Come Sail a Way with us LIVE as the Westerdam meets the Sail a Way Gang

kazu

After their performance, it was our turn.

And up we came with out multitude of HAL bags with their supplies.

Simple things that we take for granted are very expensive there.

The children were unsure at first if they were going to get to keep the gifts (the pencil cases were first), so, a bit of HAL pillow chocolates quickly convinced them that this was real.

Here you can see them opening up their pillow chocolates as we kept unloading stuff.

ea305d18315033df1c069326ddbe6f36.jpg

digging out some of the supplies. The chocolates and ink cartridges were priority. We had kept them cool but didn't want to take the risk that the heat would hurt them while we were watching the performance.

7094f1fd620d4d473f3c672c1929e761.jpg

The teacher couldn't even hold all of the ink cartridges. If her face looks a tad shiny it is because she was crying.

64c88ecd387f202fbc1895b28a19d6c4.jpg

Here are some of the children examining their pencil cases so lovingly made by 10f4 and her DS.. We had emptied the supplies into baskets and they were busy examining everything!

9f10b75379f37d8a6b1cb23d97bb571a.jpg

After we saw the communal toothpaste and 4 toothbrushes, we were so glad we had brought them a good supply of toothpaste and toothbrushes.

We left them with their ink jets, note books, lined paper, paper for drawing and arts, pencils, pens, colouring pencils, erasers, pencil sharpeners, scissors, rulers, toys, stickers to name a few things.

While it's always nice to do charitable donations, it really does the heart good to see the gifts put to use and know they get where they are supposed to go and see the light in the eyes of the recipients.

The children got the gifts, but we were the ones that left richer for the experience.

Our day in Guatemala was fantastic.

We sailed away with warm hearts and wonderful memories.

to be continued....

Edited by kazu

We drove into a small town which was obviously not well to do to get to the Children's School. It is primarily a town of Mayan's. The teacher came out to meet us and walked us down to the school. First she showed us the new construction they were doing. No hard hats here and it is obvious everything is being done manually.

If they can get the construction completed, they will be able to take in 25 more children.

These children would not have an education without this school so it is a very worthwhile cause.

We went into the school's main courtyard with anticipation and the children came out. First, to make everyone aware of their need!

6d6769fd5b9ad22b50503abf7783a994.jpg

You should have seen the shock on their faces when I went up and gave them some cash. We had a poker run on the ship in conjunction with the cabin crawl and the roll call agreed that 1/2 of the proceeds would go towards helping the school.

Each child came up and introduced themselves. Some speaking Spanish and some had already learned English!!!! They wore regional dress of Guatemala and told us their ages.

The boys were charming swooping their hats off and bowing.

The girls were just too sweet for words. It was very touching. Especially because we knew that we had a surprise for them. I had asked our guide Carlos to keep our gifts a secret unless they needed to know. He agreed that a surprise would be wonderful as all the supplies were desperately needed.

983694d1caf5dddafccee99c3e0f9788.jpg

ec5077d0c447b99a915658d725fe5780.jpg

you can see the little lineup forming here as each one came to tell us a bit about themselves.

2e388f4c7ee8605f89c95d854efe956a.jpg

865c243d1c3b5ccb7ef579908e03f0a4.jpg

This is an awesome goal! Thanks for showing it to us!

Thank you for sharing these pictures of Antigua. You really focused on the beauty of the city. We saw the big church and now have a better understanding of why it has not been more fully restored. We saw the pond in the square and just found out from you that the purpose of it as the town clothes washing area. Our guide may have been new, because he didn't have the great explanation about the places we saw, so we both are appreciating your pictures and the narrative you are providing!

Thank you for sharing these pictures of Antigua. You really focused on the beauty of the city. We saw the big church and now have a better understanding of why it has not been more fully restored. We saw the pond in the square and just found out from you that the purpose of it as the town clothes washing area. Our guide may have been new, because he didn't have the great explanation about the places we saw, so we both are appreciating your pictures and the narrative you are providing!

