Wine drinkers - classic and premium - what wine is available

Welshinwales

We ran into this problem multiple times on our recent Silhouette cruise...after being told several times that there were was no Clifford Bay (sauvignon blanc) available (I paid for Premium alcohol package), I started telling them: I would like a glass of decent Sauvignon blanc...find one please....there are 5000 bottles in the dining room wine cellar. That was the end of the problem..they went and got me wine!

OH NO, they ran out of Clifford Bay! :eek:.

it is my go to wine, to drink during the day, especially after a shore excursion.

I like New Zealand Sauvignon blanc. Do not like the California ones. There is a difference.

Glad they found white wine for you that you liked.

We ran into this problem multiple times on our recent Silhouette cruise...after being told several times that there were was no Clifford Bay (sauvignon blanc) available (I paid for Premium alcohol package), I started telling them: I would like a glass of decent Sauvignon blanc...find one please....there are 5000 bottles in the dining room wine cellar. That was the end of the problem..they went and got me wine!

Maybe I will try and push for the same when I am on Silhouette. Although I don't plan on upgrading. I really don't think its unreasonable to expect at least 1 cabernet on the basic package.

Has anyone had success asking for a new sommelier? I know they work specific areas of the dining room. On CC, I had read that if you "cozy" up to the sommelier, they will try and help you. I didn't find that to be case. I also found that our sommelier knew very little (she honestly could not even pour a glass of wine properly). She wasn't interested in helping me, but she wasn't trying to upsell me either. She basically told me I would not find a cab on the premium either. I wonder if I should have asked for a higher up. I know they are limited by their selection, but like you state, they have a lot of wines displayed in that case!

We were on the reflection in Feb. There were only 1... maybe 2 options in the dining rooms for red wine by the glass between $9-13. There was maybe one more expensive selection. To be honest.... they were not that great. I sent one glass back in Tuscan Grill and the "Sommelier" got angry at me. I would us the term "Sommelier" loosely. They were not very knowledgeable, just pointed to the menu, and rarely refilled our glasses. My husband told me he will drink beer on on next cruise. It's just disappointing that you can find drinkable wines by the glass at most local restaurants in this price range. Why is it so hard on cruise ships? I wish the vinotec wines were included in the packages. I'd be happy to walk up and pour my own :-)

Edited by 81Zoomie

It's just disappointing that you can find drinkable wines by the glass at most local restaurants in this price range. Why is it so hard on cruise ships? I wish the vinotec wines were included in the packages. I'd be happy to walk up and pour my own :-)

Agree - it is disappointing that Celebrity cannot offer a reasonable selection of wine by the glass , even up to $13 per glass , and include this is their PREMIUM BEVERAGE PACKAGE . One or two mediocre offerings to passify the wine drinker does not make for a fine dining experience . Its a shame because this is so easily rectified - When I look at the list offered by Celebrity I dont think - Nice , now should I choose this or that to go with my starter - NO , I think,.......

penny-pinching ,mean, miserly, niggardly, parsimonious, close-fisted, Scroogelike Celebrity -- its a shame .

Does anyone know if in fact the "sommeliers" have any training or accreditation". Perhaps they are better referred to as wine stewards?

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-activities-wine-experience

200 Certified Sommeliers

Educate your palate. Tap into the knowledge of our certified Sommeliers, Servers and Cellar Masters located in every restaurant onboard. These respected wine experts are readily available to make suggestions and assist with your wine pairing questions. Every Sommelier completes a comprehensive certification program, and we’re proud to say we have one of the largest teams of Sommeliers in the world.

I use the Sommelier's extensively because I want to try new wines and expand on my "same old - same old" wines. They have been great every cruise.

Edited by Christine Frances

Hello,

I hear lots of talk about the different drinks packages available and what spirits and beer is included, I am curious to hear what wines are available in each package?

Many thanks

All of this information is available for you to read on the Celebrity web site. I have gone there and read it, you can too.

OH NO, they ran out of Clifford Bay! :eek:.

it is my go to wine, to drink during the day, especially after a shore excursion.

I like New Zealand Sauvignon blanc. Do not like the California ones. There is a difference.

Glad they found white wine for you that you liked.

