Oh no!!

Those are sample menus and not necessarily what you'll get on board. For instance, when they released menu for American Icon Grille, surf & turf was listed on the menu every nite--Never appeared--Only at Grande. It reminded me of when escargot were on the RCL's menus for every nite and for a long period of time simply were not available. Also, got a pleasant surprise on the last nite of our 2/2/16 cruise at Silk--Lobster tails were on the special menu.

Does the menu stay the same for every night of the cruise? Or does it change - slightly?

This sounds like mass confusion. Are all the restaurants set up identically, so that everyone from one restaurant moves on to the next restaurant the following night, then moves one more step the nest night? All of one waiters' tables then must move to the same restaurant at the same time? How is that 'choice'? And, if it's truly 'choice' as far as dining time goes, then how could they guarantee the same waiter? IF that's even close to what they're doing, why not rotate the menus from restaurant to restaurant nightly - seems an easier solution than rotating people and waiters. From what I'm reading, after our Jewel cruise next month, we will probably book elsewhere for the next year or so and let the system evolve into something a little more stable.

1) I believe that Silk, Chic and AIG are pretty much identical in layout yes, not sure about Grande

2)It's classic where the waiters and tables move, not choice

3)They can't rotate the menus and stay in the same restaurant because only about half the ship will be rotating - the rest will have booked whatever they want for what time they want. With your idea, you'd have a variety of different menus being used in the same restaurant, rather than everyone in the retsuarant having the same menu - so even more confusing.

Does the menu stay the same for every night of the cruise? Or does it change - slightly?

My comments were for the Quantum with the full DD. Mostly they stayed the same during our 11 niter. There were specials introduced in each of the restaurants. After the haggle of confirming the dining reserves, we truly enjoyed DD. The biggest problem was that the service was spotty. Some waiters were very good, others indifferent. I did find the WJ to be better than other ships that I've been on.

Ps. I love those WOW/wrist bands, I wish RCL would introduce it fleet wide. So much easier than the card.

have signed up for Dynamic Dining Choice on Harmony of the Seas.

We will only be dining in the MDR for 3 possibly 4 nights of a 7 day cruise. I'm hoping it works this way for Dynamic Dining Choice. Of course on a ship this size and as many restaurant choices, it's very possible we wont even go to the MTD.

There is no MDR on Oasis class ships. You have a selection of different restaurants. Some are included, come require an additional cover charge. No MRD = no MTD.

This sounds like mass confusion. Are all the restaurants set up identically, so that everyone from one restaurant moves on to the next restaurant the following night, then moves one more step the nest night? All of one waiters' tables then must move to the same restaurant at the same time? How is that 'choice'? And, if it's truly 'choice' as far as dining time goes, then how could they guarantee the same waiter? IF that's even close to what they're doing, why not rotate the menus from restaurant to restaurant nightly - seems an easier solution than rotating people and waiters.

It IS choice.... one of several. If you don't want a set time, set waiter and set table mates, you can go with the other DD option, where you make your own plans each night. No one is forcing you to select DD Choice.

As for why they can't just rotate the menus.... there are different galley areas for each restaurant, and each is set up for that particular restaurant's menu. Much easier to move people and waiters than to try to move food from one restaurant's galley to another restaurant's tables. Imagine the confusion in the kitchen with the scenario! :eek: Plus, not everyone dining in a given restaurant on a given night is there because of DD choice. Can you imagine trying to make a reservation for, say, Silk, and then having to figure out which restaurant is serving the Silk menu that night? Talk about mass confusion! "But this is where we came 2 nights ago when we had a "reservation for Silk." "Yes sir, but tonight the "Silk" menu is being served on deck X, where the American Icon Grill menu was being served 2 nights ago."

For those tired of this topic and complaining about it, why are you even reading it? If you feel it's all been hashed out over and over, move on and skip the DD threads. :rolleyes:

My .02: Royal can't seem to win, no matter what they do. First people complained that early seating was too early and late seating was too late, so they introduced My Time Dining. But that didn't make everyone happy, because too many people wanted it but couldn't get it because it was all booked up, or didn't want it but it's all that was left. Then of course there were scores of people whining about how it's not fair that you have to pay extra to go to specialty restaurants. So DD was introduced, essentially giving people a selection of specialty restaurants, roughly half of which are included, but that's not good enough, because then people whined about having to make reservations every night so they introduced DD Choice as an option. But apparently that's not good enough either because now people are whining about having to find a different table in a different restaurant from one night to the next, or maybe getting a dining time that doesn't work with the show schedule, or having to choose from the same restaurant menu twice in the same week (horrors!), or the lack of a ship-wide formal night (despite the fact that fewer and fewer people were really dressing formally anymore), or simply because "this isn't what we are used to!"

