Two cruises with land trip in between

eel

We are flying to the east coast for a cruise (from Tucson). Then we are spending about a month on the east coast travelling by land and mostly staying with friends and family. Then we are taking another cruise. Then we fly home.

I bought insurance through insuremytrip for the first cruise. When I called later to add insurance for the second cruise, they told me I had to ensure the entire trip from the moment we leave our house until we return home. This was very expensive to modify the policy! We don't need insurance between cruises - just for the time we are out of the US.

Does this make sense? Has anyone run into this before? Any suggestions? We have been good insuremytrip customers and I think we are getting the shaft.

This is what I have been told too. We have had some land based trips followed by a cruise. Or even the other way around. I don't need insurance for the land part as I mainly only wanted medical. When I asked about insurance I was told have to be from when we departed home to when we returned. I know of no way around this. Perhaps buy medical only if that is all you need. It would be cheaper.

Edited by dioxide45

Makes very much sense.

You are taking 1 trip and (if you are seeking coverage on your cruises for pre-existing conditions or cancel for any reason) then you must cover your entire trip.

If nothing else, drop the 3rd party insurance and go with the cruise lines insurance

Well we will agree to disagree about it making sense. I will mostly be visiting in the US and I need no coverage then. I only need coverage for the cruise. I am staying at private residences. How is that different from being home?

I will mostly be visiting in the US and I need no coverage then. I only need coverage for the cruise. I am staying at private residences. How is that different from being home?

Without your primary physician(s) at hand, you may have to seek care in an emergency room under circumstances that your own health insurance does not deem an emergency and thus will not cover. Or you would have to take the time to research and find a physician in a strange city on your insurance's provider list. A travel medical policy would fill such gaps that can and will come up even though you are not leaving the country.

And should you become seriously ill on the land portion between cruises: if you decide to cancel the second cruise the travel insurance would reimburse you for the cost of returning home--but if you skipped the insurance and decided to try to continue and have to see the ship's doctor (or heaven forbid be medically disembarked) there certainly will be resistance from the insurer for a claim resulting from a condition that manifested during the discontinuous coverage period between cruises.

Edited by fishywood

I will mostly be visiting in the US and I need no coverage then. QUOTE]

What coverage won't you need?

If you get ill and need major hospitalization, you'll get care and treatment. If you stroke out or are in a coma, your health insurance is not going to pay to fly you back home so you can receive treatment closer to home.

If you do need long term care, is your wife just going to mooch off family and friends the whole time? Or would she stay in a hotel part of the time?

If you die, your insurance isn't going to pay to repatriate your remains.

Not sure who your insurance provider is but mine would only pay Out of Network expenses. My "Network" is not USA wide. My out of pocket expenses could be huge.

These are just a few reasons why I consider Travel Insurance even if I'm just fly or driving across the country for a week or so.

My BIL was killed in a motorcycle accident. SIL had to have his remains cremated in the State he was killed in just so she could afford to bring his remains back for a memorial.

If I was flying to visit my sister, I would NEVER take out trip insurance. I self insure all those risks you described.

Only when I am out of the USA do I want extra insurance. That is the excess risk I want to insure.

Like I said, agree to disagree...

I will mostly be visiting in the US and I need no coverage then. QUOTE]

What coverage won't you need?

If you get ill and need major hospitalization, you'll get care and treatment. If you stroke out or are in a coma, your health insurance is not going to pay to fly you back home so you can receive treatment closer to home.

If you do need long term care, is your wife just going to mooch off family and friends the whole time? Or would she stay in a hotel part of the time?

If you die, your insurance isn't going to pay to repatriate your remains.

Not sure who your insurance provider is but mine would only pay Out of Network expenses. My "Network" is not USA wide. My out of pocket expenses could be huge.

These are just a few reasons why I consider Travel Insurance even if I'm just fly or driving across the country for a week or so.

My BIL was killed in a motorcycle accident. SIL had to have his remains cremated in the State he was killed in just so she could afford to bring his remains back for a memorial.

