New Room Service Menu Coming April 12th - w/some pay items

Tom-n-Cheryl

It is not my prerogative to assuage every silly class envy concern someone on board a ship has. If you are so insecure that my food order will make you uncomfortable what are you going to do when I start talking about the awesome couples massage we had that afternoon, or the cabana we've reserved in Half Moon Cay.

If I come to dinner on Elegant night in a Ralph Lauren suit and you're wearing TJ Maxx, is that something I should worry about? If I buy an expensive watch on the ship and you're there browsing, should I hide my transaction so you don't get jealous?

The absurdity of this argument is that it's the ultimate slippery slope. I can afford something, I want to buy it, other people are made uncomfortable by this because they can't afford it. Kind of defeats the purpose of going on a cruise if we're all going to stand separate corners and judge each other and feel class envy. I may have saved up my money for quite some time (and by the way, I'm not rich: it usually takes me a year to save up for my vacation) and may want to just indulge for one week on silly things. I could get a massage much cheaper on land than on the ship, but having one on the cruise makes it a little more special. I am willing to pay upcharges to make things more than just an assembly line vacation experience.

You got it wrong. It doesn't bother me. It's just a discussion. Get you what want, whenever you you want it.

Converting the Carnival shared table MDR's into an elitist choice experience is a radical departure, and MAY make some people very uncomfortable.

Indulge until you drop. Up-charge yourself into oblivion. It's all good with me. There is zero envy from me. We book specialty restaurants regularly on cruises. The thought is that you can further indulge, when you want, in a specialty setting.

Sail on!

I am getting a chuckle out of this "plate envy" thing:)

I am visualizing a cartoon of a table of cruise passengers with their eyeballs bulging at the sight of what the person next to them or across has ordered. LOL.

I could care less what the person next to or across from orders and eats, or if they pay extra for it. I, for instance dont like escargot or lamb, but would never get upset or queasy if somebody at my table ordered it, nor would it bother me if they ordered a 20.00 meal from the steakhouse.

If I had such issues, I would just be certain to confirm YTD. and put some blinders on, since tables are close

BtB, I have no problem with the new room service menu, even though they took away my fave Chicken fajita sandwich. Still enough free, or price incl stuff on there to please me, and might or might not go for a pay for option, same as I sometimes get a piece of that delicious carrot cake from the coffee shop. sometimes I do, sometimes not, and depends on what I want and when, and if I feel like paying extra for it. Same as how many dod's I choose to drink per day.

It is about options, and options are good in my world. Just my opinion, and all are welcome to their own of course.

Still chuckling about the "plate envy". New expression for me.:D

I think it is funny too. Have you ever raise children? It can be complicated.

I never get food envy in the MDR although in an ideal world I would love to taste everything. If someone ordered Lobster I would think it looks great but would rather buy two drinks with my $20 but each to their own.

LOL..yes...so many good choices even on new menus...we will not starve.

I do not think being able to order the better items is that much of a deal...new people have the whole new to them menu and a couple of options...everyone orders seconds or another choice from main menu if wanted..and all or most all who cruise spend a few extra dollars on something...if it was a whole other menu then yeas but a couple of items when they still have cruise elegant and better beef and a lobster choice is not big deal to me..not separate ship class situations like some have. And I feel the way they do it, ship within ship suite areas with extras...fine on those ships too. There are a huge variety of things to do that all do at a far better price than land...ie entertainment on those ships...and lots of nice cabin sizes and there is always..."rank" in cabin choice..ANYWAY...we are all used to paying more for more whatever and all having good cruise deals. We have to stop splitting hairs after change shock....IMHO..save it for the big bad changes..LOL.

Sarah

Interesting. Order up! I think it should be separated from MDR. Take your passion for spending for higher quality to a higher quality dining setting.

Cruise lines could easily decide to cheapen the quality of the MDR food over time for the masses to the point where it drives passengers to select upcharge items on a regular basis. It's a potential strategy to get to the end game they would prefer.

When we want something special above and beyond the norm (or included) we seek to enjoy it in a special setting.

I don't look to eat aged beef and 3/4 pound lobster tails while sitting at McDonald's.

LOL yes that's what's he's saying. I think the majority of diners do not have Plate Envy at the dinner table..lol

Nope. It should be offered in specialty restaurants and you should go there for it.

I was just wondering if, when at home and going out to eat with family or friends, he waits until everyone else orders before ordering so he doesn't make them feel uncomfortable and makes sure not to order anything more expensive than them?

Plate Envy...cracked me up!

Nope. It's she, and we don't dine with strangers at the table except on cruises from time to time.

Why pay base rates not to eat base food offerings in MDR?

The whole discussion, and long run strategy blew right past your fixation for plate envy humor. Carnival +1, passengers -1.

Does this sincerely make you uncomfortable? If I sit at your table and order a steak you are embarrassed/disgusted?

Nope, not at all. Order up!

I love a great steak.

