Please tell me about the hand sanitizer squad!

ExpatBride

First off I am not a Doctor nor do I play one while cruising on the Love Boat !

Some ships have the sanitizers in the rest rooms and for others protocol hints

at taking a paper towel and using it to open the exit door by its handle and

then deposit the towel in the small trash basket close by while leaving without

further touching the door. Some have air dryers which is great but you still

need to find a way to open the exit door keeping the touch to a minimum.

Except for these rest room doors and your cabin door a great many doors on

modern ships are automatically opened for you.

For some just using your arm will keep the contact to the hands at a minimum.

Elevator buttons could be a problem but I make it habit to use the back of

hand (knuckle) to press the button.

I see no reason to use the hand sanitizers excessively.

Yes on larger ships the potential for contact with germs and viruses could be

greater but after a few days at seas observing the passengers sailing with

you and noting the number of people coughing and wheezing and whatever

gives you an alarming sense of your exposure to the BUG will give you a

feeling for just how exposed you are and the need for protection. Try and

stay clear of folks who exhibit symptoms of ill health.

If you have a low immunity threshold to germs use the sanitizers often and

if not don't take more medicine that is not necessary.

When walking about the ship it is not necessary to 'Washy washy' at every

point only the last point before eating or using a facility.

On getaway, there's a few sinks in the buffet entrances for you to use. Water, soap and paper towels are all automatic too! I prefer to use soap and water than get sprayed.

Aren't they great? Of course you have to get by the sanitizer gal first.:D

Well I have a big tahitian pearl and Diamond ring, and there is no way that hand sanitizer is Good for pearls .

No way! I have a 1960s diamond and pearl cocktail ring that I often wear on my right hand, and that one is definitely staying at home. Pearls need to be pampered. Your ring sounds lovely!

Edited by ExpatBride

Wow, those articles are eye opening. Always thought the alcohol killed everything.

Aren't they great? Of course you have to get by the sanitizer gal first.:D

We sailed the Breakaway twice and noticed the sinks next to the elevators with the singing Washy Washy crew & the spray bottle, except that the only person we saw using it to wash n dry was a uniformed crew member, everyone else - I mean, really, everyone else just walked right past the sink while we're standing around waiting for the rest of our party to show up as they're coming from different decks. Coming out of the elevators, if you turn toward AFT and go thru the side entrances into the buffet on the BA, there's nobody there "guarding" or on "patrol" or otherwise attempting to spray. Last month, I was don't to just one solo crew member - perhaps it's because the overall threat index for Noro was low for that period.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2014%20NCL%20BA/SDC10666.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2014%20NCL%20BA/VLCs-2014-03-25-GC-Wash-W.jpg

That's just for the Garden Cafe/buffet - what about the MDR's and all those specialty restaurants - haven't seen them lately, the "squads" seemed to have been reassigned to other duties, unless there's a suspected or signs of a pending outbreak.

Don't worry & be happy !

Something else that no one else has mentioned.....depending on the ports you are going to, I would not wear them off the ship in 3rd world countries....most of the Western Caribbean, it would not be a good idea to "flash" around diamonds that large...in fact, a lot of the cities in the US could be a problem too, but places that have nothing, not a good place to wear expensive jewelry of any kind....I leave mine at home or if I have to take them along, leave them in the safe when leaving the ship...just saying...:)

For those who are interested : Here's a link to the EPA for approved disinfectants effective against the noro virius

US Environmental Protection Agency

Office of Pesticide Programs

List G: EPA Registered Hospital Disinfectants

Effective Against Norovirus (Norwalk-like virus) dated October 2014

http://www.epa.gov/oppad001/list_g_norovirus.pdf

Something else that no one else has mentioned.....depending on the ports you are going to, I would not wear them off the ship in 3rd world countries....most of the Western Caribbean, it would not be a good idea to "flash" around diamonds that large...in fact, a lot of the cities in the US could be a problem too, but places that have nothing, not a good place to wear expensive jewelry of any kind....

Of course not, but I'm going to Norway, so I should be fine :)

Edited by ExpatBride

For those who are interested : Here's a link to the EPA for approved disinfectants effective against the noro virius

How dare you enter this thread with actual facts? Don't you know the experts have already made their pronouncements here? You should be ashamed of yourself. :)

Edited by norway olin

It is not just NCL. The other lines have the sanitizer police, especially RCCL. If I were the OP I would leave the antique rings at home rather than risk losing them with all of the on/off she will be doing.

I wear my Grandmother's wedding set from 1919 every day and the sanitizer did nothing to harm it. My jeweler says the Platinum bands are pretty much indestructible and the sanitizer doesn't hurt the diamonds.

That can't be right. I read on Cruise Critic that sanitizers are not effective against noro virus. Who is this EPA anyway?

How dare you enter this thread with actual facts? Don't you know the experts have already made their pronouncements here? You should be ashamed of yourself. :)

Thank you--- I needed that laugh.

now i have to explain the next post as to who is the EPA

Does NCL have hot and cold water handles in public bathrooms? I very much appreciated that RCCL only has one handle and it's always warm water- insuring that people in public places are at least washing the virus down with the water. I mean, you obviously still have to be careful about what you touch, but at least you know the people washing their hands in those public restrooms are OK.

NEVER touch your face without washing your hands on a cruise ship. It's a hard habit to break... but it's better than ruining your vacation!

Edited by Bluefox

Does NCL have hot and cold water handles in public bathrooms? I very much appreciated that RCCL only has one handle and it's always warm water- insuring that people in public places are at least washing the virus down with the water. I mean, you obviously still have to be careful about what you touch, but at least you know the people washing their hands in those public restrooms are OK.

NEVER touch your face without washing your hands on a cruise ship. It's a hard habit to break... but it's better than ruining your vacation!

It might be ship dependant but on breakaway, all the public sinks were automatic so there were no handles.

Edited by cruisewingman