Royal Princess

gizmodog

Can anyone tell me if the staterooms are smaller then other princess ships? Are the balconies really smaller then standard on other ships? Are there any veranda rooms that have larger balconies? I would like to book this ship but balcony is really important to us on our cruising as we spend lots of time out there. also, do bathroom showers have curtains or glass doors?

In general, I have found that both the staterooms and balconies smaller than the other ships, but well laid out. The balconies are considerably smaller. The bathroom seems roomier, and the sink/counter is more efficient. No shower doors, but curtains. Perhaps someone else can help you with more specifics.

Can anyone tell me if the staterooms are smaller then other princess ships? Are the balconies really smaller then standard on other ships? Are there any veranda rooms that have larger balconies? I would like to book this ship but balcony is really important to us on our cruising as we spend lots of time out there. also, do bathroom showers have curtains or glass doors?

Lots of threads on this subject, here is one.......

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDcQrAIoAjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fboards.cruisecritic.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D1966722%26page%3D2&ei=XoU9Va3PLse8sAWEmYGoAw&usg=AFQjCNGaN84JxnPHtgNMGLj8oi_C21Oqtg&sig2=xA16RuHWEohOMXs0JPPo2g

I consider the balconies miniscule but many people will accept them & are satisfied with the size. It's next to impossible to sit facing the water directly & when sitting there & someone wants to pass behind you, you're forced to move to let them by.

Forget about eating a regular meal. The table provided is just about OK for 2 cups of coffee & a danish each. There are some balconies that are larger but there the ones that go quickly & at higher prices.

The bathrooms have curtains and the rooms seemed similar in size to other ships rooms.

We spent less time on the Royal balcony than any other ship.

thank you for that info, as much as I would like to see the new ship I really do not think I can because of the balcony size, we spend so much time out there. Also, I am spoiled by Celebrity bathrooms, so much space and glass doors, no more fighting with the shower curtains. I am a fan of Perry Grant and his show on the Eclipse made the cruise go by so quick as he was so entertaining and gave us something to look forward to every night, our daily dose of laughter. He is on the Royal so I was thinking of trying that ship, but just can't justify paying for a balcony we just would not enjoy.....

thank you for that info, as much as I would like to see the new ship I really do not think I can because of the balcony size, we spend so much time out there. Also, I am spoiled by Celebrity bathrooms, so much space and glass doors, no more fighting with the shower curtains. I am a fan of Perry Grant and his show on the Eclipse made the cruise go by so quick as he was so entertaining and gave us something to look forward to every night, our daily dose of laughter. He is on the Royal so I was thinking of trying that ship, but just can't justify paying for a balcony we just would not enjoy.....

Well you need to do a little more research then that. :cool:

There are options.

we got an upgrade when we booked the Royal. did a google search with the cabin # and it looked like it was an aft balcony with a massive wrap around balcony. site was wrong..that was actually the cabin next door. we were the last regular balcony cabin on the side of the ship. balcony was small but large enough for us.

Just got off the Royal. We had a mini suite (R410) and had one of the extended balconies. They are much roomier than the standard balcony. Of course you are under the walk way but it doesn't impede your view at all and the extra balcony space is nice. I found the mini suites are quite large and the tub in the bathroom is very nice.

I just got off of Royal Princess yesterday. There is no doubt that the standard balcony is extremely small. In fact, I'd say it was the smallest standard balcony I've seen on any ship I've been on. The wrap around balcony on the corner suites are some of the nicest balconies I've seen.

I haven't researched Royal enough to know if there are some larger balconies but I'm guessing I could out with some further digging.

The standard cabin however, was nicely appointed - a full size couch, not a love seat.

The ship seems narrower over all. Yet the landings outside the elevator banks are huge. Some odd things.

But there are some really nice things. LOVE the Sanctuary and many of the lounges are really nice.

I used to sail on ships without balconies so while I enjoy larger balconies, I can live with smaller ones once in awhile.

For the staterooms with larger-sized balconies:

- Look at the deck plan, and notice that roughly amidships there are two peaks on each side, one set under SeaWalk and the other set under the SeaView Bar.

- Those cabins at the peaks, and some just forward or aft of the peaks, have the largest balconies.

- Avoid any cabins on the starboard side under SeaWalk on the upper decks; book something on Emerald, Dolphin, or Caribe Deck, if privacy is important.

- For the port side, avoid cabins on Marina and Riviera; the massive overhang created by the SeaView Bar will obliterate any view you have of the sky. Also look first for the cabins on Emerald, Dolphin, and Caribe deck.

Here's a fairly extensive Live thread I did while on Royal Princess for two weeks in December 2013. For the most part not much will have changed. There are also links posted below to my Flickr pages with over 1000 pictures of Royal Princess.

Bon Voyage Dave!!! (Live thread)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1950107

Royal Princess Part 1 (482 pictures)

Royal Princess Part 2 (695 pictures)

Stairs and art (49 pictures)

Bridge Tour (55 pictures)

Patters and various menus (7-day Eastern, 65 pictures)

:D

I just got off of Royal Princess yesterday. There is no doubt that the standard balcony is extremely small. In fact, I'd say it was the smallest standard balcony I've seen on any ship I've been on. The wrap around balcony on the corner suites are some of the nicest balconies I've seen.

I haven't researched Royal enough to know if there are some larger balconies but I'm guessing I could out with some further digging.

The standard cabin however, was nicely appointed - a full size couch, not a love seat.

The ship seems narrower over all. Yet the landings outside the elevator banks are huge. Some odd things.

