Penthouse or Vista Suite on Riviera

Schmoe38

We have been in both Oceania Suites, we will take deck 12 suites any day, we were in 11083 for Christmas New Years 2014/15 and 11083 is the worst on the ship. Of course yes it has a great view and patio, but if you like hearing chairs and tables scraping from 6:00 am thru 11:00 pm, please enjoy. We called to complain daily and got an 'I'm Sorry for the inconvenience and that we will talk to the staff on the buffets patio...well if they did they ignored it. One morning I went up in bathrobe screaming at 6:30 and they looked like I was crazy and that they knew nothing of the noise they were making.

I also know after speaking to 11080 same problem. Talked to butlers and other employees and they all said same. no sleep, no naps.... Not a good suite.

I will take deck 12 any day. In fact we are booked in12008 next February on Marina from Tahiti to Sydney. I'll take smaller deck any day.

That's not at all the experience we had in 11080. Perhaps we're less sensitive to noise than you are, although I am a light sleeper. I'm not saying we never heard noise from above, but it definitely was not non-stop noise.

We were bothered far more by the extreme noise and vibrations when leaving port however ... that truly was something else!

But we'd take the suite again.

Mura

Do you have a diagram for the OC on Deck 12? How about one of those panoramic pics of the master bath, too? Your photos are the bomb!:D

There are a lot of Oceania Suite pictures that have been posted in the past here. If you try a search you would probably find quite a few.

Do you have a diagram for the OC on Deck 12? How about one of those panoramic pics of the master bath, too? Your photos are the bomb!:D

Here are some pics posted previously. As ORV recommends, if you do a 'search this forum' you'll find loads more. I also found a diagram of the suite (which has been removed from Oceania's website for some reason) just by a general google search.

http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/orv07/media/europe13247_zps3373fdf2.jpg.html

OK I give up! I tried to post a link to some pics which ORV and StanandJim had kindly posted a little while ago, but failed miserably. I then tried to edit the post, and now I cannot find the edited version at all. Sorry!

Here are some pics posted previously. As ORV recommends, if you do a 'search this forum' you'll find loads more. I also found a diagram of the suite (which has been removed from Oceania's website for some reason) just by a general google search.

http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/orv07/media/europe13247_zps3373fdf2.jpg.html

A simple diagram like the one S&J posted. The ones I googled are those weird 3D diagrams that don't actually show everything because the walls get in the way!:rolleyes:

Thank you all very much for the insight. These boards are a wonderful way to capture the wealth of experience out there. "StanandJim", you cannot believe how valuable your commentary and pictures were in helping us make this decision.

We made a switch from our Penthouse to an Oceania Suite on Deck 12 and now we are even more excited about our itinerary in December.

Thanks again.

Randy

So Glad that we were able to help!

You are going to love love love the Suite, they are amazing and the forward facing location is magic!

b_231442.jpg

All that we ask is that you take a few minutes to sort out your in Suite Bar set up:

b_113527.jpgb_113609.jpg in preparation for that moment when you, and possibly a few friends, a cocktail party in a Vista Suite is almost de rigueur, "lift a few" in our honor ;)

new-orleans-black-tie-wedding-reception-champagne-toast-gold-elegant.jpeg

Uh, didn't he say they decided on an Oceania Suite?

Sad to see on that alcohol list they still don't have any choice for a bottle of single malt. Come on folks, at least some Glenfiddich or Glenlevit.

Sad to see on that alcohol list they still don't have any choice for a bottle of single malt. Come on folks, at least some Glenfiddich or Glenlevit.

I threw the curve ball, because when I started this thread, we were looking at upgrading to a Vista Suite, but made a slight adjustment along the way.

Randy

Who is on their room that much? Get a Penthouse Suite and make friends with someone in a VS, so they'll invite you over for cocktails. The money you save makes your cruise free..

And I believe that is the bow view of one of the smaller Oceania ships e.g. Regatta.

Sounds like S & J have started early this Friday - with a wee dram or two? ;):D

Oops! classic case of mind thinking one thing while fingers typed another. I kept referring to that earlier post about the Vista Suite for reference....should have read further.

Well, at least the Bottles List works for all three versions of the big suites, so no real foul, yet :p

I am a sucker for the Vista Views, but people seem to like the Oceania Suite set up.

Good catch, Fairbourne, that last bow photo was from the Regatta, the O class ships have a much cleaner looking forward deck:

b_060330.jpg

NOW it's time to go out and get started on the Weekend! 193145.jpg

Edited by StanandJim
spelling error

Who is on their room that much? Get a Penthouse Suite and make friends with someone in a VS, so they'll invite you over for cocktails. The money you save makes your cruise free..

I like the way you think....when is your next cruise and are you in a Vista Suite? I could be your next best friend!

Randy

So Glad that we were able to help!

