Boring poolside atmosphere

Scotto97

Whoa Doggie...reading is an anti-social activity!?!? Isolating?!?!? It's evident you haven't been reading much or you would know that anti-social activity/behavior is serious [you know what]. Daily cannibalism is anti-social. Being the founding member of a serial killers' support group is anti-social behavior. Reading [face palm at your ignorance] IS NOT!!!!!

I would so be locked away for posting something this. Glad to see someone besides myself not only has a sense of humor, but is tired of the stupid human tricks at the pool events.

It probably boils down to the old introvert vs extrovert discussion. I would place good money on the idea that people who read in highly public and social areas such as the Neptune Pool are by the vast majority introverted. Preferring to isolate themselves in a good book rather than interacting with others or taking in the social scene.

Whereas I'm an extrovert who enjoys an upbeat, social atmosphere with energetic music, good drinks, and the ability to easily meet others.

There's certainly nothing wrong with reading, and I do it often. But I typically wait until my wife's gone to bed to engage in such a solitary activity

I agree with many that have said with 3-4 pools aboard there should be room to please both types

That being said, the Neptune Pool should be the natural place for music and activities throughout a warm sea day, while the back pool or sanctuary is ideal for quiet reading and relaxing

Get ready to be separated from your dough! I am as extroverted as they come. Love parties, great at mingling, have lots of friends, etc. However, I also love my books and my writing. Those activities balance me and are incredibly relaxing. People can do both, ya know. It's not one or the other.

Book club! What a great idea. Quiet place to read without having to pay for it every day. You know, if Princess is boring you, there are other places to go. My last Carnival cruise, there was so much "social atmosphere" around the pool, I couldn't hear myself think. You go have a nice time with the kids on Carnival, and I'll stay on Princess with my boring old crones and geezers who like to read. :)

I will stumble along and join you all with the help of my cane.Will lie on my lounger and if anyone disturbs the peace I will give them a tap with my cane to remind them that this is old codgers territory beware of any noise that interrupts our tranquility........;)

It probably boils down to the old introvert vs extrovert discussion
I disagree as I think it boils down to: some people prefer to be entertained, and some can entertain themselves. Plus, everyone cruises for different reasons. Even then, they may not take each cruise for the same reason.

Some cruises, I book to go to new ports or for adventure. Others, I take to get away. Some cruises I love socializing; others, you probably won't see me because I'll be curled up in a quiet corner with my Kindle.

I've taken a lot of Mexican Riviera cruises and don't feel I have to have mariachi bands to feel like I'm in Mexico. I can go to my local Subway for that. :) Plus, it's hard to get excited about PV and Mazatlan.

You have a good point. Our Cruise Director was Bob Leininger, probably the most famous of all active CD's - even authoring his own book in the gift shop detailing his career and experiences.
So "famous" I've never heard of him. Not that I'm the arbiter of fame but he hasn't been a Princess CD for long. IMHO, Richard Joseph is far better-known or even John Lawrence who is now retired. Edited by Pam in CA

So "famous" I've never heard of him. Not that I'm the arbiter of fame but he hasn't been a Princess CD for long. IMHO, Richard Joseph is far better-known or even John Lawrence who is now retired.

LOL Pam! As I've said, people who have never read a whole book think that anyone who writes one must be famous. ;) Now Carnival has a "famous" CD, John Heald, and there are precious few anti-social readers out there on the party decks. Some people just belong over there with their own kind.

.................. ;) Now Carnival has a "famous" CD, John Heald, and there are precious few anti-social readers out there on the party decks................

He was the CD on our first Carnival cruise in 2000. Amazing guy, energetic, quick witted and hilariously funny.

