Caribbean Menu- Do You like it or Not?

geocruiser

Do you like the new Caribbean menu  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new Caribbean menu

• Liked it.
    • Did not like it.
    • Like some of the dishes, but not all of it

Were on Regal earlier this month. Every day we looked at the menu and every day we decided to dine somewhere other than the MDR.

I did the same for formal night, only because the dishes offered were not the traditional formal night dishes. If the caribbean menu is still in effect on my next cruise, I see no need to pack any long pants or collared shirts (except my stash of Hawai'ian shirts, of course).

I did the same for formal night, only because the dishes offered were not the traditional formal night dishes. If the caribbean menu is still in effect on my next cruise, I see no need to pack any long pants or collared shirts (except my stash of Hawai'ian shirts, of course).

Just curious, what were the dishes offered on formal night?

There were 3 seafood dishes, a filet and one duck dish. What they were exactly, I don't recall.

Was that maybe the 50th Anniversary dinner? They do that on all the ships, not just the Caribbean cruises. I agree that that menu is not their best.

Just off of 20 days on the Royal.....sorry not to see any Spring Rolls or French Onion soup.....even the meat loaf is gone from the last night's menu:)

Enjoyed some of the "regional" dishes.

Tons of choice in the Horizon Court....and it is very international these days with many Asian choices.

While there were a couple of things we didn't care for (one of the roti wraps was way too spicy for me and the Bahamaian fish stew with its missing Johnnycake was not worthwhile), in general we very much enjoyed the new offerings. I would try at least one new item every night just to mix up the same old-same old Princess menu.

You can't avoid it by going to the buffet one night...there are Caribbean menu items every night. Of course, most of the standards are still there, too, which is what puzzles me about all the complaints. I wouldn't eat lamb or (generally) veal or pork on a dare, but don't mind them being on the menu as long as there is at least one thing I do like (and salmon and chicken are always options).

Can you please tell me what Johnnycakes are?

From Google......

john·ny·cake

noun

plural noun: johnny cakes

1. 1.
    North American
    a flat cornmeal cake typically baked or fried on a griddle.

2. 2.
    Australian/New Zealand
    a small, thin unleavened wheat loaf baked in wood ashes.

Johnnycake[edit]

The earliest attestation of the term "johnny cake" is from 1739 (in South Carolina); the spelling "journey cake" is only attested from 1775 (on the Gulf coast), but may be the earlier form.[6][7]

The word is likely based on the word "Jonakin," recorded in New England in 1765, itself derived from the word "jannock," recorded in Northern England in the sixteenth century.[8] According to Edward Ellis Morris, the term was the name given "...by the [American] negroes to a cake made of Indian corn (maize)."[9]

Another suggested derivation is that it comes from Shawnee cake although some writers disagree.[10][11]

Edited by Colo Cruiser

My Mother used to make them.

What she called "Johnny cakes" ..

Cornbread pone mixture. Corn pone has no sugar. She would take cornmeal, some flour, salt, an egg, milk or water...depending on the family finances....beat it about 50 strokes and then...............pour about the amount you would pour for a pancake into a heated cast iron skillet that had been greased with bacon drippings. Fry quickly, flip it, and then keep warm in the oven until she had a plate.

We ate it with butter, syrup or molasses. Good. It is also called Hocake in some places.

And when you do that with cake batter........and pour ribbons into a greased with butter skillet...and keep laying batter down on cooked batter......very fast..almost impossible to do..............you have a funnel cake. The circles keep getting smaller. That is dusted with confectioner's sugar and then eaten. Sometimes frosted. They are delicious . when eaten fresh.

They are hard to make.

Edited by AmberTeka

From Google......

john·ny·cake

noun

plural noun: johnny cakes

1. 1.
    North American
    a flat cornmeal cake typically baked or fried on a griddle.

2. 2.
    Australian/New Zealand
    a small, thin unleavened wheat loaf baked in wood ashes.

Johnnycake[edit]

The earliest attestation of the term "johnny cake" is from 1739 (in South Carolina); the spelling "journey cake" is only attested from 1775 (on the Gulf coast), but may be the earlier form.[6][7]

The word is likely based on the word "Jonakin," recorded in New England in 1765, itself derived from the word "jannock," recorded in Northern England in the sixteenth century.[8] According to Edward Ellis Morris, the term was the name given "...by the [American] negroes to a cake made of Indian corn (maize)."[9]

Another suggested derivation is that it comes from Shawnee cake although some writers disagree.[10][11]

Another is that it is a distortion of The English Language as spoken in 1600-1700's. The Scotch Irish, who were removed to the USA in Penal ships by the British, and then forced to work for seven years to "pay for their passage" dominated the forced labor groups in the colonies until after the USA Revolution. The Transportation Act of 1714...a move towards the American Revolution were demands to king George that he quit sending Penal Ships to the Colonies. He refused. The first penal ship to Australia did not sail until 1792. When the American Revolution had been won.

