prices per day on average

I happen to be sorting papers and came across our cruise invoice. We travelled the week before you are hoping to so figured it might be helpful.

We booked in December 2014 for the February 15 cruise on the NAV in a D1. We are a family of 4.

We paid 2700$ including taxes/fees for all 4 and we had a 400$ OBC. The 3 and 4th passengers cost 500$ each plus taxes and I think were the reason we got some of the extra OBC from our TA. So - I would subtract 1000+150 (tax/fees) and reduce the OBC to 300$ to assess what the cost for 2 would be...basically brings it to 1550$ paid plus 300 OBC for 2 for the 7 night cruise....no complaints here...

IMHO, this is not a good way to look at cost per day. You really need to look at your total projected expenditures for the entire time away from home - door to door.

If you've ever thought about upgrading to a premium or luxury cruise line, you might shy away if the cost per day figure you were using was only "cabin cost." That cost on a premium or luxury line would be misleading in a comparison with mass market lines because of everything that's included in that "cabin" price, including all or some combination of airfare, specialty restaurants, beverages, alcohol, excursions, gratuities, internet and OBC (including TA OBC).

So, I suggest that you look at all of your projected expenses door to door and divide that by itinerary days for a true daily cost. Then, even if only for the science, compare what you find on mass market lines with, at least, a premium line like Oceania.

Lastly, when you look at whatever is the remaining daily difference, think about what any remaining extra cost on a premium or luxury line will NOT get you:

Incessant announcements, mediocre food, hordes of people, nickel/diming, bothersome photogs, art shows (the list goes on).

Bottom line: with the right itinerary and TA, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Great advice for comparing apples to apples, and I will remember it for the distant future. For now, I cruise with my young teen kids; so mass market it is. [emoji323]

Now, off to find that elusive $100pp/day fairy! [emoji256]

I find that searching using the few sites that offer pppd sorting helps find the deals.

can't name them but if you spend a few hours trying out as many cruise sites as you can you will find the onces that have good interfaces into searching.

Once you narrow down the cruises you can then go looking for the best deal for that cruise.

Rock bottom pricing if you can take an inside will be in the $25-$30pppd.

$30-$40 opens up a lot of options.

$50pppd get you on Celebrity.

Using one sites.

cheapest cruise is NCL star or Epic TA,

$399 for 11 days + tax at $66 grats $143.

goto a balcony $649 and get the grats paid.

inside $42pppd balcony $52

My other main site has the cheapest cruise at $12pppd and I have read this was as low as $8, taxes are I think $240 this is a 14n TA so makes it $30pppd but by all acounts this is also all inclusive.

We shall see when people review.

A couple of years back MSC were doing base fares of $15pppd on their TA and that was any cabin(even Solos).

I find that searching using the few sites that offer pppd sorting helps find the deals.

can't name them but if you spend a few hours trying out as many cruise sites as you can you will find the onces that have good interfaces into searching.

Once you narrow down the cruises you can then go looking for the best deal for that cruise.

Rock bottom pricing if you can take an inside will be in the $25-$30pppd.

$30-$40 opens up a lot of options.

$50pppd get you on Celebrity.

Using one sites.

cheapest cruise is NCL star or Epic TA,

$399 for 11 days + tax at $66 grats $143.

goto a balcony $649 and get the grats paid.

inside $42pppd balcony $52

My other main site has the cheapest cruise at $12pppd and I have read this was as low as $8, taxes are I think $240 this is a 14n TA so makes it $30pppd but by all acounts this is also all inclusive.

We shall see when people review.

A couple of years back MSC were doing base fares of $15pppd on their TA and that was any cabin(even Solos).

Are these [prices for real?

looking to book Independence of Seas TA next May, current pricing is around £1000 each that's approx. $1500 pp /13 =$115 each pp per night,

Should we wait , and wait before booking,

when is the best time to book a TA, the day before it leaves

yep real prices.

I was on Allure watch this year for 19th April 12n FLL->BCN

Low price was on 21st Feb for a balcony GTY $624+$67tax or £450 UK.

Diamond discount $150 or £100 on those.

so US was around £370 with discounts. which made the UK price nice.

inside went down to $399+ US but no deals UK.

Flight to Florida with RCI choice air or other discounter(BA or virgin direct) was £320-£350 or £520 return in Nov(to go with another TA cruise) flight from BCN->UK loads to choose from.

With RCI/Celebrity the low point seems to be around 8weeks but it will vary by a few weeks depending on sales and timings.

your May 1st Indi trip no GTY rates yet. and does not the UK prices come with drinks or something?

US price for a balcony (E2/E3) is $1150 inc $105 tax around £780pp

inside US about £600.

I would wait and keep an eye out for a deal. around Xmas/Jan/Feb time frame

Sometimes you can pick up a charter to Sanford(Thomson/Thomas Cook) cheaper but then have to get down to FLL/Miami.

There are loads of TA in April/May at least 1/2 will have balconies under £500 at some point.

Edited by insidecabin

Drinks package, think about what it's worth to you not what it costs to buy.

eg. for us we get diamond lounge and 3 drinks on the card so don't spend a lot extra but very convenient on a TA(sea days) to grab a cold beer at lunch or a late cocktail.

For us the cheaper cruise price and PAYG drinks can work out better value.

Looking at our OASIS 12n trip cruise was $1600(with tax+grats) on board spends $300 on the Credit Card total was £1120 so £560 each.

Flight back from US(Boston) was £215pp.

I only wish I could get it for $100/day for a balcony.

I have NEVER seen that on any cruise I have taken. I am "lucky" to get an inside room for $100/day.....and then, its only after looking for along for a "deal".

Not sure what I am missing here

I have NEVER seen that on any cruise I have taken. I am "lucky" to get an inside room for $100/day.....and then, its only after looking for along for a "deal".