Base rates should go down to 50% of what they are, and the MDR should convert to ala carte soon in lieu of maintaining MDR inclusive standards.

It seems that people will have to start thinking about the fiscal impact of ordering food (families especially with kids beyond 9-10 years old) both in the MDR and now room service.

GUESS ESTIMATES

At $10-20 per choice per person in MDR (dinners only) for a 7 days cruise = ROUGHLY $300 - $500 more for the cruise. In addition, every up charge selection that family might make for room service at $5-$10 per item per person for a 7 day cruise = a range of about $70 to $300 more for the week. The estimates of course vary widely, and do not include specialty restaurants. That adds up to POTENTIALLY a lot more spend when for decades it was included.

It is what it is.

I'd love to be at a table full of vegans. Then I could order a double cheese burger with bacon and chili. :cool:

They may barf all over your table, and likely would move to another table by request.

It's all good.

Changes happen frequently with public seating arrangements.

I don't take anything on these boards seriously.

The average number of posts per thread is minuscule compared to the 4.5 million people Carnival carries per year.

This 3 ship test will provide real numeric results, and we will likely never know the real numbers of up charged RS items ordered before the next changes come.

Edited by eponym

Cruise lines could easily decide to cheapen the quality of the MDR food over time for the masses to the point where it drives passengers to select upcharge items on a regular basis. It's a potential strategy to get to the end game they would prefer.

Potential strategy ? I think it's been in play for years - whether intentional or not. They've definitely changed the MDR experience... the place settings have become less formal (read: less expensive), each waiter has more tables (read: less expensive - with service taking a hit), no more sommelier (they've even eliminated them from the Supper Club.... errr... STEAKHOUSE)!

They've taken the chicken out of the Greek Farmer's Salad... I could go on and on (LOL). Actually we don't dine in the MDR - for dinner at any rate - on ships which have specialty dining.

I think it's a combination of the bar being lowered in the MDR and our expectations changing over time. We don't care for the loud, bustling atmosphere with the dancing waiters. We prefer a more relaxed environment with attention to detail. We don't dine like that at home - so we "do it up right" onboard. For our next cruise, we've already booked the Steakhouse for 7 pm each evening - it's one of our favorite things about cruising. That and the chocolates on the pillows! In reality, either those things really got crapier over the years, or I just can't tolerate cheap chocolate any longer ! :D

Tom

Potential strategy ? I think it's been in play for years - whether intentional or not. They've definitely changed the MDR experience... the place settings have become less formal (read: less expensive), each waiter has more tables (read: less expensive - with service taking a hit), no more sommelier (they've even eliminated them from the Supper Club.... errr... STEAKHOUSE)!

They've taken the chicken out of the Greek Farmer's Salad... I could go on and on (LOL). Actually we don't dine in the MDR - for dinner at any rate - on ships which have specialty dining.

I think it's a combination of the bar being lowered in the MDR and our expectations changing over time. We don't care for the loud, bustling atmosphere with the dancing waiters. We prefer a more relaxed environment with attention to detail. We don't dine like that at home - so we "do it up right" onboard. For our next cruise, we've already booked the Steakhouse for 7 pm each evening - it's one of our favorite things about cruising. That and the chocolates on the pillows! In reality, either those things really got crapier over the years, or I just can't tolerate cheap chocolate any longer ! :D

Tom

I get it. Thanks for your post.

LOL..yes...so many good choices even on new menus...we will not starve.

I do not think being able to order the better items is that much of a deal...new people have the whole new to them menu and a couple of options...everyone orders seconds or another choice from main menu if wanted..and all or most all who cruise spend a few extra dollars on something...if it was a whole other menu then yeas but a couple of items when they still have cruise elegant and better beef and a lobster choice is not big deal to me..not separate ship class situations like some have. And I feel the way they do it, ship within ship suite areas with extras...fine on those ships too. There are a huge variety of things to do that all do at a far better price than land...ie entertainment on those ships...and lots of nice cabin sizes and there is always..."rank" in cabin choice..ANYWAY...we are all used to paying more for more whatever and all having good cruise deals. We have to stop splitting hairs after change shock....IMHO..save it for the big bad changes..LOL.

Sarah

Interesting. Order up! I think it should be separated from MDR. Take your passion for spending for higher quality to a higher quality dining setting.

When we want something special above and beyond the norm (or included) we seek to enjoy it in a special setting.

I don't look to eat aged beef and 3/4 pound lobster tails while sitting at McDonald's.

We are the opposite. DH would love to get a steak from the steak house but it is not worth the money with me since I am not huge meat eater. Now he will have the choice to upgrade his steak in the MDR without having to pay for me to upgrade to something I wouldn't appreciate. We like having the upgrade option in the MDR.

We are the opposite. DH would love to get a steak from the steak house but it is not worth the money with me since I am not huge meat eater. Now he will have the choice to upgrade his steak in the MDR without having to pay for me to upgrade to something I wouldn't appreciate. We like having the upgrade option in the MDR.

