Does the $12.95/day auto-tip ALL goto staff?

fstuff1

or does NCL keep a portion of it as revenue? :mad:

if NCL keeps a piece of it as profit, then I'm taking all of the DSC off and tipping people individually!

Edited by fstuff1

Yeah it goes to staff

It's goes to Frank

It goes to Franks son

it goes to Franks sister

It goes to a couple of Franks Aunts

It goes to a few of Franks friends

IT goes to Franks dogs vets

It goes to ...

LOL...Who pays tax on the DSC? I pay taxes on any money I make living in the US. Does NCL pay tax on that money? Do the workers from outside of the US pay taxes on that DSC?

I said most probably...of you add up and believe all these new charges go to the crew then the crew especially bartenders and restaurant staff would be rich by now thats my assumption thats why i used the word PROBABLY

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most probably it doesnt go to the staff i will do the same as well... Stop the dsc and tip in cash guys only in cash

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well bring alots of cash for tipping, especially at the buffet - gotta tip those behind the counter, too. Don't forget the laundry room too, if you need your bathroom towels exchanged often.

Edited by maywell

I am amazed at how many scummy people this has brought out. Punish the workers for what the corporation does.

A way of protest if you want is not to cruise NCL, a way of being an A*^ is to not pay the DSC. Again as has been said before even if you remove and tip cash (don't believe you will anyway) you will still miss the behind the scenes people who participate in the DSC.

Having worked for NCL I can attest that 100 percent goes to the staff, not all as gratuities, some goes to things like staff parties, promotions for the staff, etc.

I am amazed at how many scummy people this has brought out. Punish the workers for what the corporation does.

A way of protest if you want is not to cruise NCL, a way of being an A*^ is to not pay the DSC. Again as has been said before even if you remove and tip cash (don't believe you will anyway) you will still miss the behind the scenes people who participate in the DSC.

Having worked for NCL I can attest that 100 percent goes to the staff, not all as gratuities, some goes to things like staff parties, promotions for the staff, etc.

Great post!

Agree!

I may have been taken aback by some recent new charges, but I have never believed in adjusting or removing the DSC in some sort of "retaliation". That's only hurting the people who have no say in the policies.

Agree!

I may have been taken aback by some recent new charges, but I have never believed in adjusting or removing the DSC in some sort of "retaliation". That's only hurting the people who have no say in the policies.

Sadly, that's speculation.

I said most probably...of you add up and believe all these new charges go to the crew then the crew especially bartenders and restaurant staff would be rich by now thats my assumption thats why i used the word PROBABLYSent from my iPhone using Forums

Keep in mind we don't know what the base pay is for a bartender or waiter on a ship. I would assume it's pretty low by our standards. And even with the higher wages in the US, I don't know any bartenders and waiters who are getting rich here. I imagine they probably do well or OK based on the standards in their country. Rich, no.

Pieshops, can you offer any clarity on how the DSC gets paid out to staff? I always assumed it went into a pool of money and periodically a portion of it is allocated to a staff person based on their performance and then paid out over several weeks. Or is it paid in the form of bonuses, or both? I think some assume it is divided more or less immediately and equally between everyone included.

Does the way the DSC is handled differ at all from the way the 18% auto grats are dispersed? Do those auto grats go into a pool as well or do they go straight to the person who provided your service?

Lastly, do you see any conflict with the fact that a waiter can work both the MDR and a venue where the 18% is applied and receive compensation from both? Is this double dipping in your opinion?

If you don't feel comfortable answering all or any of the above, no problem.

Edited by punkincc

Sadly, that's speculation.

Even if NCL kept a portion for whatever reason, by guests removing their portion, it would still affect crew members.

Pieshops is a former employee and stated it goes 100% to employees in one form or another. Other former employees have made similar statements. Even if there was a percentage being withheld that those employees were unaware of, it is clear the DSC goes to the crew and therefore they would be hurt by it being significantly reduced.

Pieshops, can you offer any clarity on how the DSC gets paid out to staff? I always assumed it went into a pool of money and periodically a portion of it is allocated to a staff person based on their performance and then paid out over several weeks. Or is it paid in the form of bonuses, or both? I think some assume it is divided more or less immediately and equally between everyone included.

Does the way the DSC is handled differ at all from the way the 18% auto grats are dispersed? Do those auto grats go into a pool as well or do they go straight to the person who provided your service?

Lastly, do you see any conflict with the fact that a waiter can work both the MDR and a venue where the 18% is applied and receive compensation from both? Is this double dipping in your opinion?

If you don't feel comfortable answering all or any of the above, no problem.

Surely.

I am not certain on the percentages because it has been a few years but the majority is distributed to the waitstaff and stewards and a smaller percentage to the back of house staff.

The money is paid out into their check every pay period, so the amount does vary based on occupancy as well as the idiots that remove the DSC and tip nothing.

Some is kept back for the bonus and other employee welfare (not the kind we have in the US) things such as parties etc.

I can't speak to the 18% as I am not working there currently.

Those who work in the specialty dining are there because they have graduated from the buffet and the main dining room and been "promoted" there. It is a good position with less running around like the buffet and the MDR. While most still do double duty such as MDR for breakfast and a specialty for dinner, it is still better then all MDR. Again can't speak to the 18% for same reason as above

Even if NCL kept a portion for whatever reason, by guests removing their portion, it would still affect crew members.

