Narrowed down to two choices - any advice?

mouse84

Hi all! We're new to the idea of river cruising, but figured it'd be great to give it a try. We'll be celebrating our 10 yr anniversary in the next year and wanted to do something a little different than we normally would.

After reading through several threads & looking at the "new to river cruising" stickies, we've narrowed it down to AMA and Uniworld on the Rhine.

I know it's a very personalized thing - but what are the pros/cons of each? Any other advice you have about how to decide one line over the other would be great!

You can't go wrong with either choice, and they are far more alike than different in most ways. Uniworld is more inclusive, but has polarizing decor [look at their website and decide for yourself -- nobody else's opinion counts on that one]. My only personal experience is with AMA, which I thought provided an excellent product and good value. IMHO you have also picked an excellent itinerary for a first river cruise. I would suggest extending the tour to Lucerne and Zurich, either with your cruise line on DIY.

Perhaps a couple of suggestions which might make it easier to decide:

would you prefer to go upstream or downstream - presuming you will be doing the standard Amsterdam - Basel itinerary? Look at the dates that are possible for you and compare the two companies in that way.

Might you prefer an itinerary that includes the Moselle as well as the Rhine?

Any personal preferences and special interests that might set the two companies' itineraries apart from another?

One tiny but perhaps import aspect - seeing it has been mentioned on CC as a disappointment once - could be: Cologne cathedral is reserved for worshippers on Sunday mornings - that means no tours allowed inside. If you want to see it in full glory wandering around you need to be in Cologne on a different weekday or in the afternoon.

No normal shopping hours on Sundays in Germany.

Museums are closed on Mondays in Germany.

The Rhine itinerary is a very popular and I also think it is a great choice for first time cruisers.

Some cruise lines, by the way, offer special anniversary packages that you can buy in advance. Special cake and stuff... :)

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

Hi mouse84, congrats on your upcoming anniversary, and I think that a Rhine cruise is a great way to celebrate it. We thoroughly enjoyed our Rhine cruise on SS Antoinette (Uniworld) last year. It was our first European river cruise, and we just returned from our second on SS Catherine (Rhone River) a few weeks ago. I have done day-by-day itineraries for both of them - well, the Rhone one is not quite done yet...

No personal experience with AMA but a frequent poster here, caviargal, is a big fan of AMA and from her descriptions, it sounds wonderful as well. I agree with others that you would almost certainly have a great time on either line.

One good thing we've noticed about Uniworld is that they cruise Sunday-Sunday, which is very convenient for us because we're still working... So we can leave work Friday night, grab a red-eye to Europe, and arrive Saturday morning. That leaves us a day to tour and recover before boarding on Sunday. At the end of the cruise, you walk off the boat and get a morning flight home, and go to work on Monday. It is painful, but it is workable.

Without opening up the "all-inclusive" debate, Uniworld does say it's all inclusive and for the most part that is so. There are optional excursions that cost extra. There were only a few (3) on the Rhine. On the Rhone, it seemed that Uniworld had more optional excursions that they charged extra for, whereas AMA offered some of the same trips as included excursions. So that may be an important difference. If you'd rather have wine and drinks included at all times during the day but pay for a few optional excursions, Uniworld. If you don't care about paying for a few drinks, but would rather have more tours - AMA.

Which line has better food? Probably subjective... We have been very happy with Uniworld's food, both in the quality, and in how it reflects the local cuisine. The included wines are local, not fancy, but they accompany the cuisine well. I've seen comparative ratings where AMA's food is graded slightly higher than Uniworld's. Caviargal is going to be able to directly compare the two lines, but not until later this year.

In terms of the itinerary, I suggest you download the cruise companion booklet from Uniworld's website, and compare the differences between the itineraries for each direction of travel. One thing that comes to mind is the Rhine Gorge between Rudesheim and Boppard. If you go Basel-Amsterdam, you overnight in Boppard which isn't all that exciting. If you go AMS-BSL, you overnight in Rudesheim which seems like a hopping town with lots of wine bars, restaurants, and a happening nightlife. But, going AMS-BSL you're cruising against the current, so more time sailing, and less in port...

From my experience on Uniworld, and reading other posts here, I think both AMA and Uniworld consistently offer a quality product. So I think your decision should come down to whether the minor differences I've noted above make a difference to you, and perhaps each line's availability to coincide with your big celebration. I do hope you're looking for 2016, as 2015 availability may be spotty at this point in time.

is a full balcony for you.or just French? I ve traveled on both and just give a slight advantage to AMA. But ,remember, ea.ship, itinerary, etc.can determine whole package onboard. Agree with all the above comments, do lots of research,watch videos of ea.ship,etc.