After additional research I found out that there are three carriers that provide "trip within a trip" coverage. They are Roam Right, iTravel Insured and Trawlick International. I have used Roam Right before. The only requirement is that it is purchased before you leave home.

Interesting because the folks at Squaremouth were very helpful and gave me this info while InsureMyTrip either didn't know or did not want to tell me.

We are flying to the east coast for a cruise (from Tucson). Then we are spending about a month on the east coast travelling by land and mostly staying with friends and family. Then we are taking another cruise. Then we fly home.

I bought insurance through insuremytrip for the first cruise. When I called later to add insurance for the second cruise, they told me I had to ensure the entire trip from the moment we leave our house until we return home. This was very expensive to modify the policy! We don't need insurance between cruises - just for the time we are out of the US.

Does this make sense? Has anyone run into this before? Any suggestions? We have been good insuremytrip customers and I think we are getting the shaft.

It would make perfect sense if the between period was out of country. Makes less sense if the between period is in country. Did you make it clear to the InsureMyTrip people that your between trip period was within the US and that your personal insurance policy covered you for that period?

DON

It would make perfect sense if the between period was out of country. Makes less sense if the between period is in country. Did you make it clear to the InsureMyTrip people that your between trip period was within the US and that your personal insurance policy covered you for that period?

DON

Yes, it was crystal clear that my in between period was in the US. Squaremouth understood and set me up with a valid "trip within a trip" policy via Roam Right. My original policy I bought for the first cruise from Insure My Trip was also via Roam Right (coincidence) so it is also valid. Everything is good now!

• 1 month later...

We took three cruises this winter out of Ft. Lauderdale, with short stays on land in between.

Did not need insurance while in Florida, so we simply purchased a separate policy for each cruise.

Purchased all three within about 10 minutes on insuremytrip.

It helped that we have frequently bought travel insurance this way and knew which policy/company we wanted.

Lady Chew,

The point being that if you did not return HOME between trips, your second and third individual policies likely would not have covered you in the event of a mishap. Many people make the same mistake, only to discover their error after it is too late. Consider yourself lucky that you now know better than to do this again without specifically checking the policy.

We took three cruises this winter out of Ft. Lauderdale, with short stays on land in between.

Did not need insurance while in Florida, so we simply purchased a separate policy for each cruise.

T]

It might have been cheaper to purchase an annual policy? Did you check on that?

DON

I dare say you're already on top of this, but just in case: make sure your home insurance covers your home for being away for so long. Mine, for example, has a maximum 45 days away, and if I'm away for longer I need to make special arrangements. (In my case, someone coming in twice a week to move the post from the door, check the place hasn't caught fire or flooded, etc.)

That's a UK policy, but it may be the same for you.

Thank you, we have excellent coverage for domestic trips and don't need to purchase additional policies while we're on land ...

Don, I did a little bit of looking into annual policies, but didn't get very far ... can you point me in a general direction? I'd like to know a little more about this type of coverage ...

Thank you, we have excellent coverage for domestic trips and don't need to purchase additional policies while we're on land ...

Don, I did a little bit of looking into annual policies, but didn't get very far ... can you point me in a general direction? I'd like to know a little more about this type of coverage ...

Call InsureMyTrip. We pay about $500 per year (costs us a bit more because of our ages) for the 2 of us for all trips for a full calendar year. I should point out that we insure for medical and evacuation only with very high limits. We self insure for everything else.

DON

THANK YOU!!

That's how we insure, too.

I didn't see anything on InsureMyTrip about annual policies, but I'll have to look a little harder ... and I will do so later today!

Look for Medical Multi Trip policies instead of the usual Comprehensive when getting a quote. GeoBlue Trekker Choice, HCC Atlas Multi-Trip, Insure Assist TripMed Multi Trip, IMG Patriot Multitrip International are examples. Do note the requirement that you must have other primary medical coverage, there are trip length limits and annual payout limits. Typical plans run about $300-$400 for a couple.

Edited by cherylandtk