Disability scooters

tommui987

General question about mobility scooters. Are they heavy? Can they handle cobblestones, rocky walkways, inclines, downhills?

I have mobility issues - age also a factor (81-years) - I can walk with a walker or cane for short distances (maybe 50 yards).I do use either the walker or cane to get around a mid-size cruise ship.

I do rely on wheelchair to get to and from planes and ship.

I would use the scooter only off the ship.

I have posted this question in the Disability Cruise section but as I like to travel on HAL, I thought I would ask for HAL cruisers their experience with disability scooters.

Edited by tommui987

I think it's going to depend on your ports, as to how well a scooter will work. Outside of America, there are no ADA rules! Few, if any, curb cuts...some places have no sidewalks...it's certainly not like navigating around our own country.

CB at sea,

Sorry but what you are saying is completely untrue.

Are you that naïve that you think that other countries do not have regulations to aid the less mobile?!

Western and Central Europe, Australia, Canada, Japan, etc. All have as good or better facilities for the less mobile, and guess what, although we do not give one damn about US ADA rules, we have our own.

That does not mean that we can not improve. A lot more work is still to be done to facilitate better our mobility challenged citizens.

Here in Europe, having to deal with centuries old streets and buildings, often protected, does complicate accessability occasionally, but our laws are strict.

If you've cruised before I assume you know that you can request wheelchair assistance for embarkation and disembarkation? Wheelchairs or Scooters while cruising are the responsibility of the passenger but they will provide the wheelchair and a "pusher" for embarkation and disembarkation process allowing the person with disabilities to avoid climbing or descending the long ramps.

Quoted from HAL FAQ's

It is recommended that guests make every effort to contact our Access & Compliance Department and to submit a Special Requirements Information (SRI) Form well in advance of the departure of their cruise and/or cruisetour. We recommend submitting an SRI upon booking or a minimum of 45 days prior to departure.

A little bit verbose, but my question is what is the experience of HAL-cruisers using mobility scooters on surfaces such as cobblestones, rocky pathways, inclines, downhill etc.

Hi there,

I can answer 99.99% of your questions.

I use Special Needs at Sea http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/reserve-equipment/scooter-rentals/ to reserve my Standard sized, 125 lb scooter. It can handle up to a 149lb person 72660191_Scooter20Standard.jpg.3b8d106792c97667ee9be4c64b1f061e.jpg

The Heavy Duty and Geriatric scooters are heavier and can hold a 349 lb and 500 lb person respectively.

All 3 of the scooters do fit through HAL Doorways, no matter the category stateroom, BUT depending on your stateroom may not fit in the stateroom itself due to the size of the stateroom.

You can also contact CareVacations https://www.carevacations.com/special-needs/products/c/mobility-scooters-for-adults/ also have the same scooters and are equally as good as Special Needs at Sea.

Both Companies are the only Companies allowed to provide scooters and other medical equipment to the ship for passengers. They will each deliver to your stateroom or if they have a Kiosk outside the terminal (Ft Lauderdale is one example) you can pick it up there.

As to sidewalks, roadways, etc., it really depends upon where you are going. US Ports of course do have sidewalks and cutouts for riding on, though some are narrow and able bodied people AND Vendors can at times make things difficult for us to get around:(

Some Caribbean ports do not have sidewalks or cut outs and some have streets with cobblestones. Some do not...........

Of the main Caribbean Islands I've been to (Most of them actually)

St Lucia did not have sidewalks with cut outs, so once you were on the sidewalk you could not get off. The streets were to scarey for even me to drive my scooter on..... The situation may have changed since we were there in December 2010. I say this because we were one of the first Cruise ships to stop there and they were trying to get the treasury built up to fix the roads etc.

Martinque did have sidewalks (sometimes) and the streets were both paved and cobblestones...Let me tell you this though... I would happily drive my scooter on any street in Martinique!!! The drivers there are not road hogs and were particularly kind to me on my scooter:) I LOVED Martinique:D

Most of the other Islands were well paved and sidewalks were good though I cannot remember who all had cut outs and who did not, except for the 2 I listed above.

Also, Mexican Riviera no cutouts and no sidewalks for scooters in Puerto Vallarta or Cabo, or at least not the parts where the ships docked. I ended up staying on the ship in those ports.

It has been way to many years since I've been to Europe so will not even attempt to tell you what they are like.

Going Downhill and Uphill is FUN!!! Especially using the ramps/gangways in ports:) Seriously!!! The scooter I rent travels at about 7 mph and going off the ship the ramp can be pretty steep for a first time user. The hardest part is getting over the bumps/lips onto/off the ship and then again at the bend of the ramp (when they have a bend.)

