Sad Days... An open Letter.

Chuck2810

For the past six years I've enjoyed one of the liveliest, upbeat groups. NCL won us over and most of the folks on here. Yes, there were always the nickel and dime crew, the tip bunch, the worst-time-in-my-life hyperbole crew:rolleyes:, and such. But you could count on the NCL cheer-leading team to always bring the conversation back to what a great line it is overall and the positives far outweigh the isolated negatives.

It seems that changed recently. The majority of posts are angry, or apprehensive, or shocked at the changes in fees, services, just the 'dumbing down' of NCL.

I hope the NCL leadership team recognizes the power and voice that CC has been, and sees what a loss it would be to their business model if they shut the door on us. The economy continues its slide into malaise, driven by very poor governments and weak, ineffective leaders. And business is sure to also suffer as well, but losing your core base, can be irreparable. Now is not the time for contraction - it is the time to pull from the reserves and maintain the core. Hear me NCL?

Meh, prices go up. It's the basic truth of a capitalist society. NCL has decided to raise fees in other ways than base fares (which I understand and appreciate), so I'm not up in arms. This is the board where I learned about NCL positives and drawbacks - I'm sure once the dust has settled everyone will realize why they started sailing ncl to begin.

And for comparisons sake, I price out NCL vs every other major line (RCI, Carnival, X) for a trip 18 months from now. Everyone was in a very tight price point range ($5800) with NCL $400 lower ($5400). And that was with the Carnival customer service emphasizing their suite perks as priority embarkation and a whirlpool tub (whoop!). Throwing in the freebies from NCL, even if I spend the $400 on activities and fees/ extra tips, and maybe replace a towel or two (funny how DCL people throw that as a big deal in, as if it makes up for the extra $3K), I've still wound up ahead, and had a great experience.

Personally, I believe that NCL are just getting all the bad news out in one go.

We know they are after their extra $50 a head (or whatever it was), and this combined with the fact that many prices hadn't raised for a couple of years has resulted in the need to raise some prices. If they did it gradually then the bad news would keep on coming, so they are getting it out of the way now, in the hope that it is all forgotten in a few months time.

I could be wrong, of course, but it's a sensible business move if you have determined that prices need changing.

If I'm right then I see this place gradually getting happier over the coming few months, of course with regular grumbles as people cruise themselves.

As an aside, I'm board the Getaway now and, whilst I will say we haven't mixed with others too much, we've spent a reasonable amount of time in bars etc and have not overheard one word of complaint from others about the changes. I was expecting to hear a lot.

It is what it is. Choose to cruise with NCL or choose another line. We all have choices in our lives. Don't worry about the small stuff; or the stuff you have no control over. Enjoy life.

Cruising is a business plain and simple. Cruise Critic is a powerful forum but if NCL is filling the ships and cranking out more money in fees, tips, etc. I don't think they will blink an eye over anything written on Cruise Critic.

They put profit before people/customers. But that is what most other businesses do. The idea is to strike a balance between pleasing customers and luring them back and maximizing profits. Its too early to see if all these fee experiments will impact NCL decision making.

Personally, I believe that NCL are just getting all the bad news out in one go.

We know they are after their extra $50 a head (or whatever it was), and this combined with the fact that many prices hadn't raised for a couple of years has resulted in the need to raise some prices. If they did it gradually then the bad news would keep on coming, so they are getting it out of the way now, in the hope that it is all forgotten in a few months time.

I could be wrong, of course, but it's a sensible business move if you have determined that prices need changing.

If I'm right then I see this place gradually getting happier over the coming few months, of course with regular grumbles as people cruise themselves.

As an aside, I'm board the Getaway now and, whilst I will say we haven't mixed with others too much, we've spent a reasonable amount of time in bars etc and have not overheard one word of complaint from others about the changes. I was expecting to hear a lot.

I am on the Jewel right now and agree with you.

Keep in mind that for every recent "angry or shocked" poster that swears off NCL, there are many others like me who sit back, read the posts, understand the changes and will continue to sail NCL. They certainly have not lost a loyal customer in me. I'm paying the same base fare with them as I did 10 years ago.

