New Room Service Menu Coming April 12th - w/some pay items

Tom-n-Cheryl

[QUO TE=happy cruzin;46221851]Thanks for checking on the Guy's hours - if you can! Interesting that they are asking what's current cruisers think... ;)

Hopefully get to ask someone this afternoon. If not, we know some management people and I owe them a thanks for gifts in our cabin when we arrived, so I can ask them as well.

Yes, been busy, not to mention it's just not the same around here. Came back to find a roll call for a cruise we just booked and popped in here after I saw JH post something about this on facebook....wanted to see what people were thinking about it.

Wanted to post something light, but that doesn't always work it seems.

As far as the topic goes....CCL cruises are pretty darn reasonable and I think if they need to make up money in some fashion, this isn't that big a deal. My stance has always been, if they need to charge more, DO it, just don't REMOVE things from the cruise experience....

Options are fine.

Elimination/cuts are not.

So quickly?? I have been a member here since 2004....although the past 11 years has passed rather quickly....

Aside from that, a good portion of this thread is off topic.

Best wishes to you as well.

Good to see you again! :)

Generally it's not an issue

Tom

You'd think some lightheartedness amidst all the bickering would be welcome....:p

Your stance is the same as always (lol). Good to see you posting. Maybe cruise with you someday. (Off topic posts don't change much.... These included).

Yeah, I'm very adamant about not wanting things eliminated from my cruise experience!!! :D

LOL, I'd like to say it's good to be back, but I'm not quite sure about that. :p

Eventually we'll wind up on a ship together.....we both cruise often enough that statistically, it's BOUND to happen.

Good to see you again! :)

It's nice to see some familiar 'faces' still here :)

Edited by halos

You'd think some lightheartedness amidst all the bickering would be welcome....:p

Yeah, I'm very adamant about not wanting things eliminated from my cruise experience!!! :D

LOL, I'd like to say it's good to be back, but I'm not quite sure about that. :p

Eventually we'll wind up on a ship together.....we both cruise often enough that statistically, it's BOUND to happen.

It's nice to see some familiar 'faces' still here :)

Halos you have been missed...

Holy thread growth batman.

I will just add that while I am thrilled to see that my BLT and chocolate cake are still free, I am also excited about the pay for options! I think we will probably even try a couple of them. I'm glad it's (mostly) stuff you can't find elsewhere on the ship, and it's another option, so I'm game.

I think that pizza is gonna be a big nope from us though. I know it could be beneficial to some, but I'll take the stairs and get it on Lido. ;)

I don't know. With all the money they are saving for fuel these days, it seems strange with that Carnival is going to the more pay for play model.

I for one do not like sitting with my son at a table for two, 7 inches away from my neighbors and having fine wine and a steak while they are relegated to Spring Rolls and that straight-line fried shrimp and a cheese plate full of Velveta and swiss.

I just feel bad and try not to belch.

I for one do not like sitting with my son at a table for two, 7 inches away from my neighbors ...

One of our pet peeves is the close, oftentimes, bench style seating arrangements for two toppers (tables) in some places. We simply won't do it... either going somewhere else to eat, or waiting for a better table/location to become available.

In situations like that, there's no such thing as a private conversation - utterly ridiculous !

Tom

One of our pet peeves is the close, oftentimes, bench style seating arrangements for two toppers (tables) in some places. We simply won't do it... either going somewhere else to eat, or waiting for a better table/location to become available.

In situations like that, there's no such thing as a private conversation - utterly ridiculous !

Tom

And I guess that takes us back to the topic of new room service menu. A great alternative to cramped 2 top table dining.

Edited by eponym

Perhaps the best solution for "cramped" two top tables is to do away with that illusion and go back to the larger, more traditional, cruise dining tables. Maybe put social back in society?

For those who need privacy when dining, there are options, at an additional charge to cover the extra food costs, labor, and perhaps real estate. Or for those who simply want additional room service choices, there is the same.

As always, if Carnival Cruise Line doesn't meet your needs, there are a number of other cruise lines that might, for an additional charge. Niches have a way of merging and disappearing, however, as costs of maintaining them increase at a rate faster than many are willing to pay.

If you are looking for someone to blame for the "new" room service charges, RCCL started the whole thing by charging a $3.95 service charge after midnight claiming that too much food was ordered (presumably by teens) and wasted. The new late night service charge was supposed to eliminate this problem.

NCCL already had a bunch of pay for extra dining options to which they now added an approximately $7.95 room service charge.