HAL will have 2 crew members assist you down the ramp (or up) and while one does the steering and controls the speed (Snail setting) the other will be at your back holding onto or pushing the scooter. Hope that makes sense...

Uphill and downhill on a scooter are no problems:)

Just make sure you charge your scooter each night!! IF it does not fit in your stateroom you can arrange with the Stateroom Steward, Front Desk or Neptune Lounge Concierge to have it taken each evening to a location set aside for just such contingencies, where they will charge it for you, and also arrange for you to get it back whenever you are ready for it. Again I hope that makes sense.

Hope these are answers that can help you out:)

Joanie

You did answer most of my concerns - thank you so much.

Tom

Joanie - thank you for such a detailed answer! I've been wondering about this myself.

Very happy that I could answer the questions:)

Been there, done that with no CC to help me because I'd not heard of CC until after our 2nd cruise.

And for the record, I use my Scooter on the ship also. The only time I have any trouble on the ship is getting over the hump/lip to go out onto the Promenade Deck. I go out for Muster Drill at least 15 minutes early and wait at the Mid Ship doors for at least 2 people to come by so I can ask them to hold both sets of doors open so that I can go over the hump/lip at an angle at a bit of speed. I have to take it at an angle and speed in order to make it over the bump/lip.

The other problem comes after the Muster Drills when able bodied passengers push their way to the front of the line for the elevators and we in scooters, walkers and wheel chairs are looked at like..."You can wait..." I saw a couple of younger folks literally elbow 2 elderly ladies from the front of the line and got mad enough to raise a slight ruckus and asked for assistance from one of the staff with vests on. That Woman did her job and made all the able bodied step back and directed those with mobility problems to the front. I Loved that girl!!

Joanie

I use Special Needs at Sea http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/reserve-equipment/scooter-rentals/ to reserve my Standard sized, 125 lb scooter. It can handle up to a 149lb person [ATTACH]347536[/ATTACH]

The Heavy Duty and Geriatric scooters are heavier and can hold a 349 lb and 500 lb person respectively.

All 3 of the scooters do fit through HAL Doorways, no matter the category stateroom, BUT depending on your stateroom may not fit in the

[/b]

Please take this as I intend -- I am trying to be helpful, and these details seem to matter. I have no experience with scooters, but, being curious, I clicked on the link that Joannie thoughtfully and helpfully provided. According to the linked page:

The standard scooter can handle up to 249 pounds.

The scooter that can handle up to 500 pounds is called the bariatric scooter.

The bariatric scooter can fit through the doorways only on wheelchair accessible cabins.

Hi there,

I can answer 99.99% of your questions.

I use Special Needs at Sea http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/reserve-equipment/scooter-rentals/ to reserve my Standard sized, 125 lb scooter. It can handle up to a 149lb person [ATTACH]347536[/ATTACH]

All 3 of the scooters do fit through HAL Doorways, no matter the category stateroom, BUT depending on your stateroom may not fit in the stateroom itself due to the size of the stateroom.

You can also contact CareVacations https://www.carevacations.com/special-needs/products/c/mobility-scooters-for-adults/ also have the same scooters and are equally as good as Special Needs at Sea.

Both Companies are the only Companies allowed to provide scooters and other medical equipment to the ship for passengers. They will each deliver to your stateroom or if they have a Kiosk outside the terminal (Ft Lauderdale is one example) you can pick it up there.

As to sidewalks, roadways, etc., it really depends upon where you are going. US Ports of course do have sidewalks and cutouts for riding on, though some are narrow and able bodied people AND Vendors can at times make things difficult for us to get around:(

Some Caribbean ports do not have sidewalks or cut outs and some have streets with cobblestones. Some do not...........

Of the main Caribbean Islands I've been to (Most of them actually)

St Lucia did not have sidewalks with cut outs, so once you were on the sidewalk you could not get off. The streets were to scarey for even me to drive my scooter on..... The situation may have changed since we were there in December 2010. I say this because we were one of the first Cruise ships to stop there and they were trying to get the treasury built up to fix the roads etc.

Martinque did have sidewalks (sometimes) and the streets were both paved and cobblestones...Let me tell you this though... I would happily drive my scooter on any street in Martinique!!! The drivers there are not road hogs and were particularly kind to me on my scooter:) I LOVED Martinique:D

Most of the other Islands were well paved and sidewalks were good though I cannot remember who all had cut outs and who did not, except for the 2 I listed above.

Also, Mexican Riviera no cutouts and no sidewalks for scooters in Puerto Vallarta or Cabo, or at least not the parts where the ships docked. I ended up staying on the ship in those ports.

It has been way to many years since I've been to Europe so will not even attempt to tell you what they are like.

