Kids now Full Price in Specialty Restaurants?

wimsikl

We just returned from our third NCL cruise this year; this one on the Dawn out of NOLA. It was definitely our least favorite of the three.

It got off to an ominous start when my twin 8 year-olds said upon boarding "where's the waterslides?" Argh!!! Shoot me now. The waterslides are sort of a magnet for the age 5-12 set and meeting place for 7-day friendships and playdates. Our greatest joy was sipping cocktails by the pool, watching our kids go down them 3000 times per day. Since the Jewel and Star had them it never occurred to me the Dawn would not. (I'm not referring to the toddler ones in the back of the ship)

Ah, I digress. One night I was going to dinner with one daughter who is a huge fan of France. I saw that Le Bistro had openings so I surprised her and whisked her down there instead. So unimpressed in many ways, but to top it off, after I had paid the bill, including mandatory 18% tip and additional 10% tip, the hostess chases me down and says there has been a mistake, and that children are no longer half price in specialty restaurants, and that it had just changed the week before.

Is this true or was I being scammed? ANyway, I waited for them to redo everything, which caused us to be late for the show which pretty much put a damper on the evening. Merci Beaucoup.

In our experience kids have always paid full price in the specialty restaurants. If you order off the kids menu there is no charge and we have not been charged for kids if they just have an appetizer but always full price

In our experience kids have always paid full price in the specialty restaurants. If you order off the kids menu there is no charge and we have not been charged for kids if they just have an appetizer but always full price

Kids under 12 were always half price until last week.

Just off the Pearl a month ago... Our 11 year old was half price... But I heard it changed and kids are full price now... And it makes sense... She skipped the appetizers, but ate the main course off the regular menu and the dessert... And could have had an appetizer too but they weren't appealing to her, I felt like it was a real bargain when they would refund us back our half her prepaid dinner price. I can see if I had a 3 year old that they wouldn't eat that much... But for us it was a deal. I also wonder if you had two kids if they would allow them to split a meal and pay for just 1 like land base restaraunts would do.

I also second, why were you adding a 10% tip on top of the service charge you were already being charged?

You all understand that children are still free in specialty restaurants if they order from the children's menu, right? You only pay full price if they order off the specialty menu...

Terry

Just some random thoughts ;) on what's going on - without stepping back into further debate (about grandfathered provisions, etc. - the battlefield casualties already lined with many deceased horses, rotting away ... :eek:)

whatever the previous policies & practices, rates, etc. were, granted - they had been changed (which they are entitled to amend) recently, and it was not adequately communicated (as it should & is customary) to the passengers at the beginning of their sailing or at the time of embarkation for the ship (it's equally bad for those doing a B2B, but enough said);

the servers making the data entries must be: a) either new on their duties, or, b) haven not been informed and/or re-trained on the new schemes & how to charge, etc., or, c) specialty restaurant's POS is trash & faulty (not current/updated, etc.) or, d) servers ignored it or had issues with the changes and/or had inputted the incorrect/old rate codes, etc. or, e) any combination of the above and/or others (fill in your own);

Excuses & excuses ... can be made easily to defend, of course. Still, from a performance evaluation standpoint, NCL failed in my own scorecard - it is unacceptable.

It's about timely communications - NOT.

P.S. NCL social media would probably post another one of their response or clarification in the "near" future. And, of course, it's all in the fine prints & disclosures ... subject to change with and without prior written notices, yada yada.

Edited by mking8288

In the years that I have cruised on NCL my belief and experience has always been as stated on the NCL website quoted here: "With Freestyle Dining, you can eat where you want, when you want. Plus, kids age 3 and under always eat for free and kids 4-12 can order from our complimentary kids’ menu."

As we see in some of the previous posts, some/many will say, "they never charged us", but the reality is we've always known that if the older kids order off of the "regular specialty menus" they will pay full price. 4-12 can eat free also if they utilize the kids menu. I guess I never understood why a kid 12-14 or so orders the same meal as I do, why the should not pay the same price? If they eat off of the kids menu there is no charge. Of course there will always be some that kid a free meal or half price. But if you don't it is published this way. No change that I know of.

Just checked the NCL website. Did a search for Kids Specialty Restaurant and it hit on a document which says

If families want an even more memorable dining experience, ships offer specialty restaurants

that provide refined choices. Children three years old and younger always eat free, and children

four through 12 can choose from a complimentary kids’ menu or the restaurant’s specialty kids’

menu for a reduced cover charge.

Plus, each itinerary offers a special Splash Academy dinner – no parents allowed!

I have never seen a Kids Specialty Menu. Just kids menu (free, up to age 12) and Specialty (half price up to age 12). I have also never heard of a special Splash Academy Dinner, no parents allowed.

I think that is my issue with the whole thing. I just want to know what I'm paying and what I'm getting. To double the price on me as I'm walking out the door felt like I was being mugged.