All the other lines are just following. Hey, if there is money to be made on something (that was originally free) that the passengers will pay for, they are going to keep adding more and more charges.:(

MARAPRINCE

If you are looking for someone to blame for the "new" room service charges, RCCL started the whole thing by charging a $3.95 service charge after midnight claiming that too much food was ordered (presumably by teens) and wasted. The new late night service charge was supposed to eliminate this problem.

NCCL already had a bunch of pay for extra dining options to which they now added an approximately $7.95 room service charge.

All the other lines are just following. Hey, if there is money to be made on something (that was originally free) that the passengers will pay for, they are going to keep adding more and more charges.:(

MARAPRINCE

All of what you say is true. Cruising is evolving, more quickly now than in the past. Most of this comes from what some here say is innovation. Whether it is off broadway shows, no MDR, more for pay food options, merry go round, bumper cars, and yes also 5D movies or colossal water slides, these things (and make no mistake there is a cost for these) are changing what cruising has been and what it will become.

It is much more common now to have to "plan" for your cruise and book your dining, show, and a host of other items months in advance. I still long for those relaxing days at sea, but may be in the minority.:confused:

It is much more common now to have to "plan" for your cruise and book your dining, show, and a host of other items months in advance. I still long for those relaxing days at sea, but may be in the minority.:confused:

So do I. I refuse to over plan.

Nope - I too look forward to relaxing days of doing nothing. I think that today's market is more used to being entertained and engaged, and want those options on vacation as well. May also be that many more people nowadays lead very active lifestyles versus more sedentary ones. Cruise lines know this - why else would we have mega sized gyms, jogging tracks, rock climbing walls, flowriders, skydiving simulators, ziplines, etc.? Which is fine to have the options - so long as they don't take away the deck chairs (if you can ever find one), and other means of relaxation.

• 2 weeks later...
Very well stated and I totally agree!! My feeling is that the free delivery items will disappear soon or will get a charge added due to the attitude of many that "We don't care if it makes our cruise cheaper".

Personally, I am not seeing Carnival as being the mega cheap they were the past couple of years.

Our last 4 cruises were on Princess and they cost LESS than anything closely related on Carnival.

carnival ships sailing out of oz have no free room service and the items are not cheap

Yes, and their response will be too simply raise the base rates, effectively making you pay for goods and services that you don't need or even want. I would prefer to keep the base rates low, and CHOOSE to pay a little extra for those things that I want. But that's just me.

If you want super cheap fares with nothing included just take ferries from point to point. Then you get the added bonus of creating your own itineraries. Cruising is supposed to be all-inclusive. You pay a bunch of money upfront so that you don't have to sit there and think about cost and stress about your vacation budget while you are on the vacation.

All of what you say is true. Cruising is evolving, more quickly now than in the past. Most of this comes from what some here say is innovation. Whether it is off broadway shows, no MDR, more for pay food options, merry go round, bumper cars, and yes also 5D movies or colossal water slides, these things (and make no mistake there is a cost for these) are changing what cruising has been and what it will become.

Even an all-inclusive resort does not expect their guests to do as much pre-reserving as RCL requires on their mega ships!:( And there is no guarantee you will get the times you want for both the shows and dining venues.

The cost for all of these new innovations (bumper cars, etc.) are indeed included in your cruise fare whether or not you use them. Since the new mega ships have much larger passenger capacity but not a lot of outside deck space, no way can everyone get a deck chair so "distractions" have been added. RCL freely admits all of this is to attract new/first time cruisers. The real test is how many of them will book another cruise.

So to answer your question, just sitting in a deck chair watching the ocean, catching a nap or reading a book have not disappeared.

What seems to be the future of cruising is 2 distinctly different types of experience -- similar to river barges -- one very action oriented and the other more laid back.

MARAPRINCE

Even an all-inclusive resort does not expect their guests to do as much pre-reserving as RCL requires on their mega ships!:( And there is no guarantee you will get the times you want for both the shows and dining venues.

The cost for all of these new innovations (bumper cars, etc.) are indeed included in your cruise fare whether or not you use them. Since the new mega ships have much larger passenger capacity but not a lot of outside deck space, no way can everyone get a deck chair so "distractions" have been added. RCL freely admits all of this is to attract new/first time cruisers. The real test is how many of them will book another cruise.

So to answer your question, just sitting in a deck chair watching the ocean, catching a nap or reading a book have not disappeared.

What seems to be the future of cruising is 2 distinctly different types of experience -- similar to river barges -- one very action oriented and the other more laid back.

MARAPRINCE

I agree on all counts. It will be interesting to see what happens.