You are going to love love love the Suite, they are amazing and the forward facing location is magic!

b_231442.jpg

All that we ask is that you take a few minutes to sort out your in Suite Bar set up:

b_113527.jpgb_113609.jpg in preparation for that moment when you, and possibly a few friends, a cocktail party in a Vista Suite is almost de rigueur, "lift a few" in our honor ;)

new-orleans-black-tie-wedding-reception-champagne-toast-gold-elegant.jpeg

I see there are single malt scotch selections on the beverage package menu. Is the In Suite bar set up fairly strict in accordance with this menu or can you switch out for something on the beverage package menu?

Randy

I see there are single malt scotch selections on the beverage package menu. Is the In Suite bar set up fairly strict in accordance with this menu or can you switch out for something on the beverage package menu?

Randy

I wasn't able to get them to substitute single malt in an Oceania Suite. I think our butler was fairly inexperienced. You can always ask and see what happens. I certainly didn't go without libations.

I brought on a couple of bottles of scotch as I generally prefer to drink brands that sometimes are not available on the ship. But when it's included I can be less picky.

In a high end suite they really should have at least one or two single malt choices. Makes me wonder about the person that set that list up. Seems they really are into vodka.

Unimpressive wine list. As for spirits, except for vodka, I wouldn't call them top shelf!

From having spoken to at least some of the people who made up that list, it is my understanding that their aim was to enable the Suite holder to have a "bar" set up which might make entertaining in the Suite more effortless.

After all, Oceania supplies, the invitations, the glassware, the ice, the mixers, the nibbles, the butler to pour it, the clean up afterwards....and now the liquor, all included in the price of your cruise.

There are worse things in life that could happen to all of us :rolleyes:

Edited by StanandJim
added content

[font="Tahoma

There are worse things in life that could happen to all of us :rolleyes: [/font]

True enough. That said, however, I think it was you who spoke of the top shelf liquor choices when I was posting about switching the spirits for wine...so I was kind of expecting Patron tequila, single malt scotch, etc.

For me personally, I don't care because I don't drink a lot of spirits - just vodka or tequila. But let's not call the list top shelf. Even the wines are middle of the road. But as you say, first world problems. Certainly not going to ruin my time in the suite, just on par with Celebrity.;)

Certainly not going to ruin my time in the suite, just on par with Celebrity.

Trust me, you'll be VERY pleasantly surprised if Celebrity is your marker. As with any successful endeavor , however, Oceania has learned where to spend their money and where not to. If simply outspending Celebrity on every front were the key, ANY of us could do it.

I once adored Celebrity, but on the last cruise, I was disappointed with the food, the crowded buffets that felt like cafeterias and the service from butler to cabin steward to wait staff. I did like their nightlife, drinks, entertainment and itinerary, though. Since I am not a big time cruiser, I am just learning. We mostly have traveled independently, renting cars, staying in B&Bs, etc. but the time has come when that is simply too difficult due to some personal issues. I am trying different cruises and lines to see what fits.

Well, as I'm sure you're aware by now, one big trade off with Oceania is going to be the nightlife. It is extremely rare for any of the Lounges to be open until 1 AM.

Many reading this from the comfort of their Computer Rooms will think that I am being a downer, but people of our age have a finite supply of energy. Passengers on an Oceania Cruise are much more inclined to spend it on a day long Excursion than a night long reverie; and frankly for most of us the days of burning the candle at both ends have ended. It's strictly a matter of common sense and priorities with a good dose of getting your monies worth thrown in for good measure.

It's not that the staff don't try to organize nighttime activities, but after a long day ashore and a fabulous dinner with wine, those Oceania mattresses start to look awfully appealing.....

logo_matermoll_SMALL.jpg -so much so that you may decide to take one home with you!

http://www.oceaniabedcollection.com/oceania-cruises-bed-collectiontm-mattress.html

Edited by StanandJim

I have to agree with Jim but also I was never one to go for the night life ... perhaps because my musical tastes are not the most popular. My husband and I are both classical music people so we don't always care for the standard entertainment. (I'm not saying we hate it all because we don't.)

If we've been touring all day, we probably won't be interested in trying a show. And if I'm watching a show, I don't want to walk out because it doesn't suit our tastes ... on very rare occasions we HAVE. But as a performer myself, I don't want to do that to another performer!

But there was one guy on a cruise a couple of years ago where that was our only defense ...

Mura

I have to agree with Jim but also I was never one to go for the night life ... perhaps because my musical tastes are not the most popular. My husband and I are both classical music people so we don't always care for the standard entertainment. (I'm not saying we hate it all because we don't.)

If we've been touring all day, we probably won't be interested in trying a show. And if I'm watching a show, I don't want to walk out because it doesn't suit our tastes ... on very rare occasions we HAVE. But as a performer myself, I don't want to do that to another performer!

But there was one guy on a cruise a couple of years ago where that was our only defense ...

Mura

Agree 100% although sometimes it is difficult to even walk by the off pitch playing by some of the string quartets.

No, I understand that they were just attempting accurate instrumental renditions of "MacArthur Park,"' "This Guy's in Love With You," and Rosenanne Barr singing "The Star-Spangled Banner"...