries nor should it.

When we have wonderful experiences on board from those who look after us....and we are SO easy, we make mention on the comment cards and extend a thank you envelope as we are leaving. I very much hope that the crew on the lines that we sail are paid fairly and well but they are also quite free to choose another path if they are unhappy. I find this constant drumbeat about how hard everyone works to be slightly patronizing. We work really hard too. I don't want to slide into buddy status and actually intrude on the time that people need to do their very hard job. I consider them to be professional working people who don't need my pity. In the U.S., tipping is common to bartenders, waitstaff and housekeeping jobs. I do believe there is quite a bit more tipping going on than what we are led to think here on CC and we are just fine with that. What is the huge deal?

The "first line of thanks" on Regent is putting crew member's names on your final comment card. This is all that is required. At the end of each cruise there is a video "good-bye" from the crew. They state several times in the video how important it is to fill out the comment card.

It seems that this topic is a big deal because people new to Regent ask a question about it. Generally a few people quote the Regent policy which should be enough. However, someone invariably explains why they do not follow the policy. Then the Crew Fund comes up as an alternative.

These "tipping" threads remind me of "dress code" threads - both of which are very easy to understand policies but it seems that some passengers want to go around the policies. On the dress code threads it usually has to do with wearing very expensive, colored denim jeans that someone brags about wearing and being allowed to dine in a restaurant.

While no one who posts on the Regent board has the "right" to tell people what to do, one would have thought that Regent could set policies/strong suggestions in place and they would be respected.

For all those individuals who believe that individual tipping should not be allowed - I have a suggestion for you. Maybe you can get a labor intensive service oriented job, one that requires your attention 24/7 with very little time for yourself, where you leave your friends and family for long periods of time - do it for just 30 days and them come back to us and explain why individual tipping should be eliminated.

If individuals do not want to or feel uncomfortable with the concept of tipping, they have nothing to worry about because all gratuities have been prepaid and there is no conflict. However, NO ONE should be discouraging others from tipping, making them uncomfortable for doing so or make them believe it is forbidden to do so. While I am completely against the concept of tipping at the beginning of the cruise in order to receive "special attention", leaving a "token of appreciation" to individuals who have gone above and beyond is an extremely thoughtful gesture. All individuals like to be flattered and realize that their hard work and effort is appreciated, especially those who have gone above and beyond what is asked or required of them.

Like, Like, Like

OMG Thank you for the wonderful chuckles this evening - after reading this entire thread.

Prada Cowboy I really want to thank you for being a wonderful voice of experience and reason. I have learned a great deal from your post:)

This will be my first "luxury cruise", but my 10th cruise (on several different cruise lines). I adore great service and being a wee bit pampered, while also considering myself to be pretty low maintenance. What makes the cruise for me are the people I meet and port adventures in new places. I will either add a little extra at the end or I won't and only I need to know what I decided. This bantering back and forth on who is right has again served to provide me with a little entertainment this evening ( I live a very boring life at times), but has not really swayed me one way or the other.

Keep up the good work all - I will check back soon (when I need a good chuckle again);)

IMO, Prada Cowboy is the only poster with "real" experience on cruise ships. Being in the hospitality industry is not the same as working on a cruise line (remember that cruise lines are not registered in the U.S. and therefore are not governed by their rules and regulations). IMO, you can discount almost all posts, including mine, and pay attention to what he has to say because it is rare that we are able to hear from someone that has actually worked on a cruise ship. Secondly, Atriumgirl has posted comments from the ship Master. No one can really argue with that.

I enjoy thinking about (and posting) what I believe are the feelings of the cruise line, the officers and the crew. However, there are very few people that know the real story. My sincere thanks to these two posters that understand the situation way more than I do.

Cruise ship Hotel Director positions are advertised in the Hospitality section of Help Wanted sites. Prada Cowboy.....would you be so kind as to give us the "official Regent" position on tipping? Perhaps it could be turned into a sticky. Thank you.

I did look at Regent website and it does state that gratuities are included. I see no mention o.f the Crew Fund but it's good to know that it must also be included or funded by cruise fares....unless it's not. If it's not, then it must be being funded by passenger tips. And I also welcome official answers.

I did look at Regent website and it does state that gratuities are included. I see no mention o.f the Crew Fund but it's good to know that it must also be included or funded by cruise fares....unless it's not. If it's not, then it must be being funded by passenger tips. And I also welcome official answers.

Let me help you..... first go to this link http://www.rssc.com/frequently-asked-questions/onboard/

Then scroll down and click on "Onboard" and you'll find:

Should I tip onboard?

Gratuities are included in the cruise fare for all Regent employees. If guests feel strongly about expressing their gratitude to the crew, they should be encouraged to make a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund at the Purser Office. This money is utilized for crew parties and events.

Edited by Travelcat2

Prada Cowboy would seem to speak from a privileged perspective (concierge then management) and that from years ago, he has little notion of current wage scales and he doesn't seem to have much regard for lower-level workers. There's a whiff off his first post that puts me off.

I'm not one to trust management or officers when they advise passengers not to tip; after all, THEY aren't getting tipped so why endorse the notion. As for squabbles about who gets to work for those with largess, well, that's just nasty. I believe this has been said to passengers; I don't swallow the notion myself.

Tipping will be debated ad infinitum on luxury lines. Tipping those who have rendered special service does not obviate contributing to the crew fund; translation: tipping and crew fund aren't mutually exclusive.

You don't want to tip? That's cool but don't advise me not to do so.

Edited by OctoberKat