New Internet Plan

jeffregpuck

question- can someone please explain to me if those little hotspot devices( Verizon) work? Do they work on the ship ? Do you need to connect to the ship or can it connect to a satellite, do they work in port? Do you need to buy one of the internet packages for these to work? Dawn Boston to Bermuda. Using with a cell or tablet..

thanks for the knowledge !!

treefrog

question- can someone please explain to me if those little hotspot devices( Verizon) work? Do they work on the ship ? Do you need to connect to the ship or can it connect to a satellite, do they work in port? Do you need to buy one of the internet packages for these to work? Dawn Boston to Bermuda. Using with a cell or tablet..

treefrog

They should work, if you mean the Verizon cellular hotspot devices. Go to myverizon.com and make sure your device is suitable for one of their global plans; you will use the ship's cell capability (not direct to satellite), which U.S. cell companies treat like foreign roaming. I added (for my phone) a plan that included 100MB data, 100 minutes voice, 100 outgoing texts and unlimited incoming texts for $40, works on board and in foreign ports. I think it would have been $25 for the data only - if you go over 100MB, they will charge you another $25 for another 100.

Without a plan like this, I forget what they charge for data per MB but it's cringe-worthy. Also, the data will not be 4G on the ship - I think it's 2G at best. Verizon has a chart with what you can expect in the different countries.

If you do this, you will not need a shipboard internet plan. All the charges come through your cell plan. If you are using a lot of data, though, the ship Internet (through wifi) may be less expensive if you manage your minutes well, doing as much as possible offline and then connecting only to send/receive.

Am I the only one who find it very "old fashioned" that they offer the various internet plans in minutes and not in used MB....? I have no need for the unlimited package, and in the past I have stayed away from the minute-packages they offer fleet wide, just because the online service at times is so slow that the minutes "fly away". I would definitely prefer to purchase an internet package that includes a certain number of MB (I believe that is possible on Getaway and Breakaway, but not on any of the other ships?).

This depends on the ship's Internet provider. Satellite internet is a whole different thing than land based systems.

treefrog

If that worked it would end up way more expensive than buying an Internet plan.

If that (VZW's MiFi hotspot) worked it would end up way more expensive than buying an Internet plan.

+1 Correct. Ultra expensive !! @ $20.48 USD per MB data used - under its Global Roaming plan when on the cruise ship, rates varied and are set differently in non-US ports. VZW used to have cruise ship coverage at "reasonable" rates but it has been discontinued and no longer offered.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/global-roaming/

For the GEM/Dawn sailing to Bermuda, VZW's trip planner showed voice calling at $2.49 per minute, 5 cents for incoming text msg/SMS, 50 cents for outgoing text/SMS, 2G data speed is billed at $20.48 per MB used (thus, 100 MB would be $2,048 USD as in two thousand and forty-eight US dollars - not a math error or mistake)

Leave that MiFi turned off - unless ... Breakaway's MB data plan, in comparison, was a small fraction of VZW's global roaming rates for cruise ship coverage at sea. Please call VZW's international help desk or global support, and verify the coverage & current rates in effect - and brace yourself for the shock. :eek::D

Edited by mking8288

+1 Correct. Ultra expensive !! @ $20.48 USD per MB data used - under its Global Roaming plan when on the cruise ship, rates varied and are set differently in non-US ports. VZW used to have cruise ship coverage at "reasonable" rates but it has been discontinued and no longer offered.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/global-roaming/

For the GEM/Dawn sailing to Bermuda, VZW's trip planner showed voice calling at $2.49 per minute, 5 cents for incoming text msg/SMS, 50 cents for outgoing text/SMS, 2G data speed is billed at $20.48 per MB used (thus, 100 MB would be $2,048 USD as in two thousand and forty-eight US dollars - not a math error or mistake)

All true but Verizon's global package ($25 for 100MB) can be less expensive IF your data needs are limited. If all you're doing is checking email, 100 MB goes fairly far. I used it on an 11 day cruise and it was plenty. If your data needs are higher, the shipboard WiFi is the way to go.

Don't under any circumstances turn your cellular data on at the per-MB rate, as mking so well illustrates above. And if you're using a cell or tablet even with a data package as I did, make sure data-hungry background apps are disabled!

On Jewel and using the unlimited internet plan at the moment. Signed up after noon today and saved on a day of the cost which was nice because I didn't need internet yesterday.

Speed of the service is slightly slower than at the house, but far better than on other ships I've been aboard.

Email is moving without hassle and I was able to watch youtube videos without them sticking as more footage downloaded.

Ship only has 138 under 18 aboard so maybe the internet would slow if there were 800+ of them like last week, but reports were that last week it went fast anyhow.

... Verizon's global package ($25 for 100MB) can be less expensive IF your data needs are limited. If all you're doing is checking email, 100 MB goes fairly far. I used it on an 11 day cruise and it was plenty. If your data needs are higher, the shipboard WiFi is the way to go.

