Silver Shadow just failed its CDC health inspection

FogGuys

I'll chime in on this one...

DW is an inspector for a major fast food chain ... so my day goes like this..

DW: boy, you should have seen this today... wow

me.. jeeez

DW: this was wrong... that was wrong..

me: jeeze

DW: and I noted the same thing last month

DW: this owner is jerk and doesn't care what happens..

DW: and I caught them again not washing their hands

pause... (me) you are not going to lose your job anytime soon.

I suspect most cruise lines are the same -

and - we have a SS cruise booked in 2016 - on this ship

and yes, I eat at that fast food place

so.. you will never really know.

Jim

I'll chime in on this one...

DW is an inspector for a major fast food chain ... so my day goes like this..

DW: boy, you should have seen this today... wow

me.. jeeez

DW: this was wrong... that was wrong..

DW: and I noted the same thing last month

DW: this owner is jerk and doesn't care what happens..

DW: and I caught them again not washing their hands

pause... (me) you are not going to lose your job anytime soon.

I suspect most cruise lines are the same -

and - we have a SS cruise booked in 2016 - on this ship

and yes, I eat at that fast food place

so.. you will never really know.

Jim

Ha- I actually looked around my house and I would flunk in a heartbeat. Not condoning the poor ratings and yes, some of it is very concerning indeed. But :o

Un- no. The Titanic was built in North Ireland and was a White Flag Line ship, captained by a British Naval Reserve Officer. The SS Eastland was built in the US and based in Chicago and used for tours. The MS Estonia was a cruise ferry built in Germany. The MV Dona Paz was built in 1963 by Onomichi Zosen of Onomichi, Hiroshima, Japan and based in Manila. The Herald was built in Germany and sailed from Belgium.

So- sorry but wrong on all counts.

You mean that lines that are not Italian can have disasters? Well, I never!

I feared the irony was lost. And you'll note no Italian influence in those mentioned.

It was very subtle and took me a while before I thought- oh dear, am I an idiot? Well, happy I got it in before someone had to point it out to me!

Two years ago, this cruise ship engaged in an intentional, calculated scheme to hide food and galley equipment in crew cabins.Crew members on the ship alerted our firm that they (galley workers) were being ordered by their supervisors to take trolleys of perishable foods (eggs, fish & cheese) to the crew quarters and hide the food from inspectors during bi-annual CDC inspections. We advised the "whistle-blower" crew members to notify the CDC. As a result of a surprise inspection, the CDC discovered that the cruise line hid "over 15 full trolleys" of food and food equipment, pans, dishware and utensils to "over 10 individual cabins" in order to avoid scrutiny of vessel sanitation inspectors. It flunked Silversea with a score of 82.

Don't forget the Andrea Doria.

The Andrea Doria was sliced by the Stockholm in July, 1956 in severe fog. I believe the Stockholm was found to be at fault. The only people who died were killed in the initial collision. One lucky woman was lifted off her bunk in the Andrea Doria and found on the bow of the Stockholm. No passengers who were not already dead went down with the Andrea Doria.

I will never forget!

Edited by Emtbsam

Two years ago, this cruise ship engaged in an intentional, calculated scheme to hide food and galley equipment in crew cabins.Crew members on the ship alerted our firm that they (galley workers) were being ordered by their supervisors to take trolleys of perishable foods (eggs, fish & cheese) to the crew quarters and hide the food from inspectors during bi-annual CDC inspections. We advised the "whistle-blower" crew members to notify the CDC. As a result of a surprise inspection, the CDC discovered that the cruise line hid "over 15 full trolleys" of food and food equipment, pans, dishware and utensils to "over 10 individual cabins" in order to avoid scrutiny of vessel sanitation inspectors. It flunked Silversea with a score of 82.

Is anyone really suprised?

You don't get far until you reach a clear implication by the inspector of not only serious food hygiene failings but an attempt to falsify and deceive the #13 inspector's comments might have been when the tone of the inspection changed.

Jeff

The Silversea culture of deception is completely unacceptable. I don't understand how some posters are so forgiving of a second attempted cover-up.

It was upsetting to read about this. We went on the Shadow shortly after it failed the last time and, at the time, would have cancelled if we could have (we would have had to pay a very high cancellation fee). I am happy that we went on the cruise because the ship was immaculate and we enjoyed ourselves. Our only issue at the time was that the ship was in need of new carpeting and other cosmetic things that Silversea continues to ignore.

In any case, with the latest failure, I cannot see us sailing on Silversea in the future. It seems that something is really wrong with the management of the company. It is truly a shame as this was such a good cruise line.

