Purchasing Airfare for Harmony OTS Transatlantic Sailing

I am interested in booking the transatlantic sailing on the Harmony of the Seas, October 23, 2016...I will be sailing solo...and my question is this...I only have to purchase a one way ticket over to Barcelona Spain....I did some pricing...and the cost is off the roof...For what they want for a one way ticket, you could purchase a round trip ticket for far less... this is the first time i am taking a transatlantic cruise.... does anyone have any suggestions about this airfare, or shuld i just close my eyes...and purchase the one way ticket....

Also do you think that i should come into Barcelon Spain a couple of days before the actual cruise....to get to see a little of Barcelona, and to get accustomed to the time change... any suggestions would be appreciated..

I am interested in booking the transatlantic sailing on the Harmony of the Seas, October 23, 2016...I will be sailing solo...and my question is this...I only have to purchase a one way ticket over to Barcelona Spain....I did some pricing...and the cost is off the roof...For what they want for a one way ticket, you could purchase a round trip ticket for far less... this is the first time i am taking a transatlantic cruise.... does anyone have any suggestions about this airfare, or shuld i just close my eyes...and purchase the one way ticket....

Also do you think that i should come into Barcelon Spain a couple of days before the actual cruise....to get to see a little of Barcelona, and to get accustomed to the time change... any suggestions would be appreciated..

Look at air prices on Royal's Choice Air: http://www.choiceair.com. We have saved a bunch of money using that service on one-way transatlantic fares.

Edited by clarea

While booking the cruise as early as possible might be wise to secure the cabin you want, booking the airfare this early is most likely not in your best interest.

I would be looking at airfare first in November of 2015 for this route no matter what channel you use.

Many passengers that book flights very early get hit with aircraft or route changes later by the airline when they adapt their schedules.

From JFK you have one-way competition for connecting routes from Norwegian Air currently connecting through Oslo, Copenhagen or Stockholm. They are 'rumored' to be coming in the future with flights directly from JFK and FLL to BCN. As they are a low cost airline, they do not sell flights this early.

Even if you do not choose to fly with them, the competitive factor for other carriers is influenced by these low fares.

http://www.itasoftware.com 'airfare search' is a search engine used by comparison websites and can help to find best fares on routes and show calendar fares for comparison of the best day or carrier to choose for one-way routes.

We will be on the Harmony with you.

As others have said, book the cruise to get price/room that you want and wait till 330 days before to book air.

Choice air often have one way fares for under $500 one way.

Another option that we use, is to book a return and either dump the return (make sure the leg you want is the first one), or book another transatlantic going the other way and use the return flight for both - even if it is different airports.

This year we fly out to the US in April LHR-JFK with the return booked for December 12th

Pete

I am interested in booking the transatlantic sailing on the Harmony of the Seas, October 23, 2016...I did some pricing...and the cost is off the roof...For what they want for a one way ticket,

Where in the world are you seeing prices now for airfare in Oct 2016? Airlines won't release those tickets until 330 days out, or Nov 2015. :confused:

I can't finding any pricing for the air you need in October 2016. We are going to Barcelona to take the return transatlantic on the Allure this October. We booked through Choice air right after the first of the year. I didn't catch where you were leaving from, but here are the current air fares for our cruise: $538.62 p.p. for economy, $954.27 p.p. for economy plus, $1794.30 p.p. for business class, and $3836.40 p.p. for First Class. This is from Phoenix.

This will be our sixth transatlantic and the air has stayed pretty constant. You are going to hear some doom and gloom stories about what might happen if something goes wrong using Choice Air. This will be our sixth time with them, all of our friends use them, we have never ran into anybody who has had a problem, so you'll have to decide for yourself what you want to do.

We have found that, if you need a domestic flight before or after the transatlantic, it is cheaper to book directly through the air line.

I see most have answered the airfare question. I would also say Choice air is the best option.

I would also recommend you go to Barcelona a couple days earlier both to see this beautiful city and to get used to the time change.

We will be on this sailing as well as the 3 night sailing from Rome just before this one. See you there.