Silver Shadow just failed its CDC health inspection

FogGuys

Does anyone know who has served as HD and F&B manager on Shadow this winter -- esp. at the time of the inspection and, earlier, during the long Grand Cruise around South America?

Martin Blannar was the HD from about the 20th November, probably for 4 months, and he was definitely the HD during the Grand Cruise.

Martin Blannar was the HD from about the 20th November, probably for 4 months, and he was definitely the HD during the Grand Cruise.

The inspection was 4/16, so Martin would likely have been relieved by someone else, who would presumably be responsible.

Seafairer, surprisingly enough, there was an outbreak of GI disturbance during the Grand Voyage. The ship handled it very well. It was not long lived and lots of people were in their rooms for a few days. Really didn't hear any complaining.

So sorry to hear about the outbreak, Duct Tape. I'm sure Silversea did an excellent job of handling it.

The Smithsonian Channel broadcast one of their "cruise ship" programs recently (not SS) and it showed the crew's regular drill to manage an outbreak of a highly contagious illness. Complete with bio hazard suits and yellow police tape across the door! Not sure if Silversea went that far, but I'm sure they did everything possible to attend to the sick passengers.

Edited by Seafairer

The inspection was 4/16, so Martin would likely have been relieved by someone else, who would presumably be responsible.

Paolo may be held responsible as it occurred on his watch, but the seeds were sown under Martin's management and have bloomed to stuff his replacement.

And, the new boutique may actually be the most sanititary location on the ship!

I am first time poster today - We board the Silver Shadow THIS Monday May 4 for 10 day cruise to Alaska. Nice to know we spent thousands of dollars to board a ship that just failed a health inspection. Usually, you would expect improved conditions following inspection, but that may not be the case when you have a crew willing to deceive inspectors.

I know. Right. I am concerned. Very.

Paolo may be held responsible as it occurred on his watch, but the seeds were sown under Martin's management and have bloomed to stuff his replacement.

Will this also be an important blot on the captain's record? I know that the captain is ultimately in charge of the ship, but I do not understand how much the captain is expected to oversee/monitor hotel matters.

FWIW - I'm about to leave for the airport en route to San Francisco - eager to board Silver Shadow. I expect to have a wonderful time with no issues to mar the voyage.

Good for you!

The major difference between us and animals is that humans overide pure survival instinct with what we convince ourselves is a rather clever and superior - and we think - a rational response ie "optimism".

If animals had optimism less would survive.

:)

I dare say it is the Hotel Manager's responsibility overall. On a recent SS voyage, the HM was the most unfriendly, unsmiling, unsocial person I've ever seen on a ship. Shocking, especially for an Italian-run operation. SS need's to upgrade the quality of it's key personnel onboard. I've been a SS lover for quite a while, but I do not like what I've been seeing/hearing.

For what it is worth; to live life, especially a fantastically privileged life, without optimism would be unforgivable.

We board The Silver Shadow tomorrow and are looking forward to a wonderful cruise.

Nicely put and completely agree.

Have a lovely time. I board the Explorer Thursday and am very much looking forward to it.

Wasn't the Titanic Italian, too? And the SS Eastland, MV Dona Paz, MS Estonia, Herald of Free Enterprise?

Un- no. The Titanic was built in North Ireland and was a White Flag Line ship, captained by a British Naval Reserve Officer. The SS Eastland was built in the US and based in Chicago and used for tours. The MS Estonia was a cruise ferry built in Germany. The MV Dona Paz was built in 1963 by Onomichi Zosen of Onomichi, Hiroshima, Japan and based in Manila. The Herald was built in Germany and sailed from Belgium.

So- sorry but wrong on all counts.