Bringing wine to the MDR

Just an FYI

We sailed Oasis on 3/21 and brought 2 bottles of wine per cabin as we were informed we would be allowed.

Security was fine with it. We had the bottles in our carry on bag and after going through the machine they moved the bag over and inspected it and let the wine go through.

But when we brought it to the MDR, our waiter said he could not serve it to us. That there would be a corkage fee. (He didn't tell us what the fee would be. He had no interest in serving it.) We carried it back to the room.

The second night, the head waiter came to our table and told us that we could indeed bring our wine to MDR with no fee and apologized for the confusion. I thought it was nice that our waiter or the head waiter had followed through and corrected the matter without us even asking them to.

So we brought the bottles back the third night and enjoyed them with dinner the rest of the cruise. Just thought others would like to know there may be confusion, but the actual policy of 2 bottles per cabin nd no corkage fee is correct.

I can understand the confusion for a few weeks after the policy is implemented but almost 6 months after is a bit ridiculous. I wonder if this was a crew member who was on vacation for the past several months and had just returned to the ship and wasn't up to speed on all the changes.

Do you get the wine back at the end of the meal and just bring it back the next day? and do they actually serve you or can you just keep it on your table and pour yourself?

Never had brought wine before, but with drink prices I think I may.

Do you get the wine back at the end of the meal and just bring it back the next day? and do they actually serve you or can you just keep it on your table and pour yourself?

You can take it back to your cabin or they will hold it for you for the next time you go back to MDR.:)

It's your choice, you can take the wine with you, or have the dining staff save it for you.

They served us and it was kept in a stand nearby with other tables' wine too. We brought all white wines and they chilled them ahead of time. It was very nice.

so you can bring wine on board, can you pick it up at the ports and bring it on? we will not be able to get to a store to pick it up before our cruise so wondering about this.

tia

No, it is only allowed to be brought on st the point of embarkation. Any alcohol purchased in ports will be held by RCI and returned to you on the last night of the cruise.

You can take it back to your cabin or they will hold it for you for the next time you go back to MDR.:)
Take your wine with you,never leave your open wine bottles for the next time.It is unfortunate for me to say but,the wait staff will help themselves to any open bottles left open from all the dinners.If there should be leftover wine or beer glasses on the table the crew has been known too collect and mix it all together for themselves.There have been many occasions that we have caught the wait staff off in a corner where they store all the leftover wine helping themselves.You have to realize that many of the workers are young kids.We have heard about this and have seen it for ourselves.My advise would be to either finish your wine or take it with you.

Take your wine with you,never leave your open wine bottles for the next time.It is unfortunate for me to say but,the wait staff will help themselves to any open bottles left open from all the dinners.If there should be leftover wine or beer glasses on the table the crew has been known too collect and mix it all together for themselves.There have been many occasions that we have caught the wait staff off in a corner where they store all the leftover wine helping themselves.You have to realize that many of the workers are young kids.We have heard about this and have seen it for ourselves.My advise would be to either finish your wine or take it with you.

:eek: Wow.. didn't think this could happen. We never bring our bottle to the dining room.. we pour a glass in our cabin and just carry the glass to the dining room to enjoy with dinner. Of course, this only works if one glass is enough with dinner.. ;)

Conversely, I have never had any problems of this kind. DH is not a drinker so I almost always have 1/2 bottle left and the waitstaff brings it out for me the next night.

27 cruises (20 with RCCL) and we have always left wine for the next night with zero problem. Any waiter caught taking wine would likely be fired. I never worry about it. When you caught them doing it did you bring it to anyone's attention?

Edited by papaflamingo

27 cruises (20 with RCCL) and we have always left wine for the next night with zero problem. Any waiter caught taking wine would likely be fired. I never worry about it. When you caught them doing it did you bring it to anyone's attention?

Same here. Always leave wine, usually a red and a white. It was always there waiting for us the next evening.

This......Saves on the corkage fee.

:eek: Wow.. didn't think this could happen. We never bring our bottle to the dining room.. we pour a glass in our cabin and just carry the glass to the dining room to enjoy with dinner. Of course, this only works if one glass is enough with dinner.. ;)

Take your wine with you,never leave your open wine bottles for the next time....My advise would be to either finish your wine or take it with you.

We have left wine before with no problems, but one time on the following night, we received someone else's bottle. I told the server it was not our bottle, but he insisted it was. I said, no, I had this brand, and this is x brand. He finally checked again and brought us the correct bottle.

It's easy enough to just take the bottle when you leave. Or drink it! If I knew we would only be drinking a glass each I'd probably just bring a mixed drink from the lounge or pour a glass before I left my room.

Edited by marci22