For those who do not like the fact that DSC is 100% Discretionary...

LoveyHowell

[quote name='rvsullivan']I think the OP is just trolling a bit here. Since the other threads have started to die down a bit, it's time to start another dispute.
The OP starts this off with a false argument. The typical dispute about this whole topic is not about whether you can remove the DSC, of course you can and always have been able to. Not one of the DSC supporters has ever, that I have seen, disputed NCL right to manage DSC as they wish, so no dispute with NCL at all. Most of the discussion comes down to doing "the right thing". Which for most means taking care of the staff. There has yet to be a solid argument for removing the DSC for no reason, other than the fact that "I can". There typically are two reasons for removing the DSC across the board. One is because I can. The other is because you're cheap. There is no other reason, adjusting it a bit for a service issue does not count. If there is a legitimate service issue that you address that is not resolved, then of course it can and should be adjusted. Stopping my sailing with NCL would never come into play, the only reason to even argue this whole subject is I think we all hope we could convince people to support the staff. If you refuse to pay, I can't change it. All I can do is feel bad for the poor staff that are being stiffed by those who are too cheap to support their hard work.[/QUOTE]Very, very well said!

[quote name='legion3']Why?[/QUOTE]

Because 1) tipping $3-5 to 2-4 staff members per day is roughly more higher than paying the DSC that covers all the staff and 2) those that claim they do really don't because of how NCL is set up especially for dinner time (One doesn't always get the same waiter each night compare to other lines due to Freestyle concept)

[quote name='rvsullivan']I think the OP is just trolling a bit here. Since the other threads have started to die down a bit, it's time to start another dispute.
The OP starts this off with a false argument. The typical dispute about this whole topic is not about whether you can remove the DSC, of course you can and always have been able to. Not one of the DSC supporters has ever, that I have seen, disputed NCL right to manage DSC as they wish, so no dispute with NCL at all. Most of the discussion comes down to doing "the right thing". Which for most means taking care of the staff. There has yet to be a solid argument for removing the DSC for no reason, other than the fact that "I can". There typically are two reasons for removing the DSC across the board. One is because I can. The other is because you're cheap. There is no other reason, adjusting it a bit for a service issue does not count. If there is a legitimate service issue that you address that is not resolved, then of course it can and should be adjusted. Stopping my sailing with NCL would never come into play, the only reason to even argue this whole subject is I think we all hope we could convince people to support the staff. If you refuse to pay, I can't change it.[B] All I can do is feel bad for the poor staff that are being stiffed by those who are too cheap to support their hard work[/B].[/QUOTE]

You could tip them better. That would make them and possibly you not feel bad.

[quote name='maywell']Because 1) tipping $3-5 to 2-4 staff members per day is roughly more higher than paying the DSC that covers all the staff and 2) those that claim they do really don't because of how NCL is set up especially for dinner time (One doesn't always get the same waiter each night compare to other lines due to Freestyle concept)[/QUOTE]

What?

That does not answer why he or anyone cares if anyone tips for good service.

For example I don't care if you tip for good service or not.

[quote name='mjkacmom']Removing the DSC just because you can is like going to a restaurant, and stiffing the server, just because you can. There is no difference. If you can't afford to tip the server, you can't afford to eat at the restaurant. If you don't like the whole tipping pay structure, don't eat at restaurants where servers rely on tips for a salary (ie - most US restaurants).

If you don't like the DSC, just cruise lines that don't have it - but, you know you will be paying more upfront, right? The only way to have the least expensive cruise, and not have to pay a DSC, is to stiff the staff, which is exactly what you are doing if you remove the DSC.[/QUOTE]
This isn't even close to a good analogy. On land the tip isn't handled and pooled and distributed by the employer with funds with held for the employers discretionary use. When I go to a land based restaurant I don't tip the janitors, cooks, hostess or periphery employees.
I intend to remove the DSC and tip all the food servers who serve me and and the cabin attendant in cash. That way they will actually get more then if NCL doles it out. If they choose to put it into a tipping pool it's at their discretion but i doubt they would hand it over.
It's up to an indiviual to decide what they are comfortable with. Calling someone cheap who pays the equivalent of the DSC isn't cheap, I think they're more considerate to take the time to see to it that the people who serve them get what they deserve in cash.

