Royal free coffee in the morning?

Quince

They more than just regular brewed coffee. They are actually a bar and coffee shop. They sell lattes , soda and smoothies as well.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Fully understand that. However, I am asking why IC doesn't have free coffee. Do you know why they don't offer free coffee?

If you make people PAY for something, they believe it to be better than what's "free"...take bottled water! It comes from a tap, just like water anywhere, yet folks actually PAY money for it! Same thing with coffee....

So, charging for things that are free elsewhere gives them a kick to their bottom line!

You are right. People love to pay for anything. We are very gullible. However, you would think that coffee (fresh brewed) would be free, regardless.

Its our first time on Princess. My husband is a very early riser, and wants coffee ASAP. Where can he find a free cup, other than the buffet and waiting for room service? Thanks

Not sure why you have excluded the buffet area. On almost all ships coffee in the buffet is the same as coffee in the DR and room service. If you are the Royal or Regal Princess the buffet will have coffee that is brewed from fine coffee that is in the top of the coffee machine. These machines are located in a number locations in the buffet area. If you are on any other ship the coffee in the buffet is prepared from a liquid coffee concentrate. Most ships have an International Cafe that is open 24/7, but I'm not certain if the coffee bar portion is open all night. While the coffee bar is adjacent to the International they are really two separate departments. Brewed coffee is not free at the coffee bar, however, if you purchase a coffee card, $31, it contains punches for 15 espresso drinks and includes unlimited brewed coffee for the cruise. I know of no other places except the Buffet, Coffee Bar(s), DR/Restaurants and Room Service where coffee is available.

Why isn't coffee free at the IC? Is this really a big cost or really would affect 'bottom line/profit?'

The IC coffee , just like the Speciality Resturant's , is for those that wish something a little better , and are willing to pay for it .

What is wrong with that?

The IC coffee , just like the Speciality Resturant's , is for those that wish something a little better , and are willing to pay for it .

What is wrong with that?

Really if you have to ask what is wrong with that, paying for a cup of coffee, what can anyone say. So, we are paying for a cruise and they can't give you a better cup of coffee? LOL

I will get to the bottom of this after-hours coffee mystery on the Star in a few weeks.;)

I'm a coffee any-time-of-day person while on vacation. I'll report back on what I find. Just in case, I'll plan to take a few Starbucks Via instant coffee sticks in anticipation of free 24-hour hot water someplace on the ship.

Really if you have to ask what is wrong with that, paying for a cup of coffee, what can anyone say. So, we are paying for a cruise and they can't give you a better cup of coffee? LOL

Many guests are perfectly satisfied with the free coffee @ the Lido .

That goes for the food & service in the Main Dining rooms .

Edited by MCC retired

Many guests are perfectly satisfied with the free coffee @ the Lido .

That goes for the food & service in the Main Dining rooms .

So, what is your point? The point for me is FREE coffee in the IC because you said it was better than the other coffee served in other places. Why do we have to accept lesser quality coffee or pay for the 'BETTER?'

I will get to the bottom of this after-hours coffee mystery on the Star in a few weeks.;)

I'm a coffee any-time-of-day person while on vacation. I'll report back on what I find. Just in case, I'll plan to take a few Starbucks Via instant coffee sticks in anticipation of free 24-hour hot water someplace on the ship.

You might need them since the last time we were on the Star they still had that vile liquid coffee. Maybe they switched to the machines like on the Regal and Royal.

No they have not switched. Was on the Star in March

I sort of suspected that they didn't as it looked like a major change to do while the ship was in service.

Hopefully with the reputation the cruise line has for bad coffee they'll change all the ships to be like the Royal & Regal.

Its our first time on Princess. My husband is a very early riser, and wants coffee ASAP. Where can he find a free cup, other than the buffet and waiting for room service? Thanks

Short answer to original question - nowhere.

The buffet and room service are the only places to get free coffee before the dining rooms open.

The rest of the postings are suggestions to help you get around your problem.

The coffee from the IC is "free" after you buy the coffee card.

Edited by chamima

On the Royal the regular coffee is free at the IC until 6 AM. After that they'll ask you if you have a coffee card.

I believe the setup on deck 15 aft also has coffee/tea all hours of the night but I'm not certain.

On the Royal the regular coffee is free at the IC until 6 AM. After that they'll ask you if you have a coffee card.

I believe the setup on deck 15 aft also has coffee/tea all hours of the night but I'm not certain.

Forgot about that aft, outside area.(Behind the Horizon Court, through the doors and outside on (I think) the port side.)

I found it near the end of our cruise.

• 4 weeks later...
The buffet opens at 5:30am with free coffee.

Is this fresh brewed coffee and not the coffee made from syrup (never heard of this before) and if so, could I take a carafe with me and fill it? TIA Also can ?I? get half and half with coffee?

Edited by TXRed

Is this fresh brewed coffee and not the coffee made from syrup (never heard of this before) and if so, could I take a carafe with me and fill it? TIA Also can ?I? get half and half with coffee?
Rather than the syrup based coffees on the other Princess ships, the Royal and Regal have coffee brewers in the HC. I'm a tea drinker but DW thought the HC coffee was pretty good. Edited by IECalCruiser

Rather than the syrup based coffees on the other Princess ships, the Royal and Regal have coffee brewers in the HC. I'm a tea drinker but DW thought the HC coffee was pretty good.

Thanks....we will be on the Rudy to Alaska in September. We like GOOD coffee, not anything fancy just good coffee. We use a percolator at home. I hate to think of paying $60.00 for my DH and I for good coffee. It seems like Princess would/should serve good coffee in all outlets.

I haven't sail on Princess for a few years, and wondering if the coffee at the buffet still as horrible as used to be few years back?

It's impvoved considerable although still to strong for me. My husband like it though.

You did, there's always one coffee station open in the HC during the over night hours . Always

Srpilo

I though so. I always went to the IC for my coffee since the guys down there knew just how I liked it.

So from reading this thread (I am sailing on Royal Princess soon) they:

1. do halfway decent coffee for room service now (that syrup coffee was rough)

2. do not have coffee makers in the cabin (balcony)

3. coffee cards are cheaper if pre-bought (and good for gelato as well?)

4. Can we buy 1 coffee card between us or is that a no-no? (I think I probably know the answer to this one already but thought I'd ask anyway:D)

So from reading this thread (I am sailing on Royal Princess soon) they:

1. do halfway decent coffee for room service now (that syrup coffee was rough)

Yes

2. do not have coffee makers in the cabin (balcony)

No

3. coffee cards are cheaper if pre-bought (and good for gelato as well?)

Not sure on this one. I always use OBC to get them and that has to be used on board. Yes for the Gelato question.

4. Can we buy 1 coffee card between us or is that a no-no? (I think I probably know the answer to this one already but thought I'd ask anyway:D)

Surprise - yes you can! :D

The coffee card is supposed to be mostly for punches for specialty coffees and Gelato.

Since each of those is a punch it doesn't matter how many people are using it.

If you are using it to just get the freshly brewed, however (which is "free" with the card and doesn't use any punches), the staff member might only be willing to make one at a time.

Edited by chamima