What book are you taking?

300dtc

Hi,

If you are an avid reader like myself, I'm sure you have thought about what book(s) to take on your cruise! I usually load a few on my kindle or ipad, but also like to take at least one "real book". So this time i preordered and am taking Dead Wake, by Erik Larson. It's about the sinking of the Lusitania...yes, I am taking a book about sinking on my cruise!

What books have you been saving up to read on your next cruise? If everyone chips in, we should have a great booklist to choose from:)

Next cruise is August and I'm planning on GOT book 3 and Wheel of Time book 3 (Robert Jordan). Also try to remember to check the monthly book club suggestion. I also bring along 3 or 4 books (non-kindle) that I have already read for trading in the library :)

have you read any other Erik Larsen books? Devil in the White city is fascinating

Edited by Corinda
additional thought

Next cruise is August and I'm planning on GOT book 3 and Wheel of Time book 3 (Robert Jordan). Also try to remember to check the monthly book club suggestion. I also bring along 3 or 4 books (non-kindle) that I have already read for trading in the library :)

have you read any other Erik Larsen books? Devil in the White city is fascinating

Yes I read that one and also in the garden of beasts about **** Germany.. I really like his writing

I used to pack atleast 3 or 4 books but now just check a few out of the library on board! They usually have a fairly good selection and my dh is thankful because my bags are lighter!

Never found anything in a ship library worth reading

Love Wheel of Time! I have the entire series saved on my iPad, along with a couple hundred others.

Edited by Treven

I meant to take 'A Carribbean mystery' by Agatha Christie for mine last summer and forgot so read The Virgin suicides and The Help on our last cruise...wonderful books both of them.

Will have to read Mrs Christie this summer in Poland haha.

Dead Wake, by Erik Larson.

Devil in the White city is fascinating

I loved Devil in the White City! I always bring my Kindle (with too many books on it) on cruises. I'm definitely going to download Dead Wake for my cruise in May. Thanks for a great thread and a great suggestion! ;)

Plague Ship by Clive Cussler. Hungry as the Sea by Wilbur Smith.

I like Cussler a lot, read Plague Ship as well as most of his other books. Thanks for the title Hungry as the Sea, looks good!

I go to the library but I don't read as much as I do at home.

Might not be a brilliant selection but there is enough. Imagine lugging a great, heavy book to read and chucking it after the first chapter!

This cruise I am taking my stress busting equipment . . crayons and a colouring book.

Keeping up with trends:D

Yes I read that one and also in the garden of beasts about **** Germany.. I really like his writing

^^^ OFF topic^^^ I saw the above censoring of the word so had to look the book up. Strange that the word that refers to Hitler's political party is edited.

^^^ back to your regular topic ^^^

^^^ OFF topic^^^ I saw the above censoring of the word so had to look the book up. Strange that the word that refers to Hitler's political party is edited.

^^^ back to your regular topic ^^^

I know! I thought that was strange too...why would they censor that word?

I like to try to find something related to the area we're cruising in. Any suggestions for Norway?

I think that Rick Steves' usually has a good commentary about an area...especially cruises. Haven't been to Norway yet, but it's on the bucket list, if you find one that you like let me know!

Thanks! I have an (over:o)abundance of travel guides, to include Steves, but I'm trying to come up with fiction set in or about Norway. I read a few St. Petersburg novels before our Baltic cruise and it made the trip even better!

I've been introduced to Louise Penny's detective books, and am now on to my fourth. They're written about her native Canada, and I'm learning so much about the culture and history. Well written, with good plots. I'll be down -loading more before my next cruise.

We took the Carnival repo from Tampa to Baltimore. The first time that not a single paperback or book was sold in ship stores. It took several years but now even the upper age demographics are reading e-books on handheld devices.

The ship's library had book. Not too terrible for such a limited collection.