Norwegian Coffee FAQ's Answered!

I've read through every coffee post and I'm still trying to determine the type of coffee makers that are in Balcony cabins on the Breakaway. This is my first time on NCL and coming from RCL which doesn't provide coffee makers in the cabins. Is it the 4-cup type or the single serve type? I can get pods of both types of Amazon before sailing the end of August on the Breakaway just need to know what type to buy. Guess I could buy both and return the one I don't use :)

Once again, the other thread must've got buried as I've posted this previously, and also inside our Breakaway's standard balcony review earlier this year ... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/IMG20150322_2141%20%281024x768%29.jpg

These are the flat pods / filtered ones - it's a "decent" coffee, not as strong or dark (personal preference) "CLR Roasters" in regular or decaf, 1 cup at a time (tiny, 6 oz. maybe not even ...) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/NCL%20Cruising%20-%20General/IMG150521_2006.jpg Comes with the setup, tell your RS you only need regular like we did & always got extras daily whenever it's used (in our modest appreciation & for everything else, a little cash recognition directly = a big smile from RS :D )

Always travel with our double-insulated SS thermo cup, 7.5 oz capacity but keep it above 160 deg. F for 6+ hours and won't leak - and some powdered one, add hot water anywhere & viola (in lieu of Starbuck's branded ones) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/Travel%20Gadgets/IMG_20150211A.jpg

send from my newly updated PC running MS Windows 10 Pro OS ... finally, they got it right, pleased with the "makeover" & Start menu :cool:

I've read through every coffee post and I'm still trying to determine the type of coffee makers that are in Balcony cabins on the Breakaway. This is my first time on NCL and coming from RCL which doesn't provide coffee makers in the cabins. Is it the 4-cup type or the single serve type? I can get pods of both types of Amazon before sailing the end of August on the Breakaway just need to know what type to buy. Guess I could buy both and return the one I don't use :)

If you do a Google image search of the cabins you'll see the little Hamilton Beach single serve pod machines that use the Melitta/Senseo type pods. It looks like only the older ships have the 4 cup drip machines.

Use your coffee machine to make the hot water, get it at the buffet, or ask for it through room service.

Thanks for this guide. However, this made me twitch :) 99.99999999% of all coffee makers out there don't get the water nearly hot enough for good coffee brewing. Most get up to 180F and a few premium ones to 190F. If you really like your coffee and are really picky, this really isn't very good. I like the solution of asking for hot water at some place they make tea at. Those industrial grade water heaters usually get the water close to 200F which is right about where you want to be.

"Nutrasweet" is the brand but rest assured the pink, blue, and yellow all correspond to the "accepted" ingredient color-coding. Pink is saccharin, blue aspartame, and yellow is sucralose.

I was going to post the same thing, Medtech2. I noticed this on our last cruise, and picked up all three colored packets to take a picture to post in a review. Then I read the fine print, and realized they were "true to their color"! (We always ask for "the yellow sweetener" in restaurants. Servers all seem to know what you're talking about then, haha.)

About the liquid coffee, DH and I went to AutoDesk University in Las Vegas in Decemberr, and went to one of the restaurants in the hotel for breakfast the first day. We ordered coffee, each fixed our cups to our liking, and after taking our first sips, looked at each other and commented how good it was. Smooth, not over-roasted flavor! We asked our waitress about it, and she told us it was a concentrated liquid, told us the name, but I've since forgotten the brand. It is cold-pressed, not in contact with hot water until you are about to serve it. We loved it VERY much! Now I know some people like their over-roasted, french-roasted beans, but we prefer a strong but smooth cup. I'd never turn down a cup of liquid-type coffee.

I'm going to also take this opportunity to once again (I know I'm sounding like a broken record about this) try to convince NCL to sell coffee cards. With the specialty coffee bars in the atriums, this would be a great option for getting a good cup of coffee, prepaid. Say $25.00 increments of cards, each worth a certain number of specialty coffees. I know i'd buy one or more. Our last cruise in a suite was on the SUN where they didn't have a place for the Lavazza machine I know and love, so went down to the atrium to buy a good coffee several mornings.

Edited by planma'am

If you do a Google image search of the cabins you'll see the little Hamilton Beach single serve pod machines that use the Melitta/Senseo type pods. It looks like only the older ships have the 4 cup drip machines.

So, exactly what kind of coffee maker is on the Gem for balcony passengers?