Edited by Travelcat2

It was upsetting to read about this. We went on the Shadow shortly after it failed the last time and, at the time, would have cancelled if we could have (we would have had to pay a very high cancellation fee). I am happy that we went on the cruise because the ship was immaculate and we enjoyed ourselves. Our only issue at the time was that the ship was in need of new carpeting and other cosmetic things that Silversea continues to ignore.

In any case, with the latest failure, I cannot see us sailing on Silversea in the future. It seems that something is really wrong with the management of the company. It is truly a shame as this was such a good cruise line.

The problem is that with a seemingly regular and enthusiastic customer base that indulges SS with a degree of unquestioning but misplaced faith and continues to give them their dollars - there appears little commerical pressure on SS to put this right. Expecting a company that has (now) a track record of cynical and terrible management-led deception and quite disgusting behaviour and attitudes towards it's customers to do "the right thing" because it is "the right thing is naive to put it mildly. Trusting untrustworthy people is a choice that is avoidable.

If enough people actually did the reverse .... and at least even indicated to them how hacked of they were with them, it might nudge them. But why do they need to bother now?

Still, each of us views these things differently and that is the way it should be.

:)

The problem is that with a seemingly regular and enthusiastic customer base that indulges SS with a degree of unquestioning but misplaced faith and continues to give them their dollars - there appears little commerical pressure on SS to put this right. Expecting a company that has (now) a track record of cynical and terrible management-led deception and quite disgusting behaviour and attitudes towards it's customers to do "the right thing" because it is "the right thing is naive to put it mildly. Trusting untrustworthy people is a choice that is avoidable.

If enough people actually did the reverse .... and at least even indicated to them how hacked of they were with them, it might nudge them. But why do they need to bother now?

Still, each of us views these things differently and that is the way it should be.

:)

I would wager that over 98% of the people who sail on Silversea have no idea of the results of this or any other inspection. So it will have almost zero effect on bookings.

Oh, I believe quite a few SS sailors are aware of the inspection results. We see them on other cruise lines and it is a topic of conversation. My last two voyages were quite pleasant on Discoverer sailing at 35% capacity. That would be another SS ship that has flunked inspection.

There is a popular website listing future cruises where it is easy to see which trips are sold out. Maybe lethargic is the right word to describe SS.

Oh, I believe quite a few SS sailors are aware of the inspection results. We see them on other cruise lines and it is a topic of conversation. My last two voyages were quite pleasant on Discoverer sailing at 35% capacity. That would be another SS ship that has flunked inspection.

There is a popular website listing future cruises where it is easy to see which trips are sold out. Maybe lethargic is the right word to describe SS.

Glad you mentioned the other ship that "flunked inspection" (with much lower marks than the Shadow). If a ship is that bad, it really should not be sailing!

After years and hundreds of nights sailing Silversea, we just were not enjoying it as much anymore and did not feel safe onboard their ships.

The food had gone downhill, Butlers added, Caviar removed, service suffered and the "Silver Spirit" was no great new prize of a ship. Then they brought in a vivacious new president to run Silversea...re vamp the Venetian society etc......Then the Shadow failed it's first inspection and the president left shortly thereafter. She was a glimmer of hope....short lived.

Now the Shadow has failed a second inspection and this is just unacceptable. After all our sailing time, we heard stories from staff members of how bad Silversea's scheduling was. They would call them back from Vacations in the middle and move them around like chess pieces with no regard to them. Finding staff to stay long term became more and more a challenge over time and many Europeans would not work for Silversea anymore.

Silversea is one of the few privately owned cruiselines. It has been owned for the same wealthy (Inherited) family for years and more and more I really saw Silversea as Manfredi's "Folly". If this cruiseline had been run by someone like Lisa Lutoff Perlo who has been working and developing Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, successfully doubling their size while providing outstanding experiences to mid level cruisers.....I could only imagine what she could have done with Silversea on the upper levels.... This while Silversea is rumoured to have sold off one of their ships to a Chinese bank end of last year? Still trying to figure out that transaction??

The Silver Shadow failing inspection a second time says LOTS about management of this organization of Aged ships. I would not feel safe sailing with them at this time. Regent, Seabourn, Crystal have all been great as have some big suites on the new larger ships for family fun.

I wish Silversea Well and I hope they view this as a wakeup call. I still think they will be sold or merged soon. Too many missteps and they are not moving forward with the times.

Safe Sails to all!

I must say I am becoming a bit concerned about having recently booked our first 2 cruises on SS and on the Shadow (not counting Galapagos) after reading this thread. Not just the CDC business, but the recent comment from Cruiseerf that "not enjoying it as much anymore and did not feel safe onboard their ships." We are on B2B beginning February 13 in Singapore and ending In March in Hong Kong.

