Ice cream

BLAMBKY

My son (16) asked over dinner if they had ice cream on the Summit. I told him that I had read that it was scooped and had toppings. He asked if there was soft serve too. :confused: Wow, I had no idea my child was so ice cream deprived! :p only thing that I found in my search was from 2013, anyone have any newer info on the ice cream? Where is it? What kind? What hours? :rolleyes:Oh to have a teen boys metabolism.....

Yes, they have soft serve, ice cream, sugar free, etc., with toppings, in a bowl or cone, served at the buffet from 11:00 or so into the evening. This is free. They also have ice cream as a dessert offering in the MDR and gelato for a price at Cage al Bacio.

Yes, they have soft serve, ice cream, sugar free, etc., with toppings, in a bowl or cone, served at the buffet from 11:00 or so into the evening. This is free. They also have ice cream as a dessert offering in the MDR and gelato for a price at Cage al Bacio.

Mmmm ... One of my favorite desserts in the MDR is their home-made sorbet (different flavors featured each night). :p

Flavors of ice cream - those vary. They usually have about 8 or more every day. And all kinds of toppings. Some have been known to just request a little bowl of toppings to take back to the cabin (M&Ms etc.)

Remember you can have ice cream AND desert. I like the chocolate cake and peanut butter ice cream. Always look first at the ice cream, then pick out the desert. The ice cream changes daily at dinner in the MDR. It is excellent. I am sure they can bring enough to satisfy your son, and with a smile. Ans perhaps a chuckle.

LOVED the ice cream on the summit! As others have mentioned, the buffet has an ice cream area where they scoop it for you, or serve it to you out of a soft-serve machine (chocolate/vanilla) behind the counter.

They had everything from rocky road to red wine sorbet. My favorites were the fruit sorbets, particularly the tropical flavors like guava and passionfruit. And in terms of toppings, they had everything from sprinkles to chocolate chips to gummy bears and Reese's pieces!

I don't know if this is typical, but on the last day of the cruise when I had big plans of trying multiple flavors, the majority of the ice cream available was plain old strawberry! I don't know if they ran out of ingredients for other flavors, or were just trying to get rid of what they had left, but I was very disappointed. Lesson learned - try whatever looks interesting as you see it as it may not be around later! :)

OP - thank you for this topic !! I asked on my roll call and really didn't get much of a response. (Admittedly, I also asked about the gym because if I'm going to eat ice cream every day -- I'll have to go to the gym too.)

It's interesting (to me) that they serve the soft serve for you -- vs. the self serve machines usually found on ships. It probably won't deter me from having both, but it's interesting.

And Newbcruiser - thanks for the heads up about the flavors disappearing; I will definitely have what I can, when I can. (and I will advise my fellow travelers of the same.) I'm thinking I may have to have ice cream in place of lunch, depending on the flavors.

I heard there are also fresh made waffles too.... yum. I hope they have HOT fudge, not just room temp chocolate sauce. They are NOT the same !! :mad:

I'm highly allergic to peanuts and tree nuts so I'm guessing there will be some days when the flavor options for me are few. OK - I can accept that. I'll make up for that on the other days, I'm sure.:D

Y'all are killing me talking about ice cream when I am having withdrawal because we have no Blue Bell. :(

Seriously!!! I saw something on Facebook explaining this Blue Bell situation to "northerners." It said that it's not that we're just *down* a flavor of ice cream; it's that we now have NO ice cream.

On board I try to not eat it, but I do absolutely love the tropical flavors like passion fruit and guava. Don't get me wrong - I am a confirmed Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla girl but those tropical sherbets/ices are fabulous.

Y'all are killing me talking about ice cream when I am having withdrawal because we have no Blue Bell. :(

Hey Ed, I feel your pain! My favorite ice cream in the whole Pacific Northwest (Snoqulmie brand) was pulled off supermarket shelves, back in December. I think it was, like Blue Bell, due to Listeria contamination. :eek: No word yet on when or if they'll be back in business. :(

But, at least I can look forward to the wonderful ice cream, gelato, and sorbet on Summit, next month! :D

Edited by wwcruisers

Seriously!!! I saw something on Facebook explaining this Blue Bell situation to "northerners." It said that it's not that we're just *down* a flavor of ice cream; it's that we now have NO ice cream.

Depressing!

Hey Ed, I feel your pain!

But, at least I can look forward to the wonderful ice cream, gelato, and sorbet on Summit, next month! :D

There is a company distributing yard signs, in support of Blue Bell. Guess I am not the only one that misses it. :)

Sorry folks for getting off topic.

Edited by Texed

I'm highly allergic to peanuts and tree nuts so I'm guessing there will be some days when the flavor options for me are few. OK - I can accept that. I'll make up for that on the other days, I'm sure.:D

I noticed your comment about your nut allergy. My daughter carries an epi-pen for the same reason. The following information may well be inaccurate now (present day) but in 2012 the cookies served in the ocean view cafe were cooked using peanut oil. Even regular plain ones. This policy could have changed in the intervening years, but if you are tempted to indulge I suggest you check first. In my daughter's case they made her up her own batch of cookies, free of peanut oil or risk of cross contamination from other nut products. It was a lovely gesture.

It's interesting (to me) that they serve the soft serve for you -- vs. the self serve machines usually found on ships. It probably won't deter me from having both, but it's interesting.

:D

In the buffet they serve it for you; at the Mast Grill you serve yourself.

I noticed your comment about your nut allergy. My daughter carries an epi-pen for the same reason. The following information may well be inaccurate now (present day) but in 2012 the cookies served in the ocean view cafe were cooked using peanut oil. Even regular plain ones. This policy could have changed in the intervening years, but if you are tempted to indulge I suggest you check first. In my daughter's case they made her up her own batch of cookies, free of peanut oil or risk of cross contamination from other nut products. It was a lovely gesture.

Hi ! Thank you for that information ! I accidentally had potato chips once that were clearly marked "made with peanut oil" and I did not have a reaction, so I asked my allergist and he said that with nut oils, so much of the actual nut protein is removed by the time it becomes oil, that I may not be as sensitive to it.

That's not to say anyone who is allergic to nuts can use a nut oil, and I certainly do not seek them out. (Everyone is different.)

Straying slightly further off topic -- I had researched coconut oil for baking, and although coconut is an extremely rare allergy, coconut is technically a fruit, not a nut. (Of course, peanuts are technically legumes, not nuts.)

I will definitely ask about the cookies -- and maybe I can get my own batch of nut free cookies !! OOOHHH That would be so exciting ! You NEED cookies with your ice cream. How else do you make ice cream sandwiches ?!?!

And I always carry Epi-Pens... I'm one of the few people walking around a ship with my purse -- something has to carry them, and the inhaler, and the Benadryl, just in case.

In the buffet they serve it for you; at the Mast Grill you serve yourself.

Now you've done it -- I thought I had sort of interpreted it that way, but I think I can show restraint.

When we were on Rhapsody last summer, the self/soft serve NEVER worked. I think I got 1 cone the entire week. I could not understand what the problem was -- those machines LIVE on the ship -- does NO ONE know how to fix them ??? :confused:

• 6 months later...
Any soft serve or fro-yo at the pool on the Summit?

There is no self serve frozen yogurt or ice cream on Celebrity ships. There is the one ice cream station as you enter the buffet area. They will not allow you in in a swimsuit. You must cover up to get you treat