Is Surge protector allowed onboard?

EnjoyYourLife

We always take one on Princess with never a problem, but when we went on Celebrity Milkennium a couple years ago, they held up my husbands luggage and made him go to the "naughty room" due to our power strip which we use for his Cpap along with charging our cameras, phone,etc.

They brought us a new extension cord to the room but held his ( which was also very new and not frayed) until the last day if the cruise.

So, my answer is from our experience.....a definite YES, if they find it they will take it.

Good luck...

If you take a power strip with a cord, they may take it. If you take something like a belkin small power strip, you probably won't have any problem. A multiple USB adapter is a power supply for your equipment...that's not a problem at all.

Somebody mentioned in their thread that powerboards will be confiscated by X. Will that apply to surge protector?

How about a USB adaptor with 4 USB outlets?

In all my cruises with Celebrity, I have always taken a power strip or a plug in multi-outlet gizmo and have never, ever had a problem. And, I keep it plugged in at the desk - 24/7. You should be fine.

There seem to be many differing opinions - and probably always will be - but this has been my experience. I would however suggest that you put it in your carry-on as opposed to checked baggage.

I would however suggest that you put it in your carry-on as opposed to checked baggage.

Don't they scan/check your carry-on when you are embarking? I suppose if they are to take it away, then you won't have to visit the "naughty" room. :D

Cheers!

We take the small adapters with multi sub ports no problem but have never needed a power strip as there are multiple sockets.

Our trick is we take usa plugs and eu adapters which makes it possible to use all of the sockets and not just the usa ones

I always take my power strip. I put it in my carry on and then put it on the desk the moment we get in the room, to claim that space. :) It is there 24/7 and I've never had anyone say a thing about it. With all the gizmos people travel with now you have to have a power strip for all the chargers.

• 10 months later...

Had my surge protector confiscated by security because it was deemed a fire hazard. Had heated argument with chief of security before the electrician was called and proved it was safe so I could use it on CPAP machine

Celebrity's original solution: a spliced extension cord streached across a handicapped suite floor to permit us to trip over.

Edited by AZ Boomer

A surge protector is allowed, an extension cord is not. There is a difference. They definitely do not allow "electrical extension cords" (according to their website).

This is what I have:

belkin-mini-surge-protector-with-usb-charger.jpg

Edited by K.T.B.

Interesting discussion. The policy says no surge protectors or literally anything you plug into the socket and then something into it. Do the "police" come and check each one? No. But if one caused a fire somehow you would be prosecuted.

As to the strip for the CPAP - the poster there doe not understand what Celebrity was going to do and medical devices are completely different. They put an extension cord taped down in front of the door frame and wall to the bed. No tripping issue.

Interesting discussion. The policy says no surge protectors or literally anything you plug into the socket and then something into it. Do the "police" come and check each one? No. But if one caused a fire somehow you would be prosecuted.

As to the strip for the CPAP - the poster there doe not understand what Celebrity was going to do and medical devices are completely different. They put an extension cord taped down in front of the door frame and wall to the bed. No tripping issue.

I had the "tape job" previously. Duct tape soest not stick well on carpet. Taping to sliding balcony door also didn't work in past. That is why I bought the 220V protector. No inspection required in 2012 on the same ship. I also checked with handicapped services prior to cruise about both the CPAP hand surge protector. No mention of new policy. Told them that they are Medical devices. BTW. Didn't get distilled water, arranged beforehand. Had to make multiple requests. Finally got it from medical staff.

PS. The poster is a physician and has used CPAP for 12/14 cruises. If you are going to flame, know that the poster has fire retardant shorts :p

PPS the cord N@zis missed the 125v cord in another bag

Edited by AZ Boomer
Clarification

A surge protector is allowed, an extension cord is not. There is a difference. They definitely do not allow "electrical extension cords" (according to their website).

This is what I have:

We have used the same one for years.

We have used the same one for years.

That's a good one for 125v US. But it doesn't handle 220v onshore. Had 2 round pins in Thailand, British plugs in Singapore all 220 volt

Can't remember how many 220v to 125v converters I've fried since 1979, which is more of a hazard. I initially used converters for contact lens sterilizers, then digital cameras, till I discovered that breathing at night is not an optional (central and obstructive sleep apnea) bodily function.

