Dress Up Day

It is really not that difficult to figure out.

Life is far to short to be stuck in a rut and expect that your way of doing things is the only acceptable way.

Precisely: and that is why people who only wear shorts to dinner should not impose their style choices on others - who happen to accept, and appreciate, the way the line requests them to dress.

She asked YOU. My point is that I never got that info from RCI. I knew about it, but if I didn't know and didn't bring formal wear I wouldn't participate in formal night. All I am saying is if one goes by their RCI paperwork/email correspondence alone without talking to others about cruising (friends, online, etc.), they just may not be aware of the formal nights.

You just made her point -- her mother ASKED.

And, are you saying that nowhere in RCI "...paperwork/email correspondence..." concerning a cruise is suggested/requested dress for dinner mentioned? It sure was when I booked on RCI.

Not at all - I simply identified the two most likely reasons for a person to disregard reasonable norms.

I seriously doubt that being "ignorant" is the reason some people disregard your reasonable norms.;)

She asked YOU. My point is that I never got that info from RCI. I knew about it, but if I didn't know and didn't bring formal wear I wouldn't participate in formal night. All I am saying is if one goes by their RCI paperwork/email correspondence alone without talking to others about cruising (friends, online, etc.), they just may not be aware of the formal nights.

Maybe the cruise line feels a new cruiser would go to their website and read the FAQs. Especially when trying to decide what one needs to bring (clothing, toiletries, etc.).

Originally Posted by Husky61:

I seriously doubt that being "ignorant" is the reason some people disregard your reasonable norms.

And you would know this because?

Can't speak for others but I would know that by judging from some of the anti-dressing responses seen on the boards. "I'm on vacation, I feel comfortable in shorts, I paid to eat in the MDR, so screw anybody who has a problem with that." Nobody said that specifically but that sums up how I took it.

You missed the point. If I am going to try a new restaurant, I take the time to find out the dress code. I look online or call and ask.

If I am invited to an event and am not sure about what would be the expected attire, I call and ask. Case in point my husband had an award dinner, and while most men wore some semblance of a suit or slacks/tie/jacket, it seemed very unclear whether attire for me should be a cocktail outfit or a "church dress." My husband had no idea, so I called one of his female coworkers who had attended in the past to get an answer.

Bottom line I make a few minutes effort and don't assume anything. I even more so do this in advance if I will be traveling without access to my closet.

Here what to pack for RCI cruise, it even says how many nights are formal dress in the MDR: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

Took me about less than 30 seconds to find it, the average person a 1-5 minutes. They're more specific about the dress code at all times than NCL, which just states its casual/ smart causal / formal, but doesn't describe what that really means....

Here's my feelings on this. If a cruise line states a dress code and allows people to not adhere, there is really only one good way to let them know you are unhappy with it. Stop cruising them. I am repeatedly amused by people who complain and complain about their line of choice but still keep cruising. Wake up. You have choices. If an enforced dress code is important to you, cruise in a line that enforces their policies. Same thing with people who complain about the food--take your business to a line known for good food. Don't like the smoking policies? Choose a line with a policy in line with your own wishes.

Stop throwing good money at bad. Walk away from what no longer serves your wants and needs and go to a different line. You always have options, use them.

I think anyone booking a cruise on impulse has more important things to think about than formal clothing! It is rather a different environment to a general land holiday where you may think 'oh we might dine out at some great restaurants so I will pack some dressier outfits' . A new cruiser may just imagine that since the ship is sailing when it gets to evening this is not needed.

Royal presents an action packed family style cruise as well, where a line like Celebrity or Cunard may get you thinking about your dress a little more.

I am sorry to hear it dampened your formal nights however I hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise. Next time you are unsure of cruise type things on board you can always call the services desk from your cabin for help and advice. A royal ship would have had plenty of other venues for you to dine in casual dress and I believe its only Cunard who have the public area dress code whereas every other mainstream line is restaurants and main dining areas.

I love dressing up for dinner each night on holiday as I am so casual in the day but everyone is different.

Edited by Velvetwater

So you would say that being arrogant is the only reason people would disregard requested dress code? Now, THAT is being judgmental.

I didn't say that at all, you were unable to comprehend my comment.:rolleyes:

If a cruise line states a dress code and allows people to not adhere, there is really only one good way to let them know you are unhappy with it. Stop cruising them.

It is really not that difficult to figure out.

I think that some people like to blow this issue far out of proportion.

'Nuff said

Here's my feelings on this. If a cruise line states a dress code and allows people to not adhere, there is really only one good way to let them know you are unhappy with it. Stop cruising them. I am repeatedly amused by people who complain and complain about their line of choice but still keep cruising. Wake up. You have choices. If an enforced dress code is important to you, cruise in a line that enforces their policies. Same thing with people who complain about the food--take your business to a line known for good food. Don't like the smoking policies? Choose a line with a policy in line with your own wishes.

Stop throwing good money at bad. Walk away from what no longer serves your wants and needs and go to a different line. You always have options, use them.

Interesting take on the question of people refusing to comply with suggested dress codes: just concede to them because they are more willing to get offensive with dining room staff. Of course, it is not surprising coming from someone who boasts of travelling weeks at a time with just carry-ons.

I take it you would prefer to live in a police state where rules are vigorously enforced than in a civilized society where reasonable people comply with reasonable norms without having to be forced.

Interesting take on the question of people refusing to comply with suggested dress codes: just concede to them because they are more willing to get offensive with dining room staff. Of course, it is not surprising coming from someone who boasts of travelling weeks at a time with just carry-ons.