Glad I'm not the only one partial to that wine! My sister was on the same cruise and we were both moaning and groaning about the lack of NZ wines! we both love them! :)

Maybe I will try and push for the same when I am on Silhouette. Although I don't plan on upgrading. I really don't think its unreasonable to expect at least 1 cabernet on the basic package.

Has anyone had success asking for a new sommelier? I know they work specific areas of the dining room. On CC, I had read that if you "cozy" up to the sommelier, they will try and help you. I didn't find that to be case. I also found that our sommelier knew very little (she honestly could not even pour a glass of wine properly). She wasn't interested in helping me, but she wasn't trying to upsell me either. She basically told me I would not find a cab on the premium either. I wonder if I should have asked for a higher up. I know they are limited by their selection, but like you state, they have a lot of wines displayed in that case!

Things have changed since 2011 when we were introduced to Celebrity. We had a real sommelier..these people are wine pourers, not sommeliers. Our original one had the tasting cup around her neck..she would come every dinner and ask what we had ordered for our main course, then tailor the wine to fit the meal...she introduced me to Sauvignon blanc...I had been stuck on dry rieslings for years. no more. the current crop mean well but they aren't sommeliers. Is it costs? (probably) so sad.

If you like the Clifford Bay SV try the NZ Matua SV (it's even better). Matua Pinot Noir is my absolute favorite, not outrageously expensive, just nice & smooth. We enjoyed Wendt cabs in March on Eclipse as well We had s great sommelier & even got a guided tour of the wine tower (what a blast)

Edited by awhfy

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-activities-wine-experience

200 Certified Sommeliers

Educate your palate. Tap into the knowledge of our certified Sommeliers, Servers and Cellar Masters located in every restaurant onboard. These respected wine experts are readily available to make suggestions and assist with your wine pairing questions. Every Sommelier completes a comprehensive certification program, and we’re proud to say we have one of the largest teams of Sommeliers in the world.

I use the Sommelier's extensively because I want to try new wines and expand on my "same old - same old" wines. They have been great every cruise.

You must be ordering bottles -- you would not need a sommelier to guide you through the choice of wine by the glass.:rolleyes:

All of this information is available for you to read on the Celebrity web site. I have gone there and read it, you can too.

I would appreciate you directing me to the list of wine included in the beverage packages on the Celebrity website.:confused:

I would appreciate you directing me to the list of wine included in the beverage packages on the Celebrity website.:confused:

Agree with Hammo... I don't see any list of which wines by the glass are included in the packages.

According to Celebrity's website, they have recent expanded their list of wines by the glass from 25 to 38. The website says many of them are inluded in the Classic and Premium Beverage package.

In my last cruise on Reflection, in which we had the Premium package, we never saw a wine list which inluded "by the glass" options either. Does such a list exist? Is it really on Celebrity's website?

It is difficult to answer this question because they fail to give you a list or menu after the first night! I upgraded, am not a wine snob but know what I like, and found the varieties lacking. I had never heard of the white brands. No Cavit, Bella Serra, Beringer Pino Grigio, etc. Although their brands were OK, the sommelier was lacking in her service often never returning to refill our glasses. If it weren't for my Martini's I too would never upgrade again.

We drank the Wente red by the glass the last couple of cruises with the classic package. It made for a good table wine type of glass, comparable with the quality of food we were served in the dining room. We liked it a good bit. When we went to Ocean Liners they upgraded us to a little better glass (still on the classic package) but I can't recall what it was.

We drank the Wente red by the glass the last couple of cruises with the classic package. It made for a good table wine type of glass, comparable with the quality of food we were served in the dining room. We liked it a good bit. When we went to Ocean Liners they upgraded us to a little better glass (still on the classic package) but I can't recall what it was.

After reviewing the Luminae list just posted in this thread, the Wente by the glass is no longer available.

Oh, then never mind. :o

No embarrassment on your end. Just another option that Celebrity no longer has available. We've had the Wente, too.

In spite of saying that there are 38 wine by the glass options, I only counted 33 on the list posted above. And quite a few (9) aren't included in either beverage package, without an additional charge. :(

Edited by Islander500

Is that new Luminae list that was just posted the same in all restaurants on all ships?