As you can guess, I've been traveling for almost a third of a century.

Edited by AZ Boomer

This is what I have:

This is exactly what I take on every cruise and never had an issue with it. It was unplugged every day on one of my cruises and I couldn't figure out why. It was blocking the vacuum plug in. The steward must not have realized that it rotates. Once I figured it out, I kept it in the rotated position and it wasn't unplugged again. I keep a small clock plugged into it at all times and use it for my hair dryer, cameras, etc.

I had the "tape job" previously. Duct tape soest not stick well on carpet. Taping to sliding balcony door also didn't work in past. That is why I bought the 220V protector. No inspection required in 2012 on the same ship. I also checked with handicapped services prior to cruise about both the CPAP hand surge protector. No mention of new policy. Told them that they are Medical devices. BTW. Didn't get distilled water, arranged beforehand. Had to make multiple requests. Finally got it from medical staff.

PS. The poster is a physician and has used CPAP for 12/14 cruises. If you are going to flame, know that the poster has fire retardant shorts :p

PPS the cord N@zis missed the 125v cord in another bag

Why would I have a negative comment toward you? We are in complete agreement that for any sort of medical needs they will either approve your set up or provide theirs. My wife needs to be able to have steam thus they provide a 120V cord for our devices and they may need some type of multiple plug ins. All aok with them. No idea what the difference would be between your cord and theirs except theirs is definitely heavy duty. The distilled water does indeed take a couple requests once on board.

What is scary is to see some voltage devices people use and simply wonder why? With both 110V and 220V why? The phone has a clock that sets to the correct ships time. How many devices does one need at the same time? The issue with the surge protectors with multiple outlets is put a hair dryer, hot pot (allowed on UK based cruises) and a couple other thnigs and the cheap ones are overloaded and have a history of catching fire.

Somebody mentioned in their thread that powerboards will be confiscated by X. Will that apply to surge protector?

How about a USB adaptor with 4 USB outlets?

For safety purposes, power strips, extension cords, or similar items are prohibited from being brought on board.

An extension cord may be provided for medical reasons only. For further information, please contact our Access Department at 1-866-592-7225.

They put an extension cord taped down in front of the door frame and wall to the bed. No tripping issue.

In January during our Equinox cruise, I prearranged an extension cord and a bottle of distilled water for my CPAP. No problem getting both, now the funny part - sort of. I asked our cabin attendant to tape down the extension cord. After four days the "tape" arrived: a hand towel laid across the cord. Luckily, the only part of the long cord that was exposed to foot traffic was about 3-4 feet between the wall and the bed. I guess they had a shortage of duct tape that trip, or maybe because it was a heavy duty AQ Class towel??

This is what I have:

41KuUz2gX-L._SY90_.jpg

I also have a Belkin I intend to take along with us on a Celebrity cruise. The one I have has six outlets and two USB ports. I use it at home and I would not use anything in my home that is not safe. Also, it is UL approved. I will take the documentation included in the Belkin packaging :cool:

This is exactly what I take on every cruise and never had an issue with it. It was unplugged every day on one of my cruises and I couldn't figure out why. It was blocking the vacuum plug in. The steward must not have realized that it rotates. Once I figured it out, I kept it in the rotated position and it wasn't unplugged again. I keep a small clock plugged into it at all times and use it for my hair dryer, cameras, etc.

I have never been able to get mine to rotate. I see the arrow on the back and white rectangle that looks like a button. Are you supposed to push it in to get it to rotate? When it doesn't fit in a location the only way I can use it is to add an extension cord...I probably should replace mine.

I have never been able to get mine to rotate. I see the arrow on the back and white rectangle that looks like a button. Are you supposed to push it in to get it to rotate? When it doesn't fit in a location the only way I can use it is to add an extension cord...I probably should replace mine.

Yes, push the white button while you rotate the socket. It often needs a LOT of pressure to make it rotate. We have six of these and some are a bit easier than others.