Tipping

RLK33853

Sometimes we tip, sometimes we don't. It really depends on the service provided. I do believe that exceptional service deserves something extra at the end of the cruise.

On our Regent Cruises, we have never felt like the butler, steward, waiter, etc. was asking or hinting for a tip. All tips have been gratefully accepted.

Have not done the Crew Fund. Something to consider, but I would still tip exceptional service as well.

You are fortunate that you have not had a situation where a butler was waiting for a tip. IMO, the more passengers that tip, the higher the expectation. As has been posted above (by someone that worked for cruise lines and a poster that had a conversation with a Captain regarding tipping on Regent), tipping creates dissention amongst the crew. Of course tips are gratefully accepted. Recipients are so happy that they brag about it to other crew members. Not a good scenario IMO.

There are posters that think they know what is going on in terms of cruise ship employees, tax laws, etc., but most of us know nothing because we have not worked for companies that are registered outside of the U.S.

As has been posted by a number of individuals, the poster who claimed that income earned outside of the US is tax free is mistaken. A number of people have correctly stated the current situation, but failed to mention that foreign based employees may also be subject to social security and medicare tax obligations depending on their employment circumstances. The filing of tax returns for foreign earned income can be quite complex and the preparation can be extremely time intensive, esp for employees who earn a substantial amount of their income from tips.

A bit of trivia, the one place that was exempt from all U.S. taxes was employment within the United Nations, because the land it sits on is not actually part of the United States, but belongs to all countries that belong to the United Nations. A number of years ago that changed for US employees who have their salary adjusted so that they now pay taxes, but that is an accounting lesson to be learned next semester!

With regard to U.S. employees, the main reason they are not suitable for cruise ship work is the 40 hour work week rule - anyone considered less than management who works greater than 40 hours week is entitled to overtime of 1 1/2 times their salary. There are currently many legal cases of companies trying to "promote" their workforce in order not to be required to pay overtime, however, it would be almost impossible to state that room attendants or dining room employees are "management".

gnomie :)

You are fortunate that you have not had a situation where a butler was waiting for a tip ... Of course tips are gratefully accepted. Recipients are so happy that they brag about it to other crew members.

I have been a numerous Regent cruises and have never seen any employee, including butlers, waiting for a tip. In fact, a number of times I have had to search out individuals in order to tip them. And yes we have had circumstances where individuals have refused to accept tips.

With regard to bragging, many of the Regent employees come from countries where bragging is not part of their culture so I doubt there is much "bragging" going on. I suspect quite the opposite, if a good tip was obtained, the news is kept quiet and not shared with other crew mates.

This is not the reality on Regent (who have few, if any, non-officer U.S. crew members). I agree that people posting U.S. law, etc. are correct for the situations they are discussing. However, I cannot discount what we have been told by a long term crew member (Prada Cowboy) and by the many crew member we have spoken with.

Additionally, I learned on this thread that tipping creates problems (as discussed above and in previous posts).

While I did not want to mention this earlier, in addition to the 40 hour work week (only for ships registered in the U.S.), it has been stated numerous times to us that U.S. citizens are not used to giving the level of service that crew members from other countries are willing to give. We have all witnessed extremely rude behavior to passengers who feel that "entitled". This, in addition to working 7 days/week with few breaks, is the main reason why there are so few crew members from the U.S.

I know as a fact that crew members "share" information about passengers. I called it "bragging" but, it is sharing of information - no matter what name is given. Butlers, in particular, share information. As many know, I do not state things as a "fact" unless I have personal knowledge of it.

Anyone that has not had a butler (again, picking on butlers) that stand around waiting for a tip is fortunate. It is very uncomfortable. I applaud those crew members that refuse a tip.

While no one can tell anyone else what to do, it would behoove passengers that care about and respect Regent's culture and guidelines to follow them. Certainly, if someone has gone above and beyond their normal duties, they deserve something extra. For us, an example of "going above and beyond" is:

When we have stayed in upper suites, parties have been put on when the butler (who has other people to take care of), greets our guests, serves them drinks, puts out hors d'oeuvre's and serves them -- while finding time to make sure that their other guests are taken care of. After dinner, we return to a perfectly immaculate suite. Note: Our stewardess/steward also makes sure to clean our suite before the event as well as after.