Having joined CC in 2002, I have watched drama come and drama go this most recent hubbub over new charges has stunned me...the intensity and sheer nastiness on the part of some posters who are adamant about their views is appalling. The same posters are regurgitating the same comments on as many threads as they can, all in an effort to espouse their viewpoint. I refuse to reduce my DSC, I will tip my butler when he brings me room service if that is the policy when I sail and I will continue to enjoy the product that NCL sells me. We can all take our cruising $$ elsewhere if we are unhappy, and if you are past final payment date and feel trapped and unhappy, try to make the best of your shipboard time and don't waste it standing at GS to reduce tips, etc. It is what it is...it may turn out to be a short-term tempest. Who remembers last year when NCL wanted to "sell" suite perks for $99? We all know how that turned out don't we? Thanks Chuck2810 for posting a reasoned, measured thread...

A well known nickel & dime cruise line raised thier nickel & diming - And this surprised repeat customers and long-time cruisers how? Really, that's a shocker? I'm more shocked NCL didn't do more and much higher.....[emoji57]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Having joined CC in 2002, I have watched drama come and drama go this most recent hubbub over new charges has stunned me...the intensity and sheer nastiness on the part of some posters who are adamant about their views is appalling. The same posters are regurgitating the same comments on as many threads as they can, all in an effort to espouse their viewpoint. I refuse to reduce my DSC, I will tip my butler when he brings me room service if that is the policy when I sail and I will continue to enjoy the product that NCL sells me. We can all take our cruising $$ elsewhere if we are unhappy, and if you are past final payment date and feel trapped and unhappy, try to make the best of your shipboard time and don't waste it standing at GS to reduce tips, etc. It is what it is...it may turn out to be a short-term tempest. Who remembers last year when NCL wanted to "sell" suite perks for $99? We all know how that turned out don't we? Thanks Chuck2810 for posting a reasoned, measured thread...

Since we're airing our opinions here... What's really shocking are the posters who feel that their opinion is so unique and valuable as to warrant starting its own thread... let's remember that these OPs are part of the "problem" right now.

Edited by triptolemus

I don't begrudge their right to make a profit, and truth be told, I prefer a customizable, a la carte experience with a low base fare over a higher-priced, all-inclusive; I've done all-inclusive resorts in the past and always felt that I left money on the table. So, generally speaking, I have no problem with NCL changing and/or raising fees.

All I ask is that any such changes be presented in a timely and transparent manner so as to allow me to adjust if need be. And that's where I feel NCL has really missed the mark recently, and it undermines my confidence that the product I believe I am purchasing is the product I will actually receive. Had someone asked 2 weeks ago whether room service was included, I think everyone would have said "yes" and would have cited to the FAQ, etc., as evidence. Given that customer service was saying the same even after the new policy went into effect, it seems pretty clear that NCL was willing to allow its customers on the affected sailings to operate under a premise which it new to be false. And that's bogus, even if its permitted under the contract.

And what's worse is that its an unforced error. Certainly this policy was not on the back of a napkin the morning of the affected sailings and implemented that afternoon; there was some lead in. NCL has the capacity to send out emails relating to specific sailings, so they easily could have announced the new policy in advance to those customers, issued a press release, with whatever flowery spin they wanted, and gotten ahead of the story. People would have grumbled, but I think fewer would be as upset as they are. Instead, NCL allowed the narrative to run and came off looking shady.

We have a sailing booked for May of 2016, which (as of now) we plan on keeping as the fare was reasonable and the changes to fees are things that we can avoid or swallow. However, NCL's willingness to tinker with what is included with the fare without any advance warning is definitely something we have to keep an eye on.

An extra few bucs a day for DSC, or a small fee for room service won't make me stop cruising NCL, and I have to think/hope I'm in the majority. If paying, say $100 a cruise for the luxury of room service will break your bank, then don't order room service....I'd rather have it added there, in something I have control over paying, than have $100 added to my room rate, for something I never use.

If you want some snacks in you room right when you get up - visit the buffet the night before. Stock up on pretzel rolls, danishes, fruit, etc. Grab some cereal boxes and put a glass of milk in your mini fridge. Use the room coffee maker if you want to enjoy a cup of coffee on your balcony in your robe.

A vacation is what you make of it, you can't let a few extra charges completely ruin your whole trip - or your whole life and some posters seem to feel

Here's my opinion- NCL is an enjoyable cruiseline with some good qualities. I almost always recommended it because it was a great cruise at a fair price; a lower price point than most other lines. However, now that the prices have increased the way they have, I won't be automatically recommending it almost exclusively. If prices are all relatively the same across the major lines, then I don't think NCL is the best product. It isn't a stand- out at its new price points.

