Marina (2 Threads Merged)

TIMAS

Let's hope you are right, Lyn about it all being over soon. The CDC site supposedly covers all outbreaks of GI sickness over the 2% level, not just Noro, so I will be curious if they post anything.

Me too

Been there!! done that!! & do not want to do it again on a cruise :eek:

As of Saturday morning (5/2) the laundry rooms are still closed and the meats are still being overcooked. If you like well-done meats you won't have a problem!

First I've heard that Noro could be caused by rare meat! :confused:

First I've heard that Noro could be caused by rare meat! :confused:

I have not seen any confirmation it is NORO just speculation

Mura who is on the ship now has never said it was either

Generally one cooks red meat all the way through to kill E.Coli.

From the Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/e-coli/basics/causes/con-20032105

The hard part is that it could have started with meat from of O's supplier and not any passenger or crew. I'm sure y'all have heard about the food recalls in the US from time to time from tainted meat.

Edited by Honeymooner2006
Expanded thoughts a bit

When we were onboard the Marina last December, there were many folks that came down with the flu and colds. The staff did not start to stress use of the hand wipes until many people were sick. I recall that on Celebrity, use of the hand wipes was encouraged from day one of the cruise.

When we were onboard the Marina last December, there were many folks that came down with the flu and colds. The staff did not start to stress use of the hand wipes until many people were sick. I recall that on Celebrity, use of the hand wipes was encouraged from day one of the cruise.

Flu and colds??? Please see the above post. Flu and colds are not bacterial, they cannot be controlled by using hand sanitizers or wipes! They can be controlled by wearing face masks such as are commonly seen now in hospital ER waiting rooms or by following a common protocol of sneezing into your elbow! Please, people, educate yourselves. Antibacterials are not a magic bullet!

Flu and colds??? Please see the above post. Flu and colds are not bacterial, they cannot be controlled by using hand sanitizers or wipes! They can be controlled by wearing face masks such as are commonly seen now in hospital ER waiting rooms or by following a common protocol of sneezing into your elbow! Please, people, educate yourselves. Antibacterials are not a magic bullet!

You are correct in terms of the general population but the thing is that among people of our age and economic stratum, there typically isn't as much interpersonal contact, therefore a huge percentage of transmission for us is achieved by hands touching contaminated services and then mucous membrane.

Wash your hands often people, WITH hot water and SOAP (-and for as long as it takes to sing the alphabet song).

AND NEVER TOUCH YOUR EYES, without washing your hands first

My point was that if the hand wipes are useful, then their use should be stressed at all times, not only after many people are sick. I think the fact that there were many elderly folks on board made the illnesses spread faster.

I spoke with several people who were sick and had gone to the ship's Doctor. They were all diagnosed with the flu, and given an expensive drug. From my understanding of their symptoms, it seemed more likely they had a cold (like me), and the drugs would not help.

What is it a kindergarten class where the ship's staff must tell people to wash their hands, use the sanitizers, stay in the cabin if they are ill

Most people on Oceania are of an age they should know these things or do most people leave their common sense at home

When I was sick on the ship I went to bed & stayed away from the masses

I heard from someone today that spoke to someone in the know, and there was no Noro and no one has reported as sick so the ship is all clear.

No matter what the source of illness is, the CDC has the Vessel Sanitation Program and anyone with gastrointestinal illness gets reported. When ever people are in close proximity - and after flying in those germ laden airplanes - people are bound to transmit something. Good practice to hand wash and sanitize regardless - and isolate yourself if it's a cold, a virus or a bacteria. That's the one souvenir no one needs.

I think the fact that there were many elderly folks on board made the illnesses spread faster.

Very curious as to why you think that "elderly folks on board made the illnesses spread faster"?

It has been my experience that passengers that are sick, go on excursions in the bus, sit or stand next to you on the ship and cough without covering their mouths tend to spread illnesses faster. And, if there were children on board.......... well, just think about it.

Edited by Travelcat2

Very curious as to why you think that "elderly folks on board made the illnesses spread faster"?

It has been my experience that passengers that are sick, go on excursions in the bus, sit or stand next to you on the ship and cough without covering their mouths tend to spread illnesses faster. And, if there were children on board.......... well, just think about it.

I can't speak for the OP, but when I read that, my interpretation was that people of a certain age have immune systems that are weaker and are more likely to get sick when exposed to something. Although the ability to fight off a bug is not necessarily determined by age, age has a pretty good correlation to immune system strength. For example, if you read the Mayo Clinic thing I linked, you will see that with E Coli, the very young and elderly are particularly vulnerable. So while I wouldn't say "spread faster," I can't at the moment think of what phrase I would use to describe the concept.

And, of course, it's the internet. If I had a dollar for every time I was less than precise in expressing myself, I'd be on a cruise all the time! :)

I heard from someone today that spoke to someone in the know, and there was no Noro and no one has reported as sick so the ship is all clear.

Are you saying no one was reported sick or no one reported sick recently ??

Sorry - no NEW people reported sick recently.

Ok that is good news

I emailed Mura yesterday & as of 4pm laundry rooms still locked

They had a medical emergency onboard so delayed departing Port Canaveral

Tomorrow is a sea day so hope she will update us

Lyn

Below was recently posted on our Marina roll call - looks like good news.

Joanna

Just spoke to my contact at Oceania and the Marina has been cleared and ready for the next cruise! Maybe I'll be able to get my rare steak now. See you all in a very short time.

Arlene ;)