Sure you ll enjoy either, very similar,but on 3 AMA cruises thought cabin(with 2 balconies, food and excursions somewhat better than Uniworld.But what I LIKE and what you do are always different.

I ve been on 11 river cruises and love to try new companies.So have been on all the major lines.Favorite right now is Scenic,but can finally afford it now.You DO GET what you pay for.

Have fun.Remember can always TRY another line for you second one.;)

We took the Uniworld Castles on the Rhine Amsterdam to Basel on the SS Antoinette last July. It sailed Sunday to Sunday which was nice as we didn't have any issues with Cathedrals being open, shopping, etc. This was our first River cruise and it was so wonderful we are hooked and have a Christmas Cruise booked for December with Uniworld and Italy next year.

Like Jazz mentioned, I don't think you can go wrong with Uniworld or Ama. Both great lines. We personally really liked the unique decor(Think France during Marie Antoinette). Certainly wouldn't decorate our home like that but fun for a week.

We also like that all gratuities are included, alcohol any time is included. I haven't sailed with Ama so can't talk first hand but all reviews are extremely positive. Uniworld is more inclusive. Don't know if you are considering a suite or not but on Uniworld does include a Butler with a suite, free laundry service, and many extras. The service on Uniworld is the best of any place I've personally been and the food was outstanding. Feel free to ask any specific questions in regards to Uniworld and there are several posters that can answer your specific questions about AMA. I think there are three key differentials between the two lines. The first is what you want included. The second is the ships themselves, and the third is cost. If you don't care about or utilize the things that Uniworld provides you will probably find AMA less expensive. If you either want the extra inclusions or don't want the hassle of paying the extras on AMA and you prefer the decor and amenities of the AMA ship over the Uniworld then you will really be happpy with Ama. However, if you will utilize the inclusions and/or don't want to be bothered with signing for a drink or having cash to tip guides, etc... and you like the unique decor of Uniworld I would choose them.

Hope this helps

Sorry. JP does a better job of posting then me and I didn't mean to just repeat what he said. He posted while I was typing

Edited by papa B me
didn't see JP's post

We originally decided on a Rhine cruise, and had our choices narrowed down to Avalon and AMA because Uniworld was out of our budget. While doing research, I discovered one of the sale offerings on Uniworld's Rhine and Moselle cruise fit into our schedule, and we were able to book a longer cruise for a lower price than either Avalon or AMA. So my point is to check out the early booking offers and whatever sales are going on if you have any flexibility in your dates. We booked in February for our August cruise, which I guess is considered late, but then in March there were some even better offers. Of course, for an anniversary trip I'm sure it's not something you want to chance waiting too long to book.

From what I've read, I agree with other posters that you can't go wrong with either cruise line. As JP noted, you can find Uniworld's Cruise Companion posted on their website to see the day-to-day tours, and I'm sure someone familiar with AMA can provide some additional information beyond their website itinerary if you have questions.

I agree with hiccups and wanted to add a few comments.

If you shop it hard enough you can sail Uniworld on some sailings for the same price as Avalon and AMA. Make sure you calculate the costs of drinks, transfers in tips when deciding.

Have done two Uniworlds and loved every minute of them. Never took out my wallet and was treated like a rock star. I am sure AMA is just as nice but the all inclusiveness is what I prefer.

I agree with hiccups and wanted to add a few comments.

If you shop it hard enough you can sail Uniworld on some sailings for the same price as Avalon and AMA. Make sure you calculate the costs of drinks, transfers in tips when deciding.

Have done two Uniworlds and loved every minute of them. Never took out my wallet and was treated like a rock star. I am sure AMA is just as nice but the all inclusiveness is what I prefer.

I am disappointed we don't have more vacation time this year, as Uniworld offered some great deals on trips later this year! The prices were lower than other lines, and then having the transfers, gratuities and spirits included added to the savings. My DH likes his Scotch :D

I am disappointed we don't have more vacation time this year, as Uniworld offered some great deals on trips later this year! The prices were lower than other lines, and then having the transfers, gratuities and spirits included added to the savings. My DH likes his Scotch :D

I actually took advantage of special rate (really special but publicly available) they had going on while I was on board last month. I booked another Uniworld for October while still on board. I had to juggle A LOT of stuff to make it happen, but I did. Two Uniworld's in one year. I got real lucky!