As has been said, if you don't like it, vote with your dollars and choose another ship or another cruise line. :)

My .02: Royal can't seem to win, no matter what they do. First people complained that early seating was too early and late seating was too late, so they introduced My Time Dining. But that didn't make everyone happy, because too many people wanted it but couldn't get it because it was all booked up, or didn't want it but it's all that was left. Then of course there were scores of people whining about how it's not fair that you have to pay extra to go to specialty restaurants. So DD was introduced, essentially giving people a selection of specialty restaurants, roughly half of which are included, but that's not good enough, because then people whined about having to make reservations every night so they introduced DD Choice as an option. But apparently that's not good enough either because now people are whining about having to find a different table in a different restaurant from one night to the next, or maybe getting a dining time that doesn't work with the show schedule, or having to choose from the same restaurant menu twice in the same week (horrors!), or the lack of a ship-wide formal night (despite the fact that fewer and fewer people were really dressing formally anymore), or simply because "this isn't what we are used to!"

As has been said, if you don't like it, vote with your dollars and choose another ship or another cruise line. :)

Like.

Like.

This will be an ongoing thing. THe point is Royal needs to stick to their guns and go dynamic all the way through, which i think this will happen surely but surely especially after they get rid of the vison class ships all others ones have enough venues to go dynamic.

People will get used to and if they dont they wont cruise there will be plenty of people lined up to take their place.

Like.

This will be an ongoing thing. THe point is Royal needs to stick to their guns and go dynamic all the way through, which i think this will happen slowly but surely especially after they get rid of the vison class ships all others ones have enough venues to go dynamic.

People will get used to and if they dont they wont cruise there will be plenty of people lined up to take their place.

This will be an ongoing thing. THe point is Royal needs to stick to their guns and go dynamic all the way through, which i think this will happen slowly but surely especially after they get rid of the vison class ships all others ones have enough venues to go dynamic.

I totally agree that Royal Caribbean should "stick to their guns" regarding Dynamic Dining. But, even though I experienced it and liked it I can understand why some people do not. Royal Caribbean evidentially took the negative feedback to heart and added Dynamic Dining Classic. The offering of the two systems should satisfy most. However, as "waterbug" said, some people will never be satisfied and might have to book elsewhere.

Even though I enjoyed Dynamic Dining on the Quantum, I doubt that it would work as well on the older, smaller ships.

Edited by beachnative

some people will never be satisfied and might have to book elsewhere.

The interesting thing to me is how few people actually do that. Some people tend to make mountains out of molehills, scream, protest, complain... and then forget about it when whatever they hate becomes old hat.

It's crazy to me. If I don't like something about a product, I don't spend my time trying to fix it. I find a new product. I might contact the company directly or just stop using the product. Although, I also use a changed product prior to claiming it ruined the entire planet, too... so there is that.

1) I believe that Silk, Chic and AIG are pretty much identical in layout yes, not sure about Grande

2)It's classic where the waiters and tables move, not choice

3)They can't rotate the menus and stay in the same restaurant because only about half the ship will be rotating - the rest will have booked whatever they want for what time they want. With your idea, you'd have a variety of different menus being used in the same restaurant, rather than everyone in the retsuarant having the same menu - so even more confusing.

The restaurants also have completely separate kitchens.

I've spent 21 days on Quantum. I never had a problem with extremely long dining times or long lines to get in. I would compare it to going to a land based restaurant. Most meals were about an hour and a half. I also never had a problem changing a dining time or restaurant when there was a show or activity that I wanted to attend. The menus in all the restaurants change half way through the cruise. This includes the apps, entrees, and desserts. Each restaurant had 2 signature choices in each category that didn't change. If I remember correctly there were 6 other entrée choices for a total of 8. I was on a 10 night and there were plenty of choices.

... Some people tend to make mountains out of molehills, scream, protest, complain... and then forget about it when whatever they hate becomes old hat.

It's crazy to me. If I don't like something about a product, I don't spend my time trying to fix it. I find a new product...

The thing is that there are people who tend to be brand-loyal, whether we are talking about peanut butter or toilet paper or cruise lines. And there are companies that make a big deal about rewarding customer loyalty with Pinnacle rewards or Elite+ designations. I.e., cruise lines. So when a cruise line, let's use RCCL as an example, stops being loyal to their longtime customers and makes significant changes to the product, those loyal customers will feel betrayed. If you find that your spouse has been cheating on you, you may be able to reconcile the differences, you may split. It is hard in either case. We have found Royal is cheating on us, violating our "loyal customer" expectations, and has shown little remorse. Will we reconcile or will we split? It is a hard choice.

In my own case I haven't been around long enough to be that loyal to Royal, and I will not attempt to adapt to their new scheme. I.e., I will not sail on their ships which do not offer me the traditional fixed-seating MDR. And as many have observed, there are numerous other options open to me on other ships, other cruise lines, and other forms of vacationing. YMMV.

Stan

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

Just back off Anthem, all reservations were in the system, no lines to get into the restaurants and longest dinner was in grande and took an hour and a half.

I heard some complaints about ling wait times in chops but we didnt go there.

Just back off Anthem, all reservations were in the system, no lines to get into the restaurants and longest dinner was in grande and took an hour and a half.

I heard some complaints about ling wait times in chops but we didnt go there.

Sounds good to me, can't wait!:)