I take it you would prefer to live in a police state where rules are vigorously enforced than in a civilized society where reasonable people comply with reasonable norms without having to be forced.

I'm sorry, but how hard is it to ask what the dress code is for RCI on CC forums? How hard is it to look up on the RCI website and find out how many formal nights in MDR are there and what the dress policy(ies) are?

Ducklite may said it harshly, but she's not too far off - If you don't like dressing up for formal night, don't go to the MDR when its scheduled, looking like a bum with sweatshirt and gympants on! How hard is for a man to put on a polo shirt and some decent slacks without a tie to look presentable for formal night? If you can't even do that, just go to the buffet or another restaurant on the ship that doesn't have heavily enforce dress code for dinner - its not the end of world......:rolleyes:

For the record - Its very easy to pack clothes for week(s) in a carry-on especially when putting them in packing cubes. :rolleyes: :cool:

I'm sorry, but how hard is it to ask what the dress code is for RCI on CC forums? How hard is it to look up on the RCI website and find out how many formal nights in MDR are there and what the dress policy(ies) are?

Ducklite may said it harshly, but she's not too far off - If you don't like dressing up for formal night, don't go to the MDR when its scheduled, looking like a bum with sweatshirt and gympants on! How hard is for a man to put on a polo shirt and some decent slacks without a tie to look presentable for formal night? If you can't even do that, just go to the buffet or another restaurant on the ship that doesn't have heavily enforce dress code for dinner - its not the end of world......:rolleyes:

I think you missed the thread of the conversation - Ducklite was not talking about someone not going to MDR if they didn't feel like dressing --- she was saying to avoid a cruise line if you did not like the fact that they let slobs in on "formal" nights - in short give in.

For the record - Its very easy to pack clothes for week(s) in a carry-on especially when putting them in packing cubes. :rolleyes: :cool:

Of course it is easy - but for several weeks it usually means dressing very casually - no problem for many women, but few men can do it without looking scruffy.

Of course it is easy - but for several weeks it usually means dressing very casually - no problem for many women, but few men can do it without looking scruffy.

Look, if a man doesn't know how to pack 4-7 polo/regular shirts, 2-4 khakis / slacks / dockers, 1-3 shorts, 1-2 pairs of shoes and a small febreeze bottle for a one week in a carry-on - I highly doubt he would know how to pack for weeks in one....

Edited by maywell

You may want to consider sailing on a premium line like Oceania. Perhaps a few bucks more. But, far more civilized (and way better food and amenities).

I'd love to but they don't come down our part of the world very often and when they do they are usually one-way cruises. :(

Originally Posted by Husky61:

I seriously doubt that being "ignorant" is the reason some people disregard your reasonable norms.

Can't speak for others but I would know that by judging from some of the anti-dressing responses seen on the boards. "I'm on vacation, I feel comfortable in shorts, I paid to eat in the MDR, so screw anybody who has a problem with that." Nobody said that specifically but that sums up how I took it.

My comment about "You know this because ....." was directed at Husky61, not you. You and I are in agreement!

Couple of points; if one is seated at a dinner table and is "offended" that someone at their table is in shorts I'd suggest stop looking under the tablecloth.

Seriously, all you need to do is wear a pair of khakis and a polo shirt or Tommy Bahama shirt to dinner. I do, and after dinner I go change back to golf shorts, sandals and a polo. No other venue on the ship after my meal prohibits me from doing that. Save those pants for the second night and no harm done.

Perhaps I should have been clearer. Choose a line where they don't have to enforce it because your fellow travelers have the common sense and class to adhere to the stated dress code.

I don't see living in a police state being equal to expecting a cruise line to discretely turn away people who can't figure out how to put in a pair of big boy pants and shoes.

Actually my point is that if your cruise line of choice doesn't enforce their own policies and it bothers you, don't complain about it, just choose a different line to cruise in. Take your money to a cruise line that either does enforce or attracts a clientele that doesn't need babysitting by the fashion police.

The only reason some people have an issue with us light packers (who are always properly attired) is that they are upset with themselves because they haven't the common sense to figure out how to do so. I get a chuckle out of it. They can enjoy spending hours waiting in lines to check and collect bags, worrying about missing luggage, and paying fees. No skin off my nose.

You couldn't be more wrong. Just returned from two weeks in Europe. My husband had with him (and wore) slacks, dress shirt, jacket, tie, and shoes. Do you consider that casual?

I had a skirt and twinset with shaves and jewelry as needed. Nothing "scruffy" about that. Had I needed a dressier outfit I would have packed one.

When we cruised the Med in 2012 I had an outfit I could have worn to formal night if we had one--a long black skirt and sparkly black top.

There is nothing scruffy about the way we dress, and I can assure that most of our clothing is from better brands (my husband is partial to Brooks Bros and Ralph Lauren and I am partial to Eileen Fisher and Ralph Lauren).

So interesting, how this subject gets people "huffy" with each other. I find it fascinating that some people can knowingly go to a dining room on "formal night" dressed very casually and, believing it is their right, do so in comfort. I guess it is a matter of our own values. Personally, I could not be comfortable if I thought my dress did not fit in with the norm. To me, the comfy shorts and flip-flops would make me squirm in embarrassment if all around me were dressed in suits, tuxes, and fancy dresses.

Have always wanted to ask the shorts-wearing posters--would you still be comfortable wearing shorts to the best restaurant at home? Not me!

As far as baggage, I find it a game to see how lightly I can pack and still include things for formal nights, touring, and hanging out by the pool. I have the best success with fancy black pants or skirt, black top and a glittery scarf!

I promise not to hate on you if I see you on our next cruise, but I might turn a bit pink.........