Gratuities - To Prepay or Not to Prepay?

lisakay927

I'm not new to cruising but am interested in some of your thoughts on this particular subject. In the past, I have taken advantage of prepaying the gratuities; however, not sure if this is the best option. Yes, it's convenient but what if you're not happy with the service/treatment you received upon departure? I don't think you can get a gratuity refund. :p Ha Ha Ha. Not that I would ask for my money back; just trying to make a point. I'm sure there are a plethora of opinions out there so please share. :)

I'm not new to cruising but am interested in some of your thoughts on this particular subject. In the past, I have taken advantage of prepaying the gratuities; however, not sure if this is the best option. Yes, it's convenient but what if you're not happy with the service/treatment you received upon departure? I don't think you can get a gratuity refund. :p Ha Ha Ha. Not that I would ask for my money back; just trying to make a point. I'm sure there are a plethora of opinions out there so please share. :)

Yes, typically, you can request for a gratuity to be removed. On some cruiselines, you may have to explain why. On others, not so much.

I prefer prepaying because then I don't have to worry about budgeting for it at the end of the cruise. We've never had to remove any gratuities on any of our cruises.

The answer on getting a refund on pre-paid varies it seems from line to line.

However have you ever had service so bad that you have wanted to remove it?

I have had service that I thought wasn't as good as at other times, but no so bad that I thought all tips should be removed, just no additional.

AND I am not a fan of tipping at all.

I might add that the two worst examples of treatment I have ever experienced were from crew in non-tipping positions.

On one cruise my wife had a minor slip and fall that required some minor medical attention, she was asked to make a written report of what had happened, no problems, until we were rude enough to ask for a copy of the report [i presume that fell under the auspice of guest services].

Another time I was hit in the back by a security guard when he was wanding me down with the metal detector, this caused me to collapse as I have a serious back condition, and 2 days in bed, the Head of Security made it clear that his only concern was any repercussions, not my well being.

I always pre-pay. Saves the worry of budgeting for it at the end. I wish people were paid a living wage so that tipping would be unnecessary, but it's a part of the world and so I do it- as I should.

I have never had service so bad I would ever consider removing the tips. Usually I end up giving MORE tip. It is a little crazy how little you have to prepay and how it is divided up. What we prepay in tips is far less than I would ever consider tipping on land. I would be embarrassed to tip that little on land. If I don't have enough money to pay for something in an industry where tips are expected, I don't have enough money to do whatever that is. To me, tips are part of what I budget.

Anyhow, I like the pre-pay system. If the service is bad enough for ME not to tip, I can assure you someone with say so had made note of the attendant's lack of service. I am quite low maintenance, so someone would have to be outright deliberately horrible for me to complain.

Since the tips are divided among so many hard-working people, I just could never bring myself to remove all or part of the money because of a bad experience with one or two people. We never know what people (crew or otherwise, on a ship or on land) are going through, so I tell myself "I'm on a cruise -- how bad can life be?!" :)

I'm a big fan of pre-paying as much as possible. A lot of times I begin my cruise with enough of a credit on my cruise folio that it pays for all of the charges for the cruise. I often send myself $500-750 to start my cruise.

I like pre-paying. It's just so much easier and probably more fair to staff we may not always see. I've never had service so bad that I'd consider removing the tips.

We usually tip at least our room steward extra. If service is just average, or below, then no extra tips.

I used to hate going around with the little envelopes of money on the last night--so awkward.

With most lines there are now three options.

Pre-Tipping, where you pay at the same time as you make your payment for the cruise Great fot those who are budget conscious who want little bill shock at the end of the cruise and usually mandatory for those on Select or any Time, or My Time Dining, some lines won't let you remove these or ahve them refunded

Auto-Tipping where the tips are added to your account each day and you pay when you settle your account Great for those with OBC to use up, or want to remove them or reduce them

Tip in cash, remove the auto-tips and hand out cash Some just prefer the old fashioned way. [i don't mean old fashioned in a bad way].