Cooking Classes

cruisevers

Cooking classes were mentioned in the Sail away gangs thread and I would like to know more about these. I always love to learn more about cooking!

Are they on all cruises? Or just longer ones? Has anyone attended one, if so how was it? Is there a minimum needed to have it or limited space? Do they fill up quickly? Etc....Thx

Our experience is that the cooking "demonstrations" are quite popular and do attract a decent crowd. I call them "demonstrations" instead of classes because you are normally going to get a lecture and demo done by either the Executive Chef or one of the other senior chefs. We like to attend some of the sessions when they are cooking something of personal interest.

Hank

In addition to the cooking demos, mentioned by Hlitner, there are cooking classes. These are limited to 12 participants and cost $29.

Check at the Front Desk after boarding and see when they are scheduled. Sometimes, they will have the menu for that class. If you are interested, sign up right away. Sometimes, there is lots of interest and sometimes there isn't. I'm not sure if they cancel due to lack of interest or just run the class with fewer people. If the Party Planner has an Open House on Embarkation Day at the Culinary Arts Centre, she'll probably have the menus there, too.

There have been some changes since I did a class. The chef divides the group into three groups, each working on one course of the meal. You'll receive the recipes and a HAL apron. You cook the meal but you can't eat what you cook (that's the change). After cooking is done, you'll go to the PG to eat the same meal but cooked by chefs in the kitchen. You'll get wine with your meal. Plan on the class taking at least two hours, including eating.

The classes, from what I understand, are now held on port days because, I was told by the Party Planner, that they don't want to tie up the Culinary Arts Centre for 12 people for 4 or so hours (including clean-up). Having the classes on port days may limit your participation due to pre-planned shore excursions.

Forgot to answer some of your other questions: Yes, they're held on all cruises, no matter the length. Of course, it does depend on availability of the chef to teach the class. Because you're split into one of three groups, it's a little hard to pay attention to what the chef is telling another group so you may not receive the instruction you're hoping for. The cooking demos may be better for that, where he/she does the cooking and provides the commentary. You will have the opportunity to ask questions at both the class or the demo.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

There are demonstrations and there are actual classes where pax prep and cook a meal. Demonstrations are free and many pax go to these. You just watch and listen to the chef.

Classes are sign up with a max of around 12 people. Check when you get onboard at front desk or Neptune concierge if you are in a Neptune suite. There was a charge, but I can't remember the $amount. You prep and cook under the supervision of the chef, eat your culinary creations for lunch, get your recipes to keep, and gifts such as an apron/ chef hat or similar. We did it and loved it! I still make my recipe for French Provencal chicken stew very often, a salad and dessert. Delicious. :) This was a few years ago, so if they have changed the procedure some one else will pop in to update.

EDIT: Alberta Quilter was posting while I was typing so I didn't see she had answered your questions.

Edited by peaches from georgia

There were no cooking "classes" on our recent cruise. This was a perk for being 5 star! On our cruise last year, we could only observe the chef making two dishes that would be on the menu we would eat in the Pinnacle. The last time I checked the 5-star list, cooking classes were no longer listed. :(

Edited by bobpatj
change wording

There were no cooking "classes" on our recent cruise. This was a perk for being 5 star! On our cruise last year, we could only observe the chef making two dishes that would be on the menu we would eat in the Pinnacle. The last time I checked the 5-star list, cooking classes were no longer listed. :(

I hope our cruise has it and it is open to all. I will check with the concierge when we board. I would love to participate. Thanks to all for responding!

The classes are usually on sea days and are limited to 12 people. If not enough people sign up for it, it is cancelled.

We had something strange happen on our last cruises. We are 5 star Mariners and are entitled to take the cooking class for free. The first day we were on the ship, we got a call from the Culinary Cooking Host who said that they had reserved 2 places for us for the cooking class. We told her that we were not interested. The class was to be from Noon until 3 PM. We were on the Zuiderdam.

I just looked on the HAL site. Under Mariner Society: Rewards and also Benefits Overview ----- the Cooking Class is still listed as a 5 star reward.

My impression is that some ships do not want to do the Classes.

I noted on the other thread that one Class was cancelled because not enough signed up. In this case there was no mention in the daily program whatsoever (I read every word, every day). Certainly some will know about Classes, lots won't. If you don't advertise, I can see why not enough sign up.

Some ships do them and some don't, especially on 7 day cruises.

I love these classes! I have quite a collection of aprons (you get a new one at every class). Once I got a chef's hat. That said it was a $29 fee. As soon as I boarded the ship I went to the front desk and signed up. It is Chef's choice as to the menu.

You will be given all the menu cards. They usually give you two sets, one to keep and stay clean and one that will look like your favorite cookbook after the class.;)

At that time you break into different groups to prepare the menu. I like to jump into a group doing something that will challenge me...I love to cook!!

We have had wine served during the cooking a few times and others not. As PO said you will not eat what you cook, something about health regulations. But one time we were doing this delish shrimp dish and those shrimp were the best I had seen on the cruise. Our dish looked good,:) smelled good, :)and when Chef left the area we all took a taste!!! I think he knew;)

We did good, they could have served it in the PG for lunch. Just couldn't stand to think they were going to dump it in the garbage.

After class you go to the PG and they serve you the prepared menu with wine. It is so beautifully plated and served. If you decide to do this class...eat very light at B'fast and DO NOT go to lunch prior.

Bon Appetit

My impression is that some ships do not want to do the Classes.

I noted on the other thread that one Class was cancelled because not enough signed up. In this case there was no mention in the daily program whatsoever (I read every word, every day). Certainly some will know about Classes, lots won't. If you don't advertise, I can see why not enough sign up.

Some ships do them and some don't, especially on 7 day cruises.

I have heard the same comment about the Chef's Table dinners. That is something DH and I like to do while on a cruise. I have been reading that on some HAL cruises it doesn't take place at all because not enough people sign up, yet people also say that there was absolutely no word put out anywhere regarding the Chef's Table. As such most people didn't even know about the Chef's Table. It's weird that there is not more effort to put the word out about special events like these on cruises, you'd think they would at least mention it early on in the daily program sheets they hand out. It would give people time to see what's in store and get interested. NCL has the upsell down to a science and they advertise everything ad nauseum in their Freestyle daily. Trust me, if it has a fee attached, they want pax to be aware it's taking place lol ;).

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl

I have heard the same comment about the Chef's Table dinners. That is something DH and I like to do while on a cruise. I have been reading that on some HAL cruises it doesn't take place at all because not enough people sign up, yet people also say that there was absolutely no word put out anywhere regarding the Chef's Table. As such most people didn't even know about the Chef's Table. It's weird that there is not more effort to put the word out about special events like these on cruises, you'd think they would at least mention it early on in the daily program sheets they hand out. It would give people time to see what's in store and get interested. NCL has the upsell down to a science and they advertise everything ad nauseum in their Freestyle daily. Trust me, if it has a fee attached, they want pax to be aware it's taking place lol ;).

Lorie

I agree completely.

Some HAL ships do advertise the Cooking Classes, Le Cirque, Chef's Table.

I haven't kept track, of course, but I think the longer cruises do this better.

We do mostly longer cruises, but we also do a lot of 7 days back-to-back Alaska cruise and I know from annual experience that Le Cirque is usually the only thing the ships advertise.

As you say, if there is a fee attached, you would think they would want to advertise and do it. Maybe not. I find it hard to believe that on ships of 1300 and up pax, there aren't a couple of dozen who want to do these things!

Of course it isn't easy to squeeze everything into a few sea days, but some ships manage to! Probably the decision of the HM. Maybe they just don't think he revenue is worth the bother.