From my experience on Uniworld, and reading other posts here, I think both AMA and Uniworld consistently offer a quality product. So I think your decision should come down to whether the minor differences I've noted above make a difference to you, and perhaps each line's availability to coincide with your big celebration. I do hope you're looking for 2016, as 2015 availability may be spotty at this point in time.

I agree.

We really enjoy the overall experience on AMA and will be on Uniworld in July for the first time. I agree that both lines get great reviews and you really need to factor in all aspects when you make a decision.

We have now been on 9 river cruises, 5 with AMA. We generally spend 400-500 total for 2 people on gratuities ( we do the prepaid tips then tip more as we go), laundry, drinks and the 500 would include a massage, which we often have on a cruising afternoon. We have cocktails before dinner and a drink or two in the lounge after dinner. We have never booked an optional excursion as AMA includes such a wide choice of included excursions we have never found it necessary.

We really appreciate the consistently good food, nice local wines, great service, superb staff, excellent cruise managers and overall attention to detail AMA provides. Their signature artisinal cheese board at lunch and dinner is wonderful. At the welcome reception, women are greeted with a fresh red rose which is handed to you by one of the officers. At the conclusion of the cruise, there is a gift in the cabin from the cruise line. Last year they gave each of the women a lovely royal blue pashmina. The devil s in the details and we enjoy the special touches AMA offers.

I agree.

We really enjoy the overall experience on AMA and will be on Uniworld in July for the first time. I agree that both lines get great reviews and you really need to factor in all aspects when you make a decision.

We have now been on 9 river cruises, 5 with AMA. We generally spend 400-500 total for 2 people on gratuities ( we do the prepaid tips then tip more as we go), laundry, drinks and the 500 would include a massage, which we often have on a cruising afternoon. We have cocktails before dinner and a drink or two in the lounge after dinner. We have never booked an optional excursion as AMA includes such a wide choice of included excursions we have never found it necessary.

We really appreciate the consistently good food, nice local wines, great service, superb staff, excellent cruise managers and overall attention to detail AMA provides. Their signature artisinal cheese board at lunch and dinner is wonderful. At the welcome reception, women are greeted with a fresh red rose which is handed to you by one of the officers. At the conclusion of the cruise, there is a gift in the cabin from the cruise line. Last year they gave each of the women a lovely royal blue pashmina. The devil s in the details and we enjoy the special touches AMA offers.

We also received the same pashmina as did the one solo gentleman cruiser on our trip. :D Not sure what he did with his although I don't think he planned on wearing it.

Thanks everyone! We decided to go with AMA for this trip. When we took many of your suggestions into mind, as well as our research, we think they're a good fit for us & our traveling style. We did manage to get a booking for October of this year and we're SO excited about it!

I agree.

At the conclusion of the cruise, there is a gift in the cabin from the cruise line. Last year they gave each of the women a lovely royal blue pashmina. The devil s in the details and we enjoy the special touches AMA offers.

That's so nice! Do they do that for all travelers, or just returning guests?

That's so nice! Do they do that for all travelers, or just returning guests?

We were newbies and got one too :D I'm sure the gifts change from time to time so repeat guests don't get bored!

Thanks everyone! We decided to go with AMA for this trip. When we took many of your suggestions into mind, as well as our research, we think they're a good fit for us & our traveling style. We did manage to get a booking for October of this year and we're SO excited about it!

Like others have said, you can't go wrong really, all of these cruises offer excellent service, and incredible destinations. What made the difference for me was finding like minded people when ot came to activities and excursions. We enjoyed that AMA offered bike tours in nearly every port. We met many others of all ages, who like us liked to be out on a bike being active, that was important to us. Reading reviews really helped me to get a "feel" for that! For others it might be how people are responding to the food, or the onboard lectures/cultural activities.

What made the difference for me was finding like minded people when ot came to activities and excursions. We enjoyed that AMA offered bike tours in nearly every port. We met many others of all ages, who like us liked to be out on a bike being active, that was important to us. Reading reviews really helped me to get a "feel" for that!

Great point and I agree! We have found more like minded people on our AMA cruises than with the other line we traveled with. And their theme cruises are very much conducive to meeting others you will have something in common with.

AMA offers transfers for repeat guests, even if using one's own air rather than AMA's?

Starting with your third cruise, yes. We always book our own flights as AMA does not offer Virgin, our current favorite airline for transatlantic flights.