3 Nights On Regal. My thoughts...and a few photos.

Aquahound

As most of you know, Princess tends to board a little later than other lines. The trade off is having rooms ready upon boarding. I don't know if things changed, it's specific to Regal, or this was just a fluke, but it was a good hour or so after boarding until the rooms were ready.

We were in D702. Like I said, this was a last minute booking with no real research done into this ship. I learned in another thread how small the rooms are and how narrow the balconies are, so it came as no surprise to me when I saw it in person. This truly was the smallest balcony room in which I've ever stayed. I got used to it but to be honest, I wouldn't like this small room on a 7 night or longer cruise.

I didn't take any pictures of the room itself, but here is somewhat of an idea. Can't complain about the view though!

ry%3D400

That chair is kinda pointless. It's more int he way than it is useful.

The balcony, I did get used to. Yes, it is very narrow and no, it is not as nice as balconies on competitor ships, but honestly, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and we did get used to it.

ry%3D480

A few more thoughts on the room. This was the first cruise I ever took wherein I never met my room attendant. They did their job wonderfully, whoever they were.

Also, we had a problem with water temp in the shower. It would not cool down. It was either hot or scalding.

As far as getting cooler water...There was a button on the faucet in the shower that you had to press in order to turn it to a cooler setting. It took me a moment to figure it out.

Strange tthat you never saw your steward. We would see ours each time we came and went from the cabin.

On a side note on the last morning when we walked by Guest services my hubby asked if there were any available cabins for the 3 day. The rep said..no but we have life boats..to which my hubby replied "I'll take one!"

We didn't want to get off. Wish I thought sooner to also book the 3 day.:)

We kept missing it on our cruise also. Finally on the last night, according to the Patter, it was scheduled to occur 9:45-10:15. We got out of the show at exactly 9:45 and beat feet up to the Lido to catch it, figuring we would only miss the first few minutes. It was about 9:50 when we got up there and it was already over. :mad: Since the Patter said until 10:15, we stood there for another 10 minutes waiting either for it to continue or for another show to start but.....nothing. Another cruise line has a fountain show that goes a good 15-20 minutes. I kinda figured if Regal was using such prime space to copy an idea already introduced by another line, the displays would be a little more impressive.

So yes, this is another thing I found disappointing about Regal.

Our fountain show got cancelled on first showing due to winds. They tried it again next night even in the wind but the water was blowing everywhere.

At the bottom of the stairs, see how the aisle widens and there appears to be gaps at the ends of some rows....

That is the handicap seating area. The view from right there is pretty good. To get to the seats with the terrible view, you either have to go along the front of the stage, or go down a very narrow stairway against the wall.

With good handrails, I should be able (if I ever win lotto! HA!) be able to cruise safely on the Regal.

Please, what is CBP, mentioned earlier, think I've remembered it correctly, mean? Newbie cruiser, not seen that before.

Crochetcruise :cool:

The elevators have a mind of their own...did not figure it out in 7 days....using a scooter which was only ignored a couple of times.....most people were kind and made sure I got in and out safely so the person using a wheelchair should have no more trouble than any other passenger flummoxed by the strange workings of the elevators....they actually seemed less crowded than other ships I have been on despite the lack of staircase...the muster drill was a LONG exception....

...and the CBP lady who didn't laugh when I told her the only thing I purchased was a hangover (thanks to Mike's espresso martinis in Crooners the night prior).

Please, what is CBP, mentioned earlier, think I've remembered it correctly, mean? Newbie cruiser, not seen that before.

Crochetcruise :cool:

I believe it stands for Customs and Border Protection.

:D

(Edited...Thanks Colo Cruiser ;))

Edited by dmwnc1959
Because I didn't know what the "P" stood for and Colo Cruiser did :)

I've never understood the big deal about the aft dining room, that design has been on ships forever, not just Princess. On the Emerald for 25 days, cabin Plaza forward, up the stairs 2 decks, walk all the way to the back and down to 6! :) My thought, all the food I need the exercise!!! :D

At the bottom of the stairs, see how the aisle widens and there appears to be gaps at the ends of some rows....

That is the handicap seating area. The view from right there is pretty good. To get to the seats with the terrible view, you either have to go along the front of the stage, or go down a very narrow stairway against the wall.

Thanks for this additional information about location of handicapped seating in the theater. Lower level access is much appreciated by those who push the wheelchairs!

Thanks for this additional information about location of handicapped seating in the theater. Lower level access is much appreciated by those who push the wheelchairs!

The only reason I mentioned the upper level access is that's it's on the same deck (Promenade Deck) as the majority of all public spaces on the ship. You're not 'pushing' any more to get to the upper level w/c areas than you would be on the lower level - you still enter from the back on both levels.

;)

I've never understood the big deal about the aft dining room, that design has been on ships forever, not just Princess. On the Emerald for 25 days, cabin Plaza forward, up the stairs 2 decks, walk all the way to the back and down to 6! :) My thought, all the food I need the exercise!!! :D

I think the issue is, for those dependent on the elevators, they become very bogged down starting about 20 minutes prior to the start of each dining time. Many people finally take the elevators up to go down which creates total gridlock of the aft elevators. We've found leaving from Skywalkers at about that time, the best way to manage it is to walk down to the Lido Deck and walk forward to the midship elevators. But we refuse to have dinners in the traditional dining room for just this reason. I also get very claustrophic in that closed in waiting area. It's not our favorite Grand Class feature.

I certainly do appreciate your review and pictures. You addressed many of my concerns about booking the Regal. But after four cruises on the Crown and one on the Ruby, we really wanted to try a different ship. I was disappointed to see the handicapped cabins were midships and combined with the lack of stairs. I can only imagine the wait for those in wheelchairs will be considerably longer than on past cruises.

I understand there is a lower route to the theater for handicapped access. I'm hoping that the handicapped seating is not limited to those far left/right seats where stage visibility is poor.

There are four HC rooms by the forward elevators on several decks (301,302,303 & 304).

In December, 2013 we had one of those mid-ship HC cabins and we didn't have a serious problem with the elevators. Also the halls appear to be slightly wider so didn't have as much trouble getting a scooter past them as on the Grand class ships.

They also have the same access and seating in the rear of the theater as most of the other Princess ships.

Until I accidentally ran into it because I took the wrong staircase down, I didn't even know the aft dining room existed.

As the others mentioned, it's Customs and Border Protection. It was a joke I made to them when they asked me what all I purchased abroad.

Hmmm. I went to the weather tab several times and never saw that Ship Location tab. I guess my eyes just overlooked it due to the large weather icon below. Thanks. :)

We couldn't find that either and went through all the tabs ...weather was the last one. Is it possible not all tv had that?