Tipping

RLK33853

We also find tipping works to get into Prime 7 or Signatures. Just a suggestion for those of you who do not get preferential treatment of multiple invitations to dine with GM, Captain and/or F & B manager in your suite or in a specialty restaurant.

We also find tipping works to get into Prime 7 or Signatures. Just a suggestion for those of you who do not get preferential treatment of multiple invitations to dine with GM, Captain and/or F & B manager in your suite or in a specialty restaurant.

Hello uncle, this cracks me up. Because we were in a master suite on Navigator last January, we were invited to dine with the Captain and another luminary on a different night. We declined both invitations preferring our own singular company. Of course on a Navigator the only "specialty" restaurant is Prime 7 which we found to be poor and pretentious.

Back to tips, it seems a common thread here that tipping "ruins" it for others. Takes my breath away.

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion and to do as they wish. We feel however that as gratuities are "included", it makes more sense to contribute to the crew welfare fund which will extend benefits to the several hundred staff "behind the scenes" who all contribute to making our cruise experience what it is. Sure: the butlers/servers/stewardesses are the "faces" of the crew but without the team effort extended by the laundry staff/kitchen staff/cleaning staff/maintenance staff etc in support of highly visible staff, it just wouldn't come together.

To outright bribe staff for "special privileges" and put them in an awkward position reminds me of Vegas in the old days but at least that was the culture there and then and everyone knew the rules. It's unfortunate but in this "me" society, there will always be people needing to be at the head of the line by whatever means it takes.

Robroy, I wholeheartedly agree with what you stated above

Does anyone who needs to tip in order to get preferential treatment stop to think what impact that may have on others? To me it is a "me first" concept that I find distasteful. As a dreamer kind of person I would love to see the tip declined with the statement "that isn't necessary on Regent". Disclaimer.... I did say I was a dreamer.

The problem arises when Mr. Mrs. X are sadly told that there is no room in the venue and are followed by Mr. Mrs. Y right behind them who get seated. There either IS room available or there is not. There appears to be more going on within the culture of Regent than I would have thought. This is either happening or it is not. This described scenario is actually not the fault of the guest. I highly doubt that when inquiring to seating availability, telling the Maitre'd that you donated to the crew fund is going to get any results. The food isn't that good anyway. Maybe you have to know somebody.

The problem arises when Mr. Mrs. X are sadly told that there is no room in the venue and are followed by Mr. Mrs. Y right behind them who get seated. There either IS room available or there is not. There appears to be more going on within the culture of Regent than I would have thought. This is either happening or it is not. This described scenario is actually not the fault of the guest. I highly doubt that when inquiring to seating availability, telling the Maitre'd that you donated to the crew fund is going to get any results. The food isn't that good anyway. Maybe you have to know somebody.

I agree. In 15 years and 35 voyages I have never seen it done, or ever heard of it being done.

And back to the main topic. Like I posted above, I and many other have done it for years. So, if the premise is that tipping a waiter or steward at the end of a voyage creates an expectation, how is it that none of you have seen it; any crew with a hand out for a tip when you debarked?

j

Edited by JMARINER

I have always tipped extra. None of the crew expects a tip. I have never had a sense that my tipping created any expectation. Sometime, I will give to the crew fund in addition. They used to have auctions that went solely to the crew fund, like diner with the Captain in his cabin, etc.

Almost all cruise lines, including Oceania, tipping policies are effectively the same as Regent except other lines hide the tip as being automatically added to the on board bill (prepaid gratuities). As far as I know the "tips" that are charged have no direct benefit to any individual crew member and is just part of their regular wage.

Speaking of the wages, while Regent may pay higher than one would earn in their home country such as Bali or the Philippines, the earnings are far below any western country. That waiter that serves you in the evening in Compass Rose has been up since 5 am and may not finish his day until 11 pm. He may get an hour or two off in the afternoon, if he is not stuck working a late lunch because a tour got back late. And he does this 7 days a week, every day for 8 or 9 months, without a day off. He might go weeks without even a few hours ashore. He has to spend his off hours in a shared cabin, eat his meals in the crew mess and pay for his internet. He gets to spend any free time in the crew bar, which is tiny, with 200-300 other crew members.

I have certain likes and expectations, so I always sit with a same waiter for the full voyage. If this waiter who serves me every day, always greets me with a smile and a hello, goes out of his way to accommodate me every night, no matter how crappy his day has been; he deserves something extra. He has earned it and I am happy to show my appreciation with a tip.

It is a personal choice. Those of you who don't want to tip and feel it is unwarranted, fine. But I don't feel anything but happy when I do. It reminds me of how fortunate life has treated me.

