Carnival Spirit running late...21 April

Just checked Marine Traffic and she is still out there.

must be pretty wild in Sydney :eek:

2cncgad.jpg

The same thing happened to us once with Pacific Sky . We had to keep circling and got in around midday. Bit of a hassle as everyone missed flights etc.......but the staff were very good and notified all the airlines . When we got to the airport they knew all about it and simply re booked us on another flight.:)

The other thing I remember with Pacific Sky was that all the luggage was stacked on the Promenade Deck the night before , ready for unloading when we docked ....The spray was breaking over the deck and we were worried that it would all get drenched.:eek:

Regarding passengers having to cancel flights, it may not be so bad as Sydney airport has cancelled many flights due to the wild weather

I hope everyone on the "Spirit" enjoyed breakfast this morning

John

Carnival have advised that she will stay out for another night. Apparently it is too dangerous for the Pilot boat to get anywhere near her, & they don't expect the weather to change in a hurry. They are in the process of advising those passengers who were due to board today.

From Carnival Australia..

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR GUESTS SAILING ON CARNIVAL SPIRIT TODAY - 21st April 2015: We are sorry to announce that Carnival Spirit will be unable to sail from Sydney today as the port of Sydney has been closed due to extreme weather and ships are not permitted to enter Sydney Harbour. The ship is currently waiting off the Heads and will arrive as soon as the port reopens.

For Guests scheduled to depart for the South Pacific on S512, the Captain is working on a revised 7-day itinerary departing tomorrow, weather permitting. The revised itinerary will visit Isle of Pines and Noumea, but not the originally scheduled port of Mare.

We are continuing to monitor the weather closely and will update guests as new information comes available.

For guests who choose to cruise, we are offering a 1-day refund and $50 onboard credit. Guests also have the option to cancel for a full refund, and can do so by calling 13 31 94 or their travel agent.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused and thank you for your understanding.

Funny how the weather is.

My cruise on the Diamond Princess Sydney to Singapore there was hardly a ripple every day. I was welcoming a few bumps but no 19 days of a millpond.

But on Carnival

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weather/sydney-storm-strands-carnival-spirit-cruise-ship-outside-sydney-harbour-20150421-1mpl4f.html

The passengers are now facing the prospect of being stuck off shore for another 48 hours, until a harbor pilot can safely board the Carnival Spirit and direct the vessel into the port.

News reports are saying there are cyclonic conditions around Newcastle area which are causing the weather in Sydney. It's really yucky out !

Yes, the news outlets are reporting category 2 cyclone conditions from the weather station just around the corner from me, which is about half way between Newcastle and Sydney. It is quite nasty here.

Going by warnings we are receiving there is still a lot more to come.

Supposed to be like this until Saturday!

Q: if you were booked to leave on Carnival Spirit today or tomorrow would you?

Even if Carnival Spirit did manage to dock, it's almost too dangerous to travel by road to the OPT at the moment, there are trees down all over Sydney. Train might be OK but there is a risk of power cuts which may affect train services.

From Carnival Australia..

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR GUESTS SAILING ON CARNIVAL SPIRIT TODAY - 21st April 2015: We are sorry to announce that Carnival Spirit will be unable to sail from Sydney today as the port of Sydney has been closed due to extreme weather and ships are not permitted to enter Sydney Harbour. The ship is currently waiting off the Heads and will arrive as soon as the port reopens.

For Guests scheduled to depart for the South Pacific on S512, the Captain is working on a revised 7-day itinerary departing tomorrow, weather permitting. The revised itinerary will visit Isle of Pines and Noumea, but not the originally scheduled port of Mare.

We are continuing to monitor the weather closely and will update guests as new information comes available.

For guests who choose to cruise, we are offering a 1-day refund and $50 onboard credit. Guests also have the option to cancel for a full refund, and can do so by calling 13 31 94 or their travel agent.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused and thank you for your understanding.

Wow - an option to cancel for a full refund. That is outstanding customer service. Other cruise lines might like to take note!

Oh goodness. I think they are showing great customer service at the moment. Offering a full refund for a weather event is top notch.

I am still selfishly crossing my fingers my cruise departing 19 May on the Spirit is hassle free.

Oh goodness. I think they are showing great customer service at the moment. Offering a full refund for a weather event is top notch.

I am still selfishly crossing my fingers my cruise departing 19 May on the Spirit is hassle free.

I know how you feel, JenJD. We watched Cyclone Pam and Cyclone Nathan storm around the South Pacific a week or so before our last cruise and were quite worried at the time. However apart from a few showers on embarkation day we had smooth seas and glorious weather. Phew! :)

Hopefully you will have a great cruise.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

ABC News just reported that the ship might be sitting off the Heads for another 48 hours - and I doubt there would be too many happy passengers in these weather conditions.

I don't think it would be very comfortable on board. :) I feel for the staff, particularly the cruise director and his staff who have to try to organise some activities, even if not many people attend.

Presumably the passengers put their luggage out on the last night (as usual), and it is now stored in the lower decks. I think it would be too difficult to take the luggage back to passengers because cases wouldn't have cabin numbers on, just the disembarkation group number. Therefore people are living for a day or two with only the few things they kept to carry off in their hand luggage.

Carnival has been superb with its offer to the people who have booked on the next cruise. :)