Craft Beers

Cruise Arizona

One of my concerns is that beer doesn't have all that long a shelf life. Have you found that to be an issue?

It all depends on the style, The Abyss 2014, a Barrell aged stout at 11.1 alc, from Deschutes in Bend, OR has a best 'AFTER' date of 11-10-2015. ($19.00 ea) Where as the Viven Imperial IPA with a 8.0 alc from Belgian has a best 'BY' date of 5-27-2016. ($10)

You are correct that the shelf life of the 'big box' Brewers is short.

image.jpg.e61a38d8364c73c24211852f83b84c5b.jpg

I tend to prefer ales to lagers, but have been branching out with so many good craft beers now available.

Sam there are copy's of the craft beer menu's from the GastroBar on the Equinox from the summer of 2014 in this thread;

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2051239

It was about the same when we sailed last Nov, and the stock is very close across the fleet. A couple of diff selections based on where the ship is sailing.

You are my hero and have inspired me to reconsider the beverage package! I would though not, IMHO, fill one of my beer tasting slots with Miller Lite type beers. But then again I might need to revisit Miller Lite to confirm my opinion of carbonated straw colored water.

I had never thought of doing a sampler and the beverage package would take the sting out of spending money for beers I might not enjoy. I like Bitters/IPA's and tend to stick to them unless off ship and trying the local brews which tend to be lagers at least in the Caribbean.

I tend to prefer ales to lagers, but have been branching out with so many good craft beers now available.

Try a Torpedo from Sierra Nevada--7.2% Rated 93 and 99 by Beer Advocate.

Sam there are copy's of the craft beer menu's from the GastroBar on the Equinox from the summer of 2014 in this thread;

It was about the same when we sailed last Nov, and the stock is very close across the fleet. A couple of diff selections based on where the ship is sailing.

Do they have the GastroBar on M class ships?

Good choice! I enjoy Sierra Nevada.

I do think they are now owned or at least partly owned by one of the larger multi national brewers, but hey as long as they maintain quality and favor, I am okay.

I asked this in the other thread but does anyone know or has anyone tried taking on bombers of craft beer like these... in lieu of the 2 bottles of wine. We arent wine drinkers & prefer craft beer so it would be nice to take those on board if we could.

01_1.jpg

Thanks for the post!

I looked at menu and it would be fun trying out the selections listed with a drink package. I have a local tavern currently serving Goose Island IPA on tap and it is hard for me to try something else while I can get this fresh from the tap!

Need to see if there is a craft beer sailing! That might be interesting, especially if in draft/barrels/some bottles. Always more fun sharing the experience with others who also like the fun of trying different beers.

DW does not care for beer. :( She is a trouper and will go with me on my quest of pubs serving beers. We are going to Asheville, NC (she for the Biltmore, me for the beers) for a few days soon and they have lots of tasting rooms there. Interestingly, most are small and serve no food. One I contacted said I could bring some sandwiches from across the street in. I don't like to just drink without some food.

I asked this in the other thread but does anyone know or has anyone tried taking on bombers of craft beer like these... in lieu of the 2 bottles of wine. We arent wine drinkers & prefer craft beer so it would be nice to take those on board if we could.

01_1.jpg

What a GREAT question! My guess is no as they don't allow spirits to be brought on in lieu of wine. I don't think they do?!

Edited by shipshape sam

01_1.jpg

Can't believe Ballast Point Sculpin is not in this picture??:rolleyes:

What a GREAT question! My guess is no as they don't allow spirits to be brought on in lieu of wine. I don't think they do?!

Last time we took on champagne. Wrapped it in bubble wrap and a towel to make sure it was safe for travel. They never unwrapped them. I guess we'll try it and report back ;):D

01_1.jpg

I use the 'wine skins' and wrapped a few barrel aged stouts and put them in my checked luggage last yr with no problem. I am taking 2 of The Abyss bommers to share at sail away this Nov.

I use the 'wine skins' and wrapped a few barrel aged stouts and put them in my checked luggage last yr with no problem. I am taking 2 of The Abyss bommers to share at sail away this Nov.

AWESOME! Thanks I will check those out. :D

I would guess you have not cruised on the Eclipse. Hopefully this will change after the dry dock.

On the Reflection the Fuller's Vintage Ale became one of my favorites. Orval is also one of my favorites.

I would guess you have not cruised on the Eclipse. Hopefully this will change after the dry dock.

On the Reflection the Fuller's Vintage Ale became one of my favorites. Orval is also one of my favorites.

The rumblings from Celebrity is that they had scuttled the plans for the GastroBar to be added to the Eclipse during the upcoming dry dock.

The rumblings from Celebrity is that they had scuttled the plans for the GastroBar to be added to the Eclipse during the upcoming dry dock.