When Washington fought at Valley Forge, in the darkest of times, he requested that he be surrounded with Scotch Irish fighters for they hated the British so much, he knew they would fight to the death. They won.

After the REvolution..many followed Boone to Kentucky. Then through the Cumberland Gap. Most fought for Andrew Jackson in the War of 1812. They were given land in Tennessee. North Carolina. North Alabama. North Georgia. And what became West Virginia. Hilly, mountain land. And most of those people climbed up a mountain and stayed there until the Second World War. They are also called Appalachian People.

A lot of Old, old customs and food choices still live in their eating choices. Like Polk Salad. And Triffles. Which are called "puddings" but are layered cookies or or bits of cake between a vanilla or chocolate pudding..topped with meringue.

Slaveru did not become a major work force in the USA until after the Revolution. Indentured servants were free and no one kept up with them. Slaves cost a lot. In Georgia it was a law that a black slave could not work on a Roof. they could get hurt. Indentured servants did that.

Also...Slave owning was contentious. Disliked by most. A Black Slave owner..an immigrant from North Africa.went to court and said he owned slaves..it was custom in his land and the court ruled in his favor.He was also a monster who mistreated them. After that it grew.ONLY the very rich owned slaves. One slave cost over a year's earnings for most people and most people..like the Scotch Irish who were Calvinists....In the eyes of God all Men are equal.........never bought into ti and could not have afforded it if they did.

Slave Owners were the ONE PERCENTERS of their time. And just as selfish.

Thank you all for the info on Johnny cakes. I had (what I now think) were Johnny cakes) They were about five inch round and about 1/2 thick, like a corn bread. My mom would buy them 4 or 6 to a box (wrapped like English muffins). We would put them in the toaster and then put butter on them.

Sorry to every one for going off topic.

Edited by geocruiser

Thank you all for the info on Johnny cakes. I had (what I now think) were Johnny cakes) They were about five inch round and about 1/2 thick, like a corn bread. My mom would buy them 4 or 6 to a box (wrapped like English muffins). We would put them in the toaster and then put butter on them.

Sorry to every one for going off topic.

well, food is the topic so............would it not be adventuresome for a menu to come out that featured some of the historical dishes of the USA and Canada. Like in a Bicentennial year. That would be regional.

I once had Shoo Fly Pie in Pennsylvania. I have never tasted anything like it, and it was delicious.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the Caribbean menu. Really liked the butterflied shrimp starter, chiicarones starter, seafood skewer, and the roti wraps. I will say having the roti wraps available lunch and dinner was a bit too much.

Still had lots of traditional items to enjoy - prime rib, french onion soup,surf and turf, duck ala orange, diver scallops, trilogy of lamb, veal, and chicken, beef Wellington, pheasant, lobster, escargots, and New York strip steak. Lasttday on the buffet, fried shrimp was great. Also the 50th anniversary pizza was bbq chicken, very good.

Two menus had almost no Caribbean items, the 50th anniversary and Italian night. We really enjoyed both nights, incuding the malabar tenderloin and the Barolo roast.

JMHO

Edited by happy cruzer

We got off Regal Princess on April 12 and after looking at the MDR menu ate 3 nights in Alfredos, one night in the Buffet and one night in Crown. Only ate in MDR first night and the last night because the cake my grandson made at the Jr. Chef class was to be delivered to our table. We hated the new menus which had too many Carribbean items in the entree category each and every night.

Jackie

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Edited by SOLIVITA LADY

When Regal switches to Canada/NE sailings can we expect the menu to have less Caribbean entries ;)???????

Not a fan of highly spiced food...just does not agree with me. Look forward to eating in the MDR since we usually eat in the buffet for breakfast and lunch.

MARAPRINCE

When Regal switches to Canada/NE sailings can we expect the menu to have less Caribbean entries ;)???????

Not a fan of highly spiced food...just does not agree with me. Look forward to eating in the MDR since we usually eat in the buffet for breakfast and lunch.

MARAPRINCE

Since the menu is supposed to be "regional," I would expect the Caribbean stuff to disappear. Even if it doesn't, there are still many other choices available. One of my mainstays is the Always Available chicken which I like very much. It's not spicy at all.

• 4 weeks later...
Ok, confused here. Is the Caribbean menu on all the ships? The Caribbean Princess? Or just offered on the ships on Caribbean itineraries?

I believe it's offered on cruises sailing the Caribbean. Therefore it will change when the ship repositions.

On the Regal in the fall and for myself looking forward to trying new items. My husband is a different matter he isn't a fan of spicy foods.

I travel to experience new things and food is at the top of my list so this sounds like a fun trip. I like to order what I don't make at home even in when we go out on land.

And as I've said before and will say again. I have never gone hungry on a cruise.

I looked over the menus for a 7-day Caribbean cruise. Not looking forward to most of the selections. Looks like Specialty Dining, Alfredo's, the Horizon, etc. on many nights.

Anyone have a photo of the Caribbean Shrimp Cocktail? Would like to see how it is presented.