On our cruise, just before the change, we ate in 5 different specialty restaurants... Each one the server specifically asked if we wanted a kids menu (the answer was no), and specifically asked how old our daughter was... And then told us we would be credited half our prepaid cost for her for dinner since she was 11. We did not have to ask for it or force the issue. Like I said before, I thought it was a great deal. To the OP, sorry the policy changed for your sailing. You probably could have made a stink while still on board since it was a surprise to you. But again, kids have the option of eating off the free kids menu which is the same in every restaraunt and IMO is pretty boring. Or they can get as big of a meal as the adults and pay the same.

On our cruise, just before the change, we ate in 5 different specialty restaurants... Each one the server specifically asked if we wanted a kids menu (the answer was no), and specifically asked how old our daughter was... And then told us we would be credited half our prepaid cost for her for dinner since she was 11. We did not have to ask for it or force the issue. Like I said before, I thought it was a great deal. To the OP, sorry the policy changed for your sailing. You probably could have made a stink while still on board since it was a surprise to you. But again, kids have the option of eating off the free kids menu which is the same in every restaraunt and IMO is pretty boring. Or they can get as big of a meal as the adults and pay the same.

I totally get that. I think it was just the way it was handled; no notification of the change, no offer of a kids menu, being chased out after departure, etc... You got very clear upfront communication which I am happy about for you.

Just off breakaway last Sunday and confirm that price for kids is now full price when ordering items off specialty menu and free when ordering off kids menu. Seems that this just happened as there were even discrepancy in the dailies (said kids pay 100%) vs the inserts in dailies (kids pay 50%).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally get that. I think it was just the way it was handled; no notification of the change, no offer of a kids menu, being chased out after departure, etc... You got very clear upfront communication which I am happy about for you.

So, did you say something to guest services while you were on board? Not that they would have been able to do anything, but I would have given them the chance to make note of the change and the lack of comminication regarding it. My other thought... your kids are 8? And they big for their age? Maybe you weren't offered a kids menu because they looked over 12? My 11 year old is petite... About the size of a 9 year old. We had such amazing customer service on the Pearl, I am scratching my head why your experience on the dawn could be so different!

To all,

I spent a significant amount of time on the phone with NCL customer service discussion the. We travelled the Getaway last year where I purchased the UDP for my wife and I and did not (could not) for my 11 year old. I can say with absolute certainty that they charged my 11 year old half price for ordering off of the regular adult specialty menu, they did not have a so called specialty kids menu.

Fast forward to today, we are booked on the Getaway next month where I have again purchased the UDP for my wife and I and have not for my now 12 year old. After speaking with 3 different NCL reps (including a supervisor) they explained that they have changed the policy to charge those 12 and under the full adult price if they order off of the specialty menu. In other words, if my daughter orders an appetizer from the specialty menu, which is what she typically does, she will pay more for her meals for the week than I will under the UDP. FYI, NCL states that I cannot purchase the UDP for my daughter because she is only 12. Very disappointing.

One last thing, the NCL supervisor stated that NCL is "grandfathering" those that have already purchased the UDP; their children 12 and under would still pay half price through July 17. She stated that this was an internal memo and not anything that the public can view. They stated that my account has been noted; I guess I find out when I cruise.

Jason

Yes, you were mugged. The kids 4-12 were half price adult price for the regular menu up until a week or so ago. I first heard about it here on CC from someone posting about a week ago.

I happened to check the menus yesterday on NCL where there used to be a footnote about the kids pricing and see it is gone.

I would not be surprised if there are other spots on the NCL site which still reference the old info.

Jason - good luck with that. Even in the old days for the policy that had been in effect for years the ship's crew was confused. I had to argue with waiter, customer service rep, customer service supervisor (who agreed with us), maitre de for the given restuarant who disagreed with supervisor for our 12 y/o who they charged full price.

I finally got tired of the hassle and turned it over to concierge who talked to HD and got it resolved. Some people always like to say that you need to deal with customer service on the ship, or deal with the crew at the time but I guess I would just prefer for NCL to have their act together rather than waste my time.

Just checked the NCL website. Did a search for Kids Specialty Restaurant and it hit on a document which says

If families want an even more memorable dining experience, ships offer specialty restaurants

that provide refined choices. Children three years old and younger always eat free, and children

four through 12 can choose from a complimentary kids’ menu or the restaurant’s specialty kids’

menu for a reduced cover charge.

Plus, each itinerary offers a special Splash Academy dinner – no parents allowed!

I have never seen a Kids Specialty Menu. Just kids menu (free, up to age 12) and Specialty (half price up to age 12). I have also never heard of a special Splash Academy Dinner, no parents allowed.

I think that is my issue with the whole thing. I just want to know what I'm paying and what I'm getting. To double the price on me as I'm walking out the door felt like I was being mugged.