Going Downhill and Uphill is FUN!!! Especially using the ramps/gangways in ports:) Seriously!!! The scooter I rent travels at about 7 mph and going off the ship the ramp can be pretty steep for a first time user. The hardest part is getting over the bumps/lips onto/off the ship and then again at the bend of the ramp (when they have a bend.)

HAL will have 2 crew members assist you down the ramp (or up) and while one does the steering and controls the speed (Snail setting) the other will be at your back holding onto or pushing the scooter. Hope that makes sense...

Uphill and downhill on a scooter are no problems:)

Just make sure you charge your scooter each night!! IF it does not fit in your stateroom you can arrange with the Stateroom Steward, Front Desk or Neptune Lounge Concierge to have it taken each evening to a location set aside for just such contingencies, where they will charge it for you, and also arrange for you to get it back whenever you are ready for it. Again I hope that makes sense.

Hope these are answers that can help you out:)

Joanie

Our neighbors next to us on the Nieuw did the same B2B Carribean cruise and he had the same company for his scooter and loved it!! We would see him around especially happy hour at the Oceans Bar LOL.! He said this company was the best! He parked his scooter out side his door when not in use.

Our neighbors next to us on the Nieuw did the same B2B Carribean cruise and he had the same company for his scooter and loved it!! We would see him around especially happy hour at the Oceans Bar LOL.! He said this company was the best! He parked his scooter out side his door when not in use.

We did this for several days and then one morning it was missing. We learned that no scooters could be parked in the hallways or by the elevators.

A little bit verbose, but my question is what is the experience of HAL-cruisers using mobility scooters on surfaces such as cobblestones, rocky pathways, inclines, downhill etc.

Most important you will need a scooter suitable for your size, also I would NOT advise a three wheel scooter for rough or rocky ground and inclines.

A total no no.

Causes danger if they need to vacate surrounding cabins, trying to get through the corridor becomes impossible.

It specifically says in the cruise documents that scooters are not to be parked in the halls or elevator lobbies. It's probably considered rude here on the board, but I call the front desk if I experience one routinely parked in the hall or elevator lobby.

Your neighbor should not be doing that!!

It makes it very hard for those of us who use walkers and scooters to get by.

Our TA fills out a form to arrange wheel chair assistance to get me on and off the ships.

I rent a walker/rollator from Care Vacations -- one of the companies recommended by HAL. They also rent scooters.

No matter what company you use to rent a scooter, be sure that you make arrangements about 4 - 6 weeks before the cruise. Don't wait until the last minute.

Please take this as I intend -- I am trying to be helpful, and these details seem to matter. I have no experience with scooters, but, being curious, I clicked on the link that Joannie thoughtfully and helpfully provided. According to the linked page:

The standard scooter can handle up to 249 pounds.

The scooter that can handle up to 500 pounds is called the bariatric scooter.

The bariatric scooter can fit through the doorways only on wheelchair accessible cabins.

No offense taken:)

You are correct in not only the weight the Standard Scooter can handle, 249lbs as opposed to my statement of 149lbs (hit the #1 instead of 2:o) but also Bariatric instead of Geriatric.... DUH!!! Can we say Joanie was quite blond and showing her age yesterday?:D

I really do appreciate that you followed up and gave the correct info:)

IMPORTANT Note: NEVER, NEVER, EVER park the scooter in a hallway at anytime!!! Not only is it not allowed by the cruise lines, but it also is an extreme danger to all passengers in the case of an emergency. Add to that the fact that it makes it nigh unto impossible to others in mobility vehicles such as walkers, scooters wheelchairs, etc., to use the hallways and get around the parked scooter....

I learned the hard way not to park my scooter in an elevator bank next to an electrical outlet beside a bench on one of our cruises, as advised by my Stateroom Steward, overnight to charge. Seemed like a great solution since we were in a verandah stateroom on deck 8 on Nieuw Amsterdam and the scooter had no room to park it inside....

Long Story short...the 2nd night Security came and took it away and stored it in Housekeeping and I was in a panic to find at 3:00am that it was missing....

I was informed by Security, when they brought it to me, of the reasons it was removed and never ever park it anywhere outside of my stateroom and to call the Concierge or Front Desk for someone to come and get it so they could take it and store for safekeeping until I needed it the next morning.

Joanie

Your neighbor should not be doing that!!

It makes it very hard for those of us who use walkers and scooters to get by.

Goodmorning KK!

You know we wondered that also, but did not want to make waves or cause problems. Our steward never said he could not park his scooter out side his door when we asked about it. Do you think because the Nieuw was going in to dry dock on April 1st they just let it slide? He was in room 6052? I believe it was a handicap room?

Denise😄