Ephesus for people with mobility issues?

On the website for one the tour operators recommended on this site it says, "Ephesus has one mile of walking and the Terrace Houses have steps. Not recommended for people with physical disabilities."

I have never seen this mentioned on any of the Ephesus reviews. One of the people on our cruise has difficulty walking very far and another one has some difficulty with steps.

I'm just wondering if maybe we should spend our time somewhere else.

Any comments about the walking and steps for people who may have some difficulty?

Ephesus is very much not wheelchair accessible

it is an ancient ruins site and very uneven surfaces with lots of steps and requires a lot of walking

my husband who has walking difficulties managed it with aid of lots of rest stops however we read lots of reviews beforehand that described the terrain so knew would be a challenge

Some times pictures work better than words

Here is a typical path, though some are marble and slick. Notice the library in the distance it is all down hill to there, and it is steeper and further than it looks.

4693384094_11a0ef06fc_b.jpg[/url]

Here is an idea of the hill that you must go down

4692751421_7ec01d77f7_b.jpg

Steps in the Terrace houses. Notice how much above the people are in the back. The route is one way. You can see steps to the side

4693418532_055bddcbdc_b.jpg

Edited by zqvol

It's a very hard, long and ROCKY walk. The Terrace Houses are All Stairs (but Air Conditioned worth the price just for that). There is no where to sit and no shade.... If going during hot weather I would suggest an umbrella to block the heat and sun.

No wheel chair (even electric) that I can think of could navigate Ephesus!

But boy is this a site to NOT miss, amazing!

Edited by JVilleGal

I have limited mobility and visited Ephesus some years ago when I was more mobile. It is a very long walk over uneven ground. I would advise anybody with mobility issues not to go to Ephesus. Yes, the ruins are fantastic, but the visit would be spoilt if you had hardship walking. I would advise anybody not able to walk well not to go. In the summer months it is extremely hot and a hat needs to be worn and water carried.

I have limited mobility and visited Ephesus some years ago when I was more mobile. It is a very long walk over uneven ground. I would advise anybody with mobility issues not to go to Ephesus. Yes, the ruins are fantastic, but the visit would be spoilt if you had hardship walking. I would advise anybody not able to walk well not to go. In the summer months it is extremely hot and a hat needs to be worn and water carried.

I agree with this comment totally...it could have been me.I could do it now if I had a week to walk the walk:D

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I am very surprised at some of the responses....

I don't do any extra walking daily - just the normal life stuff and didn't find any of the walking or Terrace Houses difficult (I'm 61 and not in great shape). My cruise buddy has bad knees and is in her mid 60's and she simply skipped the Terrace Houses. There was an area to wait outside as mentioned but I don't think it offered any shade. We toured in mid October and it wasn't too hot - probably 75 degrees at most?

Perhaps there is a short tour that you can do and then move on to the other sites in the area? What time of year are you traveling?

Don't skip the Terrace Houses (extra fee to enter) they are really interesting and that complex is inside and air conditioned. A welcome relief from the intense sun and heat. Was there mid April and then again in early Sept both times the sun & heat brutal, an umbrella sounds crazy but it sure provided shade!