Some honest advice, please. Should we be thinking about looking elsewhere? In addition to CDC problems, is the ship rundown? Thanks.

I must say I am becoming a bit concerned about having recently booked our first 2 cruises on SS and on the Shadow (not counting Galapagos) after reading this thread. Not just the CDC business, but the recent comment from Cruiseerf that "not enjoying it as much anymore and did not feel safe onboard their ships." We are on B2B beginning February 13 in Singapore and ending In March in Hong Kong.

Some honest advice, please. Should we be thinking about looking elsewhere? In addition to CDC problems, is the ship rundown? Thanks.

I have hundreds of nights on SS. Though I do not feel unsafe on SS ships (apart from possible sanitation matters), I too have looked elsewhere in the luxury category. The ships are a bit run down, in my opinion. Food and beverage quality has clearly declined in the past several years. This is not, I feel certain, a problem with staff: Instead, it's a problem with the ingredients, cuts of meat, etc., that are provisioned.

Much is made of the "addition" of butlers. It's really a matter of recostuming, I think. There used to be a housekeeper and an assistant. Now there's a housekeeper and a butler. I have had several very unsatisfactory experiences with butlers -- especially as they are responsible for delivering on time all of the room service meals in their area at nearly the same time on port days.

As you could see, I have been a SS booster/defender over the years. Now, however, you ask for an honest opinion: Mine is, look elsewhere.

If you are looking for the small ship experience- Look at Seabourn.

We used to sail on Silversea and switched to Seabourn after experiencing bad food, service problems in main dining room etc.

It is not the same product it used to be in the past.

It makes me sad to see how Silversea keeps making the same mistakes and doesn't improve on the problems.

We love Seabourn- that is the only cruise line we will sail on.

Seabourn is always looking for ways to make the cruise experience the best it can.

They just formed a partnership with Thomas Keller.

http://www.seabourn.com/pageByName/Simple.action?requestPage=ChefThomasKeller

I wouldn't put too much weight on any individual's comments Yes, included caviar has been gone for several years. Reality is that it has been gone for way over a decade. Most of the European staff had vanished by 2006. There are some serious butlers, but you might have to seek them out.

Safety? I was on the Shadow when it collided with a small cargo ship in Ha Long Bay. An event that never would have been reported in the press had it not been for a low life couple on board with their camera rolling. I'll never forget the tedious muster drill the first day. "Crew screaming at adults "SHOULDER TO SHOULDER." I thought it was ridiculous. Then, a live muster drill after the collision and sanity and order are both missing.

How safe can you feel on a ship with Shadow's CDC scores and footnotes?

I wouldn't put too much weight any one person's comments.....especially mine.

In terms of the Seabourn recommendation, we would have tried them based on reviews. However, the fact that you can smoke on balconies seems to be drawing smokers to their ships (makes sense since all other luxury cruise lines have strict smoking policies that do not include smoking on your balcony). If you read the Seabourn board, there are many recent complaints about smoking.

Although we are Regent customers, we have sailed Silversea three times. I have recommended Silversea to Regent posters on CC. Unfortunately, I will no longer make that recommendation. I guess that Crystal is an option but I have a problem with making reservations for open seating. Also, they have just been purchased and who knows what will happen. This might be a good time for a new luxury cruise line to enter the market.

In terms of the Seabourn recommendation, we would have tried them based on reviews. However, the fact that you can smoke on balconies seems to be drawing smokers to their ships (makes sense since all other luxury cruise lines have strict smoking policies that do not include smoking on your balcony).

. . . .

Hapag-Lloyd is another superluxury cruise line that allows smoking on balconies, and their new modern, Europa2 ship is stunning, just look at the U-tube videos or the links member English Voyager posted on the "luxury cruising" forum. So they are likely also becoming competition for Seabourn (and SS) and then some.Though most pax are German-speakers, they now market themselves as catering to English-speaking pax as well ( e.g., anouncements and excursions in English as well as German, staff that speak English as well as German).

Many pax, even if non-smokers, myself included, simply do not care if people do or do not smoke on balconies if the rest of the offered product is excellent, though such pax are likely more hesitant to post their opinions ( or if they do, they are likely to be censored out if someone is offended)

I am also not put off by an occasional "health inspection failure" on paper, as inspectors can be overly picky, but I would be put off if there were suddenly massive outbreaks of norovirus or other infectious diseases, repeated collisions or close calls, and dirty cabins.

We have spent many nights on SS and have several more cruises booked with them. For anyone on the Shadow now, I would like to know who the higher up officers are. I think this could have an effect on all the issues. At least it did in 2013. We are booked again this summer for Alaska.