On Demand TV

nukesubsailor

Just watch a Tarantino movie... :p It's the same thing. :):D
How true. Took a film appreciation class one time and we skipped around the video of Pulp Fiction to watch it in chronological order. What a different movie! Edited by IECalCruiser

I for one would not pay top dollar for he movies. Maybe low dollar.

I wouldn't pay a penny :p

I'm with you Brian & we rarely go out to the movies so there are many new movies for us to watch. ;)

On RCI they charged about $12 for on-demand movies with the oldest movie being released 25 years ago & nothing more recent than the free ones on Princess. :eek:

The On Demand system was installed on the Sapphire while she was sailing. A drydock is not required for this type of work. They even added the Sanctuary and the Sports Court on the roof of Skywalker's to the Sapphire while she was sailing. We happened to be on her both times as this work was being done.

The on-demand TV shows+movies on the Regal last September were free.

'On-demand' meant that we could begin or interrupt viewing at any time (like a movie recorded on a DVR or Netflix behaves), rather than wait to begin at a specified time that we had to look up in a booklet and, possibly, miss the beginning due to tuning in late.

On-Demand TV was one of our favorite features of the Royal and Regal (especially on longer cruises). Sometimes you just feel like watching a movie and it's an excellent option to see what you want to see, when you want to see it. MUTS movies usually showed up the next day. The only downside was that closed caption was not available for on-demand, although we were told 'we are working on getting it.'

Everyone is different. Some people spend a lot of time in their cabins, others just shower, change and sleep there. I spend very little time in my cabin and almost never turn on the TV yet my sister (in a separate cabin) spends a good part of the day there. She does what she wants to do, I do what I want to do.

With "on demand," it's nice to know that if you do start to watch a movie, you can leave and pick it up where you left off when you get back. I also like that you can watch port lecturers and other featured speakers on demand without having to choose one thing to go to and miss something else. How many times have there been two things scheduled at the same time that you want to go to? Happens to me all the time.

Yes I agree. I for one had been on several cruises with my mom and we never once even turned the tv's on. But now that I go with my husband ....oh my, that tv is always on. It will be nice , the feature Pam spoke of 'pausing a movie and coming back to it'

• 3 weeks later...

Just got off the sun and my hubbie and I loved the on demand system. A huge improvement on the old system of watching bits and pieces of movies. We've just booked 42 night cherry blossom on the dawn in 2017 and was disappointed to find no new tv system after the recent drydock. My hubbie has severe back probs and this is a must for us. Am considering cancelling the cruise if this is the case. Anyone have any feedback on the dawn in general as well. Have heard negative comments on her. Ta.

Just got off the sun and my hubbie and I loved the on demand system. A huge improvement on the old system of watching bits and pieces of movies. We've just booked 42 night cherry blossom on the dawn in 2017 and was disappointed to find no new tv system after the recent drydock. My hubbie has severe back probs and this is a must for us. Am considering cancelling the cruise if this is the case. Anyone have any feedback on the dawn in general as well. Have heard negative comments on her. Ta.

I don't know if the Dawn will get the on-demand system but before the Sapphire was deployed to Asia they installed the larger flat panel TVs & on-demand system during cruises without a drydock.

My wife has been known to watch a movie in the cabin but, other than that, I think the Wake Show is about the only thing we watch on the TV. Some cruises we don't even watch that as the CD will be too lame. I mostly just turn it on to see if there are any announcements or things of that nature.

I suppose if they get "on demand" TV we might use it more. If they get it to where I can check my folio on the TV that would be good. My wife watches movies and a few shows on Netflix at home but we turned off the cable TV service somewhere around 12 - 14 years ago. I really can't remember when it was as it's been so long.

My wife has been known to watch a movie in the cabin but, other than that, I think the Wake Show is about the only thing we watch on the TV. Some cruises we don't even watch that as the CD will be too lame. I mostly just turn it on to see if there are any announcements or things of that nature.

I suppose if they get "on demand" TV we might use it more. If they get it to where I can check my folio on the TV that would be good. My wife watches movies and a few shows on Netflix at home but we turned off the cable TV service somewhere around 12 - 14 years ago. I really can't remember when it was as it's been so long.

I experienced the on demand TV on the Royal and liked it for a number of reasons:

a) Combined with their recording events that were in Princess Live!, it meant we could miss something there and see it at our convenience in the cabin. And we could watch it as our time in the cabin allowed, stopping it at anytime and picking it up later.

b) If we did want to see a movie, it could start at our convenience, not on a schedule that was hard to find out about. Again, we could pause and resume as we wanted to. Much better than the old way. I remember one movie I had wanted to see a few years ago. Because of when the movie was scheduled vs when we were in the cabin, I ended up seeing over three viewing sessions the middle first, the end second, and the beginning third.

c) Much larger list of available movies (and at no charge like on some other cruise lines). And for those who do not have English as a first language, they had some movies in some foreign languages including Spanish, German, Russian and Italian.

We love the "on demand" tv programing on the Royal Princess. I would like to know if anyone sailing on ships other than the Royal and Regal have noticed if that ship has upgraded to this new TV programing.

That's one of the few things I did NOT like about the Royal and Regal. Fewer choices, none of the news channels I'm used to seeing, and a very complex system to (attempt to) use. And I miss the channel with the map and position of the ship.

That's one of the few things I did NOT like about the Royal and Regal. Fewer choices, none of the news channels I'm used to seeing, and a very complex system to (attempt to) use. And I miss the channel with the map and position of the ship.

On my Royal & Regal cruises they had a map with the ship's location, the same live news & sports channels, many more TV shows & movies, informative programs about ports and some onboard activities.

Sorry that you didn't have the same experience & had troubles navigating the programming which wasn't difficult for us.

Edited by Astro Flyer

They had the usual channels that Princess ships have when I was on the Royal. Not sure when you say "none of the news channels I'm used to seeing" if you mean at home or on other Princess ships.

I agree that it can be time consuming to get to the "channel" you want to get to. (No actual channel numbers. Just keep pressing arrows and OK until you get to what you want to see.)

I agree the convenience of the on demand tv is the greatest thing. We often enjoy the evening screening of a movie on nuts, but it often clashes with dinner and shows, so being able to watch it while getting ready for dinner or Kate into the night at our own time is fantastic. We don't live close to a cinema and don't have a video shop in our town, so having this on a ship makes the difference between a good and great cruise. I've sent a letter to princess for answers about the dawn getting on demand tv and they replied stating they are waiting for the ship to advise them. This seemed a strange answer by princess offices.