That's too bad that you didn't get the info on your tour. what a shame. Were you on a HAL tour? I think everyone that was on our tour with Carlos' team were quite pleased. We certainly were :)

Kazu RE: That's too bad that you didn't get the info on your tour. what a shame. Were you on a HAL tour? I think everyone that was on our tour with Carlos' team were quite pleased. We certainly were :)

We were on a HAL cruise. The tour started with a tour of a coffee plantation, and that was great, so it was mostly a really good day. My bad because I didn't do research on Antigua before we went, we didn't understand what we were seeing. The other HAL tours we went on had very knowledgeable guides who were really interested in their country, the history /culture /natural beauty. We had our tours organized before I found cruise critic. Next time if we sail with any sail away gang, we will join their tours[emoji6].

Edited by retired714

Kazu RE: That's too bad that you didn't get the info on your tour. what a shame. Were you on a HAL tour? I think everyone that was on our tour with Carlos' team were quite pleased. We certainly were :)

We were on a HAL cruise. The tour started with a tour of a coffee plantation, and that was great, so it was mostly a really good day. My bad because I didn't do research on Antigua before we went, we didn't understand what we were seeing. The other HAL tours we went on had very knowledgeable guides who were really interested in their country, the history /culture /natural beauty. We had our tours organized before I found cruise critic. Next time if we sail with any sail away gang, we will join their tours[emoji6].

We skipped the coffee plantations - seen one you've seen them all so to speak.

And we did the culture thing to get the sense of the place. We prefer that and a taste and drink of the local places. :) It was really fantastic and definitely one of my favourite ports. Antigua is enchanting and our guides were wonderful.

You are welcome to join us anytime :) Warning though, we don't like to be herded so we often do private tours in smaller groups.

hope to see you again on another cruise

......to be continued tomorrow.

Our next stop was Puerto Chiapas. I wasn't looking forward to this port. I knew there wasn't much other than a nice facility for cruisers at the port.

I had read mixed reviews on Tapachula and it seemed to be described as a dusty town with too many beggars by some.

As we were eating breakfast, we had a great view of the performances that were being put on for our benefit by the locals:

dd81acb2b414715c37b16309306aed95.jpg

I had originally told DH that we would just stay in the port. I thought after all our touring, the rest would be good, but it turned out he was adventuresome and wanted to go into the town!

So we headed through the visitors centre where there was more entertainment

5af7bf47890d0d4cddce020350647e29.jpg

3d2ec0b9d919975197bac73109ce097a.jpg

The port provided a shuttle to the town for $10 per person round trip which seemed like a pretty fair deal (about a 30 minute ride) so we bought our tickets and headed into town.

And it was a very pretty town. We liked it. We didn't find it overrun by beggars and there was entertainment at whatever restaurant we stopped in (free wifi) which was certainly worthy of a tip.

6bb56653def9d214ef24dca4780c2e8c.jpg

b568b14f35f5ce4e5af3d6e0f92d41ee.jpg

We strolled around the town and actually made a couple of little purchases.

330126620bf0efb45fb6af5a5746dccc.jpg

the only thing was, this town wanted Mexican pesos so we made a stop to obtain some. It turned out that this was a very good move for our future Mexican ports as I did find that the prices were better in pesos than in American dollars.

We thought it was quite nice and not at all what I expected. A very pleasant surprise indeed!

1a1d7b5170b0e638fdb176075a34e245.jpg

I had heard about a market here so we went walking and found it. Surrounded primarily by locals, we checked things out and then we found a flower stall. Oh! oh! Anyone who has cruised with kazu knows that she likes her flowers so as we watched him put together an arrangement we asked how much something like that was. When he told me the price I just about dropped! Just a few pesos, less than $4 US and I could have a freshly made arrangement. How could I say no? Here's what I got

de39d0da4ae8831ed8e020018e2fa5ef.jpg

Now that I had this huge bouquet of flowers, we did have to worry about the heat as we didn't want them hurt. We also didn't want to be relying on the last shuttle to the ship knowing it would be hard to get so we decided that the best thing to do was to head back.

We lucked into a shuttle quickly and despite the fact that it was illegal (one passenger got on making it one too many and refused to get off and wait for the next one) we got back to the port easily and safely.

When we arrived back, there were more people waiting to greet us at the port

a00386b94c8a43d2dd0f84c4fff68635.jpg

After admiring the costumes, it was time to head back to our home away from home.

ef61194dfeb65fdde47d459d1650a757.jpg

Jacqui, where did you get the peso's? Is there a local exchange? Your photo's are just wonderful. Making me decide to get off the ship in ports I was going to stay on board.

Thank you. You are very kind.

There were currency exchanges in the town as well as ATM's. The currency exchanges were not bad but the rate was better at the ATM of course :)

Edited by kazu

The next day we arrived in lovely Huatulco. We had no plans for this port planning to do stuff on our own. There were lots of guides at the port (which is very pretty) offering tours of the area.

There was a very congenial licensed guide (always get licensed in this port) who offered us a tour for $50 which we thought was very reasonable.

So, DH and I went with him to explore some of this lovely area.

First we went to visit the different bays on the island. This is the one where the Westerdam was:

193d624dd3d57a8c420e7451e278a118.jpg

the views were gorgeous so we snapped like silly people

f223e326ccaeab221e54fc24e975839a.jpg

47fd47f7952b3cbb4f7fdfcc39a8cdbf.jpg

and then we went to the next bay and what a gorgeous sight it was.

greeting us before we looked at the view:

5cb08784963ec29a2f8069229252a69c.jpg

Edited by kazu

We visited a total of 5 bays so a good portion of the beautiful stretches of the island.

8ebc3d3a419d565691974e75944a7333.jpg

fa07ce1481086d9193d6c908825a22c2.jpg

24e2c7f1b961defc495a47ea025f6589.jpg

Along the way, we saw some unique trees and plants

6ce04e61827bb8b2a155c6da11d903ce.jpg

see the pineapple?

0ed8753ac32295fe7387a04b38306774.jpg

Edited by kazu

Our guide gave us some great information, was a lot of fun and made the trip really enjoyable. The tour actually lasted longer than he had originally said.

0a22b95e77cfad13566cf738d156fe91.jpg

there were so many nice beaches, nice views and fauna to see that it was a truly worth while trip

40f2ffc4552ca69a97d7f242c278b52e.jpg

ee25d1673dc005210fa5e021148486e9.jpg

62bdef910598dfdfd407fd5efe0883cb.jpg

88688db4d49ac4010d6c837001739693.jpg

running out of time, so I will continue later

I haven't had time to read all the posts but the photos are wonderful! I love looking at them all. Hopefully will get time to read them all this weekend.

Your CC attendance was amazing on this cruise. Such great memories for all of you.

I haven't had time to read all the posts but the photos are wonderful! I love looking at them all. Hopefully will get time to read them all this weekend.

Your CC attendance was amazing on this cruise. Such great memories for all of you.

Thank you. We usually get a good turn out at our CC meet and greets :)

I guess I have been lucky to have been on some great roll calls :)

carrying on with Hualtulco...

We went to another Bay that is very popular among surfers.

The sand was quite nice.

0c0c57bb13413807963cbde2f69d6879.jpg

7842c295a2f8ffa1d69fa0163559c3da.jpg

then it was time to visit another bay and more wonderful scenery

94272d3e989bf68195e75fb9142465dd.jpg

b7ece46e4d8dbc3b7733eac48f777b19.jpg

8423793cd6c0e59a599df721c6bf8a64.jpg

Then, we went to the old town which is not far away from Santa Cruz. The ship docks in Santa Cruz which refers to the cross of course.

The story goes that a man came walking out of the water and arrived in Hualtulco carrying a cross. He stuck it in the ground and told the people there to worship it. The cross could not be destroyed by pirates nor fire despite all attempts. When the Spaniards arrived they saw the people here worshipping the cross and thought they were Christians already. What they didn't know is that they were worshipping the wood and the name Hualtulco really means lover of wood according to our guide.

The original cross has now been put in three pieces - one in the Vatican. At the port itself is a small concave (church like) which marks the spot where the cross was. In the old town, there is a church which is devoted to the story of the cross and the Saint they believe that brought it.

The Church had a beautiful mural depicting the entire story.

4c5e71f38c932c58970e71ef4c6b5bc4.jpg

as well as another one at the other end. Sorry but flash was not permitted of course so the photos are not as good as I would have liked.

4fb310003846ed41b39eb4eef794ccc5.jpg

Then it was time to explore the lovely park and have a real taste of local cuisine with our guide..

7a0176cd925fc9c21225da5551a57edf.jpg

We had a lovely lunch and yes, I even ate mole!

We had a great day with our guide

0ea72a93ddfea08675f11d27ab99485b.jpg

Afterwards, he drove us back to the port. The area here is very nice and DH and I relaxed with a drink (and wifi), and had a drink with Ingo our cellar master.

All too soon it was time to leave this pretty spot. A very splendid day in lovely Huatulco

6569c28ebb2284afcca8e6441314de67.jpg

Just caught the end of a news segment that said there was a volcanic eruption near Leon, Nicaragua. Lots of ash but, according to reports, nobody killed.

What a shame. Wonder if it was that big volcano we saw?

Glad to hear no lives were lost. Will have to check the reports.

Thanks Kathi

Our next day was a sea day. We had our cabin crawl and poker run planned for that day but it looked like our timing was going to be off. The Mariner's luncheon was scheduled for that date. So, everyone kindly agreed to the change in the time of the cabin crawl and we held it a bit later than planned.

There were two mariner luncheons and two receptions with the second luncheon reception being the medallion awards.

Several of us got our invites for the earlier luncheon and/or reception.

Not good as we had some roll call members getting medallions, so we all requested a change in our times, explaining why and we were happily accommodated.

I know, for some medallions are no big deal, BUT when roll call members are getting them, it can be a lot of fun and why not rejoice for them?

We had two rolls of chairs (at least) as we waited with great anticipation for the awards.

The Sail a Way Gang became known as the 'rowdy bunch' by the Captain. I'm not sure if it was before this or not, but trust me, this occasion certainly legitimatized the name

gathering together enjoying the time together

a26a16109c39f86fcb09060c30399379.jpg

dbdc51a284cfa0eabb97dff0bd3ae758.jpg

When our roll call members were called to the stage a mass of cheering erupted from the sail a way gang.

7604632508eb7f0d453538472ac76ccc.jpg

And just so you don't think that we upset the apple cart, check out the thumbs up for our next medallion recipients' cheers from our Hotel Director

400d86431d1d2758735ccc9b88623cb7.jpg

In fact, when they heard our cheering, they turned around to face our group so we could get pictures

1be80f2dcd70c35c18db6a580b0a84d2.jpg

We had one other roll call member get a medallion and he was totally shocked. Sadly, the angle was not good enough and he was hidden so we couldn't get his picture. (DH will be fired later - LOL)

The Adagio performed for us and they were marvelous as usual

a71ba822db802fdbf914ed9a1af631c9.jpg

Everyone was having fun before things got going

cdd33cf0b8573a41ae43cd119a63f4b8.jpg

035febb91abdf1f0ebc675dce7ad99f2.jpg

573bec420415f271abc158784f6bfafe.jpg

Once everything was over we were led to the Mariner's luncheon. the sparkling wine was pouring quite freely and the meal was very nice. Of course, when you have good company, the meals are always nice.

The tile was a new Stephen Card tile that I hadn't seen before so I was very pleased to get it.

Here is the menu from the Mariner's luncheon. Sorry, it's sideways and I can't edit it on the ipad. I'll move it to the computer and edit it later in my spare time. LOL

1ba339f5686d8a0c20b684c4fe09bac3.jpg

After a very enjoyable sea day we were scheduled to arrive at Puerto Vallarta. I thought DH and I could do this port at a DIY quite easily and I was right.

We headed off early to investigate

8ed363bd558fdadde27c089993c476d8.jpg

Puerto Vallarta has a lovely sea walk. We had decided we were going to walk down there in a leisurely way with the odd browse and then head to the church, Old Town and the Market.

7a4c3760faefbee2eaa6a8fa27a0a8db.jpg

9db678b93adcce3cabb63866bcb80e52.jpg

It's a very pretty walk with all kinds of lovely statues and views. Now, let me just give a bit of a warning. It is a bit of a hike from the ship to the end of the sea walk. For those who do not enjoy a lot of walking, cabs are plentiful and very cheap if you want to have a less taxing day.

Some of the stores were your typical quaint store and some were, well different

c13634fbda87298eef01ae429075ad46.jpg

ca90285c62521cfe0abcccb9a33eaebe.jpg