Flexability,

search on price and see what drops out that you are interested in.

A lot of people search on date/cruise line/itinerary/cabin and won't find the deals.

I totally agree. I see people talking about all these 100.00 per person per day balconies and I have yet to ever see them. Especially on 7 night cruises. It really doesn't matter what month I look at.

Im in a Promenade in 4 days on Freedom for 1326.00 total including taxes and port charges. That comes to about 94.00 a day per person and I feel like that was a great deal.

I would definitely try a balcony for 100.00 pp per day. They don't seem to exist though.

Oasis, November 2015, 7-Day Eastern Caribbean, B2 Boardwalk Balcony #12725:

Total Fare w/out Gratuity, $1769.02

Total Daily Fare, $252.72

PP/PD, $126.36

Total Fare w/ Gratuity, $1937.02

Total Daily Fare, $276.72

PP/PD, $138.36

Total Fare w/ Gratuity and Premiere Drink Package, $2746.02

Total Daily Fare, $392.29

PP/PD, $196.14

This fare includes an EMT/FF discount, which for us was greater than the Virginia resident's discount.

Oasis, November 2015, 7-Day Eastern Caribbean, B2 Boardwalk Balcony #12725:

Total Fare w/out Gratuity, $1769.02

Total Daily Fare, $252.72

PP/PD, $126.36

Total Fare w/ Gratuity, $1937.02

Total Daily Fare, $276.72

PP/PD, $138.36

Total Fare w/ Gratuity and Premiere Drink Package, $2746.02

Total Daily Fare, $392.29

PP/PD, $196.14

This fare includes an EMT/FF discount, which for us was greater than the Virginia resident's discount.

Finally, someone who grasps the concept of price comparison!

Now, what I would add to this calculation is the projected costs of extra ship charges you expect to incur (e.g., 2-3 specialty restaurants and excursions) and airfare or other transport to/from ship at cruise start and finish. I mention these costs because some or all of them will be included on other lines you consider (mostly premium and luxury lines).

Finally, someone who grasps the concept of price comparison!

Now, what I would add to this calculation is the projected costs of extra ship charges you expect to incur (e.g., 2-3 specialty restaurants and excursions) and airfare or other transport to/from ship at cruise start and finish. I mention these costs because some or all of them will be included on other lines you consider (mostly premium and luxury lines).

Oh you're talking to the queen of details here. LOL. I keep an entire spreadsheet on plane fares (two one-way vs. round trip pricing, variety of airlines), airport parking, taxi/shuttle fees, hotel charges, trip insurance, travel day food, etc.

For our upcoming cruise, here's the budget:

Per Day Costs (Overall) which includes cruise fare, gratuities, drinks, flights, hotel, insurance: $3819.99

Miscellaneous Expenses which includes cabs/shuttles, parking, travel meals, cash tips, port spending: $495.00

TOTAL TRIP COST: $4314.99

Per Day: $616.43

Per Person / Per Day: $308.21

Oh you're talking to the queen of details here. LOL. I keep an entire spreadsheet on plane fares (two one-way vs. round trip pricing, variety of airlines), airport parking, taxi/shuttle fees, hotel charges, trip insurance, travel day food, etc.

For our upcoming cruise, here's the budget:

Per Day Costs (Overall) which includes cruise fare, gratuities, drinks, flights, hotel, insurance: $3819.99

Miscellaneous Expenses which includes cabs/shuttles, parking, travel meals, cash tips, port spending: $495.00

TOTAL TRIP COST: $4314.99

Per Day: $616.43

Per Person / Per Day: $308.21

Same here when it come to spreadsheets. Are yours multicolored like mine?

So many folks quit at the base cabin cost and don't realize what the add-ons really do to the daily price. This is one of the reasons why we prefer Oceania. The quantitative boon is the inclusive savings (e.g., airfare credit) while the qualitative difference justifies any net bottom line higher daily cost when compared to lines like Celebrity or Disney.

Don't know if it's available in your area but, take a look at checkbook.org for ratings of businesses and comparison costs, including regular newsletters on unpublished manufacturer rebates to car dealers.

Also, for hotels, check out Tingo.com, which is owned by Trip Advisor. Many of their hotel choices include "price drop protection" in which Tingo monitors price drops after initial booking and refunds you any difference once travel is completed.

We cruise balconies, we aren't picky where on the ship, we've seen all the Caribbean so we're flexible with itinerary, and we can do last minute cruises cause we're retired, and live in Florida, so we use the following,,,

Balcony less then $100 per person per day is good,

less then $90.pp, pd is very good,

less then $80.pp pd 'hurry up and call'!:D

Deals can be found if you're flexible.

We did a Carnival Glory B2B in 2014 Dec. balcony for approx. $75. per person per night. (before taxes and fees)

We did the MSC Divina for a B2B last year in a Balcony for approx. $57. per person, per day.(before taxes and fees)

Both cruises were great, and the deals made it even better.:D

So the deals are out there, you just got to be willing to look beyond RCL.:)

We are paying $138 a day (including taxes and pre-paid gratuities) for a 7 night FOS cruise at the end of November. Superior Ocean View Balcony room. Plus $200 onboard credit.

The rate is higher now than we booked though.

Edited by dreday3

try this one 7nights western caribbean

E3 balcony $644pp, total with tax(2 people) $1491 $106.50pppd.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/booking/getDepartureInfo/checkAvailability.do?sailDate=1170409&wuc=USA&hasSenior=&packageCode=LB07W204&shipCode=LB&StickToDomain=USA

Maybe thats my problem. I only look at cruises that leave out of Florida. Galveston is just too far of a drive. Almost 900 miles!

Thats a great deal for a Freedom class ship though!