Our upcoming cruise is or first ever cruise, so sorry if this is a stupid question. I only drink iced coffee, I won't drink hot coffee. Is there anywhere to get iced coffee on board? I don't need anything fancy, at home I just drink iced coffee with a little almond milk (I can also use soy if that's all they have, I just can't do dairy).

Thanks!

Our upcoming cruise is or first ever cruise, so sorry if this is a stupid question. I only drink iced coffee, I won't drink hot coffee. Is there anywhere to get iced coffee on board? I don't need anything fancy, at home I just drink iced coffee with a little almond milk (I can also use soy if that's all they have, I just can't do dairy).

Thanks!

You could try pouring their coffee over ice if you don't want to buy from the specialty counter. I have no idea if they have almond milk at that counter so if it is important I'd bring my own.

What about those cases of iced coffee singles you can get at Costco?

Thanks!

I like to get coffee from room service first thing in the morning. I let it cool a bit and pour it over ice in my own insulated mug. Works for me and stays cold until I finish it.

@ planma'am: which suite were you in on the SUN? I'll be cruising Alaska for my honeymoon next summer and an afternoon cappuccino on our balcony is a favorite past time of ours.

But I do want to add that someone on a cruise sometime after ours said they asked the butler, and he brought them a coffeemaker. Don't know what kind, but at least they had one in their room.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I bring a little milk pump .....Italian ..metal thingy ....small ....and create my cappuccinos

...secret ..skim milk for great foam

If i have a coffee maker in cabin ...ahh the joys of early morning coffee by the sea ..ah bliss ahh heaven

I love half and half (not the fake stuff) for my coffee[emoji33]. I will be in a regular balcony cabin on Escape. Where can I find the half and half on the ship?
There have been jugs of half and half at the drink stations in the buffet on every ship I've been on, I imagine it will be the same on Escape. You can put some in your fridge if you want to use it in your cabin.

Glad I found this thread. Sailing NCL Breakaway for the first time this Oct. and I was shocked to find out the UBP did not include premium coffee (not specialty coffees, just premium coffee) a-la-RCCL.

I, like many others, am not a coffee snob per-say but I really enjoy a solid cup in the morning. The fact that there are some fresh grind machines on the boat is a plus, even cheap beans taste pretty good when they're ground fresh.

Thanks for all the tips.

I vote this for sticky!!

Edited by MastaBlasta

• 1 month later...

I'm fresh off the Breakaway and figured I'd update with my findings.

Coffee is often mediocre in the buffet, and was sometimes poor - no matter how much sugar/cream you threw at it, we had to stick to the delicious OJ.

O'Sheehan's is the 24/7 coffee spot on the boat. Each time we went there the coffee was always decent and acceptable - plus they have to-go cups.

I wasn't that impressed with the Americano I got from the coffee bar - not sure what blend or where it was from but it was forgettable.

Every night we finished our dinners at Taste and Savor with coffee and dessert and it was always good, you can tell it was different from the rest of the ship.

La Cucina also had very good coffee, as it should.

I didn't try the coffee/machine in our room, we were too close to O'Sheehans's to mess with it.

Hope this helps.

Edited by MastaBlasta

Rumor has it that on the new Escape the Lavazza coffee machines in the Haven have been replaced with Nespresso (ick) machines. That has me wondering if the partnership between Lavazza and Norwegian is a thing of the past. I certainly hope not because I adore Lavazza coffee.

Can someone comment on what brand the coffee is on recent sailings?

I'm fresh off the Breakaway and figured I'd update with my findings.

Coffee is often mediocre in the buffet, and was sometimes poor - no matter how much sugar/cream you threw at it, we had to stick to the delicious OJ.

O'Sheehan's is the 24/7 coffee spot on the boat. Each time we went there the coffee was always decent and acceptable - plus they have to-go cups.

I wasn't that impressed with the Americano I got from the coffee bar - not sure what blend or where it was from but it was forgettable.

Every night we finished our dinners at Taste and Savor with coffee and dessert and it was always good, you can tell it was different from the rest of the ship.

La Cucina also had very good coffee, as it should.

I didn't try the coffee/machine in our room, we were too close to O'Sheehans's to mess with it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information. I found the same with the coffee in the MDR. I started getting a cup at dinner every night. The coffee in the cabin was ok, as well as the buffet I found that O'sheehans was not hot enough for me. I love hot coffee, but do not want to pay for it on a cruise.

I also carry my own sugar(stevia brand)- don't like the yellow, blue or pink stuff. I may carry some vanilla syrup- I suddenly love it.