[quote name='NLH Arizona']And you must really hate them. BTW, I also love cruising on Celebrity and Crystal.[/QUOTE]

I was trying my best not calling him out on those 2 lines since they go to the canaries in Jan 2016 too, lol....

[quote name='cruzsnooze']When I go to a land based restaurant I don't tip the janitors, cooks, hostess or periphery employees.
[/QUOTE]Well, actually in some restaurants you do tip others, you just don't know it. In many restaurants, the servers are required to tip-out the hostesses, bus boys, bar tenders and other back of the house staff.

BTW, there are also some restaurants that actually pool their tips, manly because they didn't feel that their servers were giving proper tip-outs to the other staff members.

[quote name='cruzsnooze']This isn't even close to a good analogy. On land the tip isn't handled and pooled and distributed by the employer with funds with held for the employers discretionary use. When I go to a land based restaurant I don't tip the janitors, cooks, hostess or periphery employees.
I intend to remove the DSC and tip all the food servers who serve me and and the cabin attendant in cash. That way they will actually get more then if NCL doles it out. If they choose to put it into a tipping pool it's at their discretion but i doubt they would hand it over.
It's up to an indiviual to decide what they are comfortable with. Calling someone cheap who pays the equivalent of the DSC isn't cheap, I think they're more considerate to take the time to see to it that the people who serve them get what they deserve in cash.[/QUOTE]

Depending on the land restaurant in the US, you are tipping the busboy and/or dishwasher - the waiter has to give them a kickback.... The DSC on NCL at the lowest is $12.95 per day for one passenger for the entire staff - Are you comfortable doling out $10-20 per day to such a low number of people? Remember if you have a spouse and/or kids / family members, you have to tip according for them on their behalf too.

Edit: Its that glaring fact is why some posters highly doubt other posters who remove / reduce DSC will tip in cash. You're not tipping for just yourself unless you're a solo traveler, you're tipping for other person(s) too. Edited by maywell

[quote name='Larlin']I think it would be interesting to know how many people who remove gratuities, actually tip people who DO give them good service.[/QUOTE]

Count me in. I will tip in cash according to what I believe is an appropriate amount. $3 PP PD for the cabin steward and approx $3 PP PD for EACH meal in the dining room and $2 PP PD for buffet meal. That's about $10 PP PD. I won't be using room service at $7.95 per order. It doesn't matter to me what anyone says or does, it's their choice to make but I thought I'd share my intentions since you asked.

[quote name='NLH Arizona']Well, actually in some restaurants you do tip others, you just don't know it. In many restaurants, the servers are required to tip-out the hostesses, bus boys, bar tenders and other back of the house staff.

BTW, there are also some restaurants that actually pool their tips, manly because they didn't feel that their servers were giving proper tip-outs to the other staff members.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but no restaurant I have ever worked in tipped out the janitor or the cook or the dishwasher...(you weren't required to tip the hostess, but you'd do well to bribe her)... bus boys and bartenders, yes, but not the friggin'' pest control guy.

Having worked in one establishment which did pool tips, I can tell you unequivocally that those programs do not see 100% of the tips a server or FOH bartender receives. Edited by triptolemus

[quote name='maywell']Depending on the land restaurant in the US, you are tipping the busboy and/or dishwasher - the waiter has to give them a kickback.... The DSC on NCL at the lowest is $12.95 per day for one passenger for the entire staff - Are you comfortable doling out $10-20 per day to such a low number of people? Remember if you have a spouse and/or kids / family members, you have to tip for them on their behalf too.[/QUOTE]I'm more then comfortable. I'm not comfortable tipping out the "entire" staff as you put it.

[quote name='cruzsnooze']I'm more then comfortable. I'm not comfortable tipping out the "entire" staff as you put it.[/QUOTE]

Then tip for yourself and/or your spouse / whomever else is with you and enjoy.