The new price model to me makes it one line I may occassionally recommend depending on particular dates and other factors. It won't be my immediate go-to anymore.

Edited by conandrob240

For the past six years I've enjoyed one of the liveliest, upbeat groups. NCL won us over and most of the folks on here. Yes, there were always the nickel and dime crew, the tip bunch, the worst-time-in-my-life hyperbole crew:rolleyes:, and such. But you could count on the NCL cheer-leading team to always bring the conversation back to what a great line it is overall and the positives far outweigh the isolated negatives.

It seems that changed recently. The majority of posts are angry, or apprehensive, or shocked at the changes in fees, services, just the 'dumbing down' of NCL.

I hope the NCL leadership team recognizes the power and voice that CC has been, and sees what a loss it would be to their business model if they shut the door on us. The economy continues its slide into malaise, driven by very poor governments and weak, ineffective leaders. And business is sure to also suffer as well, but losing your core base, can be irreparable. Now is not the time for contraction - it is the time to pull from the reserves and maintain the core. Hear me NCL?

Ah . . . the misinformed though that some how a minute % of NCL passengers who post on cruise critic can somehow influence corporate decisions.

The vast majority of the post complaining are by the same 10 -15 people. Most cruise passengers simply don't care about the changes, because they have little or no impact on them to begin with.

Very few people use room service, and most people have been tipping greater than 18% all along. A 3% raise in gratuities is nothing.

I applaud NCL for having the guts to get revenue up where it needs to be in a way that only impacts the people who are using the services that cost the most to provide.

A corporation's sole purpose is to maximize profits for the corporation's stock holders. Of course, to do that, providing a service or product that is in demand to be purchased is a necessity. NCL's stock is up about $20 in the past year. The ships seem to be selling well (some cabins for the cruises I've recently looked at almost a year out are already booked full). So, NCL must be doing something right. I don't have to like the increases or additional fees. However, I keep buying the product..and apparently so do many others. How far can NCL push it...realistically, as far as they can to maximize profits, right up until they finally see a resistance.....then back off a bit. That's how it works. Cruising is not a public service or non profit enterprise. But...as another said, you do have the choice of many other cruise competitors out there. If you can find a better offer, go for it. That's a market place at work.

Ah . . . the misinformed though that some how a minute % of NCL passengers who post on cruise critic can somehow influence corporate decisions.

The vast majority of the post complaining are by the same 10 -15 people. Most cruise passengers simply don't care about the changes, because they have little or no impact on them to begin with.

Very few people use room service, and most people have been tipping greater than 18% all along. A 3% raise in gratuities is nothing.

I applaud NCL for having the guts to get revenue up where it needs to be in a way that only impacts the people who are using the services that cost the most to provide.

You're right - The same 10-15 CC posters are not majority of NCL passengers, that why NCL was not listening compare to last time. The $99 had more different posters voicing against that than this tiime around, make a list comparing the 2 regarding which posters were for it vs. The against, snd one will realize why NCL didn't bother to listen to complaints this time.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

NCL stock is up. They have 4 new builds coming out. They're working on a new private island. Capturing a bigger market share and gaining more brand recognition year by year with a low promotion budget. Boy that sounds like a slide into malaise, poor government and weak ineffective leadership!

I doubt that NCL pays much attention to the CC boards. They probably pay more attention to their booking numbers and on board income numbers. If you all think you can do a better job maybe you should apply for a job at NCL corporate!

I totally agree. I am also in AWE of people who say AMEN to these price hikes and say things like " it is what it is". Yes, there are other cruising options but is always good to express your voice and discontent with slimy business practices, if not banks and companies such as these will always take advantage of their customers. You want to add fees? then let your patrons know ahead of time, in this social media era is very easy to let yours customers know what changes the company is going through. Just my humble opinion :D

Edited by qtaromar1970

Such a small percentage of people sailing NCL use this forum. Maybe a decent amount of people will use it for research (etc), but won't converse. Even less of the people who do talk on here are actually really angry about the 'changes'. A very very very small minority are in the "never cruising NCL again" category: but if they are that dramatic over something so small and insignificant then i would rather they didn't cruise NCL :D

My open letter to NCL would say something along the lines of:

"we aren't going to cancel our cruise because of a few % increase in this, that or the other. Keep it freestyle, keep the good deals coming, and keep going to good places with good ships, and we will keep coming :D"