Norwegian Coffee FAQ's Answered!

I will just say, coming from Celebrity cruises, on our first NCL cruise recently on Getaway, OMG was the coffee in Taste and Savor strong in the mornings!! I'd add a cream container and it would turn, not cafe au lait colored, but a deep dark chocolate brown from the original inky blackness. One cup was all I needed! I drink 2 1/2 cups in the morning at home and made the mistake of drinking same on the first day.....lesson quickly learned!!

I know that 'regular' specialty coffee is not included in the UBP...but are specialty coffees with alcohol included in the UBP?
For some people yes, for others no. In the early days of the UBP, I asked and got refused several times, so I haven't bothered asking on our last couple cruises, but you never know until you ask.

Another question about the UBP and coffee- does the UBP include ANY of the Java bar coffees? We like the Americanos and iced coffee, and don't bother with any of the frappa/cappa/cino-whatevers.

When I read the NCL site description of UBP, it states that it excludes "select Lavazza coffee beverages". What exactly does "select" mean?!

When I read the NCL site description of UBP, it states that it excludes "select Lavazza coffee beverages". What exactly does "select" mean?!

In this case, it means "all". In other cases, like when they say such-and-such crazy low price and great perks are available on "select sailings", it means "none" :D

• 4 months later...

I got back from the Breakaway on 2/28 and I loved having the little machine in the balcony cabin and I thought it made a great cup of coffee.

does anyone know the brand? it was 3 letters I think, like RTK or GRK?

BTW- I also LOVED the Breakaway!:)

TIA-

I am so happy to have found this thread in time to order these:

http://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Pod-Replacement-Filters-Brewers/dp/B00A89FSTQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1445642244&sr=8-5&keywords=coffee+pods+hamilton+beach

Now I can take my own coffee pods filled with my coffee from home.

So excited!

Me too....my hubby can have his Starbucks French Roast while viewing the glaciers! Thanks for sharing!

This past weekend, I posted a comment saying NCL coffee was undrinkable. Many people responded, about half were pretty nasty responses. It appears THE HOST must have pulled the thread. And now this 2015 thread appears. Could one thread have been replaced with another?

Yes, the in room machine is fine if you are a OV or higher cabin category. Yes, the pressed coffee is great, and the other specialities have good coffee.

But forget trying to get a good or even mediocre cup of coffee in the buffet or MDR.......not just my opinion, but that of several others in my group.

Coffee tastes vary. What I consider perfect coffee is weak to others. What they consider to be perfect is like Army field coffee to my palate.

Remembering that...and that NCL can't please 100% of the people at any given time will keep things in perspective.

That said, I found the OP info very helpful. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Another question about the UBP and coffee- does the UBP include ANY of the Java bar coffees? We like the Americanos and iced coffee, and don't bother with any of the frappa/cappa/cino-whatevers.

It includes the coffees that are made with alcohol from the coffee bar, just not anything without alcohol. Totally nonsensical IMO...

We enjoyed our coffee machine in the 2 bedroom penthouse suite on the NCL Jade. Here is a video I made featuring the coffee machine in our cabin.

NCL is getting rid of Lavazza machines, Gem already had them replaced to Nespresso ones during her drydock.

• 3 months later...

Anybody know if you can bring a carton of real cream on board to keep in your fridge? Half and half is not what we would usually use and prefer heavy cream, but it is always so difficult to get on cruises, even at the Java Cafe.

If this is not allowed, are there any tinned creams in US grocery stores? (no sugar). Thanks for any help.

I would imagine that a carton of cream would be fine to bring onboard, but it may be difficult to procure depending on your embarkation port. If I recall, the only liquid that you cannot bring aboard is hard liqour.

Anybody know if you can bring a carton of real cream on board to keep in your fridge? Half and half is not what we would usually use and prefer heavy cream, but it is always so difficult to get on cruises, even at the Java Cafe.

If this is not allowed, are there any tinned creams in US grocery stores? (no sugar). Thanks for any help.

Thanks to you both. We'll be staying pre-cruise in Ft.Lauderdale, so I can check the Publix nearby for either fresh or tinned. I would guess that people with babies have to bring formula or something with them but that would be tins as well, so just not sure about bringing fresh dairy.