Edited by Travelcat2

We have all witnessed extremely rude behavior to passengers who feel that "entitled".

Correcting myself. That sentence was suppose to read "We have all witnessed extremely rude behavior to the crew by passengers who feel 'entitled' "

loads of Americans work 7 days a week....whether by choice or necessity to support the lifestlyles picked including financing travel on Regent. Much of this work ethic for most was happening long before "work" included sitting in front of a keyboard pushing buttons. That has been my choice. What industry doesn't have workers that talk about the customers? Some guests are easy and some are PITAs. It is much easier to give good service of any kind to pleasant, fair people. I keep picking up this vaguely patronizing tone toward crew workers.......who I assume are there by choice.

We have never ever had this "uncomfortable" situation on Regent or Silversea and have also usually had to look around for our crew prior to disembarking. Rather than berating guests who are attempting to do a nice thing as a way to show thanks.....perhaps management should be informed via comment cards....YES!....comment cards...that certain staff are seeming to be manipulators and making guests feel "uncomfortable". Perhaps some crew are not Regent caliber. Back on point......most work very hard. I work very hard.

I would like to add that if for any reason a crew member feels insulted to have been handed an envelope, they are perfectly free to march it right down to reception and donate it to the crew fund. Everyone will be happy.

Friends of mine just got off the Voyager - they travel extensively on Regent and are known as "extremely good tippers", both on ship and off - they are of the belief, as are many of us, that life has been very good to us and one should show appreciation when desired. This morning I asked them point blank - was anyone hanging around waiting for a tip, did any employee seem eager for a tip or did any employee seem to know that they were good tippers and appear to go out of their way in order to be a beneficiary of their good will.

The answer that I got was ABSOLUTELY NOT - even from employees who they have tipped well previously - they report that their cruise was fantastic, the employees were great and as usual, there were a few employees, including their butler, who went above and beyond. But this idea that the employees know who the "good tippers" are and seek them out so that they too can also be a recipient of tips is simply not true.

This has also been our experience - we have never had an employee seek a tip or know that we also tip quite well and try to "butter us up" so that we would tip them also.

Having sailed on several "all-inclusive" cruises, we offer the following:

Never have experienced a Regent employee or contractor fishing for a tip;

The crew fund was explained to us as a donation, not a tip;

We often tip exceptional guides on shore excursions;

Cruise Directors, without exception, when asked about recognition for exceptional service, answered that writing to the corporate HQ and notifying your TA or consultant was always the best way.

Gerry & Gail

In our experiences we have always tipped regardless of (gratuities included) if we had good service.

I know it's not for all but we got to know some staff and just wanted to say a thank you for being good at their job.

We also had one member of staff decline our tip. She was very discreet about it too so i really don't think staff are looking for anything.

I hadn't heard about the staff fund so would happily contribute that too.

After reading comments from someone that worked in the cruise industry and a post from someone that discussed the subject with a Captain, my thoughts have changed. It is no longer about what I feel good doing (or not), it is about the problems that tipping apparently causes on Regent amongst the crew. If Cruise Directors do not recommend tipping, Regent does not recommend tipping and tipping causes issues on board, who am I to say they are wrong? In the future, I will give to the Crew Fund.... period (no matter what the service is).

Thank you Prada Cowboy (and the poster that discussed tipping with the Captain). You have opened my eyes to something that I was completely unaware of.

In terms of expectations, the only crew members that have "expected" a tip were butlers. And, the only crew members we have ever had issues with are butlers (however, some butlers we have had are amazingly good). Now that Regent is promoting crew members to butler status, it will be interesting to see what happens in the future.

The rest of you will do whatever it is that makes you feel good. No one is trying to stop you -- perhaps some posters have simply tried to expand our knowledge of how tipping affects the crew.