And if Regent wants to create some sort of "tipping not allowed" policy. I guess they will just have to kick me off the ship when I do!

j

Very well said, especially the part about it reminding you how well life has treated you.

I agree. In 15 years and 35 voyages I have never seen it done, or ever heard of it being done.

And back to the main topic. Like I posted above, I and many other have done it for years. So, if the premise is that tipping a waiter or steward at the end of a voyage creates an expectation, how is it that none of you have seen it; any crew with a hand out for a tip when you debarked?

j

If you do a little searching on previous threads (a year or two ago), this topic was discussed and there were people that have seen it. We have only seen it done by butlers. No one puts their hand out -- it is more subtle and just as annoying. There is no reason that I (or anyone else) would post it if it were not true. It did not happen on our last cruise.

Agree that paying $100 upfront or paying to get into a specialty restaurant is, to put it mildly, "upsetting". Actually, I find it tacky. I wonder if the people feel that their money is their "power". Agree that it is like the old "Las Vegas" tactics. Eager2Travel: I think that someone mentioned earlier in the thread that they have had tips declined. So we can keep dreaming that this will be the future of Regent rather than some passengers that seem to feel that they know better than Regent does and will do whatever they want to do - no matter how it affects others (not only passengers but the many people that work just as hard as the people that get tipped, earn less money and are not seen).

Okay, so as many know, we do get invites to hosted tables. There is a method (sort of) to how these invites are determined. Usually, for the Captain's Reception, people with high suites are randomly selected for hosted officer tables (the random part is which officer you are chosen to dine with). You could dine with the Head Engineer, Concierge, Cruise Consultant, Cruise Director, Asst. Captain, General Manager, Captain or ??? Then they randomly select members of the Seven Seas Society that are Titanium, Platinum, etc. Officers also include guests that they have cruised with previously and have gotten to know. I cannot imagine anyone paying (or even wanting to pay) to dine with an officer.

If you do a little searching on previous threads (a year or two ago), this topic was discussed and there were people that have seen it. We have only seen it done by butlers. No one puts their hand out -- it is more subtle and just as annoying.

So exactly what have you personally seen done that is "more subtle and just as annoying."

There is no reason that I (or anyone else) would post it if it were not true. It did not happen on our last cruise.

I never said it was not true, I just expressed my personal observations and discussions from friends and other passengers over my 15 years and 35 voyages; I have never seen or heard of it being done, subtle or otherwise.

.......................... Eager2Travel: I think that someone mentioned earlier in the thread that they have had tips declined.....So we can keep dreaming that this will be the future of Regent rather than some passengers that seem to feel that they know better than Regent does and will do whatever they want to do - no matter how it affects others..... (not only passengers but the many people that work just as hard as the people that get tipped, earn less money and are not seen).

Who never saw a tip declined? Since it was not you, let them speak up. I would like the details please.

Who are you speaking for when you write "We can keep dreaming?

By "some passenger" I assume you are referring to me?

My tipping has personally affected you how?

J

Someone earlier on this thread said that they had their tip declined.

You have 35 cruises and this has not happened -- we have 20 and it has happened twice ..... yet, it only takes 1 cruise to have this happen.

When you have a butler stand in front of you (at the end of the cruise) with nothing to say - just waiting........ for what? Obviously a tip. In one case, this was the same butler that told us exactly what butlers on Oceania make (including tips) and how much butlers on Regent make (less than Oceania). We would have to be blind to not know what he was waiting for.

I was speaking for "Eager2Travel" and myself regarding the fact that we can "keep dreaming"............................ she actually made the comment - not me.

How has your tipping affected me? Well, the more people that tip the more risk there is that it will become expected. Instead of only occasionally encountering a crew member that might wait for a tip, it could become a more frequent event. Secondly, when someone asks about tipping and is told that you have tipped for years, it could encourage them to tip as well (again, adding to the expectation of crew members.)

To be clear - we have tipped butlers (and stewardesses/stewards) for exceptional service (above and beyond the normal scope of their duties). This does not happen on most of our cruises and did not happen on our last one. Regent crew members do quite well in terms of salary -- better than many people in the U.S. As you know, we are friends with many crew members. The stories of what they have been able to do for their families by working on Regent ships is heartwarming. As I mentioned earlier, it was Regent's decision to say that tips are included and are not expected. It is passengers that choose to ignore this. And, IMO, this affects other passengers (as well as lower paid crew members that are not the recipient of these tips).

