Torn Luggage by Handling on Disembarkation Day

abisha

I'm sure this has happened a million times, but when we retrieved our luggage in customs in Ft. Lauderdale on disembarkation day, DH's luggage had two tears in the fabric done by the crew (or whomever handled it).

It's fairly new luggage, and luggage can be expensive. Would Princess even do anything about it if I contacted them?

If so, who do I contact (email? phone number?).

I took a picture of it.

I'm sure this has happened a million times, but when we retrieved our luggage in customs in Ft. Lauderdale on disembarkation day, DH's luggage had two tears in the fabric done by the crew (or whomever handled it).

It's fairly new luggage, and luggage can be expensive. Would Princess even do anything about it if I contacted them?

If so, who do I contact (email? phone number?).

I took a picture of it.

File a claim with Princess, customer relations @ Princess Cruises .com

That's why I have Eagle Creek luggage. They will repair or replace any of their luggage with no questions asked for free. A lot easier than filing a claim.

I'm about to buy some new luggage so this is good to know. Thanks Pam!

That's why I have Eagle Creek luggage. They will repair or replace any of their luggage with no questions asked for free. A lot easier than filing a claim.

So true. We just went through that when our luggage was dumped into the bay during loading.

It took at least 6 weeks. We had to file with the carrier for the dock workers first, then Princess, then our travel insurance. One of the forms wanted to know if we had filed with our homeowner's (yeah, that's gonna happen :eek:).

In the end we were reimbursed 80% for our losses. Not terribly satisfactory, but better than 0%.

Did you file a claim at the port upon noticing this? They do have a desk precisely for these incidents.

Hopefully they will not tell you that since you left the area (port) prior to reporting it, they will not take responsibility.

Check your travel insurance excesses, it might not be worth claiming. Last year one of our Samsonite suitcases a "foot" was broken which made it uneven to stand upright. Samsonite kindly found a replacement part free of charge.

Might be worth finding out if your luggage has any guarantee left, often quality cases come with a few years. Contact the manufacturers to see if they are willing to replace as it's fairly new. Good luck.

Edited by Pjran

Did you file a claim at the port upon noticing this? They do have a desk precisely for these incidents.

Hopefully they will not tell you that since you left the area (port) prior to reporting it, they will not take responsibility.

No idea where at the port to do that and not able to do that at the time. We were trying to get in and out of the customs area and into our cab to head to the airport.

Will see what Princess says.

I'm about to buy some new luggage so this is good to know. Thanks Pam!
A few years ago, I disembarked a HAL cruise only to find the extending handle broken off. I shipped it to Eagle Creek and they returned it a week later repaired and cleaned like new. My only expense was shipping it to Eagle Creek. I suppose I could have submitted a claim for that but figured it wasn't worth it for $20.

A few years ago, I disembarked a HAL cruise only to find the extending handle broken off. I shipped it to Eagle Creek and they returned it a week later repaired and cleaned like new. My only expense was shipping it to Eagle Creek. I suppose I could have submitted a claim for that but figured it wasn't worth it for $20.

Do you know of any brick and mortar stores that carry Eagle Creek luggage? I have seen it online but I'm extremely hesitant to order something I can't actually look at and check out personally.

Edit: D'Oh! Lame. I Googled it and there is a store location function for retailers of Eagle Creek luggage. Sadly I had to expand the search to 100 miles to find a retailer "in my area" but at least I found the information. I can't believe I asked such a dorky question when I know better.

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/store/storelocator.aspx

Edited by Thrak

Do you know of any brick and mortar stores that carry Eagle Creek luggage? I have seen it online but I'm extremely hesitant to order something I can't actually look at and check out personally.

Edit: D'Oh! Lame. I Googled it and there is a store location function for retailers of Eagle Creek luggage. Sadly I had to expand the search to 100 miles to find a retailer "in my area" but at least I found the information. I can't believe I asked such a dorky question when I know better.

Thanks for the link. There is one not too far from me. Will check it out soon.:):)

That's exactly why we finally broke down and purchased Briggs and Riley luggage. It's expensive but has a lifetime guaranty against damage of any kind and they have local facilities near us for repair so we don't even need to worry about shipping luggage for repair. I can't tell you how many Samsonite bags we threw away before we finally decided to go with a lifetime warranty.

FYI, I buy mine at eBags. :) I have the "Tarmac" in three sizes. Just checked eBags and it now also comes as a "spinner." My big bag is an older model and is a bright orange. VERY easy to spot from a mile away. :)

I know exactly how you feel. I asked a shop keeper if they knew the phone number of a store they were sending me to. It wasn't until I got to the car that I realised I had a functioning iphone in my pocket and could have "googled" it.