After reading comments from someone that worked in the cruise industry and a post from someone that discussed the subject with a Captain, my thoughts have changed. It is no longer about what I feel good doing (or not), it is about the problems that tipping apparently causes on Regent amongst the crew. If Cruise Directors do not recommend tipping, Regent does not recommend tipping and tipping causes issues on board, who am I to say they are wrong? In the future, I will give to the Crew Fund.... period (no matter what the service is).

Thank you Prada Cowboy (and the poster that discussed tipping with the Captain). You have opened my eyes to something that I was completely unaware of.

In terms of expectations, the only crew members that have "expected" a tip were butlers. And, the only crew members we have ever had issues with are butlers (however, some butlers we have had are amazingly good). Now that Regent is promoting crew members to butler status, it will be interesting to see what happens in the future.

The rest of you will do whatever it is that makes you feel good. No one is trying to stop you -- perhaps some posters have simply tried to expand our knowledge of how tipping affects the crew.

I think this is a very useful and thought-provoking post. I can see both sides and by no means would impose on others to tell them how to act.

It serves as a reminder to us all, however, that while, in any given situation, we may assume our individual behaviours impact only on ourselves, they contribute to the development of cultures within organisations or groups of people. As such, I would prefer to be equitable in my distribution of any financial acknowledgement of good service. Posts from those experienced in the area would suggest that this is most likely to positively affect the culture of excellence in service on the ship.

After reading comments from someone that worked in the cruise industry and a post from someone that discussed the subject with a Captain, my thoughts have changed. It is no longer about what I feel good doing (or not), it is about the problems that tipping apparently causes on Regent amongst the crew. If Cruise Directors do not recommend tipping, Regent does not recommend tipping and tipping causes issues on board, who am I to say they are wrong? In the future, I will give to the Crew Fund.... period (no matter what the service is)..........

......................................................................................................

As gnomie1 pointed out, how do you explain why there are tip envelopes at the front desk? I ask for them, specifically, and like other have, and I get them. I ask specifically for a "tip" envelope. The person behind the desk, sometime even the Asst Purser or Chief Purser, always gives them to me.

I have never once been told "That is against policy" or "Give to the crew fund." Is this like lots of thing at Regent? They tell you one thing at Corporate and another on the ship?

As to your last question "How tipping affects the crew." It makes them happy, every single time :rolleyes:.

Again I will point out to you that Regents policy say nothing about tipping extra. If I do not feel the included gratuity is sufficient then I can tip more.

It Regent wants to make no tipping an official policy then let them change it to "No Tipping" It is as simple as that!

j

I find it interesting that tipping is a topic of discussion on several boards at the moment (Seabourn, Silversea,Windstar). I am Australian and tipping is not part of our culture. I appreciate that when in USA I need to tip, however I find I'm never quite sure when, to whom, and how much. This is why I love traveling on lines that have tips INCLUDED. I have found that the crew work hard and mostly are wonderful. This is why I will give to the crew fund. What does a butler or waiter do that is above and beyond the call of duty that deserves an extra tip? It is often stated that the crew know who tips and who doesn't? How? Do they look at the country of origin and think "they are from Australia, they won't tip? We won't go out of our way for them?" I hope not. This is why I find this topic disturbing. If tipping extra becomes the norm on "luxury" lines this will be a game changer for us.

The posts by Prada have been very interesting and enlightening.

On the subject of "US Persons"...

There are various tax treaties with different countries that will determine the tax treatment. The point is that a US person still needs to file a tax return and pay taxes (somewhere). To say a US person can work on a ship tax free I don't believe is a correct statement, they would still need to have a permanent address in the U.S or somewhere and pay tax on their earnings.

and it is my understanding that if you stay out of the country for 18 months then there is no US tax. Medical personnel went there all the time.

All " US Persons" must file US tax returns, plus other paperwork if they work abroad, including information about all of their foreign investments. So they need to pay taxes somewhere, somewhere with a tax treaty with the US, and they own the IRS/Treasure Department a bunch of paper to prove that.

And just to be clear, you do not stop being a "US Person" simply because you're out of the country for an extended period. Who knows what the case is for all of the nationalities that work on the ships, it may be much simpler for them. For EU nationals perhaps it's just as complicated, but it's hard to believe they pay no taxes.

I note from FAQs on the Regent website is that the policy is actually to donate, if one wishes to tip, to the crew fund.

I realise people do exactly what they want to do, just saying this is official policy. We have personally only been very obviously followed by a waiter looking for a tip at the end of a cruise, and this was on Silversea. He had been very efficient, but it still left a nasty taste, and we did not give him a tip, but certainly did not report him.

Sweet Baby Jesus! STOP Fighting about donating money!

Why are there so view Americans on board, because those kids are lazy workers and it's not that they have to file taxes. NCL America was and still is a disaster!

YES there are some good US Crew members, but they are just maybe 1% of the crew in the world! Mostly is Asian and East European followed by West Europeans (which make the most on board), YES crew members support their families at home and go shopping at Gucci and Louis Vuitton like you in the ports of call. Stop to pity crewmembers!!!! They signed up for it, know what's waiting for them on board and earn respectively a good $$$!!!!

It's a job like any other!

Agree Prada Cowboy. I do appreciate good service and have always treated the crew that offers it with respect and gratitude, but lets not lionize them as if they were indenture servants or something like that.

OTOH, I have no issue with pax that want to recognize anybody that has gone "beyond the call of duty". Since that has never happened to me in Regent I have never had the urge to tip any further.

Macmillan dictionary on the web defines gratuity: "a small amount of money that you give to someone to thank them for doing something for you." Another web definition: T"he definition of gratuity is a sum of money given to someone who provides service or a favor as a way to show graciousness or thankfulness" Other definitions include simply additional money for services. Regent has taken care of the additional money for services, but not, necessarily, for what we want to give as graciousness or thankfulness for being especially helpful to us individually.

Anyone who travels on Regent has the ability to show such thankfulness or graciousness, (whether directly or to the crew fund) and need not search for reasons not do do so. As pointed out above, the crew can certainly use such money.

This discussion has been all over the map and back again.

With regard to cultural norms there's little to say other than acknowledging the existence of same.

I expect the three usual luxury lines pay somewhat better than other lines but I'm less than assured those wages are sufficient compensation. And, I'm much less than assuaged by PradaCowboy's posts here. Jobs are, naturally jobs (what else?) but the conditions of employment with regard to origins of crew are less than equal. It's possible PradaCowboy would be unwilling to work under the terms endured by many of his less advantaged cohorts.

The notion that occasional gratuities for exceptionally fine service will ruin the experience for others leaves me ... nauseaus.

I appreciate the antipodean approach differs and i respect that.

Anyone who travels on Regent has the ability to show such thankfulness or graciousness, (whether directly or to the crew fund) and need not search for reasons not do do so.

Outstanding and succinct.

This discussion has been all over the map and back again.

With regard to cultural norms there's little to say other than acknowledging the existence of same.

I expect the three usual luxury lines pay somewhat better than other lines but I'm less than assured those wages are sufficient compensation. And, I'm much less than assuaged by PradaCowboy's posts here. Jobs are, naturally jobs (what else?) but the conditions of employment with regard to origins of crew are less than equal. It's possible PradaCowboy would be unwilling to work under the terms endured by many of his less advantaged cohorts.

The notion that occasional gratuities for exceptionally fine service will ruin the experience for others leaves me ... nauseaus.

I appreciate the antipodean approach differs and i respect that.

You are right I am just stupid and know nothing about ship live!

You are right I am just stupid and know nothing about ship live!

Would it not be a better idea to make mention of how you personally understood Regent policy during the years that you worked for them? Ideally, a Regent employee could post answers to some often asked questions in an official capacity since they monitor this board so carefully but they choose not to do so.. You could provide a very valuable service around here without making people feel sad. You actually sound like a great deal of fun. I think it's possible that you misinterpreted the comment that OktoberKat made. It's nice to have experienced input. Let's lighten up.