There was a specialty menu for kids at Le Bistro several years ago. I recall it had items not on the adult menu, my youngest son had a fantastic pork tenderloin . The only other specialty restaurant we have used is Teppanyaki, where they serve smaller portions to children.

I have a huge problem with my children eating almost anything off the kids menu, so given the choice between paying full price for specialty dining or the kids menu, I will pick the MDR!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wait....you PAID and they chased you down to say they messed up and it should be more under these "new rules" of no kids pricing?

Wow, talk about a load of crap and atrocious customer service. What would they have done if they figured it out 30 seconds later? Just billed you the addition without speaking to you? :rolleyes:

So it does appear that the option for children to dine at 50% discount off the Specialty Menu or a "Children's Specialty Menu (if there ever was one ) has been eliminated.

I would have dug my heels in the moment I was chased down the hall. It would have gone all the way to the HD. For a change so recent, they cannot expect ALL passengers to be aware, as that was not the policy when they booked. The waiter's should therefore be informing parents at ALL tables with children of the change and offering the option of Full Price off Specialty or Free from the Complimentry Kid's Menu, so that a parent can make the decision at that point, NOT after the food is already consumed and you have settled the bill and have left the premises.

To Jason26, there is no "child" pricing for the UDP as you stated, but why would that mean that the UDP could not be offered at full price for a child who will eat all of their meals at Specialties along with the family on 7 nights of a cruise. It sounds like from your post that they refused to sell you a full priced UDP package. As long as you are aware there is a "free" option, the choice to do so should be yours. Wrong to charge the child more by refusing to sell them a package.

I thought that ALL in a cabin received the Promo UDP packages, including the children. Anyone else experience not being able to buy a UDP for a child? It might be wasted for some, but I know my grandkids would tire very quickly of the free chicken fingers and fries. They learned at a young age to go for the filet off the adult menu.

Edited by punkincc

To all,

I spent a significant amount of time on the phone with NCL customer service discussion the. We travelled the Getaway last year where I purchased the UDP for my wife and I and did not (could not) for my 11 year old. I can say with absolute certainty that they charged my 11 year old half price for ordering off of the regular adult specialty menu, they did not have a so called specialty kids menu.

Fast forward to today, we are booked on the Getaway next month where I have again purchased the UDP for my wife and I and have not for my now 12 year old. After speaking with 3 different NCL reps (including a supervisor) they explained that they have changed the policy to charge those 12 and under the full adult price if they order off of the specialty menu. In other words, if my daughter orders an appetizer from the specialty menu, which is what she typically does, she will pay more for her meals for the week than I will under the UDP. FYI, NCL states that I cannot purchase the UDP for my daughter because she is only 12. Very disappointing.

One last thing, the NCL supervisor stated that NCL is "grandfathering" those that have already purchased the UDP; their children 12 and under would still pay half price through July 17. She stated that this was an internal memo and not anything that the public can view. They stated that my account has been noted; I guess I find out when I cruise.

Jason

Thank for the info. Jason26! But you need to be cautious about NCL stated about 'grandfathering', will see to believe it.

We got the UDP promo but on the attached email it listed our kids getting the 'kids menu' which both are under 12 yo and the 2 adults get 'Ultimate Dinning Package'. Believe me our kids will order anything they wanted on the regular specialty menu. :D

Thank for the info. Jason26! But you need to be cautious about NCL stated about 'grandfathering', will see to believe it.

We got the UDP promo but on the attached email it listed our kids getting the 'kids menu' which both are under 12 yo and the 2 adults get 'Ultimate Dinning Package'. Believe me our kids will order anything they wanted on the regular specialty menu. :D

same thing for our amenity attachment. Now I am getting nervous. My son hasn't really ordered off the children's menu ever. He is now 8 and will be 9 on the sailing. He is looking forward to the specialty dining as we purchased the UDP for all 3 of us on the Gem at Thanksgiving. Believe it or not at that time, we paid full price for his dining package before the cruise and they refunded half on our onboard account.

Are they going to try to force him to order the kiddie menu???? When I made the booking I was told that the UDP was for all 3 of us.

same thing for our amenity attachment. Now I am getting nervous. My son hasn't really ordered off the children's menu ever. He is now 8 and will be 9 on the sailing. He is looking forward to the specialty dining as we purchased the UDP for all 3 of us on the Gem at Thanksgiving. Believe it or not at that time, we paid full price for his dining package before the cruise and they refunded half on our onboard account.

Are they going to try to force him to order the kiddie menu???? When I made the booking I was told that the UDP was for all 3 of us.

That was my understanding as well. I don't recall any stipulation in the Promo that it only applied to the adults in the cabin, whereas the UBP did stipulate that adults got the UBP and children got the soda package. Not above board to change it after the fact, IMO. You very well may have made a different choice as far as promo had you known.