Liverpool 24th- 25th May

Host Hattie

Ha ha bell boy my husband [ a southener] himself bless him says as soon as I get off the M5 my accent returns. I still have to explain why something is ant wacky . We could have the whole ship and crew speaking Scouse by the time we reach Crosby. I am so excited I am fit to burst :)

Hi all

Two things to those on board. I have just been trawling the Internet and found the on board speakers for QV are Eric Flounders and Peter Snow has anybody else heard this. Secondly when we dock at the Liverpool cruise terminal will we be facing forward or do you think the ship will turn ready to sail out. I know it's a bit of a daft question just want to work out if I will have a view of Liverpool or Birkenhead

Thanks

Liz:)

Hi all

Two things to those on board. I have just been trawling the Internet and found the on board speakers for QV are Eric Flounders and Peter Snow has anybody else heard this. Secondly when we dock at the Liverpool cruise terminal will we be facing forward or do you think the ship will turn ready to sail out. I know it's a bit of a daft question just want to work out if I will have a view of Liverpool or Birkenhead

Thanks

Eric Flounders used to be head of PR for Cunard and is a very good and knowledgeable speaker.

I would expect you will be docking facing down river ready to leave, but that's only a guess on my part.

Hi all

Thanks

The full list of Insight speakers is here. As well as the 2 you mentioned you have Robert Key - Magna Carta Expert and former Politician.

Peter Snow was lecturing on our QM2 trip last year - he gave a couple of talks (one on Waterloo and one on the Burning of the White House) and a Q&A session.

Edited by Host Hattie

Thanks Lanky Lad and Hattie.

Love the mine of info you guys have. I have just found Eric Flounders book on Amazon but thinking they may have some on board or he may sell them.

Have a fab bank holiday weekend. Can't wait for the next one

Liz :)

Thanks Lanky Lad and Hattie.

Love the mine of info you guys have. I have just found Eric Flounders book on Amazon but thinking they may have some on board or he may sell them.

Have a fab bank holiday weekend. Can't wait for the next one

Liz :)

I think it's safe to say the book will be available on board and there is usually a book signing organised.

• 2 weeks later...

Friends of our were on the Lusitania voyage & they were given the Eric Flounders book on Cunard as part of the 175 celebrations. Oh, and a 175 pin 😁

Three Queens salute Liverpool

Join us and be a part of our illustrious history

Between 24-26 May 2015, all three Cunard ships will call at Liverpool to salute a city that will be forever part of our history, culminating in all three Queens meeting on the Mersey for the first time on 25 May. The rendezvous of three ships offers you three different ways to take your place at the forefront of this remarkable event.

A full complement of guests will experience the occasion from Queen Elizabeth, arriving there as the final visit during a 16 night cruise around the Baltic Sea. Queen Mary 2’s 10 night route stays closer to home, calling in Scotland, Ireland and Guernsey. Queen Victoria arrives in Liverpool during a 6 night cruise that also visits Guernsey.

Sunday 24 May

•09:00 - Queen Mary 2 arrives in the city and berths at Liverpool Cruise Liner Terminal.

•22:00 - ‘Amazing Graces’ digital / light projection show on the Three Graces

•22:30 - Mid-river Firework display, off the Pier Head

Bank Holiday Monday 25 May

•10:45 - Queen Mary 2 leaves the berth to greet her two sisters at the mouth of the Mersey (the area between Crosby Beach and New Brighton)

•12:00–14:00 - Three Queens meet and sail south in formation towards the Liverpool Echo Arena, and then turn through 180 degrees to face north. Further manoeuvres may be possible depending on weather conditions on the day.

•14:00–14:15 - Queen Mary 2 leaves the city. Queen Elizabeth berths at the Cruise Liner Terminal and Queen Victoria anchors in the middle of the Mersey

•22:00–23:00 - Amazing Graces’ digital / light projection show on the Three Graces

•22:30 - Firework display. Following the display, Queen Elizabeth leaves the city and Queen Victoria berths at the Cruise Liner Terminal

Tuesday 26 May

•16:30 - A special musical sail-away performance to say good bye to Queen Victoria

•17:00 - Queen Victoria sails out of the city. Flotilla of small boats welcome.