But there are some really nice things. LOVE the Sanctuary and many of the lounges are really nice.

I used to sail on ships without balconies so while I enjoy larger balconies, I can live with smaller ones once in awhile.

Just off our first Princess cruise on the Royal. Beautiful Ship and had a great time. That being said, we had had a standard balcony cabin and definitely did not have a couch. While the room was manageable, it was very small with only a chair and a table that got in the way all the time. Balcony small but good enough. Found the bathroom minute. If a tall person sat on the toilet their legs would hit the door. Shower was good though.

If your a balcony person this is all you get with the regular balconies on the new Princess Regal and Royal. :confused:

In my opinion this was a huge Princess mistake.

RoyalPrincess-288-1306120929_3_4_r383_c0-0-380-510_zpskumaqaqv.jpg

If your a balcony person this is all you get with the regular balconies on the new Princess Regal and Royal. :confused:

In my opinion this was a huge Princess mistake.

I don't understand why any dedicated Princess fan wouldn't be insulted by this move to such a small balcony. Newbies maybe don't know that on the older ships this would never occur even on the lowest class cabin but to book a cruise only to fine this size balcony in shocking. It really is a shame since the newer ship design does have some nice features.

There are larger balconies on the Royal. Many cruisers have stated this in the various threads on the subject. Yet, some people refuse to accept this fact as truth and continue to complain about the smaller balconies.

There are small balconies on other Princess ships above Caribe deck. The cruisers that are used to them can handle the ones on the new ships.

There are no mirrors on headboards in the new cabins. This may give the illusion of the cabin bring smaller than on the grand class. We did not feel any noticeable difference in the cabins other than the bathroom was roomier than on the older ships.

The deluxe balcony cabins have a full size couch, not the standard balconies. The shower curtain is no problem if you put about three clothespins on the bottom hem. It won't move while you're showering. We had a minisuite which has a full size tub. Terrific accommodations, but still small balcony. The two of us were quite comfortable on the balcony, but we usually sit out there to read or stare at the ocean and have a drink.

There are larger balconies on the Royal. Many cruisers have stated this in the various threads on the subject. Yet, some people refuse to accept this fact as truth and continue to complain about the smaller balconies.

Where are the these larger balconies and are they easy to reserve and extra cost?

The majority/standard 90% are these undersized and tiny balconies are found on only the new Princess Regal and Royal.

Edited by Shake

We got off the Royal this past Saturday. We had a standard balcony. The pics on post 15 seems a deceiving, almost like the pic was resized. I had read about the small balconies so I was expecting the worst. I didn't think the balcony was too bad. Although I think the average Carnival balcony is larger.

Where are the these larger balconies and are they easy to reserve and extra cost?

The majority/standard 90% are these undersized and tiny balconies are found on only the new Princess Regal and Royal.

Here's one and it was easy to reserve at a sale price.

IMG_1482_zpsfuir2pye.jpg

There are larger ones than this also, but I'll let you research on your own since you don't want to believe it.

IMG_1482_zpsfuir2pye.jpg

There are larger ones than this also, but I'll let you research on your own since you don't want to believe it.

I do want to believe but I don't like to be deceived. Looking at the Princess website all of their balconies on Regal and Royal are incorrectly showing large balcony diagrams but listed at 41 square feet.

Don't be naive, it's called intentional misrepresentation. :confused:

This balcony drawing on their website is far from 41 square feet.

gp_ma_minisuite_diagram_lg_zpstmh8s7jq.jpg

No reason for people to bicker over something that is empirical. Here are the stats for Port and Starboard side cabins. (Does not include forward facing or aft facing cabins, nor does it count Suites)

There are 204 Port/Starboard cabins with balconies on Emerald Deck. 32 have larger balconies. Of those, 22 are categorized as "Deluxe Balcony Cabins" and 10 are categorized as standard Balcony cabins.

There are 198 non-Suite, Port/Starboard cabins with balconies on Dolphin Deck. 12 have larger balconies. Of those, 6 are categorized as "Deluxe Balcony Cabins" and 6 are categorized as standard Balcony cabins.

There are 194 non-Suite, Port/Starboard cabins with balconies on Caribe Deck. 12 have larger balconies. All are categorized as Mini-Suites.

There are 190 non-Suite, Port/Starboard cabins with balconies on Baja Deck. 12 have larger balconies. All are categorized as Mini-Suites.

There are 188 non-Suite, Port/Starboard cabins with balconies on Aloha Deck. 12 have larger balconies. All are categorized as Mini-Suites.

There are 154 non-Suite, Port/Starboard cabins with balconies on Riviera Deck. 12 have larger balconies. All are categorized as Mini-Suites.

There are 186 non-Suite, Port/Starboard cabins with balconies on Marina Deck. 12 have larger balconies. All are categorized as Mini-Suites.

There are 44 non-Suite, Port/Starboard cabins with balconies on Lido Deck. 2 have larger balconies. Both are categorized as "Balcony Cabins".

That is a total of 1,358 non-Suite Port/Starboard cabins with balconies. 106 have larger balconies than the "standard" balcony. Some are just a smidge bigger. Others are considerably bigger. Either way, that is 7.8% of all cabins. And if you are looking for a regular "Balcony" category cabin and not a Deluxe Balcony, or a Mini-Suite, the number you have to choose from is 18. If you are willing to pay for a Deluxe Balcony, that number increases to 28. If you are willing to pay for a Mini-Suite, that number increases to 60. Is this "a lot"? That is a matter of opinion.

IMG_1482_zpsfuir2pye.jpg

OK. You've got my interest. What cabin number was it? :confused: