Coki or Megans Bay for clearest water?

Are you looking for "clearest water" for snorkeling? If so then Coki is the better snorkeling spot. Megans Bay is beautiful, long, has soft sand, calm water, shade trees, picnic tables, facilities, bar service ... but all that wonderful sand makes for very little to look at when snorkeling. Just a little bit of rocks and coral (where the fish hang out) over at the extreme edges.

Westbank, the water at all beaches is very clear as long as the sea is calm. If you are looking for calmer bays Magens and Secret Harbor are good options.

If you want to add gorgeous water colors, beautiful island views, abundant shade, and less crowded conditions where the shade is consider Sapphire Beach. For the most "exotic" beach experience and the nicest calm beach (in our opinion, at least) consider Lindqvist. No amenities to speak of other than restrooms, but a gorgeous beach that is nice and calm.

Love bears both are a 15 - 20 min, ~$8 taxi. If not snorkeling but you want amenities Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) is a nice choice and is less crowded than Magens and Coki, and the Best Western Emerald Beach Resort there has a nice open-air restaurant and a beach bar, as does the Island Beachcomber.

Edited by blue_water

Coki Beach has the clearest water.

Both Magens and Coki are quite clear at the shore although when waves are rougher at Coki it gets cloudier as at any beach that's not well protected like Magens. Magens would be the clear choice (pardon the pun:rolleyes:) for toddlers due to the extremely calm water.

If we are talking "clearest" water I'd have to give the nod to Lindqvist - gorgeous water! :)

• 8 months later...

Good post as we are going back and forth between Coki and Magens beach. We're coming with kids (so looking for a place with amenities) and want waters that are beautiful and clear. We know both will be busy so not an issue. Not to into snorkelling but leaning towards Coki as the water looks soooo pretty and Coral World is near by.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Edited by LuCruise

I'm really just interested in swimming in crystal clear water. I've been to ports where so many people were in the water stirring up sand that the water appears to be murky. I just want the clearest water I can find.

Any St. Thomas beach will have wonderful crystal clear waters. The more people around the more sand that will be kicked up, but they are all beautiful.

Beach recommendations for snorkelling where you don't have to go into deep water - shallow snorkelling? We are older and haven't done snorkelling in years and years and years. Would like recommendations of a beach where maybe max 5-6 feet of water to see anything......

Beach recommendations for snorkelling where you don't have to go into deep water - shallow snorkelling? We are older and haven't done snorkelling in years and years and years. Would like recommendations of a beach where maybe max 5-6 feet of water to see anything......

I'd venture to say you'd be best served at Coki beach. Calm, clear waters and lots of fish! The earlier you get there the better, especially if other ships are in port.

Good post as we are going back and forth between Coki and Magens beach. We're coming with kids (so looking for a place with amenities) and want waters that are beautiful and clear. We know both will be busy so not an issue. Not to into snorkelling but leaning towards Coki as the water looks soooo pretty and Coral World is near by.

I would definitely go to Megan's Bay if you have kids and are not into snorkeling. Coral World looked very small (didn't go though). Coki is VERY crowded and there are LOTS of people smoking weed on the beach.

debbie

I would definitely go to Megan's Bay if you have kids and are not into snorkeling. Coral World looked very small (didn't go though). Coki is VERY crowded and there are LOTS of people smoking weed on the beach.

debbie

Thanks for the feedback. Today I'm leaning towards Magens but it keeps changing. [emoji17] we do have an aquarium in my city so sounds like Coral World won't be too impressive.

I noticed in another thread you weren't that impressed with Magens either. What is your favorite beach? Which ones do you find prettier?

Thanks for the feedback. Today I'm leaning towards Magens but it keeps changing. [emoji17] we do have an aquarium in my city so sounds like Coral World won't be too impressive.

I noticed in another thread you weren't that impressed with Magens either. What is your favorite beach? Which ones do you find prettier?

No, I don't think you would be impressed with Coral World. Like I mentioned, I didn't go there, but it's small from what I saw.

The reason I wasn't impressed with Magen's Bay is because it's touted as a top ten beach of the world. I found it to be very small and it was crowded. But then again with lots of ships in port, I'm sure all the beaches are crowded.

That's the only 2 beaches I've been to in St. Thomas and if I were to choose between the both of them, definitely Magen's Bay. There was a small fee to get in in March of 2014 when we went (none for Coki). I think it was like $4 or $6 per person. But the quality of drinks and waitress service we got at Magen's was better.

The bathrooms were a little better at Magen's Bay, but both are "beach bathrooms" so you can't be terribly impressed :-)

debbbie

LuCruise: If you judge aquariums by size, you may be disappointed in Coral World. It is a small but very accessible. The exhibits all relate to the local fauna, so you can understand the various ecosystems and what you might find there. Also, for children (and some adults!), the touch pools and feed the sting ray exhibits are great. Size isn't everything!:D

No, I don't think you would be impressed with Coral World. Like I mentioned, I didn't go there, but it's small from what I saw.

The reason I wasn't impressed with Magen's Bay is because it's touted as a top ten beach of the world. I found it to be very small and it was crowded. But then again with lots of ships in port, I'm sure all the beaches are crowded.

That's the only 2 beaches I've been to in St. Thomas and if I were to choose between the both of them, definitely Magen's Bay. There was a small fee to get in in March of 2014 when we went (none for Coki). I think it was like $4 or $6 per person. But the quality of drinks and waitress service we got at Magen's was better.

The bathrooms were a little better at Magen's Bay, but both are "beach bathrooms" so you can't be terribly impressed :-)

debbbie

Thanks again for the feedback. I know that both Coki and Magens get crowded, and that's ok. We're coming with kids so not expecting to just sit in a lawn chair and read a book. ;) It looks like there are "just" two ships...us (i.e. Allure) and Carnival Splendor ..not that tour ship is tiny.

Yeah...I knew about the entrance fee, but not a huge deal. I've heard it labelled as one of the top 10 beaches which is part of the appeal. From pictures though, both Coki and Magens look beautiful...and Coki even nicer in pictures because of the pure clear "blue" water.

LuCruise: If you judge aquariums by size, you may be disappointed in Coral World. It is a small but very accessible. The exhibits all relate to the local fauna, so you can understand the various ecosystems and what you might find there. Also, for children (and some adults!), the touch pools and feed the sting ray exhibits are great. Size isn't everything!:D

Yes, very true. We aren't primarily going there because of Coki World but did also select it as we have Coral World next door as an option in case we've had enough sun but still want time in port.

I did end up going to Coki beach and it was gorgeous. I would NEVER go there with children. Everyone was smoking weed everywhere. I guess it didn't help that I was there on national weed smoking day back in April, lol. I would recommend megans bay with kids.

LOL... :p

I did end up going to Coki beach and it was gorgeous. I would NEVER go there with children. Everyone was smoking weed everywhere. I guess it didn't help that I was there on national weed smoking day back in April, lol. I would recommend megans bay with kids.

When was this? We'll be there in April of this year. :eek:

We've been to Coki several times and have never had a problem. It does get crowded, especially on the side closest to Coral World and the bathrooms. We venture a little further down the beach and have had plenty of room. This also depends on how many ships are in port that day, which I imagine has an impact on ALL the beaches.

Bathrooms at Coki were redone in the last couple of years and are very nice. We've always had good service there, though the servers tend to squabble among themselves about who their customers are. It's very competitive!

We've never encountered drugs around us in the main beach area.