How many Carnival ships still don't have a premium eatery of any kind? I really don't know the answer. It doesn't have to be a steakhouse.

The inspiration, imagination, paradise and other spirit ships do not have steakhouse areas. Only food for fee is the coffee shop

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Well there are always those possibilities.

The inspiration, imagination, paradise and other spirit ships do not have steakhouse areas. Only food for fee is the coffee shop

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Teh Inspiration, Imagination and Paradise are Fantasy class ships, not Spirit class ships. All the Spirit class ships (Spirit, Pride, Legend & Miracle) have a steak house. There are eight Fantasy class ship. In addition the Victory, Triumph and Destiny did not include steakhouses. I don't know if the Sunshine got one when it was converted from the Destiny. To the best of my knowledge, the Triumph and Victory have not had a steakhouse added.

Well here's my take on drink packages--the illusion that you're getting a good deal only holds true based on the retail price on the individual drinks you are buying. At $10-12 per drink (less for beer), it's easy to rationalize that if I drink 5-6 drinks per day, I will break even on my $55 per day package. However, when taking into consideration how little the cruise line actually pays for their alcohol, they are still making money hand over fist on the packages. That profit margin is even more apparent on a per drink basis. However, they charge what they do because you are a captive audience so to speak, and they have no competition or other options while at sea, so you have no other choice but to buy from them. On another note, for all of the people who say, "just suck it up and pay their prices," why are there so many threads asking how much pop, water, and alcohol they can get away with checking on or smuggling onboard. That said, obviously not everyone is ok with their inflated price gouging. While I understand that some people bring on their own soda due to flavor preferences, their are others who obviously are doing it to "cheat" the cruise line per se, as evidenced by people bringing on the same brands as sold onboard. Just for a point of reference, we are buying soda cards for 4 out of the 5 of us (the youngest is under 2). Why? One, I do have morals and ethics and am not going to cheat the cruise line even though I still feel their prices are rather high--however, based on a per can price of nearly $3 each, the package is the best decision. And, I do not dispute the fact that the cruise lines charge for soda, as it had never been included (except for Disney), though I do feel the prices they charge are too high. When I can but soda at a wholesale club for about 29 cents per can, I'm sure the cruise lines are paying even less, I do feel that $2.50-$3.00 per can is ridiculous. I could realistically see paying $1.00 per can--would still be a roughly 400% markup. Which leads me to one last thing--I would be more likely to purchase items in larger quantities if I don't get the feeling that I'm being shafted. At $3 per can of soda, I might only buy a few all week, if any at all. At $1.00 or even a bit more per can, I might buy 20 or more in a weeks time. Even at that rate, the cruise line got more of my money by accepting a reasonable profit margin, rather than trying to screw me. The game can be played both ways.

Apply your "business" principles to your own private business (your family and your household). Are you willing to take a "reasonable profit margin" on your salary from your employer (because you are selling him/her your talents) rather than fighting for the highest possible salary you can get for your talents and services?

Edited by Retired_to_Cruise

Nope. It's she, and we don't dine with strangers at the table except on cruises from time to time.

Why pay base rates not to eat base food offerings in MDR?

The whole discussion, and long run strategy blew right past your fixation for plate envy humor. Carnival +1, passengers -1.

Have to love when someone answers back with an insult. I can actually carry on a conversation without resorting to that type of behavior. Sorry to disappoint.

Your whole theory of long range strategy is just that, a theory. Could be a true theory, who knows. The real world, outside of cruising, already operates on a "upcharge" for people who choose to divulge. I pay more for box seats than I do for upper deck at sporting events. I pay more at a restaurant to change one of my sides to asparagus. I pay more at the car wash to get wax. All of those have base packages but you have choices to pay more for extras.

I happen to like choices. I like that they are adding more choices to the room service menu. I like that they have added more options in the MDR and I don't have to make reservations and change restaurants to partake if I choose. I like that I can choose if I want to pay extra for something that is not on the base menus, but that I don't have to if I don't want to. I like having options and I see no reason to complain about anything that I'm not being forced to do.

Apply your "business" principles to your own private business (your family and your household). Are you willing to take a "reasonable profit margin" on your salary from your employer (because you are selling him/her your talents) rather than fighting for the highest possible salary you can get for your talents and services?

I understand what you're saying, but profits could actually be increased by selling at a larger volume vs a larger margin. My salary actually equates to roughly 25% of what our customers are charged and I feel I earn an acceptable salary. The company I work for would not be in business very long if we charged 8-12 times per hour what employees are paid. We are priced fairly and the company does very well on a lower per job margin, but at a larger volume. The main difference being that my employer is in a competitive market, not a captive one.

What a shame if they start charging for room service items. I would be okay with paying for hot items though! Most of the food we can get from lido when its open so it seems like we are being charged for something we already paid for in our cruise fair.

Charging for only some "new" items? Once the camel's nose is under the tent....