Anthems restaurant charges?

We have just gone online to select our dinning times and we are now confused. Some say complimentary some say prices starting for £0.00. I have looked at the small print and the menus and it doesnt say what these charges are? Is it just a surcharge for selected items? Some restaurants give you a set price, seems we just have a grey area in Izumi?

Som confusion but now you only have two variations: complementary (or "free") and a la carte where every item has a price.

However do not think that ala carte is alway better than complementary- it can be but is not always :)

There is also for a fee unless Chops and Wonderland have also gone a la carte.

Waiter told us that simply too many entered and ordered almost the full menu, ate a few bites of each and left - and it was too bad for business...

I would prefer all to be complementary (or some extra for the more pricy stuff) - but some mechanism is needed to get people to behave...

Waiter told us that simply too many entered and ordered almost the full menu, ate a few bites of each and left - and it was too bad for business...

I would prefer all to be complementary (or some extra for the more pricy stuff) - but some mechanism is needed to get people to behave...

And unfortunately it's those same people who will complain about the a la carte charge and have ruined it for others.

This is the result of several issues:

1. RCCL (like all cruise lines) is a business and needs to turn a profit for their shareholders. Customers are not really a priority, profits are.

2. Lowering the base price of the cruise to fill ships "attracts" a certain demographic that results in behaviors that force a business to make alternative decisions. If they raised the base price to include all the options, the mega ships would not sail full. Getting people on board and then wowing them, and dazzling them with exceptional marketing is the name of the game.

I've been in Chops before and I overheard a guy wanting to order 2 entrees and the waiter said they're only allowed one per person. Maybe that's a good idea for the fixed price menus- 1 entree per person but the rest of the courses no limit??

What I have a problem with is paying the $39 fee to get in and then if I choose a better cut of beef or lobster paying another $20 on top of that. $59 seems a bit too much to me.

Then don't get the premium selections. The regular filet to me at Chops is as good as it gets so I couldn't imagine something better esp at an additional cost

Some restaurants have a flat fee, and some are pay by the item. I believe Jamie's and Izumi are pay by the item.

Is Jamie's a-la-carte now? When we sailed the Quantum, it was $25 fee for dinner.

Thank goodness. Bad enough with Jamie's going that way.

Too bad. When we ate at Jamie's there was definitely waste, but much of it was due to the waiter pushing extra food on us, not us demanding multiple entrees etc. He insisted on bringing a whole assortment of appetizers, same with dessert, even a couple additional entrees to share when people couldn't make up their minds.

Too bad. When we ate at Jamie's there was definitely waste, but much of it was due to the waiter pushing extra food on us, not us demanding multiple entrees etc. He insisted on bringing a whole assortment of appetizers, same with dessert, even a couple additional entrees to share when people couldn't make up their minds.

I had read several reports of the same thing happening. No doubt there were some guests that were ordering multiples but I, like you, suspect that it was more the waiters doing this hoping for an increased tip. Good intentions but it appears to have backfired.

When I am on a cruise I don't want to see prices on the menu. Charge me one flat fee and even if that only includes one app, enter and dessert then I am good with that.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

When I am on a cruise I don't want to see prices on the menu. Charge me one flat fee and even if that only includes one app, enter and dessert then I am good with that.

Me too, I have zero interest in an a la carte venue on a ship, especially at the prices they are showing on that Jamie's menu.

I had read several reports of the same thing happening. No doubt there were some guests that were ordering multiples but I, like you, suspect that it was more the waiters doing this hoping for an increased tip. Good intentions but it appears to have backfired.

The antipasti planks were certainly being handed out by waiters whilst menus were being perused & drinks ordered. A handy delaying tactic if the restaurant was busy, now they're charging $10 for it.

If Jamie Oliver's people are blaming multiple orders then they have not tested their potential market very well. I have lost count of the amount of people who turn their MDR 3 course meal into a multi course banquet. However I have rarely seen large wastage of food and that includes in cover charge restaurants.

At the end of the day food costs have not been met mainly due to Jamie's management not the punters. A little more research into how onboard cover charge dining is made to work would have solved this problem for an a la carte focussed company.

The more that RCCL outsource restaurant space to companies the more this will happen. This is obviously not a partnership such as Fieri with Carnival or Kulchar, Martin, White et al with P&O it is a business arrangement.

I've been in Chops before and I overheard a guy wanting to order 2 entrees and the waiter said they're only allowed one per person. Maybe that's a good idea for the fixed price menus- 1 entree per person but the rest of the courses no limit??

They allow a separate charge for a 2nd entrée, unless that's changed also.

Jamie's is now a la carte.

The thread was moved to the Quantum sub forum.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2198198

IMHO, other than the meat plank and lamb chops, it was not worth it, especially when they raised to $30. Not really Italian dishes that I'm accustomed to. Hopefully, Giovanni's Table will remain as a set price.

Edited by nelblu
correction

IMHO, other than the meat plank and lamb chops, it was not worth it, especially when they raised to $30. Not really Italian dishes that I'm accustomed to. Hopefully, Giovanni's Table will remain complementary.

There is no Giovanni's table on Quantum or Anthem and it's not complimentary on any ship.:confused:

There is no Giovanni's table on Quantum or Anthem and it's not complimentary on any ship.:confused:

Sorry, just corrected my mistake. It was meant as a reference to Giovanni, the other Italian restaurant, on other ships

IMHO, other than the meat plank and lamb chops, it was not worth it, especially when they raised to $30. Not really Italian dishes that I'm accustomed to. Hopefully, Giovanni's Table will remain as a set price.

It's not American Italian if that's what you mean. It is much more authentic Italian food.