There's always someone complaining about music: too much piano, not enough piano, too loud, not loud enough. Music, like food, is subjective. This fact escapes some people. (I know this because I read it in a book while I was being anti-social. ;)) Another thing I've noticed is that people will complain about "music from the 40s" when what they mean is anything they don't recognize from their own youth. I once heard someone complaining about all this "40s music" during a string quartet performance in the piazza. (Hey! How about some string quartet around the pool? :p)

Never enough cow bell. :p

I don't get the anti-reading crowd. While deciding on what to pack' date=' a major decision for me is which two or three paperback books to bring (yes, seriously) [/quote']

Nor do I. I bring my Kindle which usually has around 300 books loaded on it, and a spare Kindle (also loaded) just in case. :D

Even though I disagree with the OP on almost everything he's said (the exception is that I, too, like live music at the pool) I have to say he's been a pretty good sport about all the return fire.

There have been some pretty cutting remarks directed his way, and he's remained thick-skinned. Congrats, Scott.

P.S.: I think the most anti-social thing at the pool is daytime MUTS. Why not save that for after dark?

Jim

With the # of cruises listed in the OP's signature, I'd say he has a fair grasp of what Princess had been offering and what he rec'd on his last cruise.

Nothing says "fun" like a place so somber that a chess game is considered the highlight of its excitement. :eek:

:D

I think it varies from ship to ship and cruise to cruise with the CD being a big factor. Both my cruises last year had music by the pool almost all of the time (I spend a lot of time on the Lido deck) whether it was a live band or "piped in" music and it was a wide variety as well. Oh and they most definitely played Jimmy Buffet :D They also had pool games, dance contests, ice carving demos, etc.

I also take offense to the assumption that because I prefer a calmer, quieter atmosphere and LOVE to read that it means that I am old and anti-social. Huh??!! I'm under 50 and very sociable ..... when I want to be! ;)

On most of the Carnival cruises that I have taken, the Lido deck was an absolute zoo and very, very loud to the point that you couldn't even have a conversation with the person next to you. Give me a Princess cruise any day :)

I remember Princess had a Latin American band by the pool I thought good....those days are gone unfortunately .....

We experienced a good Latin band on the Royal last year. They could play most anything. The Royal also had a Hot Latin Nights Dance party on deck.

All replies have been really in favor of a quiet and boring pool atmosphere with little or no entertainment.

I can definitely tell you that's not how it used to be on the Princess Caribbean cruises we had taken in the past.

They had steel drum bands, fun pool games where the winners received gold medallions, and smart DJ's that played good 70's and 80's music to keep people drinking and in a upbeat and social mood.

We hope all Princess cruises have not turned into a poolside book reading club. As we love the upscale feel and service, but don't want to be bored out of our minds either.

There's needs to be some compromise for those who want a little more activity and social atmosphere around the Neptune Pool, otherwise Princess will lose younger (35 -50) upscale cruisers to other, more proactive lines.

Besides, this will drive more revenue two ways - the selling of more drinks and additional Sanctuary revenue for those looking to read books in a quiet place

I'm with you. I love the Sanctuary and the quiet I have when there. But I also love when there are things going on. I know they used to do some games by the pool and they used to be so much fun to watch. I miss that they no longer have these.

It's funny the 3 day cruise we were on in November which had all the VIPS had a lot going on and it was so much fun. The 7 day got much quieter. There were 4 of us on our sailing and 3 are in our 50's and 1 in his 60's and we all preferred the 3 day cruise and the vibe we had on that.

I have only been on two Princess ships, but I loved that there were four different pools. I prefer muts at night rather than day, but when I opted to stay onboard at St. Thomas, I enjoyed watching Overboard at the pool. The aft pool is great for reading or watching the wake. Dont think I have ever spent time at the Lotus Spa pool. My first cruise there was a steel band at one of the pools, I loved that. Nice there is something for everyone.

Then perhaps Princess clientele is skewing older than it used to on their warm weather itineraries and we're now too young for them.

Geez - what's wrong with a little upbeat music and fun by the pool?

