Getting off ship at port

LMB122

Are there any tips or tricks to getting off the ship quickly or get to front of line early? Those lines in the stairwells gave me such claustrophobia last time it was horrible! Thanks!

When the ship is docked it only takes 15 minutes or so to clear the initial rush. Tender ports are much slower.

As to getting off first, you just have to get on line before everyone else. I don't know how long before the ship is cleared you would have to be at the line to get a front position.

We stay away from those mega ships that have over 5000 passengers.

And even though we have priority disembarkation at the various ports, we still wait until the rush is over.

Have you been on one of those Mega-ships? Because they have the disembarkation process down to a science, and you'd really be surprised at how efficiently they move the people along. These ships feel far less crowded than mid-sized ships.

We usually go down to the open deck and watch everyone walk off the When we notice that hardly anyone else is walking down the gangplank we'll go down and walk off to do a little shopping and sight seeing on our own.

We hardly ever do excursions anymore since we go to the same ports. Neither one of us flies, don't want to spend two or more days driving to Florida so its either New Orleans or Galveston for us. Now we are perfectly happy just to go on a cruise ship just to relax and feel spoiled for a week or two.

We stay away from those mega ships that have over 5000 passengers.

And even though we have priority disembarkation at the various ports, we still wait until the rush is over.

Not true i've been Oasis class ships 3 times and not once was there a rush to get off. These Mega Ship horror stories get to me after a while :)

This is coming from a guy who has very little patience ask my wife

If lines to disembark are still snaking through halls and stairs within a few minutes after the ship has been cleared by the local authorities, that is an issue with disorganization and mismanagement onboard (whether how the gangway is set up, or too many ship's tours being dispatched at the same time) which has no correlation with the size of the ship. I have been stuck in such a maze on ships that are the low end of mid-size (Celebrity Infinity, Norwegian Star) while having no issue walking right off from ships more than 50% larger (Queen Mary 2, Ruby Princess).

If your ship issues tender tickets, go to the distribution point about 20 minutes early to get a low number ticket. That will get you on an early tender.

Most ships I have sailed prohibit queueing up in the stairwells and require you to stay in a different area until your ticket number is called.

At ports where the ship docks, it is usually advisable to wait a few minutes after the ship is cleared and let the initial rush subside.