What motivates you to cruise?

Huge favor!:)

My name is Anne and for my bachelor thesis I am investigating the 'Travel Motivations of elderly segments going on cruise' with specific attention to the destination Curaçao. In doing so, to better understand tourists and their behaviors I would highly appreciate your help. Below you can click on the link, which will forward you to the questionnaire. It should only take 4-5 minutes to complete and your answers will be kept confidential.

Link: https://nhtv.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_3CaEHl5eFAGDOux

Kind regards,

Anne

"Elderly Segments!" I guess if the shoe fits :). But one cannot help but admire the political/demographic correctness of modern terminology. We would expand on the survey by mentioning that as frequent travelers (6 to 7 months a year) who have been to hundreds of destinations on 6 Continents....we would never book a cruise because it either went to or did not go to Curacao. When we go to the Caribbean it is for the sun, sand, and relaxation and the ports are actually secondary to simply being on a cruise ship. When we vacation in the Caribbean it is on islands that provide lots of decent dining options which, for us, means places like St Maarten or Aruba.

Hank

Prior to retirement it was for a sun vacation well away from our winters.

Now that we are retired, cruises serve as add on to our usual land based vacations. Not unusual for us to add one or two, often last minute cruises, to a planned land trip. We keep our schedule very flexible.

Your survey seems to cover ages 50 and over. But 50 is not elderly nowadays. Generally, in the US, elderly is around 65 plus, and even that definition is getting to be questionable as people are living much, much longer.

I think that you idea that people select Caribbean cruises to visit a specific island is flawed and this is going to be a problem for you in defending your thesis. I like Curacao and have been there several times, but I don't pick any of my Caribbean cruises based on going to any specific island in the Caribbean. Caribbean cruises are all about relaxation, seeing the water, going to a beach, any beach and there is also another attraction to the Caribbean cruises which is the new Mega-ships which are a destination in and of themselves. Sometimes we choose a cruise without any consideration for the destinations because we want to experience a certain mega ship. (RCCL Allure and Oasis, NCL Getaway, Breakaway and Epic, to name a few) In fact the ONLY reason I have ever done a cruise that went to Curacao is that it was included in an itinerary to transit the Panama Canal. The Panama Canal was the sole reason for selecting the cruise, not any of the islands. The fact is most of the islands are more alike than different.

Not sure what elderly segments means, but 50 ain't elderly.

A quite interesting definition was recently offered in a newspaper here (UK) - that the start of "old age" is when you are entering your last 15 years. On average, the lifespan for a man in the UK is around 89, so one is starting to enter old age around 74.

A couple of generations ago, 50 could well have been "elderly" as many wouldn't live much past 65, and in the 1870s half would die before they were adults, and of those who survived childhood, 70% wouldn't see 60.

A quite interesting definition was recently offered in a newspaper here (UK) - that the start of "old age" is when you are entering your last 15 years. On average, the lifespan for a man in the UK is around 89, so one is starting to enter old age around 74.

A couple of generations ago, 50 could well have been "elderly" as many wouldn't live much past 65, and in the 1870s half would die before they were adults, and of those who survived childhood, 70% wouldn't see 60.

I don't know where you got 89 as the average life expectancy for a UK man - 79 would be nearer the mark.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/lifetables/national-life-tables/2011-2013/stb-uk-2011-2013.html

Not sure what elderly segments means, but 50 ain't elderly.

Survey, done.

I would be careful about the term 'elderly'--really, 50 and above is not elderly! I'm almost 70 but don't consider myself elderly--just wait until you are there.

I think most people think elderly is at least 10 years older than they are--for me, that's 80!