Thank you?

No -- you will not be offered that list in the Specialty Restaurants , where you will find the list even further depleted for wines by the glass that are available for your selection with their beautiful food..

In Murano you will find a couple of wines inside the Premium Package - an absolute bare minimum.You can of course up the anty and pay extra , or if you have the Classic package throw yourself at the mercy of the Wine Poorer - Freudian slip - Wine Pourer. :rolleyes: I once asked - please bring me the best chardonnay available from the Premium Beverage Package please. The waiter said he would have to go and retreive such a wine from another bar . 15mins later I received a glass of the Celebrity Brand Chardonnay . Woopey-Doo! Thank heavens I had the Premium Beverage Package.!:eek:

The official title is "Wine Pourers".

Like I said earlier, my Sommelier could not even pour wine properly. I find it hard to believe she's gone through an extensive certification program. I guess she was sick they day they covered "how to pour a glass of wine".

Not sure it will get me anywhere, but I will be a bit more demanding on our next cruise. Or maybe they will get their "wine act" all sorted out by then.

We read here weeks ago, that they've changed the vendor that supplies the molecular bar - I wonder if that group also had their hands in the wine offerings? Maybe we will see change!

I had a look at the links provided, and could not see any lists for the wines that were included on the classic package (unless people are looking at the classic wine package).

But "lists" don't really matter, because we've all had the experience that once you get on board - they won't have those wines available.

I think they should have at least one (lower end) of each varietal on the classic package and at least one (higher end) of each varietal on the premium package. And by that, I mean the major ones, not every conceivable varietal out there.

Hopefully celebrity is reading this thread and seeing our thoughts on their wine offerings.

Edited by Queen of Oakville

Compared to what is available in the spirit and beer ranges , the wines available by the glass list for both packages is ridculously limited , and disappointing in quality.

You will find very little in the classic package - a couple of token whites and reds - similar to those you find in the $10 price range on land.There is a sparkling wine .( I think a Prosecco ? or maybe the Celebrity House brand)

The Premium package now fares little better with several wines previously included now requiring an extra payment on top of the $ limit. Once again the selection is very limited and particularly ordinary when you associate the word Premium with the range. These wines run around $15 per bottle at home , not $15 per glass.

We do enjoy having the Chandon Bubbly included and fear each time we embark that it will also suffer the dreaded bracket creep and go the way of the DryCreek Zinfandel , Conundrum ,etc etc .( mind you these are not expensive wines ) You will find wines to match your dinners , but dont expect to ponder too hard over the choice, especially in the Specialty Restaurants. ( Unless you are prepared to pay more ).

You can ask for a wine you have seen on any onboard list , say in the MDR , that is not on the list offered (eg Murano , Qsine etc) and they will get it for you.You will need to know the name as our last waiter in Murano required the brand . In the end I just said bring me the best chardonnay included , so I got the Celebrity House wine. Somehow , I dont like that - I would like to see the complete list that should be available and not have to say , I dont want to pay any extra for the glass of Chardonnay you are suggesting that sadly is not included in my package .Instead , I will chose something from this wonderful range you have thoughtfully offered for my discerning perusal , and which will add immeasurably to this fine dining experience that I am paying extra for.

And , if I do care to pay a bit or a lot more then I can chose to do that also. After all , I'm not expecting Romanee Conti , the Kendall -Jackson will suffice.Thankyou .:rolleyes:

I really do think Celebrity can do better here.:cool:

Could not have put it any better. These are my thoughts exactly. If you are a wine drinker, the Classic package simply doesn't work, and the Premium package is sadly not premium.

Great thread! I couldn't agree more that the wine by the glass offerings for the packages is completely lacking. Our last cruise was in January on the Constellation and we upgraded to the premium package to get a better selection of red wines. I had read about the sommeliers working with you and offering things not on the list. Not so on our cruise. She provided poor service and did nothing for us. One night after sitting for 30 minutes with empty glasses I went out to cellarmasters and brought us the decent tempranillo they had that fit into the package. Boy did that both light a fire under her and piss her off at the same time. We found cellarmasters had a better list but still had to pay a buck or two upcharge to get the Benziger cab for instance. Just my two cents.