Pieshops is a former employee and stated it goes 100% to employees in one form or another. Other former employees have made similar statements. Even if there was a percentage being withheld that those employees were unaware of, it is clear the DSC goes to the crew and therefore they would be hurt by it being significantly reduced.

...and at least once a week someone posts here "I asked my steward if he shares in the DSC, and he sadly shook his head and told me he does not". That contradicts the claim that the crew gets the DSC.

You write in part: "Even if there was a percentage being withheld that those employees were unaware of, it is clear the DSC goes to the crew..." which is contradictory in and of itself.

I don't think we can ever know what percentage of DSC ends up with crew and what percentage ends up in corporate pockets. We can only speculate.

I think this salary thing that people need to know what they make is so silly.

Do you ask what people make when you shop in Home Depot or go out for Dinner at the local italian restaurant or when you get in an airplane to fly to your cruise?

Who cares, if the workers were not happy with what they are making and thought they could do better elsewhere they would go.

The money that these guys make allows them to send their kids back home to good schools and get an education and live much better then the majority.

...and at least once a week someone posts here "I asked my steward if he shares in the DSC, and he sadly shook his head and told me he does not". That contradicts the claim that the crew gets the DSC.

And those that do that if ever reported will lose their jobs, they number 1 are not supposed to talk salary with the guests and number 2 the workers that do this are preying on the sympathy of the guests to leave them a large cash tip in addition to the DSC that they DO get. Again not speaking out my ass but from experience

You write in part: "Even if there was a

percentage being withheld that those employees were unaware of, it is clear the DSC goes to the crew..." which is contradictory in and of itself.

I don't think we can ever know what percentage of DSC ends up with crew and what percentage ends up in corporate pockets. We can only speculate.

What I said is not contradictory. Most likely, when you get paid, you pay a percentage to taxes, but you still bring home money. If your wages were reduced you would still get paid, but not as much.

The DSC goes to staff. NCL may or may not keep a percentage, but the DSC still goes to the staff, handed out in numerous ways, depending upon their positions and performance. If passengers reduce the DSC, there is less to go around. If there is less to go around, the employees receive less. Therefore, it goes to staff, and affects them, whether or not NCL keeps a portion.

Edited by AEckhardt

if NCL keeps a piece of it as profit, then I'm taking all of the DSC off and tipping people individually!

Since they will never tell, and it is discretionary, I will remove it and pay cash tips to those who provide services directly. What they do with it in none of my business.

I think this salary thing that people need to know what they make is so silly.

Do you ask what people make when you shop in Home Depot or go out for Dinner at the local italian restaurant or when you get in an airplane to fly to your cruise?

Who cares, if the workers were not happy with what they are making and thought they could do better elsewhere they would go.

The money that these guys make allows them to send their kids back home to good schools and get an education and live much better then the majority.

Let me preface this by saying that I have no problem with paying the DSC....but...

You cannot compare this with Home Depot, local restaurants and airlines. When I frequent those places there is not a fee to me when I walk in the door, that I am told I must pay with a vague explanation of what it is for. People are going to ask questions. Especially when they are told they must pay 18% more or a service fee for this and that.

If people are told that the DSC is a replacement for tipping for service and they get poor service why are they 'scummy' for adjusting this amount? If I go to a local restaurant and the service is horrible and the waitress was rude, gives me the wrong food, never gives me a beverage and it takes 3 hrs to get through a simple meal should I still be expected to tip her well just because she has a family at home?

In the vast majority of cases the the DSC is more than deserved, but when it is not there must be some recourse to the customer and when that customer does something about it they do not deserve to be called out for doing so.

Rochelle

If people are told that the DSC is a replacement for tipping for service and they get poor service why are they 'scummy' for adjusting this amount? If I go to a local restaurant and the service is horrible and the waitress was rude, gives me the wrong food, never gives me a beverage and it takes 3 hrs to get through a simple meal should I still be expected to tip her well just because she has a family at home?

Rochelle

So the answer to part one is if you have poor service by one or two people on a 7 day cruise I would imagine that there were 100's of other people who have been awesome and have gone out of the way for you. So by removing the DSC you are hurting those people. If there is an issue go to an officer and try and have it resolved, if it is not resolved a letter when home is appropriate. Anybody that says for 7 days everyone was crappy to them and therefore removing the DSC is just not being truthful.

The second part is yes you should not tip that person, by not tipping that person they only one who is hurt (unless the restaurant pools their tips, but that is not very common unless its a buffet type restaurant). So not really a fair comparison either.

You cannot compare this with Home Depot, local restaurants and airlines. When I frequent those places there is not a fee to me when I walk in the door, that I am told I must pay with a vague explanation of what it is for. People are going to ask questions. Especially when they are told they must pay 18% more or a service fee for this and that.

Rochelle

I was talking about people worrying about what other make and how it is distributed to them in the above, not about tipping or being charged a fee to go there.

Are you going to hand cash to the lady who is scrubbing the public restroom or the fellow vacuuming the corridors? They are many of the crew members who get a share of the DSC, not only cabin stewards and waiters.

The compny is not supposed to profit from the DSC, only the employees.