Balcony for Three

dave_k58

We have always sailed Carnival and RCL and are thinking about taking Princess out of Houston in the spring. Wife and I always take grandson so we have the main bed of course and he had a fold out sofa, which was fine. I have heard that in the balcony cabins on Princess, they just move in a roll away. I think that would use up half the cabin and be very unsightly. Any ideas about this? THanks.

We have always sailed Carnival and RCL and are thinking about taking Princess out of Houston in the spring. Wife and I always take grandson so we have the main bed of course and he had a fold out sofa, which was fine. I have heard that in the balcony cabins on Princess, they just move in a roll away. I think that would use up half the cabin and be very unsightly. Any ideas about this? THanks.

Check out the Princess website for layouts of the balcony rooms. Unlike many cruise lines, Princess does not offer sofas until you book mini-suite or full suite cabins. Only the smallest ships on Princess offer sofas.

Happy sailing.

Even though they are the same size cabins Princess only uses rollaways in certain cabins. You might try and get a balcony cabin with an actual 3rd berth. (ceiling/wall) then during the day its put up out of the way. We have had a rollaway in our balcony cabin a few times. The rollaways take up way too much room and are a major safety hazard IMO. :(

Thanks, everyone for your advice. ColoCruise - I agree the roll away is a safety hazard - and I hate the idea of one on a cruise ship. Grandson wouldn't mind a bed that pulls out, kind of like a bunk bed. Princess cruise page is not very helpful - they just say the pictures are " representative" of the balcony cabins.

Thanks, everyone for your advice. ColoCruise - I agree the roll away is a safety hazard - and I hate the idea of one on a cruise ship. Grandson wouldn't mind a bed that pulls out, kind of like a bunk bed. Princess cruise page is not very helpful - they just say the pictures are " representative" of the balcony cabins.

I remember one time on the Caribbean Princess with our 2 son's. There was a 3rd berth but the 4th was a rollaway (never again). The head of it was up on the regular bed and the foot was up against the balcony door. He ended up putting it out on the balcony after the second day. When he woke up in the hot Caribbean sun he was sweating like crazy. :D

There are only a few more sailings from Houston THIS spring, a few in the Gulf and then the Atlantic crossing. Thus there may be limited availability. Ask for a Balcony category cabin that has a bunk bed that pulls down from the ceiling, or if you book a mini suite they have a pull out sofa.

I don't think there is a sofa in Princess Balcony cabins except on the Pacific and Ocean Princess

Check out the Princess website for layouts of the balcony rooms. Unlike many cruise lines, Princess does not offer sofas until you book mini-suite or full suite cabins. Only the smallest ships on Princess offer sofas.

Happy sailing.

The Royal/Regal "deluxe" balcony cabins have a slightly smaller version of the minisuite's couch. We've enjoyed the couch which I believe can be converted into a sofa bed.

Edited by Astro Flyer

There are only a few more sailings from Houston THIS spring, a few in the Gulf and then the Atlantic crossing. Thus there may be limited availability. Ask for a Balcony category cabin that has a bunk bed that pulls down from the ceiling, or if you book a mini suite they have a pull out sofa.

We'll be on Carnival Magic this summer. Primarily thinking about the Caribbean Princess next spring. Not so sure after the reviews I was reading on CC today.

We'll be on Carnival Magic this summer. Primarily thinking about the Caribbean Princess next spring. Not so sure after the reviews I was reading on CC today.

It's merely my opinion however if I based my cruise choices on CC posts, we would rarely take a cruise. ;)

I take all reviews with a grain of salt and had completely different experiences on the same cruise. I find the reviews posted on this forum more helpful than the passenger "reviews" on CC which to me are too often one sided rants. :(

Sometimes there is too much hyperbole and I've read posts from those who love & others who hate the Caribbean...just like any other ship. Too often someone hesitates to sail on a ship & posts later saying they had a great cruise. :D

Edited by Astro Flyer

It's merely my opinion however if I based my cruise choices on CC posts, we would rarely take a cruise. ;)

I take all reviews with a grain of salt and had completely different experiences on the same cruise. I find the reviews posted on this forum more helpful than the passenger "reviews" on CC which to me are too often one sided rants. :(

Sometimes there is too much hyperbole and I've read posts from those who love & others who hate the Caribbean...just like any other ship. Too often someone hesitates to sail on a ship & posts later saying they had a great cruise. :D

I agree with you on a lot of your points. I am not a picky cruiser. It just seemed like there were so many of the same comments about the mold and sewage smell - it was a bit hard to ignore.

I agree with you on a lot of your points. I am not a picky cruiser. It just seemed like there were so many of the same comments about the mold and sewage smell - it was a bit hard to ignore.

That's definitely a consideration although I know people who recently sailed on the Grand who said it was not a major issue for them. If the Grand was the only option for our itinerary then we'd probably sail her despite those issues but she wouldn't be at the top of our list.

There are enough options for each of us to decide what is best for each of us. :)