Don't under any circumstances turn your cellular data on at the per-MB rate, as mking so well illustrates above. And if you're using a cell or tablet even with a data package as I did, make sure data-hungry background apps are disabled!

VZW used to have a global data package for NCL fleet ships - while at sea (not anymore,) and that 100MB for $25 was fine for the "smart" users familiar with tweaking & tailoring background data usage & staying away from media streaming. It is available if you cruise with another line at sea, but not with NCL at this moment, AFAIK. This package might be valid & available in foreign ports, off the satellite towers of NCL cruise ship(s)

Breakaway's MB data plan was 50 MB for $19 or 200 MB for $39, which I can probably make it last a week with minimal difficulty, but the 400MB for $49 will probably make more sense.

It's important to understand whether it is using cellular bandwidth or WiFi signal on the ship, the relay is done via the ship's satellite tower to bounce the signal thousands of miles above the earth's orbit and then beamed down to a land tower with circuits switching to ping its intended URL or destination - so it will be as fastr or as slow as you might expect - and for VZW's CDMA signal, it's 2G speed = slow.

Those with AT&T Wireless/Mobility and/or T-Mobile USA "post-paid" coverage, the data is 3G/HSPA or HSPA+ and depending on ports/countries being visited, 4G true LTE speed if the bands & radios are compatible. Both carriers have coverage for cruise ships flagged under NCL, including data & texting. Prepaid MNVO carriers like Tracfone, Simple Mobile or Straight Talk (as resellers) plans usually do not have roaming coverage included by its partner carriers - YMMV.

It's best to check directly with CSR with one's own carrier on enabling coverage & the costs involved. Alas, for family, work & personal emergencies on the high seas - costs are not the keys to staying in touch.

VZW used to have a global data package for NCL fleet ships - while at sea (not anymore,) and that 100MB for $25 was fine for the "smart" users familiar with tweaking & tailoring background data usage & staying away from media streaming. It is available if you cruise with another line at sea, but not with NCL at this moment, AFAIK.

I used it on Pearl last week. Everything else you said was spot-on.

Am I the only one who wants to leave the Internet on another planet whilst on vacation?

No, I'm with you. If they continue to make the internet more and more affordable i will have to start looking for another way to vacation!

For those of us who are technologically challenged, would someone be kind and explain the difference between MB and minutes? I know the system counts minutes when you use it but how would one know how many MBs one would need or use? Thanks.

can anyone say if the Breakaway still offer Per MB internet plan or they are also by the minute?

BA has been going by the MB plan - not by the minutes. What's true last week or this week might not be for you next week or after ... see my recent BA review for more details.

sent from my Google Nexus 5/7 via Tapatalk

On the 3/29/15 sailing of the BA it was still MB. They had a 800mb plan for $69

Hmmm, BA's prices went up $10 in a week for the 800MB plan from $59 (week of 3/22/15. Typically, we can manage a week's worth of disciplined use of internet with settings tweaked & background updates turned off, etc. on a single device (mostly). This is more "economical" than the unlimited daily plan on the Getaway as being reported last/this week - much rather stay offline or use it as little as possible without feeling completely out of touch in the digital era. (Just need to watch out for those cloud storage sync. )

Screenshot -https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/IMG20150322_1552.jpg

For those of us who are technologically challenged, would someone be kind and explain the difference between MB and minutes? I know the system counts minutes when you use it but how would one know how many MBs one would need or use? Thanks.

Minutes: if you check your email or upload pictures onto your computer while on the ship; you are charged per minute. If it takes 5 minutes to check email; then you burned through 5 min of internet time.

MB: Megabytes: if your charged by megabyte; which is what you do when you text; every letter or character you type onto your phone/tablet, or computer would count towards how many megabytes you have used

Wow, it used to be 250 min. for $100.00. Now it's $125.00 for a 7 day cruise.

$174.93 for unlimited for a 7 day cruise.

Plus that stupid $3.95 fee - which really, there is no need for.

Harriet

If you buy the unlimited package the second day of a 7 day cruise it is $149.94 which is an awesome bargain for unlimited. I boarded the Jewel Saturday for 7 day Western Caribbean and bought the package Sunday afternoon. I'm loving it.

Edited by NMLady

I must not be looking in the right place on the website. I am trying to find if this package is offered on the Jewel. We will be leaving next Saturday and this would definitely save us some money. Can anyone give me any help?

YES it is on the Jewel. I'm on Jewel now with the unlimited package.

YES it is on the Jewel. I'm on Jewel now with the unlimited package.

Thanks. We will be leaving this Saturday. I talked to my PCC and she said it would be $20 a day. Definitely a deal compared to what we normally pay.

DeWanna

Here's a tip if you get the unlimited internet and want to use more than 1 device on it simultaneously (which I assume they don't allow).

Say, you want to use your laptop and your wife wants to use her iPad.

Download a program called Connectify. The basic version is free, and it's all you need.

This allows your laptop to "broadcast" your WiFi connection to other devices (only when you turn it on -- don't worry, it won't compromise your security at home).

I use it all the time on airlines, hotels, or other places where internet is per device.