It is hard to keep up with all the discussions. Last I read they were modifying the Passport bar. Is this no longer true?

Thanks.

Good choice! I enjoy Sierra Nevada.

I do think they are now owned or at least partly owned by one of the larger multi national brewers, but hey as long as they maintain quality and favor, I am okay.

I find that I like anything by Sierra Nevada, Stone, and Bells.

Would like to try Pliny the Elder. Bells Two Hearted and Pliny have been duking it out for the last few years for the number one rank and Bells finally edged out Pliny. Problem is Pliny is only sold in a small market on the west coast and I think Philly. It could also turn out to be like Coors used to be when it wasn't sold east of the Mississippi. Everyone wanted it until they started selling it throughout the country.

Drink up 🍺🍻

It is hard to keep up with all the discussions. Last I read they were modifying the Passport bar. Is this no longer true?

Thanks.

That is the last thing I had read also. I guess:D we will all get the real deal scoop when she floats out!

It could also turn out to be like Coors used to be when it wasn't sold east of the Mississippi. Everyone wanted it until they started selling it throughout the country.

Drink up 🍺🍻

The reason no one wanted it after they went nationwide [other than the Yogi joke that nobody goes there because it's too crowded...] is because they had to start pasteurizing it so it could be shipped and sold without constant refrigeration. Totally different beer now, despite the retro label on the bottles.

The reason no one wanted it after they went nationwide [other than the Yogi joke that nobody goes there because it's too crowded...] is because they had to start pasteurizing it so it could be shipped and sold without constant refrigeration. Totally different beer now, despite the retro label on the bottles.

That refrigeration is a myth. I was in Golden Colorado in 1977 touring Coors. I asked where was a good place to buy some Coors to take back home. was told to go to a store called Apple Jacks. It was the size of a super market that sold nothing but beer, wine and etc. There were aisles and aisles of beer cases with no refrigeration. I had a van and picked up 10 cases Coors cans. None of them were refrigerated and I questioned it and was told there is no truth to it. The beer is not delivered in refrigerated trucks or stored that way. I had to sign a paper that I was not going to resell them because I was from another state. Took them home and gave away 6 packs to friends. I drank some and the novelty wore off. About a year later someone seen that I still had 3 cases left. I gave them to him in trade for Strohs and he knew that they were old. He told me that they still tasted fine to him.

I use to drink Strohs and even that changed in quality and taste over the years just like most beers have. It use to be very popular but don't know anyone that drinks it anymore. The bean counters changed too many things and since the brewery has moved they are no longer using Detroit River water and I think that was the secret. :D

During the question and answer I asked if Coors was planning on making a light beer. The tour guide emphatically said sir Coors will never make a light beer because Coors is already light. I guess according to him they just changed the label.

drink up 🍺🍻

You are my hero and have inspired me to reconsider the beverage package! I would though not, IMHO, fill one of my beer tasting slots with Miller Lite type beers. But then again I might need to revisit Miller Lite to confirm my opinion of carbonated straw colored water.

I had never thought of doing a sampler and the beverage package would take the sting out of spending money for beers I might not enjoy. I like Bitters/IPA's and tend to stick to them unless off ship and trying the local brews which tend to be lagers at least in the Caribbean.

I had plenty of time on our cruise (17 nights/10 sea days) to sample whatever was available. You might have guessed that my objective was to have one of everything on board. There's plenty on that list that I had only one of so that I could 'tick it off the list'. Miller lite falls into the one stubby category. And as Austrlian craft beer lovers would agree, Vic Bitter (Austalia's most popular beer) XXXX & Tooheys New are commercial varieties that are popular with the masses but are thin, watery and tasteless. If others like/enjoy them then good luck to them but they are simply not to my liking.

You might also like to know that at the various port stops I was able ta add a further 16 beers to the list - so 50 for the trip. I found a couple of micro breweries/craft beer venues at the ports which was great.

The craft beer scene continues to grow here in Australia and there are some great small breweries around.

We had a really active roll call for our cruise with lots of activities organised. I put on a beer tasting at passport bar one arvo. I used the method we use at our local home brew club. 16 people participated - we 'judged' 4 different beers. It wasn't too serious and was more educational than technical. It was a bit of fun and meant we made acquaintance with some like minded individuals.

As I keep telling my long suffering wife, my love of beer and brewing is a hobby.... Not a problem.

'Very close across the fleet'! I wish. Nothing like that extensive list on Solstice in Feb March. See my earlier post in this thread for what actually was on board.

01_1.jpg

I asked if I could replace the 2 bottle carry on wine option with some beer was given a flat 'no'. We took the wine as carry on and the bags were x-rayed without a visual inspection. So it might be worth the risk. Worst case is they'll confiscate it and hold it until the end of the cruise.