"CELEBRATIONS for Cunard's 175th anniversary are to be hit by planned rail strikes on Bank Holiday Monday.

Members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport Union have voted to walk-out for 24 hours from 5pm that afternoon, in a row over pay and conditions.

Black cab drivers are also poised to stage a demonstration in the city on the same day.

The move will cause chaos for thousands of people visiting Merseyside to watch all three Cunard flagship cruiser liners – the Queen Mary 2, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria – will appear together in the Mersey on Monday.

Merseyrail said it is putting together contingency plans following news of the strike..."copied from http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/12958203.Threat_to_Cunard_s_175th_anniversary_celebrations_on_Bank_Holiday_Monday_as_rail_workers_announce_strike/

Does anybody know if there will a live broadcast of the ceremony be done by BBC or another network?

I don't, but it would be nice. It has been mentioned in the UK press & The Liverpool Echo.

I don't, but it would be nice. It has been mentioned in the UK press & The Liverpool Echo.

I don't know either, but yes it would be nice :) If not, I'm sure we'll see some bits later showing on UTube.

Meanwhile, if interested, I did find the latest weather forecast for the weekend in Liverpool:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/three-queens-liverpool-2015-weather-9294925

Best bring your brolly.;)

Does anybody know if there will a live broadcast of the ceremony be done by BBC or another network?

No doubt there will be some live coverage on BBC local news throughout the day. I don't think you'll be able to pick that up in Germany though. You can watch the webcam here:

http://www.wirralcam.org/waterfront2.shtml

On Friday 29th May there is a half hour programme at 8pm on BBC1 North West: "One City - Last weekend's historic visits of three Cunard liners to Liverpool."

Thank you for your fast reply. I hope to watch the ceremony on the webcam, but I think it will be overcrowded. Tried watching BBC today which works for me using a proxy-server.

I wish all people aboard, ashore and worldwide a wonderful ceremony.

Edited by fg_hb

I don't know either, but yes it would be nice :) If not, I'm sure we'll see some bits later showing on UTube.

Meanwhile, if interested, I did find the latest weather forecast for the weekend in Liverpool:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/three-queens-liverpool-2015-weather-9294925

Best bring your brolly.;)

Yes, it's freezing here right now and Liverpool dockside is nearly always windy.

Dress for winter.

David

There's just been an article about it now on BBC local news with some old footage of Cunard in Liverpool.

Forecast is for rain then dry on Sunday and dry but cooler on Monday.

"Monday, May 25 will be an historic day when the Three Queens will meet for the very first time when they call at Liverpool.

Cunard's Three Queens – The Queen Mary 2, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria – will call at Liverpool to mark the 175th anniversary of the world famous cruise line and to salute Liverpool, its spiritual home, where the company began in 1840.

When the Three Queens meet, they will perform choreographed manoeuvres on the River Mersey.

The ships will perform a ‘river dance’ against the backdrop of Liverpool’s Three Graces, a world heritage site which includes the Cunard Building, the company’s headquarters from 1916-1967.

If you can't be there in person, why not book mark this page and watch the main event here on the day.

The live stream is due to start at 12:30pm." http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/watch-three-queens-live-liverpool-9299105

"CELEBRATIONS for Cunard's 175th anniversary are to be hit by planned rail strikes on Bank Holiday Monday.

Members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport Union have voted to walk-out for 24 hours from 5pm that afternoon, in a row over pay and conditions.

Black cab drivers are also poised to stage a demonstration in the city on the same day.

The move will cause chaos for thousands of people visiting Merseyside to watch all three Cunard flagship cruiser liners – the Queen Mary 2, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria – will appear together in the Mersey on Monday.

Merseyrail said it is putting together contingency plans following news of the strike..."copied from http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/12958203.Threat_to_Cunard_s_175th_anniversary_celebrations_on_Bank_Holiday_Monday_as_rail_workers_announce_strike/

The train strike has now been called off:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32832191