I do not think it is an age thing. Spas are filled with very young ( in years) people who enjoy calm, serenity and peaceful atmosphere. I do hope that Princess will stay Princess and therefore, different companies offer different styles of cruising so we can choose depending on what we are looking for on our different cruises. I would say " what's wrong with a calm relaxing day at he pool ? ". I hope you find an entertainement program thet is more to your taste on your next cruise, I understand that is is, for me anyway, part of making a cruise a good one.

My main compliant is probably based on expectations regarding the warm weather itinerary.

On a wonderful British Isles cruise last year the crowd was older, well-dressed and sophisticated. A string quartet played in the Piazza every night and was excellent. The Crooners singer was an expert on early Broadway composers and history. – a perfect atmosphere for this itinerary – couldn’t have been better. And yes, there were many people reading onboard.

During our Alaskan cruise, the onboard Naturalist along with the wildlife seminars held in the Princess theater were spot-on – I did a lot of reading prior to both these trips in preparation and to get the most out of the cruise.

However, on a Mexican Riviera or Caribbean cruise we did anticipate a different experience. The pool area comes into play a lot more, so my wife and I expected slightly louder, upbeat music, fun but classy pool games, and an overall higher energy level at the Neptune Pool - like it was back a few years ago on our Princess Caribbean cruises leaving mostly out of San Juan.

It probably boils down to the old introvert vs extrovert discussion. I would place good money on the idea that people who read in highly public and social areas such as the Neptune Pool are by the vast majority introverted. Preferring to isolate themselves in a good book rather than interacting with others or taking in the social scene.

Pretty funny. I'm what's known as "gregarious". I talk to people I don't know. I talk to grocery clerks and other people standing in line. I talk to other people looking through the plumbing supplies when I'm at the hardware store. I absolutely love to read. Two of the most fun things I know of are reading and singing. I'm hardly an introvert.

I like to sit on the deck just above the covered pool or, if there is no covered pool, on the deck above the pool deck, and read. I don't use the pools but they do provide people watching in between reading. I find it very relaxing to read as the sea goes past.

If they had mariachis on the pool deck while I was trying to read I might throw them overboard. I heard Guantanamera (or as I refer to it "One Ton O'Mara - you know, that large Irish guy?) about a bazillion times on our last Mexican Riviera cruise. It seemed like every time I went through the piazza area the mariachi guys were singing that same song. On the plus side though, there were mariachi players in the plaza in Loreto and they were really good.

Nothing says "fun" like a place so somber that a chess game is considered the highlight of its excitement. :eek: :D

Not chess but I've seen an awful lot of Mahjong games going on in HC. ;)

I have to agree with jasbo49 in that the OP has remained calm throughout this thread. Well done.

My main compliant is probably based on expectations regarding the warm weather itinerary.

If this is your main complaint, I fail to understand why it is necessary to equate "older people" with "boring" and "reading a book" with "anti-social." I often fail to understand why people on these boards insult others and seem to have no idea they are doing so.

If this is your main complaint, I fail to understand why it is necessary to equate "older people" with "boring" and "reading a book" with "anti-social." I often fail to understand why people on these boards insult others and seem to have no idea they are doing so.

My intentions were never to be insulting towards the more experienced cruisers. If fact I've learned more from their wonderful stories and life perspective than my younger contemporaries.

My wife and I just expected the crowd to be different on such a warm weather itinerary. More Close to our age (38 & 48 )and appreciating a little more partying poolside. I'm not talking about a drunkfest, but perhaps a dance contest and a lot of reasonably current music (Hopefully no rap)

We were shocked to look around the pool area and see perhaps 10 people with a drink in hand out of the couple hundred in lounge chairs. I can certainly say the ship didn't hit its liquor sales quota on our trip. Even the BOGO hour was fairly dead, no problem walking right up to the bar and being served.

As you can see from my signature, we know the Princess demographic and love the passengers they attract, but felt a warm itinerary wouldn't have the same passenger makeup as an Alaskan or British Isles trip, expecting a more sun loving and party ready crowd that's more sophisticated than on Carnival