Edited by Travelcat2

I confess the meme "your tipping affects me" on Regent strikes me as extraordinarily self centered. If I choose to tip in addition to the "included gratuity" it is no business of yours and I don't care in the least if you think it compromises the quality of your cruise ... Because I'm sure it doesn't; are we not assured of this by Regent and who could doubt Regent?! Ahem.

Ordinarily I wouldn't care one way or the other as to the perception of "extra" tipping but I am struck by folk here who repeatedly mention the friends they've made amongst staff, how these familiar staffers are so delightful and "like family" and gifts are dispensed to same.

I do appreciate the crew fund and can't see a contradiction in contributing to it as well as tipping whosoever has gone out of their way to make a memorable voyage if they have.

I don't advocate tipping on Regent above the inclusion. If I choose to do so, that's no skin off your nose and, should you think otherwise, then, my goodness, you've got issues.

Edited by OctoberKat

I don't care how fabulous and hardworking these guys are. I feel the same way about myself and lots of others. I would assume that anyone paying Regent prices also does or did work very hard.As someone familiar with the restaurant business, I can assure you that it can be mind boggingly annoying to be trying to do your job....and it is a subservient job and certainly honorable......and having someone monopolize your time causing other guests to get less service, while someone goes on and on and on as though we're the best of friends. We tip our cabin crew as we walk out of the room and often our favorite wait team as we walk out of the dining room on the last night. I can see how people would be furious if they had to slide some cash to get into a specialty restaurant, but that's a different scenario. Absolutely nobody is required to tip extra and should not feel that they are. We appreciate a professional job well done but most definitely not from a position that appears patronizing. I have often felt that many of the staff have the patience of saints and wonder what people they yack about when they are off duty.

ordinarily preach to me not to tip...but then then accept favors from staff and sometimes above staff and go on the board and brag about their special extras. We do what we want to do when we want to do it. Everyone who does not and according to their custom does not should stay out of my face. The others who do special things and then preach to people not to do this...that is being two faced. We can all throw rocks here. Come on...stay out of my life and what I do.

ordinarily preach to me not to tip...but then then accept favors from staff and sometimes above staff and go on the board and brag about their special extras. We do what we want to do when we want to do it. Everyone who does not and according to their custom does not should stay out of my face. The others who do special things and then preach to people not to do this...that is being two faced. We can all throw rocks here. Come on...stay out of my life and what I do.

Caroldoll, I thought your post was right on point and totally agree with you. What people do or do not do is their business and I will decide what to do in regards to tipping.

Caroldoll, I thought your post was right on point and totally agree with you. What people do or do not do is their business and I will decide what to do in regards to tipping.

I agree that what people do is their own business, but that is not where I am coming from on this thread. There have always been people that tip -- it is when someone goes on Cruise Critic and spouts off about it that I have an issue. All luxury lines have the same policy regarding tipping. This is the model they decided to go with for luxury cruising. When someone asks a question regarding cruising on Regent, I explain the policies to them rather than telling the poster what I do (or do not do) .

As you know, similar discussions have been on all of the luxury boards and it is almost always a difficult thread to get through without people trying to kill each other. I have gone into more detail than I normally do on this subject because I was asked specific questions (my mistake for giving an honest opinion).

So, the bottom line for me is:

1. What someone does is their own business,.

2. If someone tries to influence others to do what they are doing, and what they suggest is not Regent's recommended way of doing things, it could become everyone's problem.

Isn't saying that "it is my own business" mean that you do not need to discuss it with the world? It would be nice if people kept their business to themselves when it differs from Regent's policy/recommendation.

No need to agree or disagree with me -- just think about it.

Is Regent not able to speak for itself? :confused:

Don't you think that their silence "speak volumes?"

Come on, this is a non-issue for Regent Corporate. The would never demand a customer to be parsimonious. IMO it would make them (Corporate) look cheap and miserly.

j

It seems to me that this thread repeats it's self on every luxury line and on premiums about PPGs. We do what we like. Passengers on Regent can afford the experience and know how to enjoy themselves. At least it seemed that way to us on our our Navigator cruise. No one ever mentioned tipping to us. It never came up on Seabourn either. We sail Navigator again in November. Maybe tipping will come up.

Mary

and people do what they want anyway. Excursion protocols come to mind or people needing to be "gently reminded" because they decided to ignore the dress after 6p.m. The comment sounds dismissive don't you think? Sometimes I think it would be nice if they would add a comment or 2 on these boards since they supposedly monitor them so religiously.

.......... Sometimes I think it would be nice if they would add a comment or 2 on these boards since they supposedly monitor them so religiously.

Fizzy, Well said. That was my point in #71. They do comment when they want to and it appears that they don't want to on this subject. So I will continue on.

J