Dawn Princess May 2015 Dry Dock Singapore

Oh for a decent Aussie pie shop on the Princess ships!!!

The last two ships we have been on (Diamond & Dawn) have promoted Aussie pies in the buffet but they were nothing like the good old Aussie pies. More like those little Pommy pork pies and something else like a quiche

Oh for a good old Mrs Mac's a Vili's or something similar of which there are many to choose from from all States in Australia

After 10 days or so on board of eating the excellent MDR and other buffet food, I am really hanging out for a "real" Aussie pie and sauce

John

Yep

Mrs Mac's or Vili's would do. Harry's would be even better, or the pie shop in Adelaide [can't think of the name]. And if only they would serve, even what they pass off as a pie, HOT.

Well...thats all very well.....

but when I pay good money to go on a so called luxury cruise, I do not expect to have a pie in a plastic bag served up for lunch....If that is what I craved I would go to the foodhalll at the local Mall .

Well...thats all very well.....

but when I pay good money to go on a so called luxury cruise, I do not expect to have a pie in a plastic bag served up for lunch....If that is what I craved I would go to the foodhalll at the local Mall .

Yeah but they serve burgers and hot dogs and sandwiches and fish and chips and the like, why not some decent pies at the burger bar.

I must say that on Celebrity at Christmas they had Mrs Macs on the Buffet, just not anywhere near HOT enough.

Yep

Mrs Mac's or Vili's would do. Harry's would be even better, or the pie shop in Adelaide [can't think of the name]. And if only they would serve, even what they pass off as a pie, HOT.

On the three 'local' Princess ships, we have occasionally had a Mrs Mac pie (hot) with chips (also very hot) at the Grill. They are served on a plate and a choice of sauce is also available. They are available every day along with hot dogs, kebabs (very good) and hamburgers (not enough salad filling).

Usually we go to the dining room for lunch, for sometimes a pie & chips hits the spot for a quick lunch.:)

On the three 'local' Princess ships, we have occasionally had a Mrs Mac pie (hot) with chips (also very hot) at the Grill. They are served on a plate and a choice of sauce is also available. They are available every day along with hot dogs, kebabs (very good) and hamburgers (not enough salad filling).

Usually we go to the dining room for lunch, for sometimes a pie & chips hits the spot for a quick lunch.:)

Thanks for that haven't been on Princess for a while, so good to hear.

Re Burgers, I go the the buffett, grab the salad I want on a burger, you know lettuce, beetroot, tomato, carrot, pineapple whatever I'm in the mood for. Then get the burger and make a proper one, just can't normally get bacon and egg to go on it, let alone a scallop.

Yeah but they serve burgers and hot dogs and sandwiches and fish and chips and the like, why not some decent pies at the burger bar.

I must say that on Celebrity at Christmas they had Mrs Macs on the Buffet, just not anywhere near HOT enough.

I was on the Diamond Princess in December 2014/January 2015 and they were definitely serving Mrs Mac pies (approx 6 different flavours as well) at the Grill.

I have also been on the Aussie sun class ships over the last year, and again have seen Mrs Mac pies at the Grill.

They are definitely there if you want one.

I was on the Diamond Princess in December 2014/January 2015 and they were definitely serving Mrs Mac pies (approx 6 different flavours as well) at the Grill.

I have also been on the Aussie sun class ships over the last year, and again have seen Mrs Mac pies at the Grill.

They are definitely there if you want one.

Thank you, not sure I can go a month or two without a maggot bag.

Thank you, not sure I can go a month or two without a maggot bag.

There were Mrs Macs pies on the Dawn Princess last year, I will let you know if they still have them when I get back from my next cruise in a few weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

Please don't laugh(or do laugh;)), but when you say "pies", are you talking about the meat/veggie that is also called "Cornish pasty"? Love them, if you are! Does Dawn Princess make a GLuten Free one? Had a few made up in Cornwall. Impossible to find here in USA! Will be on Dawn shortly after dry-dock, so curious. Thx!

Please don't laugh(or do laugh;)), but when you say "pies", are you talking about the meat/veggie that is also called "Cornish pasty"? Love them, if you are! Does Dawn Princess make a GLuten Free one? Had a few made up in Cornwall. Impossible to find here in USA! Will be on Dawn shortly after dry-dock, so curious. Thx!

Or they could be similar to the British "pie" that is essentially a solid slab of meat inside a crust.

Will be on Dawn in August.

A meat pi will be a pastry shell fill\led with meat in gravy with a pastry top. And then baked The meat will vary from mince meat to chunks of beef.

A [Cornish] Pastie will be sold as just that.

A sausage roll will be sausage mince baked in pastry

A meat pi will be a pastry shell fill\led with meat in gravy with a pastry top. And then baked The meat will vary from mince meat to chunks of beef.

A [Cornish] Pastie will be sold as just that.

A sausage roll will be sausage mince baked in pastry

Thank you GUT2407- your description matches one I saw on TV the other day. I just didn't describe it well!

For sparty1 and CruiserBruce :)

Mrs Borg’s Meat Pie

2 sheet puff pastry

750gm lean mince

3 onions

1 ½ Cup beef stock

½ Cup tomato sauce

2 Tablespn worcestershire sauce

2 teaspn dried herbs

1 Tablespn dry mustard

Flour to thicken

1 egg for glaze

Heat oil in pan, add onions and cook over low heat until soft. Add meat to pan, followed by the rest of ingredients (except flour and egg glaze).

Stir well until beef mince is cooked. Stir in flour for 1 minute Bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking till liquid has evaporated.

Remove from pan and leave to cool.

Preheat oven to 220C.

Place pastry sheet into the dish and add cool filling on top. Brush pie edge with egg glaze and place the second pastry sheet over, pressing the edges gently to seal them. Cut two small slits in the pastry to allow steam to escape during baking. Brush top with egg. Bake for 15-20 min at a lowered 180C or until golden brown.

1154990284_meatpie.jpg.f645aafd7f71539e7e7076eecabce838.jpg

Edited by bubbles2014

Thanx so much for the recipe! Do you know if it will work with Gluten Free flour? With my husband's Celiac, he can no longer have these pastries unless they are made GF. I also assume if Dawn Princess has"frozen" pasties and pies, they are pre-made and regular flour used. Thx,

For sparty1 and CruiserBruce :)

Mrs Borg’s Meat Pie

One of the best meal pies I have ever eaten was on the Sapphire Princess last October during a cruise from Singapore to Beijing.

It was available at lunch time from the International Cafe, made exactly like the Aussies like it and even my wife who is not a pie eater, after trying mine was tempted to have one a two more during the cruise.

Thanx so much for the recipe! Do you know if it will work with Gluten Free flour? With my husband's Celiac, he can no longer have these pastries unless they are made GF. I also assume if Dawn Princess has"frozen" pasties and pies, they are pre-made and regular flour used. Thx,

sparty1

Never used GF flour but if you can bake with it then I see no problem :)

Edited by bubbles2014

sparty1

Never used GF flour but if you can bake with it then I see no problem :)

DD makes Pies with GF flour all the time.