[quote name='cruzsnooze']Count me in. I will tip in cash according to what I believe is an appropriate amount. $3 PP PD for the cabin steward and approx $3 PP PD for EACH meal in the dining room and $2 PP PD for buffet meal. That's about $10 PP PD. I won't be using room service at $7.95 per order. It doesn't matter to me what anyone says or does, it's their choice to make but I thought I'd share my intentions since you asked.[/QUOTE]

And how many people are cruising with you? Just curious....

[quote name='cruzsnooze']This isn't even close to a good analogy. On land the tip isn't handled and pooled and distributed by the employer with funds with held for the employers discretionary use. When I go to a land based restaurant I don't tip the janitors, cooks, hostess or periphery employees.
It's up to an indiviual to decide what they are comfortable with. Calling someone cheap who pays the equivalent of the DSC isn't cheap, I think they're more considerate to take the time to see to it that the people who serve them get what they deserve in cash.[/QUOTE]

Actually in a lot of restaurants tips are pooled and distributed, you just don't know about it. Many have a requirement for waiters/waitresses to share tips, even cash ones with other personnel (busboys, dishwashers, etc.)

[quote name='RDC1']Actually in a lot of restaurants tips are pooled and distributed, you just don't know about it. Many have a requirement for waiters/waitresses to share tips, even cash ones with other personnel (busboys, dishwashers, etc.)[/QUOTE]

But I'm not tipping them, the company is. I'm tipping only the server, what happens with [B]their[/B] money once I have given it to them, and it ceases to be [B]my[/B] money does not concern me.

I disagree. At a last based restaurant, some employees are paid a regular salary (manager, cooks), while others are payed mostly in tips (servers, plus they tip out other staff, such as bartenders and bus boys). On NCL, some employees are paid a regular salary (officers, kids club staff), while others are payed mostly in tips (servers, dishwashers, stewards, laundry). This is NCL's way of paying their employees. They have been doing it for at least 10 years (that I know of), so I'm guessing it works. Why people insist on messing with it is beyond me, especially if they are doing as they say they are doing, and tipping out the exact same amount, but to different people.

Does it really make you feel like a big hero to be tipping your server a lot extra, while screwing the behind the scene staff who would also like to be paid? If you need that rush of being the big tipper, be the big tipper, and tip on top of the DSC. Many do.

[quote name='mjkacmom']I disagree. At a last based restaurant, some employees are paid a regular salary (manager, cooks), while others are payed mostly in tips (servers, plus they tip out other staff, such as bartenders and bus boys). On NCL, some employees are paid a regular salary (officers, kids club staff), while others are payed mostly in tips (servers, dishwashers, stewards, laundry). This is NCL's way of paying their employees. They have been doing it for at least 10 years (that I know of), so I'm guessing it works. Why people insist on messing with it is beyond me, especially if they are doing as they say they are doing, and tipping out the exact same amount, but to different people.

Does it really make you feel like a big hero to be tipping your server a lot extra, [B]while screwing the behind the scene staff who would also like to be paid?[/B] If you need that rush of being the big tipper, be the big tipper, and tip on top of the DSC. Many do.[/QUOTE]

NCL's system is screwing them not cruzsnooze.

[quote name='mlsetc']I am an over tipper, I pay the DSC and tip room steward and good waiters with cash. Life's too short, can't take it with you.��[/QUOTE]

A solid personal choice! Top notch. This is what we usually do too, although I would prefer not to pay for room service but would still tip the delivery person.

Whether I remove the room service charge later from the DSC will be my choice based on other factors. (timeliness, quality, warm or cold, etc...)

[quote name='legion3']4 but one is a 5 year old and the other a 8 year old, they usually don't tip for good or poor service.[/QUOTE]

Umm, you do know you have to tip for kids especially if their dining at the restaurant, right? That's a least a $1-2 per kid...But that's your money, belief system and whatever floats your boat.

maywell do you tip the flight stewardess when you fly and provide a good service to you??or the guys that put the luggage on the aircraft for you??? or the check in agent who gives you the boarding pass? i am just wondering!

[quote name='legion3']A solid personal choice! Top notch. This is what we usually do too, although I would prefer not to pay for room service but would still tip the delivery person.

Whether I remove the room service charge later from the DSC will be my choice based on other factors. (timeliness, quality, warm or cold, etc...)[/QUOTE]

We rarely use room service, so the charge doesn't affect us